Joe Douglas’ Jets rosters will be built, not bought, while he’s GM

No matter what Joe Douglas' philosophy is, it's time start seeing some real results in the win loss column. Every year there is more excuses why we stink. Blame it on the previous GM, previous coach wanting different types of players, Greg Knapp  (RIP), injuries (Meatball on Toothpicks + Carl Lawson) and it's "year 1". The latest excuse will be the AFC is murderers' row after this off-season so we can't measure success by the teams record this season and trust the process.. hey,  look at all our Pepsi Zero Sugar Rookie of the Weeks we won thanks to our fine Jets interns.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Jet2020 said:

JD is playing with fire with the WR position and that’s beyond stupid for a QB you invested so much in. We did the same with Sanchez and then loaded Sam with ultra trash. And now we believe Corey, who has never had a 1k season, will be the savior unless his draft pick is an instant hit. 

I very much agree with this. I do have this fear that somehow we do not get a receiver or two and repeat the mistakes made with Sam. I am 100% on board with what he has done but can't knock on WR until it plays out.

If you win the SB with a couple of great drafts great plan.  The problem with that plan is the NFL penalizes teams for developing talent.  It's called a salary cap.  

It's a very small window to draft and develop players if you're actually good at it.  See the Seahawks.  Two great drafts followed by guys wanting to get paid when their rookie deals ran out. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The 2023 Jets roster will have maybe three guys on it who have an outside chance to make the Pro Bowl, and two of them are guards.

Are you saying that pro bowl guards protection our young QB and opening up running lanes for our RB's is a bad thing?

Geesh, I'll take this every day and twice on Sunday as compared to the last 10 years or so of this team.   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Win games.  Or be fired.

All this hot air about how bold he is, or how we've never seen a true rebuild before, or how he's dedicated to building through the draft (who in the NFL doesn't say that?) is just that, hot air.

If we're a 4 win team again in 2022, it won't matter how bold he was by not being bold in FA this offseason.

I think even the most homeristic JD lovers agree that we need to see some positive results on the field this year. My feeling is that they need to avoid double-digit losses and get out of the AFCe basement, at a minimum. I don’t expect much more than that, but they need to get there to give me hope for the future. 

I think another four win season would basically mean an implosion of sorts. Can’t have that. 

1 hour ago, Jet2020 said:

JD is playing with fire with the WR position and that’s beyond stupid for a QB you invested so much in. We did the same with Sanchez and then loaded Sam with ultra trash. And now we believe Corey, who has never had a 1k season, will be the savior unless his draft pick is an instant hit. 

I believe that he came into this offseason looking to make a major splash at the position, but Ridley’s issue and a couple tags later things unraveled. I like what he’s done at the TE spot to help supplement the receiving corps, especially after the three biggest targets there got tagged, too. I’m sure they’re counting on Davis and Moore being healthier and more productive this year, and Berrios will likely see his role expanded, too. If they can’t find a WR via trade, I’m gonna start thinking about taking a WR in the first and then doubling up somewhere along the line. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Love the approach but obviously he's going to need to hit on his draft picks.  John Idzik had a great approach too but failed miserably.  I have a lot more faith in JD but there are no guarantees.

Exactly.  Strategy is sound.  But a lot of sound strategies can fail due to poor execution.  I like what he has done so far this offseason, but this roster still needs a lot of work.

• Upvote 2

A team can get better or worse in multiple ways..

Draft, FA or youth growing up.

The Jet's youth, being the youngest team in the league, will continue to get better naturally...

The Jets have the most draft capital in the NFL this year

We signed some solid role players to fill just about all of the gaping holes we had last year.

At worst this team is competent this year -at best it's in playoff contention..

Poised to make a huge jump next year.  

JD is doing fine.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 3

1 hour ago, Jet2020 said:

Well, I don't really think he's hanging his hat on Mr. Smith...hell, I sure hope not because that guy rarely gets separation.  Besides the draft, don't forget teams will be making cuts and hopefully he hits on both of those because we're hurting at WR.

24 minutes ago, Lith said:

Exactly.  Strategy is sound.  But a lot of sound strategies can fail due to poor execution.  I like what he has done so far this offseason, but this roster still needs a lot of work.

"What do you think of JD's execution?"

"I'm in favor of it!"

Ba-dup-bum

• Haha 2

Jets Super Bowl odds are tied for last (with the Texans) at +20,000. Browns odds jumped from +6000 to +1400 overnight. The Texans actually have the better second year QB and a HC who brought a team to the Super Bowl with Rex Grossman at QB, so seems unfair to the Texans.

