Joe Douglas’ Jets rosters will be built, not bought, while he’s GM

14 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Lol, Maye …. Like I said the guy they just signed is way better than him you know it.

And if I’m not mistaken, they paid the guy more than Maye got in New Orleans. 

so if you want to die on this hill, have at it. 
anyway, the premise of your argument is that JD won’t pay our own players as they matured.

My argument is the players that we had flat out sucked.

Maye and the Jets lost trust in each other last year. Maye was unhappy with the tag, and then he hid his DUI from the club. He was never coming back. 

• Upvote 1

The rebuild is pretty much on track. This is a competitive roster right now. So much depends on Zach and health though. I know every team has injuries every year but last year was ridiculous. With better health they probably win another couple games last year even with a rookie QB. If Zach improves and we stay moderately healthy we'll see a 8-9 win team this year 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Larz said:

no need to fire anyone this year.  Adjust your expectations tho, JD doesn’t expect to win, we shouldn’t either. 

Can you think of a team with long term success that didn’t coincide with a star QB in their prime? Maybe the titans but they have a HOF runner 

you don’t get long term success by filling potholes and trading established players before you have to pay them 

I fear woody found his perfect GM. Keep the distractions and scandals low, keep expenses low, keep the fans fooled, keep playing golf and shopping for yachts 

cabin fever hamster GIF

I love the image. As a kid, I had two mice that would runaround their wheel when it got stuck in the cedar chips, until they got so dizzy they would tumble out of the wheel. This is a better method - a second mouse could even run around inside!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

no need to fire anyone this year.  Adjust your expectations tho, JD doesn’t expect to win, we shouldn’t either. 

Can you think of a team with long term success that didn’t coincide with a star QB in their prime? Maybe the titans but they have a HOF runner 

you don’t get long term success by filling potholes and trading established players before you have to pay them 

I fear woody found his perfect GM. Keep the distractions and scandals low, keep expenses low, keep the fans fooled, keep playing golf and shopping for yachts 

cabin fever hamster GIF

Yeah, Baltimore, where JD comes from.  Dilfer wasn't a star, Flacco wasn't a star, Jackson had a great year and has been good, not great, since.  They consistently win and have good rosters.  Niners too back with Smith/Cap and now Garoppolo.  Everyone was crying about Davante Adams, yet you saw what the 49ers did to him and Rodgers in the playoffs.

We have not signed "stars" because we need to focus our resources on filling out the roster (thanks Macc).  If you are eluding to Jamal Adams (or literally any other high profile player JD has sent packing) and thought paying him $17.5 per and not getting the picks was the better plan, I have no idea what to tell you.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

Yeah, Baltimore, where JD comes from.  Dilfer wasn't a star, Flacco wasn't a star, Jackson had a great year and has been good, not great, since.  They consistently win and have good rosters.  Niners too back with Smith/Cap and now Garoppolo.  Everyone was crying about Davante Adams, yet you saw what the 49ers did to him and Rodgers in the playoffs.

We have not signed "stars" because we need to focus our resources on filling out the roster (thanks Macc).  If you are eluding to Jamal Adams (or literally any other high profile player JD has sent packing) and thought paying him $17.5 per and not getting the picks was the better plan, I have no idea what to tell you.

Flacco and Jackson not stars ? Cmon lol

dilfer was not long term. 

the cap minimum means everyone spends.  What are we getting for equal spending?

• Upvote 1

We need to win games and games in our division and it best start this year - rebuilds can’t take 5-7 years which is longer than the avg player plays in the nfl 

2-5 wins is not going to be success especially considering Joe started with a 7 win team and has not sniffed that level again - anybody can tear apart a team but not anybody can make a winning team 

25 minutes ago, slats said:

If the Jets can’t get to at least 7 wins this year, with a couple in the division, the Joe Douglas fan club will dwindle significantly. Calling for patience last year with a rookie head coach, rookie offensive coordinator, rookie QB, and the youngest team in the league was the right and fair call. Now everyone’s gotten their feet wet, the systems are installed, and another round of free agents have been added. More starters expected in the draft. Tangible results are required. 

