Jets sign TE Conklin

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Probably. Wouldn’t mind a TE at 68 though. Maybe a Ruckert?

Amazingly, this is suddenly a somewhat crowded position on the depth chart.

2 legit starters signed in Uzomah and Conklin. 1 “hold the fort“ guy still under contract in Griffin. 2 developmental guys in Yeboah and Cager.

This signing is a tiny bit surprising only in that TE seems to be relatively deep in this Draft. With our picks I thought getting one of the top two or three guys in the Draft might be a smart idea. Younger, cheaper.

Griffin has to be a cut for cap space. With Conklin and uzomah averaging 15Mill a year they have to save Griffin’s 3.2M. 

• Upvote 1

Drinking atm to figure out how i feel.

It's a nice tandem to run 12 personnel, but can't help but feel like they just paid for the lesser version of Ruckert & Likely. Unless this team is committed to that package-scheme, then its hard to see them taking either; Ruckert is unlikely to make it out of the 2nd IMO, Likely? Who knows... you wanna talk about your swiss army knife, no one in the draft can keep up with Isaiah Likely in the H-Back/F-TE conversation. He's also the best downfield blocker of the whole TE class. 

Some of this has to be motivated by missing on MW & C.Ridley... needed to ensure we had some big red zone targets. 

(Guess i'll go cry, then put on some nipple clamps while I watch Jelani Woods film)

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Comparatively, he was horrid even in that context. The other Bears WRs were better. Just a concern.

The rumor - or the rumor his agent wants circulated - was that he wasn’t giving his best because he was pissed about being tagged.

Randy Moss was horrid in Oakland. 553 yds and 3 TDs. A year later in NE he becomes the (still-reigning) record holder for TD receptions in a season. Goes from 42 receptions to 23 TDs.

He’s still under 30 and wasn’t especially injured, so far as I’m aware. He missed a few games around Thanksgiving but his season was well deep in the sh**house already.

So who knows. But if he was pissed about the tag, then what he was after was a contract that few will look to give him now. Then again, all it takes is one. 

6 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Drinking atm to figure out how i feel.

It's a nice tandem to run 12 personnel, but can't help but feel like they just paid for the lesser version of Ruckert & Likely. Unless this team is committed to that package-scheme, then its hard to see them taking either; Ruckert is unlikely to make it out of the 2nd IMO, Likely? Who knows... you wanna talk about your swiss army knife, no one in the draft can keep up with Isaiah Likely in the H-Back/F-TE conversation. He's also the best downfield blocker of the whole TE class. 

Some of this has to be motivated by missing on MW & C.Ridley... needed to ensure we had some big red zone targets. 

(Guess i'll go cry, then put on some nipple clamps while I watch Jelani Woods film)

Being fair to him, it’s hard to bank on which player you’re going to get in round 2 or 3 (or wherever those guys are targeted).

If he’s armed with just Uzomah (and the actual stopgap in Griffin), it’d be the worst kept secret that the Jets are TE-hunting in the draft, leaving clear incentives for other teams to leapfrog us if targeting the same player(s).

He still might take one of those you wanted; he’s just not painted into a corner to do it. Since there was other interest to sign each FA, Douglas would have little trouble trading either one for a late pick just to clear cap space if he did but it was a numbers game. Trading seems to be his thing. 

• Upvote 2

So between Uzo and Conk, ~ 1,000 yards/year, give or take, of TE receiving yards.

And I believe Griffin is still on the roster as of now (unless I missed news of his being cut).

So between the three, ~1,300-1,400 yards of previous production on an annual basis.

One might now presume TE is addressed and will not be a draft target at all.

EDIT:  Nope, I see we are in fact cutting Griffin.

55 minutes ago, Paradis said:

sad rainy day GIF

I genuinely feel bad for you hombre; with your double TE draft plan.

This isn't what you wanted.

