I LOVE This Mock Draft

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

I'm note sure of that.  The only team I see in line for Sauce above pick ten is the Panthers.  They may yet resign their CB or perhaps be convinced that they would be better off with the more athletically gifted Stingley.  

Agreed.  There will be a run on OTs and Edges.  Add a couple teams reaching for a QB and WR in top 9 and you could very well see Sauce and/or Hamilton sitting there at 10.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

If they go into the season thinking Becton is their LT, the ones making the big plays will be the DE's and LB's of the opposing defense. 

A good offensive line makes an average set of skill position players on the offense work well.

An offense with elite skill players and a poor offensive line is going to struggle. 

Becton will have to win over Fant to play LT. When the team struggles to score again we will see the complaining Start.

No matter what the Jets do it will be good and it will be bad.  Unless they manage to trade down which is good.

There are exactly ZERO premium players in this draft to me, a big fat zero.  The closest player to being premium would be Gardner and secondary positions are devalued in todays nfl.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Yes but that would also be the argument for taking Ekwonu. Says Jets take Ekwonu. Let Fant, Becton, and Ekwonu battle it out. Fant on last year, so if Becton does well you can look at Fant maybe as a mid year trade or just keep him as depth. If Becton still has issues maybe you extend Fant and trade Becton. If we don't take OT and Becton busts we have nothing at tackle. Ekwonu at 4 if he is there makes a ton of sense. Most Jets fans will hate it. 

Not just a matter of need matching a good player available.  Ekwonu is the type of player who has the intangibles to be a leader.  Not only will he anchor the line, he'll help anchor the team.   

Ekwonu and Sauce would be Mangini draft picks.  Like Brick, Mangold and Revis. 

All scrutiny needs to be on whether we feel one of these WRs are ready to be a solid 1 in the NFL. If so, I think you need to go at 10. 

With the whole focus being on solidifying weapons and line for Zach I'd go OT or Edge at 4 and then best WR at 10 (or trade back if we don't think there is a true WR1 in the draft)

• Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Yes but that would also be the argument for taking Ekwonu. Says Jets take Ekwonu. Let Fant, Becton, and Ekwonu battle it out. Fant on last year, so if Becton does well you can look at Fant maybe as a mid year trade or just keep him as depth. If Becton still has issues maybe you extend Fant and trade Becton. If we don't take OT and Becton busts we have nothing at tackle. Ekwonu at 4 if he is there makes a ton of sense. Most Jets fans will hate it. 

I understand the logic but there is free agency next year and another draft next year. It makes a ton of sense if you expect the worst but what happens if the best case scenerio happens? One of Fant or Becton will have to sit assuming the rest of the line is healthy and all 3 guys look like starting players. I'd rather go and draft someone who we can try to plug in immediately where we have far worse options. Becton, AVT, Mcgovern, Tomilson, Fant is a nice looking line if the unit can stay healthy.

• Sympathy 1

This thread has me thinking again at how much i would LOVE to see Becton on the right side. OMG. RT's are typically massive road graters smashing holes for the RB. Think about AVT pulling from his LG spot to join Becton clearing mammoth lanes. Perine could run for 2000 yards behind those two. Plus Becton can pass block as we've already seen in his rookie campaign. 

Leave Fant on the left side, move Mount Becton over. Use #4 on best Edge or Sauce. Or even Hamilton.

Done.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Sauce won’t last until 10.

You're right, but I'm not sure that is the only reason the Jets don't draft him.  We got Reed as our apparent #1 corner in free agency, and if they did draft Ssuce, then what becomes of Bryce Hall, Echols and Carter II?   

I mean, the Jets wanted to develop these guys, but how do they develop them if they're both sitting on the bench?

The Jets need a #1 wide receiver, and they need another pass rusher.  I feel they need a linebacker, since Davis who they got in free agency last year, is a goner, after having a lackluster season.  Add to the fact that the Jets need to replace Fatukasi on the d line, and I just don't see them drafting Sauce, even if he does fall to them at #10.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

So you want our high 1st round T to fail and force us to use another high pick, even better the 4th overall to grab another T who’s similarly built because you had a dream that he would be a perennial pro bowl player  and apparently ours won’t.  You actually love this scenario

Thankfully fans aren’t GMs and JD is because what a waste of resources you’re pitching for no reason

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

After signing Tomlinson this would be an incredibly stupid move.