The new system is in place and the Jets have done have made big moves in Free Agency this year. Draft picks are hit and miss. Only a couple make an immediate splash while the rest will need a season or two to round into shape. With what they have already done the Jets should make big strides this year. The biggest factor will be the progress of Zach Wilson. If Zach's progress is increment I expect the Jets to rack up 6 to 8 wins. If Zach makes a big jump in his game I expect them to win 8 to 10 games. Unfortunately with the Hot Talent infusion into the AFC over the last week 10 Wins isn't going to get any AFC Team into the Playoffs in 2022.

4 hours ago, Jet2020 said:

IDK who he will draft but if he doesn’t draft a WR with one of his top 4 draft picks, I’ll be first to pitch in the “fire JD” billboards if Wilson plays like he did last year. As for those fat contracts, the already good teams handed them out to help their already solid QBs, yet Jets thought it was a good idea to not bring in proper help for their struggling QB. Unless you think the 2500 yards over 11 years by two TEs is an improvement. 

Yeah you wanna build through the draft but when you don’t have a solid track record, perhaps try not to put all those eggs in the draft basket. If the draft pick (assuming we draft a WR early on) gets injured (most likely scenario for JD picks), then Moore n Davis ain’t doing sh!t for Wilson. 

The two TEs are a big improvement. Two big receivers working the short/middle of the field? That’s huge for a young QB, and ignoring the position last year was a mistake. Having them also allows LaFluer to really open up his playbook and get creative, too. I expect to see a lot more 12 and 21 personnel this season, with fewer three and four WR sets. Crowder is no big loss, and the Jets resigned the more valuable player in Berrios (sorry, @BornJetsFan1983), who actually had a market in free agency. I believe JD wanted to make a big move at WR, but he didn’t find one to his liking. As a result, I do hope/expect the team to draft one early. 

Also, how much of a track record is the guy supposed to have after just two drafts? Last year’s draft was a good one, and if Becton comes back solid this year his first doesn’t look so bad, either. They’re gonna give Mims a chance to perform, too. That would be something.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

Our fan base seems afflicted with impatient ADD.

"Are we there yet...."

"Are we there yet...."

"Are we there yet...."

"Are we there yet...."

"But daaaaaaaad.... I want a desawwwwwn Watson doll toooo......whaaaaaaa"

"Are we there yet...."

"Are we ther .........

Spoken like a true father lol

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

I feel like I repeat this all the time but you guys keep starting threads about it.

This wasn't a traditional rebuild.

Mac left this team in such a mess and Joe's plan was to come in and tear things down to the studs - and rebuild the right way for the long term.

It took two years to clean up the mess and the rebuild started in earnest last year.

The thing is this - you can not like the plan - that's fine....don't be happy about the way the Jets and Douglas decided to do this...

But make no mistake, Joe is in-line with where he wanted to be..and the organization understands this.  Joe isn't on the hot-seat or going anywhere.

He nor the Jets organization view his first two and half years as a failure.  This was the plan they all signed on for...

This should be mandatory reading for everyone on the board.  You nailed it.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Flacco and Jackson not stars ? Cmon lol

dilfer was not long term. 

the cap minimum means everyone spends.  What are we getting for equal spending?

Eternal Hope. How do you think rams fans feel? There's no hope for them now. Only place to go is down now. They'd trade places with us in a heartbeat. 

I've just spent 21.5 percent of my life NOT watching playoff football all the while being basically obsessed with this franchise.  
I spent less time waiting from the onset of puberty to the time a woman let me have her for thirty six glorious seconds.
Never thought I'd have to go through it again but here it is. This team has got my balls bluer than an Elvis Presley Christmas. 
If the Bible was being written today there'd be a fckin chapter in it about me. 
Honest question, are you a Buddhist monk, by any chance? I ask because those dudes are famous for their bad analogies.

Nah I'm irish .. which lends itself to inebriated anachronisms and metaphors.
  • Haha 1

Skeleton Trumpet GIF

This is me playing the trumpet while waiting for JD to surround Zach Wilson with weaponz. 

In one fell swoop, JD turned our TE room from deplorable to respectable. Nice job JD.

The RB and WR room need to be leveled up. Michael Carter is a solid RB2, but I am not deluding myself into thinking he can shoulder the load. Heh heh, load.

