Cimini on some draft buzz

3 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Me too, I hate taking secondary that high but there is an exception to the rule and Sauce, IMO, is that, especially with this particular draft.  He honestly might be the best overall player in this whole damn thing, honestly.

I think that the Jets have enough corners, though. Hall, Reed, Echols, and Michael Carter is a pretty solid group, imo. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think that the Jets have enough corners, though. Hall, Reed, Echols, and Michael Carter is a pretty solid group, imo. 

I agree, but I can't deny that Sauce is probably the cleanest prospect in the draft this year. 

I'd still take an edge and Jordan Davis or even Garrett Wilson (maybe) over Sauce if it were me, but I wouldn't be upset at Sauce. 

• Upvote 2

What about QB ?   We need a starter. 

https://www.nfl.com/_amp/nfl-qb-index-ranking-all-62-starting-qbs-of-the-2021-nfl-season

keep scrolling 

keep scrolling 

nope, not there yet. 

keep scrolling 

There he is !    

Zach Wilson

New York Jets · Rookie

2021 stats: 13 games | 55.6 pct | 2,334 pass yds | 6.1 ypa | 9 pass TD | 11 INT | 185 rush yds | 4 rush TD | 5 fumbles

In nearly half of his starts, Wilson was a primary reason his team wasn't competitive. He improved down the stretch, but most of that improvement came down to one terrific game against the Bucs. He did not throw with consistent confidence, even though his arm is outrageous, and finishing the season with a 7-for-20 performance against the Bills left a sour aftertaste. This is a massive offseason for the former No. 2 overall pick.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I dont disagree, it is a solid group but again, this draft is wonky and I think Sauce is potentially the best player in the draft and I'd welcome that type of talent into the mix at corner.  

• Upvote 1

I'm warming up to Karlaftis... I didn't pay any attention to him because his sack #s are low, but watching film he's disruptive as hell and actually looks better than Thibs. I'd be ok with him or Johnson at 10. At 4 take the BPA not named Hamilton.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

27 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

How the f does treyvon walkers name come up now as an elite de? He wasnt even considered a second rounder a few weeks ago. I get it, the dawgs d was good but this kid has 6 sacks this season and just 9.5 in his college career!

thibs has 7. This whole class of “top” edge guys stink. Jj has 14 maybe he is the man we should be talking up not treyvon dudes a 4 th round talent in a normal draft

I think it's all about projecting how they'll fit in a team's system based upon their strengths.  

1 minute ago, tdoublee said:

I'm warming up to Karlaftis... I didn't pay any attention to him because his sack #s are low, but watching film he's disruptive as hell and actually looks better than Thibs. I'd be ok with him or Johnson at 10. At 4 take the BPA not named Hamilton.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Sauce at 4 and Karlaftis at 10 then?  I could live with that.  Grab a WR in the 2nd and maybe a LB or DT with our other 2nd rounder.  Then maybe a S or TE in the 3rd (and grab the other spot in the 4th?)

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Larz said:

What about QB ?   We need a starter. 

https://www.nfl.com/_amp/nfl-qb-index-ranking-all-62-starting-qbs-of-the-2021-nfl-season

keep scrolling 

keep scrolling 

nope, not there yet. 

keep scrolling 

There he is !    

Zach Wilson

New York Jets · Rookie

2021 stats: 13 games | 55.6 pct | 2,334 pass yds | 6.1 ypa | 9 pass TD | 11 INT | 185 rush yds | 4 rush TD | 5 fumbles

In nearly half of his starts, Wilson was a primary reason his team wasn't competitive. He improved down the stretch, but most of that improvement came down to one terrific game against the Bucs. He did not throw with consistent confidence, even though his arm is outrageous, and finishing the season with a 7-for-20 performance against the Bills left a sour aftertaste. This is a massive offseason for the former No. 2 overall pick.

Very well may. But, obviously not this draft. Truth is not the year to draft a QB anyhow, might as well run this one back. He might break to 20. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Linebacker from Wisonsin is going to go a lot higher than where he's projected. I like Lloyd but he's slower than everyone thought.

