Joe Douglas’ Jets rosters will be built, not bought, while he’s GM

3 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

Lol, no playoffs in a decade, no Super Bowls in my lifetime but I’m the impatient one. 

Same experience. Unfortunately this seems like the first time we are actually doing it the right way.  Makes no sense to rush it now.

• Upvote 2

I think you have to be a little more flexible with regards to spending on FA, and resigning your own players. Nobody wants  to spend way above what another team might spend on players. If JD continues with this approach we should prepare for a revolving door of players here. And if any one approaches pro bowl potential,  we should be prepared to wave goodbye. Don't support this ultra ridged approach.

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Win games.  Or be fired.

All this hot air about how bold he is, or how we've never seen a true rebuild before, or how he's dedicated to building through the draft (who in the NFL doesn't say that?) is just that, hot air.

If we're a 4 win team again in 2022, it won't matter how bold he was by not being bold in FA this offseason.

Oh, no doubt about it.  It's not just him, the entire staff and Wilson too...lots of big steps by everyone.

• Upvote 2

Love the sentiment, and agree that JD has a line in the sand. Also makes me nervous that we wanted to sign a 15 mil a season safety. This thread might be different if JD succeeded there. 

But most importantly I came here to pitch some future thread titles

"The Jets win total next season will be earned but not yearned after"

"Our roster is too injury prone to leave alone"

"Jets defense is built around pressure, pass rush and problems"

The key is to get the title first, then come up with the opinion, and then ignore the 13 mil for a guard or rumored 15+ we offered for a safety. 

• Post of the Week 1

Win games.  Or be fired.
All this hot air about how bold he is, or how we've never seen a true rebuild before, or how he's dedicated to building through the draft (who in the NFL doesn't say that?) is just that, hot air.
If we're a 4 win team again in 2022, it won't matter how bold he was by not being bold in FA this offseason.
Win games consistently before 5 years are up or be fired ... is more like it.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, Larz said:

Says the guy that drafted Becton and Mims

everyone needs to ignore the arms race in the AFC,  got it ?!?

He’s really perfect for woody  

that’s bad for us

Don't underestimate the benefit of Saleh and LaFleur when it comes to looking at tape and helping with the draft.  Water under the bridge in 2020 but a big uptick in draft success in 2021 once the new coaching staff was onboard.  Ultimately all of them are going to live and die based on Wilson's development...

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Finally an adult in the room.  Joe Douglas will go down as the best thing to ever happen to this franchise.  I hate to say it but even bigger then namath.

So you've been saying, for well over two years now.

Any time now would be good.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Win games consistently before 5 years are up or be fired ... is more like it.

You realize he's already three years in.

While fans may discount his first year with Gase, his contract doesn't.

2022 is year 4. 

Not much time left to "win consistently before 5 years are up", given to "win consistently" would mean, at the very least, two winning seasons in a row.

Are you putting money down that 2022 and 2023 are winning seasons?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, NIGHT STALKER said:
The Athletic | Mar 18

You can be angry, frustrated. After three years, though, it’s clear nothing is going to change. Grandiose pre-market promises of aggression mean a little something different in Florham Park now than they have in years past. Those days of record-setting contracts, overpaying for stars, succumbing to the “Jets tax”? They’re gone. Long, long gone.

Joe Douglas has his price. He, not the market, determines the value of free agents. It’s fine if another team is willing to pay more. There’s always a contingency plan. Just not one that involves him reaching back into his wallet.

It’s a bold strategy — one few teams have the moxie to stick to. Among the reasons: It puts quite a bit more pressure on the NFL Draft. That’s certainly the case for the Jets this year.

Cute strategy on paper. Blows up exceptionally fast when you have drafts like 2020. Almost all good teams have QBs that are making big bucks. And that’s why they are almost always low of salary cap space. And can’t afford big name FAs. Not because they don’t believe in those FAs. Where’s our money tied up? We don’t have a top tier QB and you have to supplement that somewhere else. In our case, QB isn’t our only issue. We are garbage all around. And that goes back to the GM of 3 years. That’s enough time to turnover an entire roster at least on the mid level talent side. That’s where you dive into the FA. Depth via late round picks and talent via your 4 top 50 picks. 

3 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I think he has been pretty aggressive, but if you dont sign the biggest "name" fans seem to think he is doing nothing.

JD is playing with fire with the WR position and that’s beyond stupid for a QB you invested so much in. We did the same with Sanchez and then loaded Sam with ultra trash. And now we believe Corey, who has never had a 1k season, will be the savior unless his draft pick is an instant hit. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, Warfish said:

2022 is year 4. 

Not much time left to "win consistently before 5 years are up", given to "win consistently" would mean, at the very least, two winning seasons in a row.

I think a fair way to look at it is - how many off-seasons has he had to improve the team?

Realistically, this is his third. I think it's fair to expect the team to take a major jump forward after three off-seasons of tinkering. Anything less than 7 wins this year is a major disappointment and should have Douglas in the hot seat. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

You don't know that

Of course not, nobody does. 

The mistake people tend to make when predicting the future is leaving no room for the unknown. 

Every year, teams make the playoffs that weren't in the playoffs the year before and every year players make the jump from young/unproven to "good." 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Finally an adult in the room.  Joe Douglas will go down as the best thing to ever happen to this franchise.  I hate to say it but even bigger then namath.

31 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Don't underestimate the benefit of Saleh and LaFleur when it comes to looking at tape and helping with the draft.  Water under the bridge in 2020 but a big uptick in draft success in 2021 once the new coaching staff was onboard.  Ultimately all of them are going to live and die based on Wilson's development...

Want to do a deep dive on Wilson? I left him out as mercy lol

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Love the approach but obviously he's going to need to hit on his draft picks.  John Idzik had a great approach too but failed miserably.  I have a lot more faith in JD but there are no guarantees.

Idzik, amazingly, gets far more credit than he deserves. All of his so-called fiscal responsibility was simply executing the outs that Tannenbaum had built into his contracts. And that was literally the only thing he did right. 

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, Jet2020 said:

JD is playing with fire with the WR position and that’s beyond stupid for a QB you invested so much in. We did the same with Sanchez and then loaded Sam with ultra trash. And now we believe Corey, who has never had a 1k season, will be the savior unless his draft pick is an instant hit. 

I can't disagree with your post.

What I can guess is that since we haven't had a real pass catching tightend in decades, JD feels that it is one of the reasons why we've had terrible WR success (More coverage options for the opposing defenses). We now have 2 pass catching TE and he expects to draft and NFL ready receiver and he may feel that this will get our QB off the ground. I hope that he is right on point and that he is right. That being said, I cannot disagree with your logic.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Idzik, amazingly, gets far more credit than he deserves. All of his so-called fiscal responsibility was simply executing the outs that Tannenbaum had built into his contracts. And that was literally the only thing he did right. 

Yes, the twelve-dimensional chess of the famously forward-thinking Mike Tannenbaum.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Warfish said:

2022 is year 4. 

Maxman really has to change the site so you don’t see users you block when they are quoted by users you don’t block. Every time you quote Joe W, I feel like I’m having an acid flashback from a 90s rave.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, maury77 said:

Maxman really has to change the site so you don’t see users you block when they are quoted by users you don’t block. Every time you quote Joe W, I feel like I’m having an acid flashback from a 90s rave.

Hahaha.  Yeah you can’t really block anyone.  

if you found out someone has someone blocked you could quote them and say anything.  It would take one week for entire invisible threads to appear lol.  

• Upvote 1