Becton's workout II

Bronx

becton apologists sound like mims apologists

if joe has any idea of what he is doing he figures out a plan for becton-you cant draft another tackle after using such a high pick on becton-what is next drafting a qb next year to replace wilson? the high picks you better get right-if you miss on them you are not the answer

2 hours ago, freestater said:

Oh, I agree with that. I want a T before we're done with round 3 though. If we could trade back in 2 and get Raimann from Cent Mich, I'd be stoked. It would be great for a rookie to get a year in as a backup to gather the skills to contribute in this scheme. The addition of Tomlinson allows us to take a guy a little deeper, who still may become a long term starter (post 2023)

Just curious -- what's the goal with a T before round 3 (let alone round 2) specifically? Is it more to have a long term starter or more 2022 & beyond insurance for a starter (i.e. a permanent backup)?

Insurance for Fant or Becton (i.e. ideally he'd be a backup this year)?

• If it's insurance for this season, I wouldn't be that confident in betting on a 3rd rounder being the primary backup at both tackle spots. I'd have much more confidence in a more-known quantity personally. Never mind we'd end up with whichever one falls to us, since it's hard to target just one player outside the top 10, let alone outside the top 50-60. Also we'd want the flexibility to be able to pass on this one guy in case an even higher-rated prospect slipped somehow. 
  • If it's insurance for a semi-longterm backup, I think round 2 & upper round 3 is a bit much of an investment. It's just not like depth at other positions where they're useful as part-time players (e.g. a WR who only sees 20-30% of the snaps will have plays/formations where his number's called a bunch). A backup tackle plays 0% unless there's an injury when he's the next man up, and then he's playing 100%. You need to make a major up/down decision on him & he can't be gradually given more playing time. 

If he's to be a future starter, after this season, is it to replace Fant or Becton and why?

• If Becton has a great season this year, you're not going to want to dump him for a 3rd rounder who didn't see (or who barely saw) the field.
  • If it's to replace Fant (either directly or by having Becton slide back to LT) I can understand that since the savings would be significant. On paper, this makes more sense than a round 2-3 pick to supplant the still-cheap (and frankly, more talented) Becton.

So anyway, that's why I was targeting center earlier than T because McGovern is very upgrade-able and needs a new contract (and between Fant & Tomlinson they'll already have two significant veteran contracts on the OL). Doesn't make me right, but that was my thought process.

But a tackle in the draft? I'm thinking of drafting a permanent backup who has an outside chance of unseating one of the two starters if they disappoint (or the pick gets a shot only due to injury); but with the knowledge that he probably will be just the OT4 this year behind someone I'd prefer we add who's better than McDermott. McDermott, for me, would be a super-emergency roster spot if we don't draft a tackle or if the guy we drafted is more useless than Edoga was; otherwise he shouldn't even make the cut at the end of the summer. I wouldn't want to sink a 2nd rounder (nor even a high 3rd) with the goal of a permanent backup solution, if Becton really bounces back and the team still wants to extend Fant. 

On 3/21/2022 at 7:34 AM, Matt39 said:

Yeah i feel like there’s potential with him to try and bring down the whole ship. He’s immature. Something had been off the entire time and it’s amazing how Douglas didn’t flag this before the draft. Mims too.

How many guys are there on the planet who can carry 364 pounds and play in the NFL? You can't count them on one hand but you probably can on two. That's where Becton bottomed out and he couldn't maintain it for much longer than about 5.1 seconds. Way more of the blame should go to the fooled than the fooler here, but at the same time we're talking about a guy who loved to get on twitter and tell the fanboys how to fanboy when they were all still squarely on his jock, and that obviously bears on the applicable standard of fair comment. If you can't do your job and have no intention of trying and get paid anyway, the people who don't have that luxury are going to have jokes, and you kind of just have to chalk that up to the price of fat privilege. The scolds blubbering about mental health have to be saying what they think they're supposed to. He did the fraud, he took the zingers, he kept the money. It's the effing american dream.

• Upvote 1