Jets sign TE Conklin

11 minutes ago, football guy said:

Neither Bawden or Wesco have guaranteed deals. Conklin will essentially play the Wesco role and provide better blocking/receiving ability. 

The draft will likely dictate who makes the final roster, but the chances are we will only carry 4 TE+HB/FB total. 

This year, expect both Uzomah and Conklin to play a lot in "featured" roles, with Uzomah at the F-TE and Conklin at the Y-TE. They will likely also draft 1-2 TEs, which would mean a very aggressive competition for those final 2 roster spots in camp. 

If he fits the role well then sign me up! Haven’t watched much of him. I liked bawden, but he’s not some fantastic player or anything 

Just now, BurntDice said:

If he fits the role well then sign me up! Haven’t watched much of him. I liked bawden, but he’s not some fantastic player or anything 

I think this is a very exciting signing. Would bet that he lasts here longer than Uzomah because his role is well defined, they know how they want to use him, and I don't think anyone in the draft will threaten his snaps. 

We'll probably draft a guy in the 3rd/4th round who will replace Uzomah in 2 years, but Conklin likely has a role here long-term. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

He's shown improvement every year since entering the NFL and at his age his best years should be coming up. Great signing.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Does this take mcbride off our board?  I hope not!!

Makes it less likely but not out of the question. There is room on most teams for 3 tight ends if they can also help out on special teams/block. 

So while trading up in the end of the 1st for Mcbride is 100pct off the table. If the Jets LOVE him and he falls to them in the 2nd, I could see them still taking him or another prospect later in the draft. The Steelers had Ebron and were developing Gentry and still took Freirmuth last year. 

A lot depends on these contracts and if we can get out of their contracts after 1 year. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

COMPLETE overhaul of the position!

Very nice

Lay those McBride thoughts to rest. If you think we’re going TE before the 4th or 5th round, if at all, then you’re taking crazy pills.

This time I agree, I can't see TE on the first 2 days now. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I also think Joe would rather draft another WR on a rookie deal.  At 10 we would have the pick of the litter most likely.  Hell even at 35 you could get a good one I think 

I don’t think you’re getting any certainty of WR production with any WR in this draft. But if you’re mostly running 2 WR packages then if the WR is worse than Davis you can let him develop and if he’s better then he takes those snaps. Both reasonable possibilities, but you’re not forcing a rookie WR on to the field.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I also think Joe would rather draft another WR on a rookie deal.  At 10 we would have the pick of the litter most likely.  Hell even at 35 you could get a good one I think 

Not a popular opinion on this board, but I also believe JD isn't ready yet to give up on the second draft pick he ever made as a GM (Mims)...

• Upvote 1

We get a WR at #10 and the pressure is really going to be on Wilson to produce this year. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but we have a damn good offensive group here now.

Our QB has to step up now. He has the pieces around him. I only wish we had a guy like Minshew around in case he doesn’t.

8 minutes ago, maury77 said:

On top of that, last year was his best season, so he may be a late bloomer. Jets could have gotten a steal here. I really like this signing, Reed and Tomlinson. 

This sounds more like the Maury of 2020 and earlier.  Not the 2021-22 version.

• Haha 2