Cimini on some draft buzz

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I think that the Jets have enough corners, though. Hall, Reed, Echols, and Michael Carter is a pretty solid group, imo. 

On top of that, if Reed who seems to be able to read the field very well, can teach Hall how to do that, I'm guessing we might have a pretty good 1-2 punch at CB, and Echols and Carter are not that much of a slouch either.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, tdoublee said:

I'm warming up to Karlaftis... I didn't pay any attention to him because his sack #s are low, but watching film he's disruptive as hell and actually looks better than Thibs. I'd be ok with him or Johnson at 10. At 4 take the BPA not named Hamilton.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Johnson, is as well, and he won't last in the draft where Karlaftis will end up getting picked, so it's JJ for me over Karlaftis any day... Hope that doesn't jinx him lol...

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

A. Research the difference between the SEC and PAC 12

B. Thibodaux has literally told people he is only interested in using football as a way to leverage into a position for Nike in a "Brand Ambassador" role or some bullsh*t

C. Thibodaux is physically Dion Jordan 2.0

I will be severely depressed if we take Thibs at 4..

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Barton said:

I'd honestly consider taking WRs at 4 and 10. I really would. In todays NFL its all about the offense - the rules favor the passing game.

If Douglas goes defense at 4 and 10, he should be fired - regardless of him going offense the rest of the draft.

Imagine how good we would be today if we went offense with all of our first and second round picks from the last 4 years.  Oh, wait, we did.  But we still suck.

Give me two impact players at 4 & 10.  Offense, defense.  Does not matter.  Strength of this draft is defense, and my guess is that at least one, maybe both top 10s will be defense.  And that is okay.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

Feels like this year JD has been trying to position the offense in FA such that he can go heavy D in this Draft, maybe with 3 of this first 4 picks.  We need read the tea leaves...

1. In 2020 the Jets didn't touch defense in Rounds 1 or 2 (Becton, Mims).  They also didn't spend a ton on D in FA.

2. In 2021 the Jets didn't touch defense in Rounds 1, 2, 3 or 4 (Wilson, AVT, Moore, Carter).  They also didn't spend a ton on D in FA outside of the injured Carl Lawson.

3. The Jets had one of, if not THE worst defense in the NFL last year.

4. The 2022 Draft lacks elite offensive talent.  However, it is loaded with defenders, particularly edge guys and a couple of standouts at other positions (eg. Sauce at CB, Hamilton at S).

5. After investing many draft picks on offense the past two years the Jets have dramatically reduced the holes on that side of the board, but they still had a couple.  JD filled them immediately with starters this year in FA.  Plug-and-play RG with a Pro Bowler Laken Tomlinson.  Not one but two starting caliber TEs in Uzomah and Conklin.  In short, while we really want some upgrades on Offense there are no holes.  Especially when you consider how much 12 and maybe even 22 personnel the Jets are going to use.  If we have 2 TEs on the field along with at least one RB then there's only room for 2 WRs on the field.

6. We have defensive head coach salivating to get a couple of young playmakers that he can mentor and coach up.  Saleh is a teacher.  I think he's been waiting patiently as the Jets do all they can to build a foundation around the young QB, but now is the time build the D.

My random guess.... 4. S - Hamilton 10. Edge - Jermaine Johnson 35. WR - Christian Watson 38. LB - Christian Harris 69. TE or RB

Good post.  Except for the Hamilton part.  Don't want him, especially not at 4.

We are not going to win 41-38 shootout type games.  But maybe we can win 27-23 type games.  Last season, we couldn't stop anyone on defense.  We need to improve both sides of the ball.  And if there is more elite day 1 type talent on defense, then I am okay with that approach.  The Rams just won a SB by holding three of four post-season opponents to 20 or less. 

Draft to the strength of the draft, which may  mean defense day 1 and offense day 2.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

The Jets are going to draft a wr at 10 because they are too cheap to actually participate in the high end free agent wide out market 

It's that simple. If Christian kirk gets 84 million, and Devonta Adams gets hundreds, then the Jets have to draft their Mike Evans. Because they are not going to pay for one retail 

Davis always wanted to play with his college QB and chose the Raiders over a larger contract playing with Rodgers.  I know facts make our heads hurt sometimes.

‘As for your usual cheap nonsensical take, $80+M guarantees in is FA signing 2 years in a row has you confused into thinking we would be better off spending it all in much fewer players.  

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

No on Thibodeaux (no sh*t) but maybe a yes on…Kyle Hamilton!

4. No dibs on Thibs: A lot of fans want the Jets to draft Oregon's Kayvon Thibodeauxbecause they need an edge rusher (so what else is new?) and he's a big name. Frankly, I'd be surprised if they take Thibodeaux with the fourth pick.

One AFC scout called him "overrated," saying Thibodeaux lacks the natural bend to be an elite outside pass-rusher. ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay has questioned his fire. Some talent evaluators wonder about his commitment to football, saying he spends too much time talking about off-the-field interests.

Let's be clear: These opinions didn't come from anyone affiliated with the Jets, but the emerging narrative makes me believe he's not a fit in coach Robert Saleh's "all-gas, no brake" world.