By your reasoning, it would be an "incredibly stupid move" to draft Nick Mangold or Anthony Munoz if you already had a center and a tackle with a pulse.

You don't want a decent OT or offensive line.  You want an elite offensive line every year, and should always be drafting to ensure that you NEVER wind up transitioning from an elite offensive line to an average offensive line.

If you have a brain and understand the NFL's rules and the goal of those rules, you dont stop looking for a franchise QB until you are positive you have one, even if it means drafting a QB two years after you had spent a first round pick on a QB, and you never stop drafting and developing offensive lineman.   You can get interior linemen in rounds two three and four that can be developed into pro bowl guys, but rarely do you get an elite OT anywhere other than the 1st round or FA.  Economy should compel a GM to draft what very much looks like an elite LT if you dont already have one.  EVEN if you already have a warm body or two. 

Never, ever settle for less than the best for the QB and the offensive line.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

7 hours ago, THE BARON said:

GUARD ??? Try elite LT

We already have a generational talent in Becton - Damien Woody was stressing this - IMO you cannot draft a tackle at 4 with zero openings on the line with all of the strong QBs that play in the AFC.  We have a glaring opening at edge. Grab the best edge guy and go WR at 10 if no trade - or corner if Sauce is there. If we think the receivers left are all comparable we can take one in round two or trade back up to get our guy. Center is the only position we could upgrade, but that won't really move the needle too much next year as we had a top 10 grade for our center.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 2

9 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

We already have a generational talent in Becton - 

BECTON ?!?!?!?! You've got to be kidding me.  The paperwork has not been done yet, but Becton has already been written off..  His body can't stay on the field and his head is still in kindergarten.  There is no Becton. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

Nah, a million of these guys pop up every year and 95% of them bust.  I'd rather grab the things we have big needs for (Edge, WR, LB) than gather elite backups for when our already highly drafted/well paid line...fails? with those top picks.  Double dip Edge-WR Edge-WR. Figure RB, LB, TE in the middle and then OL till it's over.  We need explosive playmakers to move forward.  Also pretty sure they are done with the defensive backfield other than late round (hopeful) gems or the continued growth of the guys drafted last year and the year before who stepped up. I wonder which Senior bowl guys they are looking at as udfa's also, as JD has done pretty damn well with that part of the draft the past 2 years.  Maybe there are some sleepers from that week we aren't even thinking about.

Pretty stoned.

ill get shot right down but i still think they go edge rusher at 4, i think Travon Walker, but then at 10, and i know what Saleh has said about LB's but why wouldnt Devin Lloyd be the solid pick here? Top LB in draft, you got your edge at 4, you signed a CB to an $11 million a year deal already to play opposite Bryce Hall.  Our LB's sucked last year.  Quincy Williams is a nice player but he is not a difference maker like Devin Lloyd will be.  It actually helps improve your entire D.  I know everyone will be hoping for a WR and that could be the pick but if Garrett Wilson is off the board, which i expect, i think JD waits to round 2 for a WR.  someone like Christian Watson, Skye Moore or maybe someone falls from the 1st round.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

By your reasoning, it would be an "incredibly stupid move" to draft Nick Mangold or Anthony Munoz if you already had a center and a tackle with a pulse.

You don't want a decent OT or offensive line.  You want an elite offensive line every year, and should always be drafting to ensure that you NEVER wind up transitioning from an elite offensive line to an average offensive line.

If you have a brain and understand the NFL's rules and the goal of those rules, you dont stop looking for a franchise QB until you are positive you have one, even if it means drafting a QB two years after you had spent a first round pick on a QB, and you never stop drafting and developing offensive lineman.   You can get interior linemen in rounds two three and four that can be developed into pro bowl guys, but rarely do you get an elite OT anywhere other than the 1st round or FA.  Economy should compel a GM to draft what very much looks like an elite LT if you dont already have one.  EVEN if you already have a warm body or two. 

Never, ever settle for less than the best for the QB and the offensive line.