I can't deny I'm of a different mind about it. Injuries aside, our two biggest weak spots on offense last year were RG and TE, and we just upgraded both of those positions considerably in the last few days. 

I'm betting you'll still get one of your TE prospects, though. And Pickens in round 2 is still a distinct possibility. 

• Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So between Uzo and Conk, ~ 1,000 yards/year, give or take, of TE receiving yards.

And I believe Griffin is still on the roster as of now (unless I missed news of his being cut).

So between the three, ~1,300-1,400 yards of previous production on an annual basis.

EDIT:  Nope, I see we are in fact cutting Griffin.

You wouldn't think both Uzo and Conk are going to get 1,000 combined, would you? If so, that would be awesome. 850-900 combined would be great production. I guess it depends on Zach getting in a groove and having good numbers.

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Thats my guy at 38.  Breece Hall plus Michael Carter would be the most talented young backfield in the nfl.

MC also getting dinged up a bit. Coleman, Breece, and Carter is a Law Firm.

Serious though — RB is super important foe Wilson’s passing game both bc getting yards on the ground for makeable 3rd downs but also passing out of the backfield. These guys can do that. I don’t expect drafting Breece but IMO he’s one of if not the best back to come out in years and years 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Vader said:

MC also getting dinged up a bit. Coleman, Breece, and Carter is a Law Firm.

Serious though — RB is super important foe Wilson’s passing game both bc getting yards on the ground for makeable 3rd downs but also passing out of the backfield. These guys can do that. I don’t expect drafting Breece but IMO he’s one of if not the best back to come out in years and years 

Just makes waaaaay to much sense.  When u can get the best back in the draft at 38, you pounce.

I still believe we are taking the best wr in the draft at 10, the best tight end in the draft at 35 and the best rb in the draft at 38.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I genuinely feel bad for you hombre; with your double TE draft plan.

This isn't what you wanted.

I can't deny I'm of a different mind about it. Injuries aside, our two biggest weak spots on offense last year were RG and TE, and we just upgraded both of those positions considerably in the last few days. 

I'm betting you'll still get one of your TE prospects, though. And Pickens in round 2 is still a distinct possibility. 

It’s the worst part of being this invested in player development… College players become polarizing and free agents even more so. I should just be happy that we’re finally putting talent on the roster at the position, and giving ourselves some flexibility at the position…

but seriously, wtf 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

I watched the videos - my thoughts are he can catch the ball pretty well not many drops but he seems to go down pretty easily and a lot of catches that came up short of the 1st down which might or might not be his fault. He also doesn’t seem to run with power - no broken tackles. Maybe he has good speed for a tight end. I’m sure Douglas and company did their homework on him but I’m not overly impressed - yet!

• Upvote 2

I believe we carried 4 TEs most of the season.  Hard to remember with all the injuries.

Assuming that, which two of Griffin, Yeboah and Wesco would be worth keeping over one of the guys we could draft at 38 or 69?

I'm thinking they'd have no problem drafting a guy.  Players get hurt.  We could still field a really good 12 formation even if we lose one for a bit.  It's not a burning need anymore, but it's still a very good fit.

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

What we are seeing from JD is what a 6-27 record will do. One can only survive so long overseeing a horrendus team. He knows it 

No. This was part of the plan from the beginning.  Who did they miss out on in free agency last year?  Winning 2-3 more games in 20 or 21 meant nothing to the growth of this team.  The way things played out, this was always going to be the most important offseason for adding talent/plugging holes.  The team had to be torn down and be rebuilt. I don't understand why you don't see that.  Going 10-23 instead of 6-27 does what exactly?  And don't hand me the "winning culture" thing when 80% of the roster from the 20 season is already gone and half the teams in the NFL regress every season. It just required a little patience and some ability to look at the horizon,  and many on this board don't have the ability to do that.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

46 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The rumor - or the rumor his agent wants circulated - was that he wasn’t giving his best because he was pissed about being tagged.

