Cimini on some draft buzz

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

If Douglas drafts an OT and a WR in the first this year, does anyone stop to say “Hey, didn’t we just spend two high picks on those exact positions two years ago? What happened to those guys?”

Bengals drafted Chase when they had Higgins.  Does it matter if anyone 'stopped to say' a goddam thing? Nothing needs to be said.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

A. Research the difference between the SEC and PAC 12

B. Thibodaux has literally told people he is only interested in using football as a way to leverage into a position for Nike in a "Brand Ambassador" role or some bullsh*t

C. Thibodaux is physically Dion Jordan 2.0

Dude i wasnt lobbying for thibs fyi

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

If Douglas drafts an OT and a WR in the first this year, does anyone stop to say “Hey, didn’t we just spend two high picks on those exact positions two years ago? What happened to those guys?”

we better not pick a OL at 4 even before we signed Laken. he does it now he should be fired.

can you post the link. i want to see what points 1, 2 and 3 were. thanks

23 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Bengals drafted Chase when they had Higgins.  Does it matter if anyone 'stopped to say' a goddam thing? Nothing needs to be said.

Your two starting tackles get 99% of all snaps. Receivers rotate in and out on almost every snap. In no universe is Tee Higgins a WR1. In this analogy, are you making Becton a swing tackle who backs up Fant and Ekonwu? 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Your two starting tackles get 99% of all snaps. Receivers rotate in and out on almost every snap. In no universe is Tee Higgins a WR1. In this analogy, are you making Becton a swing tackle who backs up Fant and Ekonwu? 

If they draft Ekonwu Becton gets traded.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Agree with this. It's not equivalent.

The only reason we'd draft a tackle is because they're done with Becton.

That would be incredibly frustrating but I'd absolutely rather have two competent tackles than spend that other first on a corner/safety and have to see Connor McDermott out there by week five. 

But we won't know that until the draft.

• Upvote 4

I originally wanted Walker at 4 and Wilson at 10. Then I read in another thread that Walker had  only 9.5 sacks for his entire career at Georgia. We can’t be swayed by combine or pro day workouts.  The game tapes are everything. I’m switching my Edge allegiance to Johnson. 
I want nothing to do with Thibeau.  He seems more about his brand than ball. Not a Salah type of player. 

• Upvote 2

I’ve heard Salah discuss the importance of positional value.  Douglas has drafted LT, WR, QB, Guard, WR in the first 2 rounds of the draft.  I believe they get it.  It’s gonna be pass rusher, wide receiver, or offensive linemen or a trade at 4 and then whatever they didn’t get at 4 they revisit or add in a top cornerback.  The money positions.  I would bet on it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, BurnleyJet said:

I can’t believe we need an edge rusher, in the worst way possible, and people are advocating drafting a slow strong Safety at 4.

Take Sauce at 4, and edge at 10.

LOL. For real. This isn’t hard people. 

You don’t see teams out there clamoring and trading for top safeties(except for that stupid team we all know).

54 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Agree with this. It's not equivalent.

The only reason we'd draft a tackle is because they're done with Becton.

That would be incredibly frustrating but I'd absolutely rather have two competent tackles than spend that other first on a corner/safety and have to see Connor McDermott out there by week five. 

But we won't know that until the draft.

OR…hear me out..

They want to draft a Tackle because once this season is over they’ll move on from one of Becton or Fant. And leave the rookie at RT. 

Kinda gives them a ton of flexibility moving forward at one of the most important positions. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 3

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Im talking about WR, not OT. We need one in rd 1. Even though we drafted Moore early last year.  It diesnt say a damn thing  about the moore pick, which was a good one. 

15 minutes ago, JoeFan said:

I originally wanted Walker at 4 and Wilson at 10. Then I read in another thread that Walker had  only 9.5 sacks for his entire career at Georgia. We can’t be swayed by combine or pro day workouts.  The game tapes are everything. I’m switching my Edge allegiance to Johnson. 
I want nothing to do with Thibeau.  He seems more about his brand than ball. Not a Salah type of player. 

Johnson had 6.5 sacks in two years in Georgia (as a junior and senior after junior college). Roughly the same sacks per year as Walker at Georgia, only Johnson was older for his time there. Johnson actually has said that leaving Georgia was important for improving his statistical output.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, STLuLu said:

I agree about Q Williams...they did say he was the best player. But I don't recall them saying that about L Williams. That was about Rex being Rex, wanting another D lineman, which they didn't need. I also don't remember them saying that about Adams because there was a lot of good players in that draft. Also, I can't blame the Jets for drafting him because they needed a safety that year and plus, he was a pro bowl player.

https://www.nbcsports.com/video/joel-klatt-leonard-williams-best-player-draft

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2449344-leonard-williams-to-new-york-jets-full-draft-pick-breakdown

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2374633-is-leonard-williams-the-perfect-nfl-draft-prospect

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, doitny said:

we better not pick a OL at 4 even before we signed Laken. he does it now he should be fired.

can you post the link. i want to see what points 1, 2 and 3 were. thanks

Prepare yourself. With the 4th pick in the 2022 NFL Draft, your NY Jets select

Ikem Ekwonu OT NC State

I dont agree. But Joe Douglas isnt very good at smokescreens. In 2020, everyone knew we were going OT. In 2021, he was even worse. Everyone was saying the Jets were gushing about Zach Wilson. And the 49ers jumped to 3 without even calling the Jets. These same people are saying the Jets like Ekwonu.

