Cimini on some draft buzz

14 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

80 last year and this year are nothing because we're 120 under next year?  And if they want to spend 120 next year?   Regardless its good sense to overpay for a player just for the hell of it.  

Back to the underfunded nonsense, the same whine 

The team has no long term money invested in anyone 

They should extend players to make cap space 

That's how they underfund. They let Fant and McGovern and even QW play on these high cash deals 

If they extend all 3 the cap hit in the near term is nothing and they have freed upon 30 million dollars for an extra free agent 

Instead they extend no one. It's wasted opportunity 

31 minutes ago, bitonti said:

That's how they underfund. They let Fant and McGovern and even QW play on these high cash deals 

If they extend all 3 the cap hit in the near term is nothing and they have freed upon 30 million dollars for an extra free agent 

JD seems to be intentionally keeping cap space open for this year. The Tomlinson deal is also backloaded.

14 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Kind of making it up now.  

He was always a first rounder, top of the first who we took because quite literally there was no one for us to take when we missed out on one of the Longs or Ryan

Well, a lot of people also wanted Darren Mc, who went 4 to the raiders.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

that’s where JD’s insinuations about trading for a star veteran player - ie bigger salary, thus maintaining sufficient open cap space - may still come into play 

Who is the target even? Hunter? Saquon Barkley? 

it feels like a long shot 

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

What does long term over short term have to do with spending towards the limits? 

The Jets spent lots of money this offseason.  So what they spread it around as opposed to giving it to a handful of players?  

Who do they need to resign that the havent?  Still crying about Adams?  Who?  Who just has to be signed today?  I assume to save dollars, so which is it?  They're cheap or not.  Sign someone today and they excel you got a deal.  Sign them today and they fall, bad deal.  

Hate to break this to you, JD was talking about resigning Berrios and Q.  One down, we'll see if they can get Q done.  So we need to run out and sign Fant?  Who has a history of injuries and has had one good season, I'm not in a rush to sign him

JD has handled it right.  Tore down the roster and rebuilt with the draft.  Didnt piss away his $$ held off for the kids to develop and went deeper in this year having a roster overloaded with second year players.  He'll add in this years draft which will hopefully be like last years draft and then have $180M or so to spend, spend it where its really needed

On 3/20/2022 at 10:59 AM, T0mShane said:

No on Thibodeaux (no sh*t) but maybe a yes on…Kyle Hamilton!

4. No dibs on Thibs: A lot of fans want the Jets to draft Oregon's Kayvon Thibodeauxbecause they need an edge rusher (so what else is new?) and he's a big name. Frankly, I'd be surprised if they take Thibodeaux with the fourth pick.

One AFC scout called him "overrated," saying Thibodeaux lacks the natural bend to be an elite outside pass-rusher. ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay has questioned his fire. Some talent evaluators wonder about his commitment to football, saying he spends too much time talking about off-the-field interests.

Let's be clear: These opinions didn't come from anyone affiliated with the Jets, but the emerging narrative makes me believe he's not a fit in coach Robert Saleh's "all-gas, no brake" world.

6. Ball hawk needed: The addition of Whitehead, along with the return of Lamarcus Joyner, improves the safety situation, but the defense still lacks a playmaker on the back end. Some folks in the scouting community still think the Jets could draft Notre Dame safety Kyle Hamilton, who would be the ideal complement to Whitehead. The Jets need a deep stopper after allowing a league-high 33 completions of 20-plus air yards.

We need a "I just threw up in my mouth" emoji... 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

Well, a lot of people also wanted Darren Mc, who went 4 to the raiders.

There were some but looking at his Raiders career reminds me of why you dont the RBs ar 4.  Some good, too much bad for a 4th overall

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

What does long term over short term have to do with spending towards the limits? 

Hate to break this to you, JD was talking about resigning Berrios and Q.  One down, we'll see if they can get Q done.  So we need to run out and sign Fant?  Who has a history of injuries and has had one good season, I'm not in a rush to sign 

Without long term money they cannot play the extension game to get around the cap. Like how the saints went from 71 million over the cap to signing all sorts of players like maye and Winston. 

Who could have been extended that wasn't? I just told you in plain English: Fant, McGovern and QW. Extending those players would have freed up another 30 million for free agents this year. Doing it right now could be a zadarius Smith. Or an Arden Key 

It's lost opportunity. 

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Without long term money they cannot play the extension game to get around the cap. Like how the saints went from 71 million over the cap to signing all sorts of players like maye and Winston. 

Who could have been extended that wasn't? I just told you in plain English: Fant, McGovern and QW. Extending those players would have freed up another 30 million for free agents this year. Doing it right now could be a zadarius Smith. Or an Arden Key 

It's lost opportunity. 

And I replied, also in plain English, JD said he was trying to extend QW.  McGovern I’d hold off on, Fant I have no idea they want to given he’s had one season of play deserving of an extension.  
The Saints weren’t taken from $71 mil any way that we couldn’t.  Plus JD had us near the top of teams with the most cap last year, this year and with $180 under next im guessing near the top once again.  We have room for whoever we need

14 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And I replied, also in plain English, JD said he was trying to extend QW.  McGovern I’d hold off on, Fant I have no idea they want to given he’s had one season of play deserving of an extension.  
The Saints weren’t taken from $71 mil any way that we couldn’t.  Plus JD had us near the top of teams with the most cap last year, this year and with $180 under next im guessing near the top once again.  We have room for whoever we need

OK so they have to draft a center and a right tackle then.

