SI 15 players the Jets should avoid in the first round.

BugZy

1 hour ago, Bronx said:

wgn-tv chicago GIF by WGN Morning News

Where would I draft Zach Wilson?

Daniel Kelly’s Draft Board: 3rd round — and I would not select him if I was a GM. He would not even be on my draft board. It would be foolish to take him in the first round. He will get everybody fired. Best chance to succeed is in an offense filled with trick plays. 

All of Zach’s rare good plays were trick plays and desperation flings

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

4. WR Drake London, USC

USC WR Drake London celebrates catch

James Snook-USA TODAY Sports

A high-injury risk possession receiver with harder hands. Drops some he shouldn’t (88 catches/124 targets), struggles when contested, and his YAC is nothing special. London came up hobbling a couple times before finally breaking his ankle last season.

Anything but a deep threat.

FWIW, in the few times I watched London, this was my thought. He’s a tall, skinny dude who works the middle of the field, fights for yardage, and always looks like his legs are going to break. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That Jaguars team was absolutely tanking. 

Actually, I would argue that the only person who knew they were tanking was Urban. Fortunately for him he didn't have to try hard to make the whole team follow along for half the season

• Upvote 1

Prospects to Avoid in the First Round of the 2022 NFL Draft

This former New York Jets scout explains why these 15 different prospects shouldn't be picked in the first round during the 2022 NFL draft.

1. QB Kenny Pickett, Pitt
Pitt QB Kenny Pickett warms up before game
Jim Dedmon-USA TODAY Sports

A one-hit wonder who looks jumpy in the pocket. Prior to 2021, he threw a high interception-to-touchdown ratio over his first four college seasons (39 TD/25 INT). Pickett is rough around the edges and he does not throw the easiest ball to catch. Now his small-sized gloved hand will attempt to throw an even bigger NFL-regulation sized football.

Career back-up.

GRADE: FIFTH-ROUND

2. QB Sam Howell, North Carolina
North Carolina QB Sam Howell drops back to pass
Bob Donnan-USA TODAY Sports

A run-first QB and this year’s Zach Wilson, only without Wilson’s 4.4 (40) speed and ability to improvise. Howell runs a 5.07 and averaged 2.7 yards per-rushing-attempt. Howell hears footsteps, lacks downfield focus and has inconsistent ball placement at the intermediate to deep levels.

A bust waiting to happen.

GRADE: FIFTH-SEVENTH ROUND

3. WR Chris Olave, Ohio State
Ohio State WR Chris Olave lines up on offense
Adam Cairns/Columbus Dispatch / USA TODAY NETWORK

Coasts on natural ability and only cares about making the big highlight splash play. Easily gets re-routed and gives up if he is not the intended receiver. Routes tend to look sloppy and he struggles to create separation at the intermediate route level. YAC (yards after catch) is average looking. Has a small catch radius and he will not go out of his way (65 catches/103 targets).

Has “bust” written all over him.

4. WR Drake London, USC
USC WR Drake London celebrates catch
James Snook-USA TODAY Sports

A high-injury risk possession receiver with harder hands. Drops some he shouldn’t (88 catches/124 targets), struggles when contested, and his YAC is nothing special. London came up hobbling a couple times before finally breaking his ankle last season.

Anything but a deep threat.

GRADE: FOURTH-FIFTH ROUND

5. LT Evan Neal, Alabama
Alabama OT Evan Neal in action during bowl game
Kevin Jairaj-USA TODAY Sports

Mekhi Becton 2.0?

He was 390 pounds in high-school, but has “trimmed down” to 351. Will he stay there after he gets paid?

Even at 351, Neal showed questionable lateral foot speed.

GRADE: SECOND-ROUND

6. LT Charles Cross, Mississippi State
Mississippi State OT Charles Cross at NFL Combine
Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

Gets by with excellent technique.

Lacks lateral foot speed and anchor against strong bull rushes.

7. DT Jordan Davis, Georgia
Georgia DT Jordan Davis plays in National Championship
Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

This year’s combine darling who only managed to post 37 solo tackles and 7 sacks in his entire four years at Georgia (41 games). On game film, 340-pound Davis is a sub defensive lineman who is a very limited area run defender and an underachieving pass rusher.

A poor man’s Albert Haynesworth.

8. EDGE David Ojabo, Michigan
Michigan EDGE David Ojabo plays in Big Ten Championship Game
Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

Ojabo was dominated by Ohio State, and he tends to only get the easier kind of sacks in general.

Ojabo does not show the necessary speed or power it takes to make noise in the NFL.

GRADE: FOURTH-ROUND

9. EDGE George Karlaftis, Purdue
Purdue edge rusher George Karlaftis
Nikos Frazier / USA TODAY NETWORK

Relentless and uses his hands well.

Lacks elite speed and has stiffness in his hips that causes him to whiff sometimes in the pocket. Passive versus the run.

GRADE: SECOND-THIRD ROUND

10. EDGE Jermaine Johnson, FSU
Florida State EDGE Jermaine Johnson II works at NFL Combine
Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

A high effort opportunistic hustler with average speed, average playing strength and rigidity in his hips.

Johnson hit his ceiling in college.

11. EDGE Boye Mafe, University of Minnesota
Minnesota EDGE Boye Mafe pressures quarterback
Marc Lebryk-USA TODAY Sports

Mafe either wins through the backdoor of the pocket in a foot race or he is done. Easy for NFL tackles to prepare for.

Mafe has upside, but he is raw and unpolished.

GRADE: THIRD-ROUND

12. Derek Stingley Jr., LSU
LSU cornerback Derek Stingley Jr.
SCOTT CLAUSE/USA TODAY Network via Imagn Content Services, LLC

High injury risk.

His last interception was in 2019.

13. Safety Daxton Hill, Michigan 
A 4.3 (40) nickel with tightness in his hips - - and limited reps at safety. Excels at blitzing. 

Receivers for Wisconsin, Penn State, Ohio State and Iowa caught most everything against him. 

14. Safety Kyle Hamilton, Notre Dame 
An athlete with elite range who had a knee injury that sidelined him since Oct. 23. 

Plays like he does not love the game. 

15. WR Christian Watson, North Dakota State 
The 34th ranked FCS receiver in 2021 who despite his 4.36 combine speed, did not blow the doors off that level of competition - - or show that kind of speed on game film. He lacks burst, and labors at route breakpoints. 

Averaged 26 catches (last four seasons) playing lower level college ball.

GRADE: FOURTH-SEVENTH ROUND 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, k-met57 said:

i really wonder if someone got paid to write this...

He didn’t. That’s not actually Sports Illustrated, it’s Fan Nation presented by Sports Illustrated. Essentially SI realized they could make money if they hosted a fan blog like bleacher report used to be and they’d just pay for the bandwidth.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I'm not an ex-scout w/ blazing hot takes but I too think the Jets should avoid selecting a QB in the 1st round.

lazy article ... he could have saved himself a lot of time just removing the QB's and limiting it to 10. 

• Upvote 1

I just love the fact that he sh*t all over the "darlings" that many here want to grab for no reason other than they have name recognition or went to a particular school.  It's always fun to see who gets butthurt over seeing their special angels get called out as not worthy...

• Haha 1