Why don’t fans want stars?

kmnj

31 minutes ago, extmenace said:

For me, its not that I don't want star players on the team (via free agency or via trade), its that I don't want this team giving out massive contracts to players that ultimately wont make a real difference.  A 4 win team acquiring devonte adams is now a 6 win team. Timing is everything. Buffalo was ready to compete when they went out and got diggs. Star players that are willing to take massive contracts on teams that won't compete should be a red flag to begin with. This team isn't ready to go out and make a trade for a devonte adams, amari cooper and etc. this team isn't ready to sign the von millers or the chandler jones's. You go and get those guys when you need those different makers to turn your team from a playoff contender into a super bowl contender. You need to have a base, a core, before you start trying to acquire the "star" players. We've been watching so much bad football over the last decade that a lot of fans just want to fast forward through the team building and go right for the star players. The winning teams don't operate like that. You go after those star players when your team is competitive, this team is being built, it isn't built yet. Even the most pessimistic jets fan should like what they are seeing right now. I can see this team being a bit more aggressive when it comes to getting elite talent in the 23' and 24' seasons if this build goes according to plan. 

So if the Jets wind up being competitive this year we made a mistake not getting ______?

What is competitive?

How do you know when you're one player away? Is there a countdown or ticker? And what if you're two players away? Don't get the guy that puts you in a spot to be one player away?

What if you're THREE players away?

• Upvote 1

Stars don’t win games on their own. This team sucks and has sucked for the better part of three decades. No one single player will change that no matter how much money they give him.  Signing them to a huge deal is usually the way to ruin a team. 

i think the better question is do you really think the Raiders are going to win the Super Bowl next year? 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I don't know.  I want stars.

The Fans I know want stars.

We just want the right stars, at the right positions, and at the right price for the team today.

Maybe your premise is mistaken?

The fact is Davante Adam’s didn’t want us or Green Bay. Dude took less to be reunited with David Carr. Personally, I would like stars but prefer to draft them rather than sign them. But, either way I would certainly be ok if it got  this team more wins. I’d say 95% of this board shares that sentiment. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Gastineau Lives said:

So if the Jets wind up being competitive this year we made a mistake not getting ______?

What is competitive?

How do you know when you're one player away? Is there a countdown or ticker? And what if you're two players away? Don't get the guy that puts you in a spot to be one player away?

Competitive is not turning the game off at half time in utter discussed. 

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Jets fans have a deep-seated fear of winning football games, which is why they hate it when new coaches or GMs come in and try to fix the team, but lionize coaches that they know are actively hurting the team. 

Door flies open

11 hours ago, kmnj said:

It seems like every time a big star is signed to a big deal a good amount of fans on this board say not worth the money or jets need to build through the draft - the last legit star  the jets have ever brought in during his prime was Curtis and that worked out just great . Yes the draft is important but we have also seen many times how much a stud player can help change the dynamics of a team - I am not saying we had a snowballs chance in hell at getting Adams but can’t understand how one person could say they r glad the jets didn’t get him- I mean diggs basically was the impetus for Allen’s development in buffalo. It would be nice to have a hall of fame caliber player on the team . Wilson to Adams would have been a spectacular thing to watch 

Fans want the Jets to acquire those "big stars" through the draft. The Bengals drafted Mixon, Burrow, Chase and Higgins.  The Chiefs drafted Hill/Kelce/Mahomes. The Packers drafted Adams/Rodgers/Jones/Dillon. The Chargers drafted Herbert/Ekeler/Keenan/Williams.  Now that those teams have that core of players, they supplement via free agency. We are still in the process of adding those pieces with Wilson/Carter/Moore and hopefully a dominant offensive line in a couple of years. 

When we start playing like a playoff contender we can start adding in high priced vets to fill in the gaps. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Because fans make themsleves feel smart or responsible with money

Its all bullsh*t.....teams dont get broke in the NFL. Like I said before the Saints are in "Cap hell" and will win more games then half this league

Didn't the Cowboys just have to let Amari Cooper/La'ell Collins/Connor Williams and even Cedric Wilson walk for pretty much nothing because of the  "bullsh#t" cap that you think doesn't exist? 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, DirtyJersey said:

Allen showed his potential, Diggs was the piece needed to realize it.