That's the other problem with not extending players, JD has to use the draft to keep solving the same problem over and over 

As for Fant they can't just wait forever to extend guys. The closer these guys get to fa the more they want to test the market. Why would Fant wait all year and then be happy to return? Players hate playing without security, and the Jets do not give anyone security 

Extending QW isn't difficult it just requires a big check. The Jets never seem to find that money though. It takes money to make money. Spend it on Quinnen, you can add another piece right now. 

Instead these guys have high cash deals and no security 

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

That's the other problem with not extending players, JD has to use the draft to keep solving the same problem over and over 

As for Fant they can't just wait forever to extend guys. The closer these guys get to fa the more they want to test the market. Why would Fant wait all year and then be happy to return? Players hate playing without security, and the Jets do not give anyone security 

Extending QW isn't difficult it just requires a big check. The Jets never seem to find that money though. It takes money to make money. Spend it on Quinnen, you can add another piece right now. 

They have a year get a replacement C or resign McGovern.  
‘You do get that the shltty drafting after 5 years of Macc left us without a player deserving of a second contract?   Blowing a huge hole in the we have to extend garbage, just because.  
I guarantee JD would rather have had a roster full of players that deserved extensions over the crap he was left with 

• Upvote 1

but it can also work in our favor like with Berrios. he was asking for more then 6 mil but checked the market and it wasnt there.

Fant got to understand we cant just extend him after one good year when we dont have too. we could be stuck with him if he plays bad. plus i cant see Fant costing crazy money. JD should be able to match it.

i like QW but he being an ex 1st rd pick might think he is worth alot of money. maybe Leo type money that the Giants are clearly regretting right now. he only had 6 sacks last year and played on the worst defense. 

if JD can get him to accept around 15 mil a year then i would give him the extension. if he is looking for 20 mil a year then no. he needs to have a really good 2022 for that. and if we lose him so be it. i rather lose him then being stuck paying him over 20 mil for 6 sacks a year.

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, JAFJET said:

I wonder if back when the Jets took Bryan Thomas, who was a decent player, 2 picks before Ed Reed - if the Jets were thinking yeah Reed is really good but an edge rusher trumps a safety.

what made that even worst was we already had Shaun Ellis and John Abraham as our Edges. and both were young (23 and 24 yr old). and we could have used a saftey. but at the 22nd pick which Thomas was drafted anyone should be drafted. 

but at 4 i do think it matters.

hell i had to double check to see if Rex was the HC because it made no sense to draft another Edge when we had 2 really good ones.

15 hours ago, bitonti said:

It's lost opportunity. 

13 hours ago, bitonti said:

As for Fant they can't just wait forever to extend guys. The closer these guys get to fa the more they want to test the market.

In plain English I told you JD said he had extensions to take care of.  

McGovern was extended last night, so was White so sleep well.  

And @bitonti

Good Night Reaction GIF

9 hours ago, JAFJET said:

I wonder if back when the Jets took Bryan Thomas, who was a decent player, 2 picks before Ed Reed - if the Jets were thinking yeah Reed is really good but an edge rusher trumps a safety.

Dont remember anything about that draft but I wouldn't blame them for that way of thinking. There is and will only be 1 Ed Reed, they just so happen to miss him. 

And @bitonti

Good Night Reaction GIF

i think your getting McDermont confused with McGovern. i cant find it anywhere that Gov signed an extension.

• Upvote 1

And @bitonti

Good Night Reaction GIF

What I'm describing is the economics term "opportunity cost" 

By not being extending McGovern and Fant, they are losing the opportunity to spend that money somewhere else. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/20/2022 at 10:42 AM, Guilhermezmc said:

Such a Jets thing draft another safety top 5 and a pass rusher who can't rush the passer

Jamal Adams was the only safety that the Jets ever drafted high, at least in the pass 25 years or more, so explain how it would be "a Jets thing" if they did draft a safety in the top 5? As far as pass rusher, the reason none of them haven't been able to rush the QB is because the Jets have been obsessed for years with this odd believe of rushing the QB via interior linemen. 

Fine but these players are both 30, both in the last year of a 3 year deal. That means the Jets have to draft their replacements either now or before 2023

So, thats how the NFL works.

You know how it doesn't work well?  Extend a  player you dont like or arent thrilled with because you want to play them for no reason other than they will need to be replaced.  While giving him a raise over what he was being paid

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So, thats how the NFL works.

You know how it doesn't work well?  Extend a  player you dont like or arent thrilled with because you want to play them for no reason other than they will need to be replaced.  While giving him a raise over what he was being paid

paying players gives the team more flexibility not less 

that's cap in the year 2022

and it goes up every year 

What I'm describing is the economics term "opportunity cost" 

By not being extending McGovern and Fant, they are losing the opportunity to spend that money somewhere else. 

And one more time, they have $180M to spend next year.  Expensive FAs are gone this year

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

paying players gives the team more flexibility not less 

that's cap in the year 2022

and it goes up every year 

They had $48M this year, 2022, they have $19M left.  After the money needed for draft picks they will have spent right up to the cap.  Your usual complaint

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And one more time, they have $180M to spend next year.  Expensive FAs are gone this year

JD almost made me eat my words with the Hill trade

my question is what sort of extension was JD offering Hill? is it possible Miami offered a sweeter extension? 

btw when we started this thread Zadarius Smith was still a FA

here's the math: Extend Fant, free up 10 Mil in 2022 cap, sign another FA like Zadarius Smith to a front loaded deal. and next year the cap goes up. 

by letting players like Fant, McG and QW play on this high cash, low bonus deals, it's all short term money, as you point out but they end up with less talent on their team than others who play the cap-extend game