Jets offensive line coach John Benton arrested for DUI in New Jersey

Brian Costello

Jets assistant coach John Benton was arrested and charged with driving under the influence late Thursday night.

Benton, 58, was pulled over by the New Jersey State Police shortly before midnight Thursday on I-287 in Morristown for a motor vehicle violation. The police suspected he was under the influence and he was subsequently arrested and charged with DUI. Benton was processed and released, according to a police spokesman. 

“We are aware of the situation and have no further comment,” a Jets spokesman said.

Benton is entering his second season with the Jets as the team’s offensive line coachand run game coordinator. Benton has coached in the NFL since 2004, working with the Rams, Texans, Dolphins, Jaguars and 49ers before joining the Jets. 

Jets coach Robert Saleh brought Benton with him from the 49ers when he was hired in 2021. Benton had spent the previous four years with the 49ers and also coached with Saleh in 2016 with the Jaguars and with the Texans in 2006-10. 

jets coach john benton Last year was offensive line coach John Benton’s first with the Jets.  Bill Kostroun/New York Post

Benton could face discipline from the NFL under the league’s personal conduct policy. 

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Brian Costello

Jets assistant coach John Benton was arrested and charged with driving under the influence late Thursday night.

Benton, 58, was pulled over by the New Jersey State Police shortly before midnight Thursday on I-287 in Morristown for a motor vehicle violation. The police suspected he was under the influence and he was subsequently arrested and charged with DUI. Benton was processed and released, according to a police spokesman. 

“We are aware of the situation and have no further comment,” a Jets spokesman said.

Benton is entering his second season with the Jets as the team’s offensive line coachand run game coordinator. Benton has coached in the NFL since 2004, working with the Rams, Texans, Dolphins, Jaguars and 49ers before joining the Jets. 

Jets coach Robert Saleh brought Benton with him from the 49ers when he was hired in 2021. Benton had spent the previous four years with the 49ers and also coached with Saleh in 2016 with the Jaguars and with the Texans in 2006-10. 

jets coach john benton Last year was offensive line coach John Benton’s first with the Jets.  Bill Kostroun/New York Post

Benton could face discipline from the NFL under the league’s personal conduct policy. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

Just now, nycdan said:

At least he didn't have a minor and an assault rifle in the car.

Small victories.

Can't comment in either the Gallows or Russia threads.  So, any idea WTF was up with "CookiePuss" to go off the rails like that?   Gotta be at least a year ban.   At least.

7 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

A DUI isn't the end of the world until it ends someone's world.

Mixed emotions on this subject.  

When I was a kid I drove under the influence many times.  Thankfully I never hurt anyone, but it was blind luck.  It's hard for me to judge someone for doing something I did too.   Granted, this was 25 + years ago, but that doesn't lessen the fault.

This man has almost unlimited resources to prevent this from ever happening.  I don't know it it costs him a job, but I do hope he's fined and forced into counseling at the least. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Mixed emotions on this subject.  

When I was a kid I drove under the influence many times.  Thankfully I never hurt anyone, but it was blind luck.  It's hard for me to judge someone for doing something I did too.   Granted, this was 25 + years ago, but that doesn't lessen the fault.

This man has almost unlimited resources to prevent this from ever happening.  I don't know it it costs him a job, but I do hope he's fined and forced into counseling at the least. 

I'm sure you, as a kid, didn't have access to the same resources as he does. And you can be just as angry at him for doing it, as you are (I hope) at yourself for doing it.

I'm glad you were lucky and no one was hurt.

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

Woody let the wife of an American diplomat leave England to escape prosecution after she ran someone over while drunk.  He probably doesn’t care

holy sh*t, what?

I haven't heard this one, but, tbh, it doesn't shock me in the least.

1 hour ago, Bronx said:

It's 2022, when are these dumb fuks are going to learn? 

$130 > career, reputation, thousands of dollars

Screenshot_20220318-172003_Chrome.thumb.jpg.dd186c6b5d1023d2f7707d5d80dd3d73.jpg

Cheap ass!

Fire his ass today! He ain't no god damn leader.

Also, is he supposed to teach rookies to pick up the cell and dial the hotline? Stupid SOB!

Bought one a few years ago. Used it many times (most well below the limit) but a couple of times had to wait it out. At least you're informed. 

• Upvote 1