Wilson hasnt shown anything yet.  Acquiring a big time WR could very well lead to a disgruntled cancer in the lockerroom, and undue extra pressure on the kid.

Diggs was also several years younger then Adams is now. 

You don't get a lot of 25-26 year old stars traded, or on the market as a Free Agent.  When they do, the cost is really high.  The Bears gave up 2 first rounders and made Khalil Mack the highest paid defender in the league, did that really help get them over the top?  Ask the Seahawks how much it helped them to get the best safety in the NFL.

It can happen, if you already have a good team, the Rams did it with Ramsey, and that helped them quite a bit.

Mainly, if you want some great players, you need to draft them.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, chirorob said:

You don't get a lot of 25-26 year old stars traded, or on the market as a Free Agent.  When they do, the cost is really high.  The Bears gave up 2 first rounders and made Khalil Mack the highest paid defender in the league, did that really help get them over the top?  Ask the Seahawks how much it helped them to get the best safety in the NFL.

It can happen, if you already have a good team, the Rams did it with Ramsey, and that helped them quite a bit.

Good point. And as i noted earlier in this thread, the Vikings used the 1st round pick from the Bills to get Justin Jefferson. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Some Jets fans are really picky about the players they support. QBs like Rodgers would be hated in NY because he’s too much of diva. The star player needs to be more like Cooper Kupp personality wise. But even that’s not enough. Revis was a top notch professional (master of his craft) who we drafted but he wanted to get paid. So he hit the dog house.  

Is Rodgers a diva or does he just tell it like it is ? If I were Rodgers I would be pissed as well if my team wasted picks on project QB's when you have 6-7 years left to play. When you compete for a SB every year because your QB is probably the best in the league, smart, and has been carrying you on his shoulders for years at some point maybe he should have some say within the organization.  Teams want QB's to be Everything Play Well, Deal with the Media, Be a locker room guy and rally the team but have no say in personnel decisions ? Everyone listens to Brady now Rodgers may feel he should get the same respect. The guy wants his team to target certain players Via FA so his team has a better chance to win and a lot of the time the Packers take the opposite route and let players go. I don't think Rodgers is a Diva I think we live in a world where most people just can't handle the guy who speaks the truth.

• Upvote 1

Someone should give the Seahawks the best safety in the NFL so we can ask them.

I’m sure they’d settle for one who’s merely good.

24 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Is Rodgers a diva or does he just tell it like it is ? If I were Rodgers I would be pissed as well if my team wasted picks on project QB's when you have 6-7 years left to play. When you compete for a SB every year because your QB is probably the best in the league, smart, and has been carrying you on his shoulders for years at some point maybe he should have some say within the organization.  Teams want QB's to be Everything Play Well, Deal with the Media, Be a locker room guy and rally the team but have no say in personnel decisions ? Everyone listens to Brady now Rodgers may feel he should get the same respect. The guy wants his team to target certain players Via FA so his team has a better chance to win and a lot of the time the Packers take the opposite route and let players go. I don't think Rodgers is a Diva I think we live in a world where most people just can't handle the guy who speaks the truth.

I don't really view him as a diva. Like you said, he’s outspoken. But I’ve been on this forum long enough to know that some Jets dont like him because he is outspoken and view that as him being a diva.

Revis is the perfect example to me. Just like Devonte Adams, Revis was a master of his craft and was the best at his position. Revis was the key player on those Jets teams that actually won games. Just like Adams, he wanted to get paid accordingly. The owners said no and traded them. Revis was a star that the owner did not want to pay. Some Jets fans hate Revis for that instead of the owner.

There are very few stars who are low key and are willing to get paid under market value. Unless you fit that criteria, you wont be universally loved by Jets fans. Unless you win a SB.

Not against big stars, however none of them want to come to the JETS yet... If JD kills this draft in 2022, then I have a feeling that maybe 2022 FA can look a bit different. Not saying JD will do it, but if we're better and players see the improvement, maybe that will change their minds on this org.

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

Pretending Adams was a great safety because he got some sacks if like pretending JJWatt was a great DE because he caught some goal line tds.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

What is competitive?