Not to get into a whole thing. I know it might be crazy to go LB at 10. And I know Lloyd is not considered the most athletic LB in the draft. Nor is he the fastest. But for a guy who really got his recognition because of his elite production, defensive instincts, and leadership, he did just fine in the combine. I have no red flags with him. If we take him at 10 but maybe he should've gone 5-6 picks later. I'm fine with that. I mean, depends who is available, but I def. like the player. 

Take a look at him at the combine. Looks a little stiff but look at how well he does everything. Perfect execution, quick feet, he knows how to move and react. Look at the little vid they show where they compare his measurables to LBs like Darius Leonard and Fred Warner. He's right there with them in height, weight, 40 time. Goes out there and puts up 25 reps, like a lineman.

Devin Lloyd Draft and Combine Prospect Profile | NFL.com

Total Saleh guy. LB is the one position we didn't really address in FA. He's a great fit for the defense as that Sam to replace Davis and will be an eventual replacement for Mosley as our starting Mike. He can play in the Nickel with Mosley. He will def. be a 3 down player in this defense. This is not someone we're drafting for depth or on potential, this is a starter to address an immediate need.    

• Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

How the f does treyvon walkers name come up now as an elite de? He wasnt even considered a second rounder a few weeks ago. I get it, the dawgs d was good but this kid has 6 sacks this season and just 9.5 in his college career!

thibs has 7. This whole class of “top” edge guys stink. Jj has 14 maybe he is the man we should be talking up not treyvon dudes a 4 th round talent in a normal draft

A. Research the difference between the SEC and PAC 12

B. Thibodaux has literally told people he is only interested in using football as a way to leverage into a position for Nike in a "Brand Ambassador" role or some bullsh*t

C. Thibodaux is physically Dion Jordan 2.0

• Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Not to get into a whole thing. I know it might be crazy to go LB at 10. And I know Lloyd is not considered the most athletic LB in the draft. Nor is he the fastest. But for a guy who really got his recognition because of his elite production, defensive instincts, and leadership, he did just fine in the combine. I have no red flags with him. If we take him at 10 but maybe he should've gone 5-6 picks later. I'm fine with that. I mean, depends who is available, but I def. like the player. 

Take a look at him at the combine. Looks a little stiff but look at how well he does everything. Perfect execution, quick feet, he knows how to move and react. Look at the little vid they show where they compare his measurables to LBs like Darius Leonard and Fred Warner. He's right there with them in height, weight, 40 time. Goes out there and puts up 25 reps, like a lineman.

Total Saleh guy. LB is the one position we didn't really address in FA. He's a great fit for the defense as that Sam to replace Davis and will be an eventual replacement for Mosley as our starting Mike. He can play in the Nickel with Mosley. He will def. be a 3 down player in this defense. This is not someone we're drafting for depth or on potential, this is a starter to address an immediate need.    

I think JD will try to trade down and draft a guy like this.  

• Upvote 1

I'd honestly consider taking WRs at 4 and 10. I really would. In todays NFL its all about the offense - the rules favor the passing game.

If Douglas goes defense at 4 and 10, he should be fired - regardless of him going offense the rest of the draft.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

Just now, Barton said:

I'd honestly consider taking WRs at 4 and 10. I really would. In todays NFL its all about the offense - the rules favor the passing game.

If Douglas goes defense at 4 and 10, he should be fired - regardless of him going offense the rest of the draft.

They’re going to run the ball 500 times next year. Receivers are hood ornaments in this offense

• Sympathy 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Douglas, for the second year in a row, has handed out at least $80 mil guaranteed to free agents. Yikes.

I appreciate however that many of these feel like front loaded short contracts. The Covid years have made rosters pretty fluid, most of these guys are in 2-3 year deals with maneuverability after 2. Call it the Big Macc after effect 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

No on Thibodeaux (no sh*t) but maybe a yes on…Kyle Hamilton!

4. No dibs on Thibs: A lot of fans want the Jets to draft Oregon's Kayvon Thibodeauxbecause they need an edge rusher (so what else is new?) and he's a big name. Frankly, I'd be surprised if they take Thibodeaux with the fourth pick.