6. Ball hawk needed: The addition of Whitehead, along with the return of Lamarcus Joyner, improves the safety situation, but the defense still lacks a playmaker on the back end. Some folks in the scouting community still think the Jets could draft Notre Dame safety Kyle Hamilton, who would be the ideal complement to Whitehead. The Jets need a deep stopper after allowing a league-high 33 completions of 20-plus air yards.

F*** Kyle Hamilton and the hype train he rode in on.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

Good post.  Except for the Hamilton part.  Don't want him, especially not at 4.

We are not going to win 41-38 shootout type games.  But maybe we can win 27-23 type games.  Last season, we couldn't stop anyone on defense.  We need to improve both sides of the ball.  And if there is more elite day 1 type talent on defense, then I am okay with that approach.  The Rams just won a SB by holding three of four post-season opponents to 20 or less. 

Draft to the strength of the draft, which may  mean defense day 1 and offense day 2.

I'm just not sure the Jets would take the 3rd or 4th best Edge player at #4 before taking the best overall Safety.

A lot of people are also saying that as good as Travon Walker seems to be (and this is only post-Combine) he's not particularly a great fit given his size and not worthy of the #4.  If the Draft somehow went Neal, Hutchinson, Thibodeaux I think it would come down to Hamilton, Jermaine Johnson and Ekwonu for the Jets.

I don't particularly want a Safety at #4 either, but JD purportedly was ready to stroke a huge check for Marcus Williams.  That tells me the Jets may value Safety a little more than I previously thought.  Although, it could also simply signal that they value an EXPERIENCED Safety more than I thought and might be less inclined to Draft one.

I'm just not sure the Jets would take the 3rd or 4th best Edge player at #4 before taking the best overall Safety.
A lot of people are also saying that as good as Travon Walker seems to be (and this is only post-Combine) he's not particularly a great fit given his size and not worthy of the #4.  If the Draft somehow went Neal, Hutchinson, Thibodeaux I think it would come down to Hamilton, Jermaine Johnson and Ekwonu for the Jets.
I don't particularly want a Safety at #4 either, but JD purportedly was ready to stroke a huge check for Marcus Williams.  That tells me the Jets may value Safety a little more than I previously thought.  Although, it could also simply signal that they value an EXPERIENCED Safety more than I thought and might be less inclined to Draft one.
They wont .. if thibs and hutch are gone it's going to be OL ... book it.

26 minutes ago, Paradis said:

At this point Cimini is being paid to cobble together articles off of word of mouth and borrowed opinions. 

I smell a WR trade on the horizon. No one at #10 can fill the void he had in mind with Calvin Ridley and Mike Williams.

My money is still on Jeudy and Aiyuk. Both teams need draft capital. 

Don’t think Jerry or Aiyuk worth 10. JMO. 
I agree trade is coming probably during the draft. If not man. We need to get London/Burks/Pickens and another or 2 of 3 because our WRs not impressing anyone 

16 minutes ago, Stark said:

Don’t think Jerry or Aiyuk worth 10. JMO. 
I agree trade is coming probably during the draft. If not man. We need to get London/Burks/Pickens and another or 2 of 3 because our WRs not impressing anyone 

yea no way either team is getting #10 for those guys. This would (i imagine) be the kind of here's a 2nd rounder and we'll take one of your 4ths kind of thing. I would be shocked to hear Joe Douglas thinks drafting a rookie WR at #10 is plan B when Calvin/Mike fell through. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Feels like this year JD has been trying to position the offense in FA such that he can go heavy D in this Draft, maybe with 3 of the first 4 picks.  We need to read the tea leaves...

1. In 2020 the Jets didn't touch defense in Rounds 1 or 2 (Becton, Mims).  They also didn't spend a ton on D in FA.

2. In 2021 the Jets didn't touch defense in Rounds 1, 2, 3 or 4 (Wilson, AVT, Moore, Carter).  They also didn't spend a ton on D in FA outside of the injured Carl Lawson.

3. The Jets had one of, if not THE worst defense in the NFL last year.

4. The 2022 Draft lacks elite offensive talent.  However, it is loaded with defenders, particularly edge guys and a couple of standouts at other positions (eg. Sauce at CB, Hamilton at S).

5. After investing many draft picks on offense the past two years the Jets have dramatically reduced the holes on that side of the ball, but they still had a couple.  JD filled them immediately with starters this year in FA.  Plug-and-play RG with Pro Bowler Laken Tomlinson.  Not one but two starting caliber TEs in Uzomah and Conklin.  In short, while we really want some upgrades on Offense there are no holes.  Especially when you consider how much 12 and maybe even 22 personnel the Jets are going to use.  If we have 2 TEs on the field along with at least one RB then there's only room for 2 WRs on the field.

6. We have a defensive head coach salivating to get a couple of young playmakers that he can mentor and coach up.  Saleh is a teacher.  I think he's been waiting patiently as the Jets do all they can to build a foundation around the young QB, but now is the time build the D. This is the Draft to do it.  If not now, when?