Randy Moss was horrid in Oakland. 553 yds and 3 TDs. A year later in NE he becomes the (still-reigning) record holder for TD receptions in a season. Goes from 42 receptions to 23 TDs.

He’s still under 30 and wasn’t especially injured, so far as I’m aware. He missed a few games around Thanksgiving but his season was well deep in the sh**house already.

So who knows. But if he was pissed about the tag, then what he was after was a contract that few will look to give him now. Then again, all it takes is one. 

Yep. I’m not against it, if it was simply his low-key “Antonio Brown force their hand strategy” and there’s good football there - but, I dunno - no other teams are sniffing around it seems. Kirk, Gage and Zay Jones got paid first.

15 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

You wouldn't think both Uzo and Conk are going to get 1,000 combined, would you? If so, that would be awesome. 850-900 combined would be great production. I guess it depends on Zach getting in a groove and having good numbers.

Probably not, tbqh.  But they have the potential, individually, to be ~500-600 maybe. 

All depends on the system, who we play at WR, Zach's improvement, etc.

If Zach and the system utilize them to their maximum potential, ~800 or more combined should be a reasonable expectation from the duo at TE I'd think.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Absolutely.  Conklin is decent, but it’s not like the Jets just signed Travis Kelce and George Kittle.  The position could use a little more talent and depth, and maybe some more speed.   Maybe Likely or Dulcich.   

Yep.  I think this makes it less likely they’ll draft McBride and more likely they’ll draft Likely. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Probably not, tbqh.  But they have the potential, individually, to be ~500-600 maybe. 

All depends on the system, who we play at WR, Zach's improvement, etc.

If Zach and the system utilize them to their maximum potential, ~800 or more combined should be a reasonable expectation from the duo at TE I'd think.

Makes sense. These guys are going to help the run game too. O line is looking like it might improve, and then additionally we're bringing in TEs that are going to know how to block, crack, lead, etc. So then, the PA opens for our young QB who is pretty accurate and creative on the move.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

Makes sense. These guys are going to help the run game too. O line is looking like it might improve, and then additionally we're bringing in TEs that are going to know how to block, crack, lead, etc. So then, the PA opens for our young QB who is pretty accurate and creative on the move.

Oh aye, the O-line should very much be improved.  Better with Lakin Tomlinson, better if Becton comes back (and I remain hopeful he will), better at TE both blocking and catching.

It's a bit of a forum meme at this point, but "it all depends on Zach" is really true this year.

His support, I'm confident, will not be a limiting factor.  Especially if we, as I deeply hope we do, draft a WR (Wilson) at #10.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Why do you keep adding up yards like this? It doesn’t work that way. They were all on different offenses with different QBs with different other pieces all around them. You don’t just say “Oh, this one had 400 yards and that one had 600 yards, therefore we just added 400 and 600 yards to this year’s offense.”

The two the Jets added were 2 TEs on 2 separate offenses. It doesn’t work that way where you add up their individual yards as their respective teams’ primary TEs and now those #s stay the same for each — even as they split a lot of time with each other.

They’re people, not cars that don’t deviate miles driven from one owner to the next. They were added to give the team other options for their QB and OC, which will (hopefully) likewise free up their WRs some as well, plus do a better job helping the OL than the prior two; plus to further give the GM other options in the draft. Not specifically to say, “OK so… we had 3500 yards last year, and now we added 1000 more TE yards here, minus the 400 that went to last year’s TEs who won’t be here, so now that’s a net 600 yards we added, for a total of 4100 yards this year. Oh wait, never mind — we lost Crowder so just erase those 600 yards; we’re right back to where we started.” I expect that oversimplified logic from others; you’re smarter than that. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

52 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Being fair to him, it’s hard to bank on which player you’re going to get in round 2 or 3 (or wherever those guys are targeted).