One AFC scout called him "overrated," saying Thibodeaux lacks the natural bend to be an elite outside pass-rusher. ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay has questioned his fire. Some talent evaluators wonder about his commitment to football, saying he spends too much time talking about off-the-field interests.

Let's be clear: These opinions didn't come from anyone affiliated with the Jets, but the emerging narrative makes me believe he's not a fit in coach Robert Saleh's "all-gas, no brake" world.

no smoking omg GIF

Jets smokescreen in full effect in March?

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

6. Ball hawk needed: The addition of Whitehead, along with the return of Lamarcus Joyner, improves the safety situation, but the defense still lacks a playmaker on the back end. Some folks in the scouting community still think the Jets could draft Notre Dame safety Kyle Hamilton, who would be the ideal complement to Whitehead. The Jets need a deep stopper after allowing a league-high 33 completions of 20-plus air yards.

This one is interesting because I've come around on the idea that FS might actually be in play for the Jets very early.  Every single indication is that the Jets were in serious play for Marcus Williams and that they may have offered more than Baltimore did.  That would mean something in the neighborhood of $15M+.  IF the Jets were willing to spend that much on a Safety in FA then it is certainly plausible they'd use the #4 pick on a Safety in a Draft that lacks star power at the top this year.

Many people would absolutely lose their minds if the Jets used the #4 on Hamilton, yet they were some of the same people disappointed we didn't dole out more than the $70M that Baltimore did for Williams.

I think the decision on Hamilton at #4 would come down to two simple things:  1) Is he truly the type of defense-changing player that Saleh wants?  Could Hamilton be Saleh's Earl Thomas that he had in Seattle?  2) Obviously, who else is on the board at #4.  Did Hutchinson drop somehow, etc.?  Do the Jets value the third best Edge guy (eg. Jermaine Johnson, Travon Walker, etc.) MORE than the best overall Safety?  Basically, it's an opportunity cost question.  The Jets could calculate that passing on Edge at #4 wouldn't be horrible because they could probably get the 4th or 5th best Edge guy at #10 or a very good one at the top of Round 2.  But passing on Hamilton means a big drop-off and even some of the 2nd round safeties are more box guys than free safeties.

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I appreciate however that many of these feel like front loaded short contracts. The Covid years have made rosters pretty fluid, most of these guys are in 2-3 year deals with maneuverability after 2. Call it the Big Macc after effect 

On the one hand, yes. On the other hand, I struggled to remember who they signed last year that was expensive. I could only come up with Lawson and maybe Fant.

Just now, T0mShane said:

On the one hand, yes. On the other hand, I struggled to remember who they signed last year that was expensive. I could only come up with Lawson and maybe Fant.

Davis, Cole, Davis the LB. As far as his point goes I think Lawson got 40 guaranteed or something so thats half right there 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

**Johnson @ 4, Jordan Davis @ 10**

That's what I think.... However

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

Wouldnt hate that either but I think Sauce is probably a more valuable piece than Davis.  Sauce will play 100% of the snaps on D vs. Davis playing maybe 50/60% range.  Something I think you have to consider for a team that needs talent on the field desperately. 

I think JiF makes a good point. It is possible we can get a DT later.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

They’re going to run the ball 500 times next year. Receivers are hood ornaments in this offense

if the jets draft an OL at 4 then yes they are building 49ers east and intend to ram the ball down teams’ throats and use wilson as a game manager throwing to rbs, experienced TEs and moore.

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

if the jets draft an OL at 4 then yes they are building 49ers east and intend to ram the ball down teams’ throats and use wilson as a game manager throwing to rbs, experienced TEs and moore.

I don’r think they can draft OL unless they move Becton.

• Upvote 4

At this point Cimini is being paid to cobble together articles off of word of mouth and borrowed opinions. 

I smell a WR trade on the horizon. No one at #10 can fill the void he had in mind with Calvin Ridley and Mike Williams.

My money is still on Jeudy and Aiyuk. Both teams need draft capital.