Why don’t fans want stars?

kmnj

It seems like every time a big star is signed to a big deal a good amount of fans on this board say not worth the money or jets need to build through the draft - the last legit star  the jets have ever brought in during his prime was Curtis and that worked out just great . Yes the draft is important but we have also seen many times how much a stud player can help change the dynamics of a team - I am not saying we had a snowballs chance in hell at getting Adams but can’t understand how one person could say they r glad the jets didn’t get him- I mean diggs basically was the impetus for Allen’s development in buffalo. It would be nice to have a hall of fame caliber player on the team . Wilson to Adams would have been a spectacular thing to watch 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

3 minutes ago, kmnj said:

It seems like every time a big star is signed to a big deal a good amount of fans on this board say not worth the money or jets need to build through the draft - the last legit star  the jets have ever brought in during his prime was Curtis and that worked out just great . Yes the draft is important but we have also seen many times how much a stud player can help change the dynamics of a team - I am not saying we had a snowballs chance in hell at getting Adams but can’t understand how one person could say they r glad the jets didn’t get him- I mean diggs basically was the impetus for Allen’s development in buffalo. It would be nice to have a hall of fame caliber player on the team . Wilson to Adams would have been a spectacular thing to watch 

Because if Adams tried to get out of Green Bay imagine what he would do with New York. He was never going to be a Jet, even if he was traded.

There haven't really been other players with as much star in them, and for the ones that were they wanted to go to championship teams, not teams that haven't made the playoffs since before players like Russell Wilson were even in the league.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, kmnj said:

I'm sure Dallas would love to give us their star RB with his $17 mil cap hit right now.  

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, kmnj said:

When is the last time that a team with the highest paid player at a skill position won the Super Bowl?

• Upvote 3

49 minutes ago, kmnj said:

Allen showed his potential, Diggs was the piece needed to realize it.

Wilson hasnt shown anything yet.  Acquiring a big time WR could very well lead to a disgruntled cancer in the lockerroom, and undue extra pressure on the kid.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, kmnj said:

Diggs was traded to the vikings for the pick they used to get Justin Jefferson. 

Pretty sure the Bills would rather have Jefferson. 

Cause some if not most fans can apply basic math and know how to divide be 22 if not 53.

Also ... most fans dont think any human playing a game is worth 200 million for any reason.

Also ... fans have seen players get paid and retire on the field.

Finally.. cause... jealous.
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

There were a few 'stars' plenty of us were clamoring for - I know I threw a temper tantrum when we didn't trade for Amari Cooper. And he was a borderline star at best, but certainly being paid like one.

I never thought the Adams move was realistic for us - both in cost to get him and cost to sign him - but most likely because he wouldn't want to come here. He wanted to play with Carr/be a Raider. Ok I get it. 

Other than that? I mean who was really a star that was available? Many of us would trade that 10th pick straight up for DK, even with his supposed diva attitude.

I'm impatient at this point to get better. It's been too long since any meaningful games were played and a good product was enjoyed on Sundays. 

I also understand attracting stars from another team usually requires having some stars/momentum of your own. We'll need to do that first.

7 hours ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

He's had Rodgers as his QB and even then he's only had 3 seasons out of 8 of >1000 yards in an age where 1000 yds is not impressive.

Cooper has had 5 out of 7 over 1000 yards and nowhere near the love that Adams gets.  While Adams had arguably the most talented QB throwing to him

Add in for all the difference they see Adams bringing to the Jets, what exactly has he won in GB with a HOF all time great QB to make that difference a given?

• Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Adams is 100% a HoFer

He's also the type of player that doesn't want to stay on the 4 or less losses each year team because they don't do well in the playoffs.

Not the type of player a rebuilding Jets team needs.

3 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Cause some if not most fans can apply basic math and know how to divide be 22 if not 53.

Also ... most fans dont think any human playing a game is worth 200 million for any reason.

Also ... fans have seen players get paid and retire on the field.

Finally.. cause... jealous.

Your not talking about Mo Wilkerson by any chance?

He's also the type of player that doesn't want to stay on the 4 or less losses each year team because they don't do well in the playoffs.
Not the type of player a rebuilding Jets team needs.

Adams was awesome when his QB was *checks notes* Brett Hundley. It’s not a chicken or egg thing. Both Rodgers and Adams can be great without the other.

I quoted the wrong person. Sorry, homie. Adams also wanted to play for the Raiders so any argument is moot. Dude rules tho.
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, kmnj said:

thats because buffalo had a better roster then us. they were maybe one or 2 players away.

we had the worst defense in NFL history with holes and no depth everywhere. and you want to take 30 mil in cap space away and 2 high draft picks?

plus when Buffalo got Diggs he was making 14 mil a year. not 28 mil. plus your paying Adams for what he did in GB. there was no way he puts up those numbers with us. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

Curtis Martin was a star.  He was also a Hall of Fame player.

Amari Cooper, Allen Robinson, and Davante Adams are not Hall of Fame players.  You find HoFers in the draft and keep them around for 10+ years.

Davante Adams is a better receiver than Curtis Martin was a running back.

Was Curtis Martin for even one second ever considered the best RB in football?

Edit: Curtis Martin is the best running back since leather helmets

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Jets fans have a deep-seated fear of winning football games, which is why they hate it when new coaches or GMs come in and try to fix the team, but lionize coaches that they know are actively hurting the team. 

Excellent self analysis!

it’s not that we don’t want stars.  We really do.  It’s that we want the jets to draft them rather than overpay aging starts in free agency when the team doesn’t have a quarterback and isn’t set up to win.  All that has done is ruined the cap situation for the next gm who comes in and has to wait until these bad contracts expire.

• Upvote 2

For me, its not that I don't want star players on the team (via free agency or via trade), its that I don't want this team giving out massive contracts to players that ultimately wont make a real difference.  A 4 win team acquiring devonte adams is now a 6 win team. Timing is everything. Buffalo was ready to compete when they went out and got diggs. Star players that are willing to take massive contracts on teams that won't compete should be a red flag to begin with. This team isn't ready to go out and make a trade for a devonte adams, amari cooper and etc. this team isn't ready to sign the von millers or the chandler jones's. You go and get those guys when you need those different makers to turn your team from a playoff contender into a super bowl contender. You need to have a base, a core, before you start trying to acquire the "star" players. We've been watching so much bad football over the last decade that a lot of fans just want to fast forward through the team building and go right for the star players. The winning teams don't operate like that. You go after those star players when your team is competitive, this team is being built, it isn't built yet. Even the most pessimistic jets fan should like what they are seeing right now. I can see this team being a bit more aggressive when it comes to getting elite talent in the 23' and 24' seasons if this build goes according to plan. 

• Upvote 2

Some Jets fans are really picky about the players they support. QBs like Rodgers would be hated in NY because he’s too much of diva. The star player needs to be more like Cooper Kupp personality wise. But even that’s not enough. Revis was a top notch professional (master of his craft) who we drafted but he wanted to get paid. So he hit the dog house.