The Jets are coming off a 2 win and 4 win season. We are all clearly on the same page on this board that the team has so many spots that need to be upgraded. This offseason is looking like a step in the right direction, at least on paper. You're right though, you have no idea when you know until you see how things are going on the field. What we all do know is that the jets were ranked 28th in points per game on offense last year. The jets were dead last in yards allowed per game last year. We know that this team is drafting 4th overall a year after they drafted 2nd overall. Teams can turn it around quickly, but lets be honest here, did we see a lot last year that is screaming that this team is close? 

In my opinion, I think next year has the potential to be the year where we may start to get that feeling. 

13 hours ago, kmnj said:

It seems like every time a big star is signed to a big deal a good amount of fans on this board say not worth the money or jets need to build through the draft - the last legit star  the jets have ever brought in during his prime was Curtis and that worked out just great . Yes the draft is important but we have also seen many times how much a stud player can help change the dynamics of a team - I am not saying we had a snowballs chance in hell at getting Adams but can’t understand how one person could say they r glad the jets didn’t get him- I mean diggs basically was the impetus for Allen’s development in buffalo. It would be nice to have a hall of fame caliber player on the team . Wilson to Adams would have been a spectacular thing to watch 

Of course everyone wants a player the caliber of adams. However, our team stinks. We have no drafted talent on this team from prior to 2019, hence, we are incredibly thin. So knowing this, do you really believe its worth giving a 1st, 2nd and 30M per year to adams or can those assets have a larger impact to improve the team as a whole?

When people say they don’t want adams, it’s because they’re considering the entire picture. If adams is the last piece you need to win a Super Bowl, fine, spend everything and anything to get him. But I’m not even convinced we make the playoffs with adams.

14 hours ago, kmnj said:

Getting a “star” is not the most important thing.  The important thing is how that “star” fits both on the field in terms of helping the team win and salary cap wise.  You could call Jamal a “star” but he made no difference when it came to helping our team win, he wasn’t worth the money he wanted, and we got great assets for him in a trade.  

We are not a team ready for stars right now, whether that be financially or competitively. Star players want to win. We are not ready to win. In order to attract these stars we need to pay "the bad team tax". This is irresponsible and how you end up in cap hell. Looking at the Jags as I say this. Our team is not a piece or two away. Remember, the raiders were in the playoffs last year. We had 4 wins. we need to build the middle of our roster to be a competent team first. For example, spending 14m a year on marcus williams, or 18m a year for Whitehead and Reed.

• Upvote 1

We are not a team ready for stars right now, whether that be financially or competitively. Star players want to win. We are not ready to win. In order to attract these stars we need to pay "the bad team tax". This is irresponsible and how you end up in cap hell. Looking at the Jags as I say this. Our team is not a piece or two away. Remember, the raiders were in the playoffs last year. We had 4 wins. we need to build the middle of our roster to be a competent team first. For example, spending 14m a year on marcus williams, or 18m a year for Whitehead and Reed.

We haven’t been “ready for stars” in over a decade. This is hilarious. Rebuilding has just been going stellar for us hasn’t it?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

11 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

We haven’t been “ready for stars” in over a decade. This is hilarious. Rebuilding has just been going stellar for us hasn’t it?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

If we want stars we have to draft them. Tampa built a nice core, but needed a few stars to get over the edge. Enter Brady, Gronk, AB, Shaq Barret. The rams built a contender but needed a few stars to secure their ring. Enter Stafford, Von Miller, OBJ and Ramsey. These teams were good before adding star talent because of drafting. Wirfs, Vea, Cappa, Godwin, Evans, Whitehead, Carlton Davis, Devin White, Murphy-Bunting etc. In LA you had Donald, Kupp, Goff (a starting QB who was a trade piece), Havenstein on top of smart free agent signings like Whitworth and Woods. 

Whens the last time we've drafted or signed guys like this. If you add either group of guys to our roster right now we may be a wild card team, but won't win a ring. We haven't been ready for stars in a decade because we've had Geno Smith and Ryan Fitzpatrick throwing the ball. We are not a piece away. We are not 5 pieces away. We are a competent roster away from being a few pieces away.