Moore, Davis, and B-Dubs and little depth is an atrocious WR crew. I really hope that JD has a plan. I'd love to see some 4D chess right about now. 

• Upvote 4

23 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:
The Athletic | Mar 18

You can be angry, frustrated. After three years, though, it’s clear nothing is going to change. Grandiose pre-market promises of aggression mean a little something different in Florham Park now than they have in years past. Those days of record-setting contracts, overpaying for stars, succumbing to the “Jets tax”? They’re gone. Long, long gone.

Joe Douglas has his price. He, not the market, determines the value of free agents. It’s fine if another team is willing to pay more. There’s always a contingency plan. Just not one that involves him reaching back into his wallet.

It’s a bold strategy — one few teams have the moxie to stick to. Among the reasons: It puts quite a bit more pressure on the NFL Draft. That’s certainly the case for the Jets this year.

You just used a lot of words to say this rebuild is going to take at least 5 more years. ?

• Haha 1

The 2021 Jets gained 5.4 yards per pass attempt and 4.4 per rush attempt. They passed it 603 times (because they were trailing most games by double digits) and ran it 390 times. This is not good. 

By contrast, the Niners—whom we are trying to be—passed the ball 514 times and ran if 499 times. Their net yards per pass attempt was 7.7, which is a lot. 

Summary: the Jets aren’t getting any more receivers because they don’t want to throw the ball, which is weird because they burned the #2 pick on a QB, but I digress. 

• Thumb Down 1

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The 2021 Jets gained 5.4 yards per pass attempt and 4.4 per rush attempt. They passed it 603 times (because they were trailing most games by double digits) and ran it 390 times. This is not good. 

By contrast, the Niners—whom we are trying to be—passed the ball 514 times and ran if 499 times. Their net yards per pass attempt was 7.7, which is a lot. 

Summary: the Jets aren’t getting any more receivers because they don’t want to throw the ball, which is weird because they burned the #2 pick on a QB, but I digress. 

FREE MIKE WHITE! 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, slats said:

The two TEs are a big improvement. Two big receivers working the short/middle of the field? That’s huge for a young QB, and ignoring the position last year was a mistake. Having them also allows LaFluer to really open up his playbook and get creative, too. I expect to see a lot more 12 and 21 personnel this season, with fewer three and four WR sets. Crowder is no big loss, and the Jets resigned the more valuable player in Berrios (sorry, @BornJetsFan1983), who actually had a market in free agency. I believe JD wanted to make a big move at WR, but he didn’t find one to his liking. As a result, I do hope/expect the team to draft one early. 

Also, how much of a track record is the guy supposed to have after just two drafts? Last year’s draft was a good one, and if Becton comes back solid this year his first doesn’t look so bad, either. They’re gonna give Mims a chance to perform, too. That would be something.

I'm just glad we didn't over pay him!  I'm think you are right about the TEs. We tried it last year but our guys sucked so bad. It will be great if Zach can deliver that ball

22 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I think he has been pretty aggressive, but if you dont sign the biggest "name" fans seem to think he is doing nothing.

He doesn't have to sign the biggest name in FA if he could draft worth a damn. But he can't draft worth a damn so how else do you expect this team to get good players?

Even though the Jets did not really chase the Big Fish, they will end up spending at or very close to the Cap.  There will not be a lot of Cap carry forward like prior years. 

If he is looking at least until 2023, he can really draft BPA, except at QB.  He can even do that in the later rounds.  The worst thing that can happen is he takes a T that could require something to happen with one of the other two.  

But if I am JD, I am not spending future Cap until he builds a 9-8 roster with his current strategy.  I don’t think he is there yet.   I do think some of these AFC teams that have invested so much in QB will fizzle out as they lose the ability to field an entire roster.  

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Idzik had the identical approach. Accumulate draft picks; only pay up to _____ for this FA and after that the player can pound sand. Turns out it’s easier to declare that as a plan, and execute it in year 1, than to actually succeed doing it & keep it up. Most of them cave after it didn’t work in year 1, especially in this media market. e.g. Idzik picking up Percy Harvin.