3 hours ago, Larz said:

Says the guy that drafted Becton and Mims

everyone needs to ignore the arms race in the AFC,  got it ?!?

He’s really perfect for woody  

that’s bad for us

What do Becton and Mims have to do with not over pending on vets?  
There are many reasons for signing blockbuster vets.  Players who are on theirs last big deals so don’t busts their asses to get to another contract.

And seriously have no idea how this is perfect for Woody.  Who one one side gets blamed for spending a fortune on Favre and then these type comments

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Love the approach but obviously he's going to need to hit on his draft picks.  John Idzik had a great approach too but failed miserably.  I have a lot more faith in JD but there are no guarantees.

Idzik had the identical approach. Accumulate draft picks; only pay up to _____ for this FA and after that the player can pound sand. Turns out it’s easier to declare that as a plan, and execute it in year 1, than to actually succeed doing it & keep it up. Most of them cave after it didn’t work in year 1, especially in this media market. e.g. Idzik picking up Percy Harvin.

At the same time, a GM needs to be flexible (or I guess, be flexible enough to be flexible lol). If he drafts or signs 2 would-be starters at a position, and it’s clear they’re not working out, doubling down on stubbornness isn’t going to help any and he’ll need to go back to that well again even if it’s not part of his plan. 

e.g. I’m totally against using yet another 1st round pick on OL this year. If Becton has a y3 like his y2, sure I’d come off that stance — and so should Douglas. But jumping at it this year is panic not a plan. If Douglas or other team insiders, who are seeing him up close, see that this is destined to fail? Again, more flexible in that stance (and equally confident in Douglas getting as good a deal as can be had in return for him).

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

e.g. I’m totally against using yet another 1st round pick on OL this year. If Becton has a y3 like his y2, sure I’d come off that stance — and so should Douglas. But jumping at it this year is panic not a plan. If Douglas or other team insiders, who are seeing him up close, see that this is destined to fail? Again, more flexible in that stance (and equally confident in Douglas getting as good a deal as can be had in return for him).

Agree. Presumption should be that Becton overcomes sophomore slump and resumes promising upward trajectory. Smart to find a solid swing tackle who can back up both positions but not by wasting first round pick.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Jetty said:

Same experience. Unfortunately this seems like the first time we are actually doing it the right way.  Makes no sense to rush it now.

People want JD fired next season only for him to be replaced by another Jets GM hire who can't draft, wastes money on washed FAs like the Jaguars, and makes horrible trade/contract decisions.

By their logic we had brighter futures under Macc and Idzik.  Instead of making jumps like the niners and Bengals, they'd rather us go 7-10, 8-9 every year with no promising young players because it constitutes as "winning games".

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Larz said:

Says the guy that drafted Becton and Mims

everyone needs to ignore the arms race in the AFC,  got it ?!?

He’s really perfect for woody  

that’s bad for us

It's like some of you were in a coma during the 2021 season and forget guys like Elijah Moore/AVT/Michael Carter/Echols/the other Michael Carter. And if god forbid, Zach Wilson turns into a franchise QB it may turn out to be the best draft class in Jets history, but OMG Denzel Mims didn't pan out so we all have to whine about it for 3 years.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

You will get glimpses this year.  We will be a much better football team winning btwn 7-9 games.  2023 is the year Douglas and Saleh have circled on the calendar.  We are going to take off like a rocketship and not look back for a decade or more.

Some cant see the forrest for the trees but I can.  This is the work of a smart and insanely patient man.  When it comes to fruition, you will be amazed u didnt see it sooner.

Well said and 100% agree. 

This is Zach and our HC's second year. We should see glimpses this year and next year needs to be challenging for the playoffs. This is why Joe Douglas got such a long deal. Our team is being built right and It's been really fun to enjoy the process. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

You realize he's already three years in.

While fans may discount his first year with Gase, his contract doesn't.

2022 is year 4. 

Not much time left to "win consistently before 5 years are up", given to "win consistently" would mean, at the very least, two winning seasons in a row.

Are you putting money down that 2022 and 2023 are winning seasons?

Expecting a 6-7-8 wins  in 2022 while being more competitive in a majority of the losses. Regardless of how good this draft goes, the roster is still not on par with most of the contending AFC teams. With that being said, If we are making teams earn their wins late in games while winning 6-8 games in 2022, in 2023, I’ll 100% be expecting a wild card push. I’ve been keeping my expectations in check for the last few years since we’re finally doing a proper rebuild but I’ll want some results in 2023. Additionally, I think the 2023 off season is where we’ll finally see some of those big name free agent signing happen.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I highly doubt anyone in league circles would ever compare Douglas and Idzik. 

