Draft impacts and opportunities

Wow, my head is still spinning from this week.  I tend to think some of these teams that just blew their load are going to regret it in a couple of years.  But it is what it is.  Question is with all this movement and picks trading hands (particularly Oakland's 1 to GB, and Cleveland's 1 to Houston, the draft and opportunities for trades in the first round has just changed.  So has our potential selections.

First, who still needs a QB:

1) Philly, not buying all the Hurts love, but we'll see

2) Atlanta, I am assuming either Ryan stays and they still need one, or he leaves

3) Seattle maybe depending on where Baker goes

4) Carolina

5) Giants, maybe

6) Anyone else?  

Next are teams with immediate other needs that might have them try to trade up:

1) Green Bay, who is Rodgers going to throw to?

2) Atlanta: any receivers on that roster?

3) Houston's two picks now are more interesting and fairly spread apart.

4) Philly, because they are players with their three picks.  

I tend to think we'll make the pick at 4, but there will be teams calling about 10 whether for a QB, WR or Edge/D-line.  Would love to get a couple of picks lower in the first (or second), as I think the sweet spot in this draft is from the teens to mid-second round.  That would allow us to address multiple needs with day 1 starters.  Thoughts?  With these contracts, the future will belong to those teams that draft well.  The Steelers and Ravens model is alive and well.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

You forgot Indy I think. Though they may get Baker as well. I dont buy that Seattle is cool with Lock. I think if Houston picks a QB at 3 the Jets phones will light up at 4. If Matt Rhule doesnt get a QB he may as well resign after the draft. As you pointed out the same thing could happen at 10 instead. But some of these coaches/GMs buy a little time with fans by picking a QB early and selling him as the future so its super important they get one.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Phillyjet said:

Wow, my head is still spinning from this week.  I tend to think some of these teams that just blew their load are going to regret it in a couple of years.  But it is what it is.  Question is with all this movement and picks trading hands (particularly Oakland's 1 to GB, and Cleveland's 1 to Houston, the draft and opportunities for trades in the first round has just changed.  So has our potential selections.

First, who still needs a QB:

1) Philly, not buying all the Hurts love, but we'll see

2) Atlanta, I am assuming either Ryan stays and they still need one, or he leaves

3) Seattle maybe depending on where Baker goes

4) Carolina

5) Giants, maybe

6) Anyone else?  

Next are teams with immediate other needs that might have them try to trade up:

1) Green Bay, who is Rodgers going to throw to?

2) Atlanta: any receivers on that roster?

3) Houston's two picks now are more interesting and fairly spread apart.

4) Philly, because they are players with their three picks.  

I tend to think we'll make the pick at 4, but there will be teams calling about 10 whether for a QB, WR or Edge/D-line.  Would love to get a couple of picks lower in the first (or second), as I think the sweet spot in this draft is from the teens to mid-second round.  That would allow us to address multiple needs with day 1 starters.  Thoughts?  With these contracts, the future will belong to those teams that draft well.  The Steelers and Ravens model is alive and well.

Well for teams needing a QB you left off the Texans. Now I do not see how they spend the 3rd overall pick in the draft on a QB in this year’s crop. Now maybe they would trade a lot to get up to 10 and draft one there for our 2nd first rounder. We’ll see.