If Becton is healthy and motivated it can already be an elite OL. He was awesome his rookie year, AVT is great, Fant was our best OLineman last year, and Tomlinson was all pro. Our center was rated top 10. We've used a #1 pick two years in a row on OL. It can be elite next year. How is it smart to keep using a premium asset on the strongest unit on our team with no openings instead of a hugely important hole at edge and #1 WR? It won't move the needle at all next year. It will only be good the following year and we have too many holes to redshirt a #4 overall pick or bench our best OL from last year. I get that it's smart to stockpile great lineman, but we have too many holes to ignore premium positions that are much weaker on our team, like pass rushers and an elite pass catcher. Becton will dominate next year at left tackle - if he has a competition with Fant and he is motivated (all accounts say he is pissed and ready to compete hard) Becton will win because he is more talented. I don't think we can draft Ikwonu and put him on the right side and bench Fant. There is also a lot of money tied up in the line - you can't use all of it on one position group, which is what you do when you keep drafting OL with premium assets. At this point, a top receiver will help the QB a LOT more.

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, FootballLove said:

This thread has me thinking again at how much i would LOVE to see Becton on the right side. OMG. RT's are typically massive road graters smashing holes for the RB. Think about AVT pulling from his LG spot to join Becton clearing mammoth lanes. Perine could run for 2000 yards behind those two. Plus Becton can pass block as we've already seen in his rookie campaign. 

Leave Fant on the left side, move Mount Becton over. Use #4 on best Edge or Sauce. Or even Hamilton.

Done.

I think a motivated Becton wins the left tackle spot and that's the best case scenario for us. If he's on the right side that means he didn't play well enough to win the job. I get having him on the right side would be nice for the reasons you mentioned, but best case for me is he's a dominant force at left tackle.

I can't agree. They need an edge desperately. They need a WR desperately. Nothing else is in the "need" category. LB, OT, DL would be nice adds, but they're fine as is. They can't go into the season without fixing the other edge or finding at least one, probably two or three WR. 

7 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

After signing Tomlinson this would be an incredibly stupid move.

What are you talking about? The Jets only have 2 starting LTs. We clearly need to use our top draft resource - the 4th pick in the country - on a 3rd starting LT.

Instead of adding a new premium starter to the team with that pick, let's add no net starter & merely swap one out for a different one lol. That's what all the championship teams do. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, extmenace said:

Its 1 year too early to give up on Becton. If he misses a large portion of next season, I think that's the time you start to worry. While he has had some growing pains when he hass been on the field, overall, it looks like this kid should be able to play in this league. We just need to hope that this injury bug, for whatever reason it is, is something that can be put behind him. With tomilson being signed, I'd be disipointed if we went OL at 4 or 10. If they want another prospect on the OL, i'd rather see the team use one of the seconds. Edge, WR, or CB should really be the positions in play with picks 4 and 10.

If one of the top OTs are there at 4 we should sell it that we will take him. But try to work the phones with teams a few slots below us to maybe get another high pick and still be able to use the traded down pick on day Sauce then a WR at 10.

10 hours ago, THE BARON said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2022-nfl-mock-draft-how-a-deshaun-watson-trade-could-impact-each-team-involved-jets-support-zach-wilson/

I LOVE this mock draft.  Can you guess why ???

"New York continues filling out its offensive line with the selection of Ekwonu. There is a lot of talk that the Jets are very interested in Ekwonu and that suggests they may already be done with Mekhi Becton, who has started 14 games total over the last two seasons"

I SURE AS HELL hope this is as accurate of a take as it should be.

I WANT Ekwonu.  He's going to be a perennial ProBowler.  He's got the measurables and PLENTY of the intangibles.  Already a leader and grown up.

Dream draft.  Ekwonu at 4, Sauce at 10

If the Panthers pass on Sauce, he may very well wind up with the Jets.  

If they manage that, combined with the FA that JD just had, even *I* would be excited again. 

We don't  need an OL at 4. We just picked up a probowl G. 

I would honestly be shocked if the Jets have written off Becton following a freak injury. This entire argument is based on that speculation. Could the Jets pick up another tackle later in the draft for depth? Sure. But their needs at Edge and WR alone would make picking a tackle in the first round a luxury pick when they haven't put food on the table.

• Post of the Week 1