What ever happened to Jalen Wydermyer ?

Six months ago this guy was all over the news rated as the most polished TE prospect in the 2022 Draft. Rated over Trey McBride because he is Game Day Ready. He is considered more of a pure receiving TE  rather than a Blocking TE which is why a number of Talent Evaluation service place him behind McBride. Wydermyer's name still pops up on the NFL Network crawl and no one ranks him below Isaiah Likely. But his mentions have evaporated over the last 90 days.

10 hours ago, jetsons said:

Don't worry, he'll be 1 of the top 3 TE's taken.

Probably but the top group does seem to be a revolving door every week.

I'd say the top tier is (in no particular order):

• Wydermeyer
  • Ruckert
  • McBrode
  • Dulcich
  • Likely
  • Otton
  • Kolar

There's another few guys not far off the bottom of this list as well, maybe 10-12 in all.

I think you could see any of Wydermeyer, McBride, Likely, Ruckert and Dulcich go top-3.  If any of them are available at #69, I would probably jump if we didn't grab one in round 2.  Weirdly deep group this year.  No Pitts, but a lot of guys who are interesting.

3 minutes ago, Vader said:

TE is not a particularly interesting position, especially after Pitts last year. Wydermyer is still on the radar of everyone, just the buzz in this draft isn’t around this particular position.  

Why do you say that?  Pitts had over 1K yards as a rookie on a bad team.  

image.thumb.png.9dd89aa95a5c79c5f454f8c98dcb9327.png

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Why do you say that?  Pitts had over 1K yards as a rookie on a bad team.  

image.thumb.png.9dd89aa95a5c79c5f454f8c98dcb9327.png

There’s nothing that approaches the excitement of a prospect like Pitts… These guys are boring  in comparison. Dime a dozen.

1 hour ago, Vader said:

There’s nothing that approaches the excitement of a prospect like Pitts… These guys are boring  in comparison. Dime a dozen.

Oh I see what you're saying now.  I misunderstood.   I still think these prospects seem like they're pretty good.  But a lot of times TE prospects end up underachieving (at least from a fan's perspective).  I remember the buzz on OJ Howard.  He didn't put up any kind of amazing numbers

• Upvote 1

On 3/18/2022 at 12:04 PM, nycdan said:

Probably but the top group does seem to be a revolving door every week.

I'd say the top tier is (in no particular order):

• Wydermeyer
  • Ruckert
  • McBrode
  • Dulcich
  • Likely
  • Otton
  • Kolar

There's another few guys not far off the bottom of this list as well, maybe 10-12 in all.

I think you could see any of Wydermeyer, McBride, Likely, Ruckert and Dulcich go top-3.  If any of them are available at #69, I would probably jump if we didn't grab one in round 2.  Weirdly deep group this year.  No Pitts, but a lot of guys who are interesting.

I like Cole Turner out of Nevada. Just catches everything, 6'-6, 250. Offensive minded TE the Jets could get with one of their 5th round picks. 

image.jpeg.37ad551700107161b0c5766399e81b99.jpeg

5 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Damn. I was gonna post because he is a mediocre blocker and bad pass catcher. I did not see that Pro Day coming. The TE group has dropped since the Senior Bowl. McBride as TE1 is becoming a mid 2nd round projection. 

Agreed. Additionally, I still am a fan of Likely, but I don't think he's a candidate for us after the two guys we picked up. I think we're also set on a combo TE than a receiving one.

Btw, Leal needs explosive numbers as well to recoup some of his overhyped prospect status earlier in the year. Otherwise he just looks like a tweener that everyone claimed was athletic but has bad tape.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Agreed. Additionally, I still am a fan of Likely, but I don't think he's a candidate for us after the two guys we picked up. I think we're also set on a combo TE than a receiving one.

Btw, Leal needs explosive numbers as well to recoup some of his overhyped prospect status earlier in the year. Otherwise he just looks like a tweener that everyone claimed was athletic but has bad tape.

Leal is way out in the 3rd round now. You can be small at DT if you're a freak and Leal is not a freak. The guy is slower than Winfrey, Jones, Davis, and Wyatt who are all bigger than him.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

Damn. I was gonna post because he is a mediocre blocker and bad pass catcher. I did not see that Pro Day coming. The TE group has dropped since the Senior Bowl. McBride as TE1 is becoming a mid 2nd round projection. 

This is what I’ve been hinting at with JW over the last few months. Tape wasn’t impressive, lot production was aberrant plays. Mirage skill … this is worse than I expected tho.  In the Brevin Jordan discussion now. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

One thing about Likely to remember is that he is without a doubt the best downfield blocker in the passing game and those stretch runs. This, in addition to his multi-purpose talent as a play maker. 

there’s still hope, Skywalker. 

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Paradis said:

This is what I’ve been hinting at with JW over the last few months. Tape wasn’t impressive, lot production was aberrant plays. Mirage skill … this is worse than I expected tho.  In the Brevin Jordan discussion now. 

I was waiting for the "but he did it versus Alabama" comment so I could hit them with "so did Yeboah"

• Upvote 1

Seems like the 3rd-4th rounds are the potential sweet spot where there could be a group of guys with varying pros/cons the Jets could choose from.  The guys I'm starting to find interesting now are Dulcich and Otton.  Dulcich in particular is new to the TE position and seems like he may have one of the highest ceilings of the group.

On 3/18/2022 at 1:26 AM, WestCoastMole said:

Six months ago this guy was all over the news rated as the most polished TE prospect in the 2022 Draft. Rated over Trey McBride because he is Game Day Ready. He is considered more of a pure receiving TE  rather than a Blocking TE which is why a number of Talent Evaluation service place him behind McBride. Wydermyer's name still pops up on the NFL Network crawl and no one ranks him below Isaiah Likely. But his mentions have evaporated over the last 90 days.

I think he is just now finishing his 40 from his pro day.

• Sympathy 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jeremy Ruckert is my favorite TE.  McBride seems like a better prospect but he will need to be picked at 35/38.  I think Ruckert is a better value in the 3rd.

He is already a very strong blocker with an athletic upside which is what you need.  Yes Pitts had a great year but he is essentially a WR.  Having a TE who is an excellent blocker gives you a lot more for an offense and Ruckert really fits that

• Upvote 1

On 3/22/2022 at 1:20 PM, derp said:

I thought he was a little slow but wow that's bad. Apparently the vertical was actually 25.5" not 35.5" too.

i actually never got the Wydermyer hype. I saw coming into the year he was TE1 on a lot of lists, watched a bunch of AM this year and came away so underwhelmed i wanted no part of him. 

He looked slow, stiff, and such an unnatural pass catcher in the games I watched i didnt even bother to look at film on him. 

The guy thats been coming on really hard all offseason is Dulcich, he very well may be TE1 in the draft, i would say its probably split for teams between him and Mcbride.  With the current talk though id be surprised if any are taken in round 1

Jets will have their pick of TE probably if they want it in rd 2.