SI 15 players the Jets should avoid in the first round.

BugZy

49 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

He didn’t. That’s not actually Sports Illustrated, it’s Fan Nation presented by Sports Illustrated. Essentially SI realized they could make money if they hosted a fan blog like bleacher report used to be and they’d just pay for the bandwidth.

ah, i was trying to figure out why an SI site looks like sh*t, and the content reads like sh*t. Thanks.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

4. WR Drake London, USC

USC WR Drake London celebrates catch

James Snook-USA TODAY Sports

A high-injury risk possession receiver with harder hands. Drops some he shouldn’t (88 catches/124 targets), struggles when contested, and his YAC is nothing special. London came up hobbling a couple times before finally breaking his ankle last season.

Anything but a deep threat.

FWIW, in the few times I watched London, this was my thought. He’s a tall, skinny dude who works the middle of the field, fights for yardage, and always looks like his legs are going to break. 

The kid looks pretty impressive... to me 

I think people have an exaggerated idea of what/who constitutes a low level scout.  I have no idea of what this guy did, but I think he writes for one of the Niner sites.  Reading his sh*t I think it mostly rings true.  Like @Beerfish I agree more with the comments than the round grades which seem a stretch.

Yeah London looks good in highlights, but I don't think he is much of a deep threat.  He didn't run at the combine, so he probably isn't going to be blazing.  If you read the negatives this guy throws a ton of "injury risk" out there.  The Jets do not seem very scared of that.  He also insults Neal as Becton 2.0.   His "shocking" mock draft has Hutchinson going #1 overall.  Then Willis, Corrall and the Jets taking Thibodeaux and Ekonwu.  

Guy seems like kind of a nut, but I think I like his posts if he is here.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

4. WR Drake London, USC

A high-injury risk possession receiver with harder hands. Drops some he shouldn’t (88 catches/124 targets), struggles when contested, and his YAC is nothing special. London came up hobbling a couple times before finally breaking his ankle last season.

FWIW, in the few times I watched London, this was my thought. He’s a tall, skinny dude who works the middle of the field, fights for yardage, and always looks like his legs are going to break. 

Did he just equate non-catches with drops? A 71% catch rate is pretty healthy. I don't know what the average is for a good college prospect, but the pro WR rate isn't nearly this high otherwise the average QB would have a 75-80% completion rate when factoring his backs.

So is he suggesting that means he dropped 29% of his passes? Is this type of influence a big part of why the Jets didn't draft a bunch of good WRs/TEs, because this guy & others dismiss a catch rate under 75% as always being on the receivers?

Where's my classic Jets paper bag with eye holes?

Ah, there it is: :bag:

• Upvote 4

Considering the fact that most high draft picks don’t play up to expectations and the draft can be a crap shoot this guy is probably more right than wrong. So out of these 15 players maybe 4 will live up to their draft status and 11 won’t.  That gives his a 73% success rate with these predictions which is a pretty decent rate. But teams have to draft somebody and everybody will have some weaknesses so it for sure doesn’t take a genius to put out an article like this. Good read though I thought.

12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

4. WR Drake London, USC

Except the "Struggles when contested" part is the opposite of what's true.  The guy wins every time.  Complete nonsense.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

True

Lol.  

Talking yourselves in circles enough to believe Zach doesn’t have a single elite trait lol.  And now not a single good play lol.

He has enough tools to be the greatest QB of all time.  Nobody knows what’s going to happen but you guys REALLY don’t know since your club group think takes you in odd directions and you end up blind lol.  

21 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Brought to you by the same logic that suggested the jets don’t draft:

dan marino

ronnie lott

warren sapp

josh allen

Yes!  I was thinking the same thing.  Even look at the draft with Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Josh Allen and Josh Rosen.  The logic in the first place was that they were the elite talent at the QB position and they also avoided taking a Deshawn Watson or Patrick Mahomes the year before for Safety Jamal Adams.  

Your an ex Jets scout for a reason

6 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Lol.  

Talking yourselves in circles enough to believe Zach doesn’t have a single elite trait lol.  And now not a single good play lol.

He has enough tools to be the greatest QB of all time.  Nobody knows what’s going to happen but you guys REALLY don’t know since your club group think takes you in odd directions and you end up blind lol.  

Honestly, He seems frail.  I don't want that kid to get hurt out there.  He was drafted too high, and it is what it is.  I hope I'm wrong and he becomes an elite QB, but right now he isn't even NFL back up QB material.

3 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Honestly, He seems frail.  I don't want that kid to get hurt out there.  He was drafted too high, and it is what it is.  I hope I'm wrong and he becomes an elite QB, but right now he isn't even NFL back up QB material.

Before the draft sure, maybe on the build, but he’s been pictured next to too many established guys and had a similar build at this point.  He has a boy band face.  That’s not a frail body lol.  

It’s a rookie season.  Look at the beginning and the end and see if there is progress.  

The skills and abilities shown are going to guide how high the ceiling is - and it’s sky high.  He can make all the throws with a lightning quick release and he’s got elite level elusiveness.   Well worth a wait to see what develops.

14 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Lol.  

He's got an elite release .... and he obviously had good plays last year ..... but the bolded part is such complete horsesh!t that I have to ask ... did you laugh as you typed it?

34 minutes ago, maury77 said:

He's got an elite release .... and he obviously had good plays last year ..... but the bolded part is such complete horsesh!t that I have to ask ... did you laugh as you typed it?

Nope.   It’s true. That’s more than Brady had to work with.  Zach looks better than Rodgers at the same point in their careers.  

I see no reason to put a ceiling.   Time to wait and see.  If he cuts down on mistakes he will be good.  If he also does a few more of the good plays - at the level he showed - he’s elite.  That’s not crazy talk. 

The Christian Watson take is fair. He was a consensus 4th rounder until the Senior Bowl, if someone drafts him in the first round on the basis of that and the Combine its great for the Jets as it means there will be a bigger pool of true upper tier WRs will be there to pick from in the second round if that's where we are drafting one. 

I like Christian Watson, was posting on here about him pre-hype, its just this Christian Watson in the first is way too rich for my blood. Third round I can get behind. 

On 3/18/2022 at 6:21 AM, Warfish said:

Yes, one of the Edges at #4, Wilson at #10.

None of them are on the list, and they've been favorites for the Jets Pick (for some of us) since the start.

But not Jermaine Johnson or Karlaftis apparently. So if Hutch and Thibs are gone we need Travon Walker at 4?