Potential Big Trade

Be_a_Jet

9 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I think this is just more Joe being joe and building the right way, keeping his options open, he doesn't have any BIG FA guy he brought in yet, he is still trying to build us to decent talent level and stabilize us with a good roster. But doing these smart shopping acquisitions and adding guys, he knows one might pop off or he might have an op come up. I am thinking not so much a big trade which i agree is possible - DK - but I think he is thinking Lawson but be his guy....anyway I simply think that he did do it deliberately to give him the option not necessarily for this year, but just any time and wants the ability to make a push on someone if needed. 

Smart GM, Smart roster building.  I actually do not want us to get DK , I rather we draft our own number 1 that start paying someone elses. Not saying it is a bad move, but I just think it might be better move if there think they can draft their own DK and those cheap years.

This may be the case, that’s true. Or he may be setting up cap for someone he had in mind. We really would never know but just speculating based off reports and also his own comments about using assets to get a player. 

it’s all speculation though.

I would like DK personally. And primary argument is getting Zach help immediately- a QBs career is really defined and formed in that first contract (for most) and I think it’s worth it if we don’t part with too much draft capital …and i emphasize the IF part. 

Guess we’ll see. It’s not outside the realm of possibility- We’ve seen plenty of crazy trades already this season between Russell and Davante 

8 hours ago, Paradis said:

I forecasted this in my WR after rnd 1 thread. 

• We were prepared to go hard after M. Williams and or Calvin Ridley
  • We didn't like Cooper Contract/situation
  • I don't think they see #10 pick is a viable solution

So that "Desire" or perceived "Need" didn't disappear. Joe "Frugal" Douglas was gonna *pop* a rubber band on a roll. So a trade is definitely a possible... 

• Yes? Hollywood Brown...on his way out, not "big" like Williams, but we signed 2 tall TEs and Brown is a homerun hitter
  • No. DK Metcalf... won't happen. $$ + he's the opposite of the culture guy Joe covets. Ego Maniac on the horizon. 
  • Yes? DJ Moore... I hear he's available. He's again someone that fits the mold outside of what we're looking for. 
  • Yes? Brandon Aiyuk... Dunno what happened last year but he was uber productive w/ LaFleur in his rookie year.

Anyone else would be Dline/defensive, unless DEN with contracts to Tim Patrick and Sutton wanted to recoup a 2nd/3rd for Jeudy given all the capital they paid for Russell Wilson. 

A DJ Moore acquisition would be great. Brown and Wilson would be interesting - inconsistent hands but a big time deep threat. Like a healthier version of Fuller in a weird way. Feel like SF likes Aiyuk and he sticks, think the situation got better but what do I know.

9 hours ago, derp said:

A DJ Moore acquisition would be great. Brown and Wilson would be interesting - inconsistent hands but a big time deep threat. Like a healthier version of Fuller in a weird way. Feel like SF likes Aiyuk and he sticks, think the situation got better but what do I know.

Agreed, DJ would be a great option. If Carolina misses out on Watson, who knows the direction the team goes. He's on his 5th year option, so he'll get a big contract after this year. Maybe, they press for a QB in the draft, and we can swap #4 and #6, plus give them our 2nd #35. That's probably equal to a lower 1st overall. Optically, were not giving them back there 2nd.  We also have plenty of extra picks to make a deal. If I'm Carolina I'd still keep him though, as you want guys like him to help a young QB. However, if they blow it up, maybe he become available. A guy can dream.

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Would Hunter be a bad add?

We still draft edge at 4 and he becomes part of a great rotation.  It might limit his injury risk only playing 40 percent of the snaps.  

Hunter

Lawson

JFM

Walker/Thibs

Martin

Huff

Quarterback killers in waves! 

Just now, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Would Hunter be a bad add?

We still draft edge at 4 and he becomes part of a great rotation.  It might limit his injury risk only playing 40 percent of the snaps.  

Hunter

Lawson

JFM

Walker/Thibs

Martin

Huff

Quarterback killers in waves! 

It's a risky add because his recent injury history. Personally I want us to try to stick with players with a very clean injury history but when it comes to a potential big time pass rusher I might take the risk for the right price.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

It's a risky add because his recent injury history. Personally I want us to try to stick with players with a very clean injury history but when it comes to a potential big time pass rusher I might take the risk for the right price.

If the cost is a low draft pick, I'd take the chance.  

We have the space and he can be cut next year if it doesn't work out.  I'm still taking edge at 4 or 10 though. 

It allows the potential of a GREAT pass rush.  

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Didn't one of the rumor tweets indicate that the Jets would be looking into a trade with a cap space closer to the draft or during it? I thought it was phrased in such a way that made it sound like that was the timing - more than speculation that it COULD be the timing. Maybe I misunderstood it. 

19 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

Didn't one of the rumor tweets indicate that the Jets would be looking into a trade with a cap space closer to the draft or during it? I thought it was phrased in such a way that made it sound like that was the timing - more than speculation that it COULD be the timing. Maybe I misunderstood it. 

One of JD’s best FA signings last year happened way late with Morgan Moses. I’d guess JD likes carrying some Cap space and flexibility into the Draft and into the Summer. 

• Upvote 1