My random guess.... 4. S - Hamilton 10. Edge - Jermaine Johnson 35. WR - Christian Watson 38. LB - Christian Harris 69. TE or RB

Good post.  People do not want to hear it, but I still think JD is holding out hope for Mims.  I'd be surprised if he goes WR in Round 1

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

This team is in dire need of an ILB than can run sideline to sideline like a gazelle. Mosely just isn’t built to play that position but his salary is an albatross. Put him on the outside and I think he’ll do just fine covering half the field instead of the entire field.

Might That Georgia LB might be in play in the early rounds? That’s why I advocate trading #4 to a tackle-needy team. Slide down to the teens and grab your LB. Ahh Madden football is fun!

The sideline to sideline LB that we need that plays for Georgia is Channing Tindall.

He's projected to go in the 3rd round. Ran a fast 4.47 40 time. 

I think we’re going to get DK Metcalf, I just wanted to put that out there in the heavens. I think the longer Seattle goes without an established qb the more inclined DK is going to want to get out of there, Seattle might also come to the conclusion that if he puts up a monster year (although doubtful with a rookie or bottom shelf FA) they might have to give him close to 30 mil per. 

i think the blockbuster is going to be something like JD giving back Seattle 10 and Mims, Davis?  AND Giving DK something like 90-100 guaranteed for 4.  DK doesn’t have to worry about putting up big numbers with a rookie or a slouch going into FA and Seattle gets to draft his replacement or a QB..I feel like Nostradamus right now.. but I don’t know why I didn’t see St.Peters?

5 hours ago, Asymmetrical said:

I will expire if they pick a safety at 4. KT terrifies me and I'd take him over Hamilton without blinking.

In addition to this, how many times are we supposed to be sold that we have to draft the guy because he's the can't miss best player prospect of all times at the thing? It's the same schtick both draft media and the Jets pulled with Adams, Leonard Williams and Quinnen. I mean good lord with this, same ******* narrative literally every single draft when they're not drafting a QB and most importantly it has not worked out well for the Jets once. Once!

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

The sideline to sideline LB that we need that plays for Georgia is Channing Tindall.

He's projected to go in the 3rd round. Ran a fast 4.47 40 time. 

I was disappointed to hear that Dean had a bad pro day: 

from SI.com:

Nakobe Dean, LB: 

Georgia's second-ever Butkus Award winner Nakobe Dean did not partake in any on-field drills at the NFL Combine, so this was the first and final on-field look at Nakobe Dean. Dean's NFL Draft stock has been hampered to this point by skepticism regarding his physical ceiling as a prospect. In an NFL Draft class with several lengthy prospects at the linebacker position — including Dean's teammate Quay Walker — the NFL was anxious to see Dean move on the field.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

from SI.com:

Nakobe Dean, LB: 

Georgia's second-ever Butkus Award winner Nakobe Dean did not partake in any on-field drills at the NFL Combine, so this was the first and final on-field look at Nakobe Dean. Dean's NFL Draft stock has been hampered to this point by skepticism regarding his physical ceiling as a prospect. In an NFL Draft class with several lengthy prospects at the linebacker position — including Dean's teammate Quay Walker — the NFL was anxious to see Dean move on the field.

If dean falls to the 2nd round then scoop him up! Walker/thibs/hutch at 4, Sauce/Wilson/Hamilton at 10 

3 hours ago, HighPitch said:

How the f does treyvon walkers name come up now as an elite de? He wasnt even considered a second rounder a few weeks ago. I get it, the dawgs d was good but this kid has 6 sacks this season and just 9.5 in his college career!

thibs has 7. This whole class of “top” edge guys stink. Jj has 14 maybe he is the man we should be talking up not treyvon dudes a 4 th round talent in a normal draft

Walker was a top ten pick a few weeks ago, not a second rounder.

Johnson (who had 11.5 sacks, not 14), when asked about questions about him as a prospect, noted that he only has one year of production as a prospect. He explained that his one year of production was because of the way he was used…at Georgia. Where Travon Walker played. And had more sacks last year than Johnson did any of his years at Georgia.

Johnson will also turn 24 as a rookie.

Both good prospects, both have questions.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

The Jets are going to draft a wr at 10 because they are too cheap to actually participate in the high end free agent wide out market 

It's that simple. If Christian kirk gets 84 million, and Devonta Adams gets hundreds, then the Jets have to draft their Mike Evans. Because they are not going to pay for one retail 

Imagine defending a team giving Christian Kirk 84 million dollars.  Sheeeeeeeeeesh.  That would almost be as bad as defending the idea of giving up multiple draft picks for a 30 year old wide receiver, just so you can have the exclusive rights to pay him 28.5 million dollars per year.

Oh wait, you’re doing that too.

Please tell me how much the Giants are loving the fact that they “paid retail” for Kenny Golladay to put up worse stats than Corey Davis last year.  I need something to laugh about today.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

If it goes this way, then 

Quick and Easy Italian-American Red Sauce in 40 Minutes or Less Recipe

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

from SI.com:

Nakobe Dean, LB: 

He didn't have a bad pro day.  He just did not workout.  Supposedly dealing with some nagging injuries.  He is expeced to workout for teams in April.

• Upvote 1