Jets offensive line coach John Benton arrested for DUI in New Jersey

33 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Can't comment in either the Gallows or Russia threads.  So, any idea WTF was up with "CookiePuss" to go off the rails like that?   Gotta be at least a year ban.   At least.

I think he was a Russian troll sleeper agent that got activated out of desperation by Putin. 

Imagine the dedication to simulate being a suffering Jet fan for years, standing by to do his patriotic duty for mother Russia, then finally having his moment. 

Sort of impressive 

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

He should get fired.

He probably won’t, but he should.

Should be very little patience for this type of thing. Any history of this? He's a leader of young men who sometimes make these kind of stupid decisions. Leader have to lead (especially when they're paid like they are).

If this is a first time, I can see having a "come to Jesus talk" and letting Benton know there are absolutely no more mulligans. But if this is report behavior, even if he wasn't coaching for the Jets, probably moved forward in order to set the right standard.

Salah/JD keep preaching "the right kind of men." This does not meet that standard. Although I'm all for second chances as long as there is utter accountability and responsibility.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Should be very little patience for this type of thing. Any history of this? He's a leader of young men who sometimes make these kind of stupid decisions. Leader have to lead (especially when they're paid like they are).
If this is a first time, I can see having a "come to Jesus talk" and letting Benton know there are absolutely no more mulligans. But if this is report behavior, even if he wasn't coaching for the Jets, probably moved forward in order to set the right standard.
Salah/JD keep preaching "the right kind of men." This does not meet that standard. Although I'm all for second chances as long as there is utter accountability and responsibility.
Management has to be held to a higher standard ... well see.
  • Upvote 1

At least Benton was upfront about it with the Jets Front Office. I'll bet at the very least he will wind up serving a 1 Year suspension.

This is dumber than dumb. From the time one is able to drive one ought to know the two nights of the year the cops are out on the streets looking for DUIs is New Years Eve and St. Patrick's Day Night.

4 hours ago, Bronx said:

It's 2022, when are these dumb fuks are going to learn? 

$130 > career, reputation, thousands of dollars

Screenshot_20220318-172003_Chrome.thumb.jpg.dd186c6b5d1023d2f7707d5d80dd3d73.jpg

Cheap ass!

Fire his ass today! He ain't no god damn leader.

Also, is he supposed to teach rookies to pick up the cell and dial the hotline? Stupid SOB!

Even worse if I'm pretty sure every team offers a program for Coaches like the player's have where they can get free rides home and back to get their vehicle. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Why? He didn't wreck, he didn't  kill anyone. People make mistakes. 

I believe the Jets are trying to establish a culture in which starts with the leadership.  He should be fined, suspended and forced to attend AA meetings at a minimum. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Because I believe the Jets are trying to establish a culture in which starts with the leadership.  He should be fined, suspended and forced to attend AA meetings at a minimum. 

Ok, but he shouldn't lose his job. I mean a guy made a mistake. No he should not have driven but you do stupid things when you're  drunk. 

• Thumb Down 1

7 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Why? He didn't wreck, he didn't  kill anyone. People make mistakes. 

It isn’t hard to make the decision to not drink and drive, especially when you’re a coach or player for an NFL team.  My mother was almost killed by a drunk driver.  Literally the brink of death.  He’s not going to find any sympathy from me.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Jets offensive line coach John Benton arrested for DUI in New Jersey

Brian Costello

Jets assistant coach John Benton was arrested and charged with driving under the influence late Thursday night.

Benton, 58, was pulled over by the New Jersey State Police shortly before midnight Thursday on I-287 in Morristown for a motor vehicle violation. The police suspected he was under the influence and he was subsequently arrested and charged with DUI. Benton was processed and released, according to a police spokesman. 

“We are aware of the situation and have no further comment,” a Jets spokesman said.

Benton is entering his second season with the Jets as the team’s offensive line coachand run game coordinator. Benton has coached in the NFL since 2004, working with the Rams, Texans, Dolphins, Jaguars and 49ers before joining the Jets. 

Jets coach Robert Saleh brought Benton with him from the 49ers when he was hired in 2021. Benton had spent the previous four years with the 49ers and also coached with Saleh in 2016 with the Jaguars and with the Texans in 2006-10. 

jets coach john benton Last year was offensive line coach John Benton’s first with the Jets.  Bill Kostroun/New York Post

Benton could face discipline from the NFL under the league’s personal conduct policy. 

I need to know the BAC, so i know if he is a lightweight or not.

When i got my dui, 25+yrs ago, i blew a .16, driving fine.  Got pulled over for loud exhaust. The highest i have heard was .32, my friends mom.  Cops found her & her car in a ditch.  Big woman.  Bring a 30pk for herself to a cook out.

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Ok, but he shouldn't lose his job. I mean a guy made a mistake. No he should not have driven but you do stupid things when you're  drunk. 

Yea, Britt Reid was just unfortunate that other vehicle got in his way. It was just a little mistake and ya know, well, you do stupid things when you're drunk. How sad he had to lose his job just because that other car happened to be in front of his when he driving full speed. So many people drive drunk and we shouldn't punish the poor souls who just happen to get caught. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

I think they will retain him due to his experience and the lack thereof from the senior coaching staff. Just like the Browns turned their blind eye to Watson, that's how the Jets are probably going to handle this case.

A bunch of hypocrisy and double standards. 

3 minutes ago, DirtyJersey said:

I need to know the BAC, so i know if he is a lightweight or not.

When i got my dui, 25+yrs ago, i blew a .16, driving fine.  Got pulled over for loud exhaust. The highest i have heard was .32, my friends mom.  Cops found her & her car in a ditch.  Big woman.  Bring a 30pk for herself to a cook out.

This is stupid as hell. How many people need to lose their lives to fking intoxicated ass holes?