There's been a hundred GM's out there that tried to get a bunch of picks but none of them are the same. Douglas can draft, nail waiver wire picks, get FA's, trade mid draft, land the HC he wanted, nailed the QB call and manages the cap extremely well.  He is the real deal. 

I would absolutely shocked if he's not here long term as he's a stud.  Him and Saleh have long deals. We have almost no dead cap this year and Joe has gained full control over the owner. Enjoy them Jet fans bc wether you like it or not there are not going anywhere for at least 2 more years. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

I disagree completely with your theory of being “ultra ridged”. It’s more of a theory of choosing good players vs bad ones.

Just what players should JD Have kept or resigned?

1- Leonard Williams?

2-Sam Darnold?

3-Jamal Adams?

After these 3, what other players should he have kept? Can we agree that this team has had zero talent to keep? The cupboard was bare.

He’s been 100% right in flushing these stiffs. 

He’s re-signed Franklin-Myers, Berios because they’ve deserved it. I think that’s what the game plan is. Keep resigning players that deserve it that want to stay here. He’s even proving it in free agency. He’s signing players that want to come to the Jets,  not players that come to Jets because we offered the biggest contract.

if you folks don’t see this, I don’t know what else  to tell you.

Morgan Moses. Disregarding injury. Marcus Maye. Robby Anderson.  He even said himself he should have made a stronger effort in resigning him.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, genot said:

Morgan Moses. Disregarding injury. Marcus Maye. Robby Anderson.  He even said himself he should have made a stronger effort in resigning him.

Becton and Fant is an upgrade from Moses (and I liked Moses), Whitehead is a younger and better player than Maye, who was awful before he got hurt last year.  The only player you could argue is Robby.  However, his last season confirmed what everyone here already thought about him: he’s a speedy one trick pony, who isn’t a true no. 1, who gives up, pouts, and throws hissy fits when things don’t go his way.  Talent doesn’t matter when you blow up and give up as easily as he did in 2021.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

31 minutes ago, genot said:

I respect Moses  but he wasn’t needed anymore because  Fant or Becton will play LT. He got and deserved may I add, a 3 year contract with the Ravens. He isn’t in this teams long term plans.

Maye wasn’t worth paying because he had had his chance to prove himself in the Saleh scheme but wasn’t all that affective. Plus the guy they just signed to replace him is waaaay better . Also, you can’t disregard the injury.

Robbie isn’t worth WR1 money.

come on, seriously.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Becton and Fant is an upgrade from Moses (and I liked Moses), Whitehead is a younger and better player than Maye, who was awful before he got hurt last year.  The only player you could argue is Robby.  However, his last season confirmed what everyone here already thought about him: he’s a speedy one trick pony, who isn’t a true no. 1, who gives up, pouts, and throws hissy fits when things don’t go his way.  Talent doesn’t matter when you blow up and give up as easily as he did in 2021.

This x2

• Upvote 1

Everything is a moot point if Wilson sucks.  Zach has to see these contracts given out and realize he has about $250 mil+ in incentives to be great.  Same goes for Moore, Lawson, Q, etc. All the premium positions will eventually work itself out for better or for worse.  I think this is a motivator for Douglas going heavy draft.  What he has to guard against, which is tough, is the guys who only ball out on their contract year.  If he can crack that nut, we will indeed have fans asking to build him a statue. 

• Upvote 1

JD is sticking to his approach precisely because the Jets are still in a position of climbing towards being average. Outside of a QB potentially, there is no single player that jump starts the Jets from a 4 win team to an 8 win team.

I think it will be when the Jets finally become a better than .500 team we end up seeing an unexpected move or two. We could finally see the Jets willing to splurge for a key piece that they feel positions them for a playoff run.

Now is simply not that time.

If/when the Jets seem to be within striking distance of competing for a championship and they don’t seem willing to spend on a difference maker, then I will criticize the approach. But not now.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

What if Becton gets hurt, or is ineffective. Who would you rather have. Moses or McDermott.  Moses started 16 games last year. He isn't worth 5 million as a swing tackle, and insurance against the question around Becton. Anderson had 95 receptions the previous year. Bridgewater properly read defenses and got rid of the ball. Darnold was a broken QB, with a bunch of jazz for offensive lineman. I disregard Andersons season because of that, and what he did the year before.