If he’s armed with just Uzomah (and the actual stopgap in Griffin), it’d be the worst kept secret that the Jets are TE-hunting in the draft, leaving clear incentives for other teams to leapfrog us if targeting the same player(s).

He still might take one of those you wanted; he’s just not painted into a corner to do it. Since there was other interest to sign each FA, Douglas would have little trouble trading either one for a late pick just to clear cap space if he did but it was a numbers game. Trading seems to be his thing. 

I wanted us to invest the way I did 10 years ago when NE did so instead taking 2 in the draft.  I thought Uzo was smart. Cover your bases etc. …but now?.. one guy and it’ll be a price meets the pick decision I bet. Maybe they love Likely’s unique skill set a lot. 

Jelani Woods is all I have left. 

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Does this take mcbride off our board?  I hope not!!

2 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Typical Jets fan. Listen to what your GM is telling you.

You should be thanking Joe Douglas right now. We finally have a GM who isn’t going to spend valuable high round picks on a TE.

Anyone wanna tell him?

15 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Yep. I’m not against it, if it was simply his low-key “Antonio Brown force their hand strategy” and there’s good football there - but, I dunno - no other teams are sniffing around it seems. Kirk, Gage and Zay Jones got paid first.

Yeah, and I’m still baffled by how much Kirk got. OK sure, inflation and all that, but holy hell I’m not sure I’d have been spiking my fan ball if we’d signed him for $11MM per (with 3 years guaranteed). At $18MM per, as a fan I’d be furious. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Yep.  I think this makes it less likely they’ll draft McBride and more likely they’ll draft Likely. 

I think more likely the feel the need to hedge in case McBride isn’t there at 38, or if he is there at 35 but if a better option is there at the time. McBride isn’t Mickey Shuler… yet.

JD is giving himself lots of options. He’s working his spreadsheet 

16 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Why do you keep adding up yards like this? It doesn’t work that way. They were all on different offenses with different QBs with different other pieces all around them. You don’t just say “Oh, this one had 400 yards and that one had 600 yards, therefore we just added 400 and 600 yards to this year’s offense.”

Potential yards.  Not definite yards.

The two the Jets added were 2 TEs on 2 separate offenses. It doesn’t work that way where you add up their individual yards as their respective teams’ primary TEs and now those #s stay the same for each — even as they split a lot of time with each other.

Again, potential.  They've shown themselves elsewhere to be capable of being 400-500 yard a year type players.

In an effective Offense that utilizes the TE's, and with players of their caliber of talent, a net total of ~7-800 yards is somewhat reasonable, or if you prefer, possible.

They’re people, not cars that don’t deviate miles driven from one owner to the next. They were added to give the team other options for their QB and OC, which will (hopefully) likewise free up their WRs some as well, plus do a better job helping the OL than the prior two; plus to further give the GM other options in the draft. Not specifically to say, “OK so… we had 3500 yards last year, and now we added 1000 more TE yards here, minus the 400 that went to last year’s TEs who won’t be here, so now that’s a net 600 yards we added, for a total of 4100 yards this year. Oh wait, never mind — we lost Crowder so just erase those 600 yards; we’re right back to where we started.” I expect that oversimplified logic from others; you’re smarter than that. 

Sorry you feel it's oversimple, but I wouldn't agree. 

Crowders touches WILL go somewhere else.  To other WR's, or now perhaps to the TE's.  A better WR or TE also makes more catches, and more YAC, than an inferior player, improving yards.  Better WR play draws coverage away from the TE, providing more open looks and more productive gains.

In looking forward, the past is our best guide to the future.  We may have had 3,500 passing yards last year (I'll take your word on it), but I would expect an improved team with improved players to get more, so more yards for our primary WR's and TE's.

What is your objection exactly, apart from being overly simple?  Is a hope on my part for an effective TE combo catching upwards of 800 yards problematic in some way?  Clearly it's just my own hope/estimate, if all goes well (and all rarely goes well), a ceiling if you will.