At the same time, a GM needs to be flexible (or I guess, be flexible enough to be flexible lol). If he drafts or signs 2 would-be starters at a position, and it’s clear they’re not working out, doubling down on stubbornness isn’t going to help any and he’ll need to go back to that well again even if it’s not part of his plan. 

e.g. I’m totally against using yet another 1st round pick on OL this year. If Becton has a y3 like his y2, sure I’d come off that stance — and so should Douglas. But jumping at it this year is panic not a plan. If Douglas or other team insiders, who are seeing him up close, see that this is destined to fail? Again, more flexible in that stance (and equally confident in Douglas getting as good a deal as can be had in return for him).

Good point about Idzik and Percy Harvin.

As far as drafting an OL in the 1st round again, I hear your point but there's also a question about passing up on opportunities when they fall into your lap (e.g. Ekwonu).  Tbh, I wouldn't be thrilled about using a 1st rounder on an OL this year either but I do think our OL is more suspect than it might first appear.  Becton is obviously a huge question mark and how much depth do we have in the event of injuries? 

I guess you can look at OL depth in today's NFL as a luxury.  Burrow almost won it all with a crappy OL.  OTOH, Patrick Mahomes got overrun in the SB 2 years ago.  But there are always limited resources so it's up to JD to do what he thinks is best, of course.

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:
2 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:
I've just spent 21.5 percent of my life NOT watching playoff football all the while being basically obsessed with this franchise.  
I spent less time waiting from the onset of puberty to the time a woman let me have her for thirty six glorious seconds.
Never thought I'd have to go through it again but here it is. This team has got my balls bluer than an Elvis Presley Christmas. 
If the Bible was being written today there'd be a fckin chapter in it about me. 
Honest question, are you a Buddhist monk, by any chance? I ask because those dudes are famous for their bad analogies.

Nah I'm irish .. which lends itself to inebriated anachronisms and metaphors.

Have you met my friend Shane?

• Sympathy 1

19 hours ago, Shockwave said:

I highly doubt anyone in league circles would ever compare Douglas and Idzik. 

There's been a hundred GM's out there that tried to get a bunch of picks but none of them are the same. Douglas can draft, nail waiver wire picks, get FA's, trade mid draft, land the HC he wanted, nailed the QB call and manages the cap extremely well.  He is the real deal. 

I would absolutely shocked if he's not here long term as he's a stud.  Him and Saleh have long deals. We have almost no dead cap this year and Joe has gained full control over the owner. Enjoy them Jet fans bc wether you like it or not there are not going anywhere for at least 2 more years. 

I was more comparing their approach.  Obviously Idzik (and probably more the team he put together) didn't have nearly the success at talent evaluation.

2 hours ago, Larz said:

Adjust your expectations tho, JD doesn’t expect to win, we shouldn’t either. 

I fear woody found his perfect GM. Keep the distractions and scandals low, keep expenses low, keep the fans fooled, keep playing golf and shopping for yacht

giphy.gif

4 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

He brought in 2 TE's in FA... He got 2 that were less than the amount other teams spent for 1 WR. This offense is TE friendly, and we had NONE. There was no TE to throw to in this offense to take any pressure of our WR's. Granted we don't have the best WR yet, and I'm giving Moore this year since Wilson was not very good last year, but those 2 TE's should help out very nicely. I'd rather get someone like Burks or Watson at WR from the draft then spend 30mil on a WR. Just makes sense.

I agree. There’s a reason for that. They have 2500 yards between them across 11 years in 2 different teams. Standing ovation is in order. I think these two TEs can instantly match what Gronk n Aaron Hernandez did together in NE. 

Give me a break. Fans pretending like we hit some sort of jackpot with the 2 never-had-been TEs. Hanging your hat on these two players and a rookie WR (assuming JD is believes there is a need for one to draft one early) is a terrible idea and relies heavily on the rookie. 

If he hits on the rookie, he gets kudos. If he doesn’t, the excuses would be ‘it was a calculated risk, smart move, building through the draft and you can’t hit every pick, player got hurt, Corey dropped a few extra passes, couldn’t afford a high ticket WR (salary cap hell? Lol), Moore didn’t work out as expected etc. 

So no, it doesn’t make sense. Every PB caliber QB has had 1 or 2 PB caliber WRs at all times (unless you’re Brady). And there’s a reason for that. We have none as of right now. The least we can do is provide the ingredients for Wilson to be successful and if he fails, then the “weaponzzz” excuse is out of the door. 

1 hour ago, varjet said:

I do think some of these AFC teams that have invested so much in QB will fizzle out as they lose the ability to field an entire roster.  

The cap goes up every year and alot in 2024. Waiting for the rest of the afc to stop spending is not a real strategy. 

But even if it were, Zach wilson is going to want 100 million in 4 years. How will that impact the Jets ability to field an entire roster? Is right now their super bowl window? 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jet2020 said:

I agree. There’s a reason for that. They have 2500 yards between them across 11 years in 2 different teams. Standing ovation is in order. I think these two TEs can instantly match what Gronk n Aaron Hernandez did together in NE. 

Give me a break. Fans pretending like we hit some sort of jackpot with the 2 never-had-been TEs. Hanging your hat on these two players and a rookie WR (assuming JD is believes there is a need for one to draft one early) is a terrible idea and relies heavily on the rookie. 

If he hits on the rookie, he gets kudos. If he doesn’t, the excuses would be ‘it was a calculated risk, smart move, building through the draft and you can’t hit every pick, player got hurt, Corey dropped a few extra passes, couldn’t afford a high ticket WR (salary cap hell? Lol), Moore didn’t work out as expected etc. 

So no, it doesn’t make sense. Every PB caliber QB has had 1 or 2 PB caliber WRs at all times (unless you’re Brady). And there’s a reason for that. We have none as of right now. The least we can do is provide the ingredients for Wilson to be successful and if he fails, then the “weaponzzz” excuse is out of the door. 

Point taken, we'll just have to see how it plays out, cause JD ain't paying that kind of money for a WR...  I'd of loved us signing a #1 WR, but at those prices, I can see why JD passed. It's not unheard of for a rookie WR to play well. There are plenty of examples... On the flip side, there are plenty of example that they don't produce in year 1. It's going to have to work, because like I said, JD is not going to spurge for one. The only way I see one coming is either the draft or trade.

4 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Skeleton Trumpet GIF

This is me playing the trumpet while waiting for JD to surround Zach Wilson with weaponz. 

In one fell swoop, JD turned our TE room from deplorable to respectable. Nice job JD.

The RB and WR room need to be leveled up. Michael Carter is a solid RB2, but I am not deluding myself into thinking he can shoulder the load. Heh heh, load.

Moore, Davis, and B-Dubs and little depth is an atrocious WR crew. I really hope that JD has a plan. I'd love to see some 4D chess right about now. 

Good post.

I think they'll find a back in the 4th they like (would love Hall at 38, but just don't see JD being that aggressive)  But I do agree that Carter is a solid RB2 and they need to add another player of at least his level.

WR, I'm confident Joe will upgrade the position before the draft.  There's a reason he's left so much cap space this year.  He can't possibly go into next year with two relatively big injury risks in Davis and Moore, a rookie and B-Dubs :-) 

• Upvote 1

The cap goes up every year and alot in 2024. Waiting for the rest of the afc to stop spending is not a real strategy. 
But even if it were, Zach wilson is going to want 100 million in 4 years. How will that impact the Jets ability to field an entire roster? Is right now their super bowl window? 

100 million is less than half of the tuggers juice in Cleveland.

7 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Good point about Idzik and Percy Harvin.

As far as drafting an OL in the 1st round again, I hear your point but there's also a question about passing up on opportunities when they fall into your lap (e.g. Ekwonu).  Tbh, I wouldn't be thrilled about using a 1st rounder on an OL this year either but I do think our OL is more suspect than it might first appear.  Becton is obviously a huge question mark and how much depth do we have in the event of injuries? 

I guess you can look at OL depth in today's NFL as a luxury.  Burrow almost won it all with a crappy OL.  OTOH, Patrick Mahomes got overrun in the SB 2 years ago.  But there are always limited resources so it's up to JD to do what he thinks is best, of course.

Difference in philosophy. I’m not a “pure BAP” adherent when it’s that early in the draft.

As long as he’s not reaching badly, this early in the draft a GM should be filling a current hole or upgrading from a horrible placeholder starter. Either that or trade down.

Later on - and the later the draft gets - finding starters at any position becomes more difficult in general, so at those later points I’m more of a BAP guy.