8 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Prepare yourself. With the 4th pick in the 2022 NFL Draft, your NY Jets select

Ikem Ekwonu OT NC State

I dont agree. But Joe Douglas isnt very good at smokescreens. In 2020, everyone knew we were going OT. In 2021, he was even worse. Everyone was saying the Jets were gushing about Zach Wilson. And the 49ers jumped to 3 without even calling the Jets. These same people are saying the Jets like Ekwonu.

Love it. Then draft London/Wison or an edge at 10. You can never go wrong drafting offensive linemen. 

• Sympathy 1

Tee Higgins had over 1000 yards and was top 10 in receiving yards per game. In what universe isn’t he a WR1?

8 hours ago, STLuLu said:

The draft experts are saying that Hamilton is the best player in the draft. I say draft him at pick 4. The Jets need all the playmakers they can get no matter what side of the ball they are on.

If Hamilton is the best player in the draft, how come we don't hear about how he's gonna be drafted before we pick at #4 anyway?  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 4
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

If Hamilton is the best player in the draft, how come we don't hear about how he's gonna be drafted before we pick at #4 anyway?  

Because the jets always get 'the best player in the draft' at like 6 or so.  Leo, Quinnen, Jamal  all best players in the draft.

Only the Jets were monumentally stupid enough to draft them and if they picked Hamilton it would be the same.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Im talking about WR, not OT. We need one in rd 1. Even though we drafted Moore early last year.  It diesnt say a damn thing  about the moore pick, which was a good one. 

I was speaking in reference to needing to replace Mims and Becton, specifically. Which is unfortunate.

Here's the thing...

So far in the short sample of JD's FA signings...he's never signed anyone to a 2-3 year deal...that he didn't intend to be a starter.  D.J. Reed was signed for 3 years.  Jordan Witherspoon for 2 years.  Those players certainly signed with the understanding of being a starter.  At decent starter money.  

Reed's advanced stats were impressive.  Most in the top 5-8 area of corner play.  He grades out as a solid #1 corner off of the year he just had.  Hall is a solid #2.  This team doesn't have a serious need at corner anymore.   Sauce just doesn't make sense when you're looking to fill much deeper holes on this team.  

Witherspoon is a solid starting addition at safety.  Probably more for SS.  But again...you can easily find an impact safety after round one.  Either to play behind Joyner and start next year.  Or step in for Joyner if he gets injured again.  You certainly don't need to spend the precious #4 for a non premium overhyped Hamilton.  I smell smoke here clouding the truth.  

Everyone has their preferences with these top 10 picks.  For me it's Edge and WR.  WR probably won't happen unless there's a trade down.  And the more I think about it...the more I want Jameson Williams.  Closest to a Chase-Waddle (lite?). 

Again...whatever ends up happening with #4-10...corner and safety are not that high a need anymore.  You can add to those positions after round one.  Jets have numerous needs.  Many debatable as to order and preference. 

Jets have hardly any depth on this team at all.  OL injuries and you're left with cringe worthy players like McDermott and Feeney facing ferocious blitzing from the likes of Von Miller and other hooligans. You need depth there and maybe future starters. Need for another starting Edge and more depth there.  DT...I draft Devonte Wyatt every chance I get, and a depth piece there too. Starting LBs needed.  Only 3 WRs on this team.  No high volume go-to type and no depth here either.  Jets want a consistently strong run attack for ZW to operate the offense with.  Then a stud RB #1b like a Breece Hall...to complement MC's 1a. 

Reality is that all needs can't be filled this year.  So...IMO...all this talk of Safety-Corner...not top priorities after these FA signings...is more smoke...not fire.      

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

I was thinking about it like this-seeing who the Jets are playing next year, what players can the Jets pick to avoid them getting blown out 8x?  Are Mosley and Quincy doing the job?   The Jets need better defenders, preferably EDGE.  Someone needs to play LB.   The offense will be ok, but the defense currently could not stay on the field with more than half their opponents. 

2 hours ago, derp said:

Johnson had 6.5 sacks in two years in Georgia (as a junior and senior after junior college). Roughly the same sacks per year as Walker at Georgia, only Johnson was older for his time there. Johnson actually has said that leaving Georgia was important for improving his statistical output.

You should get this stickied to the top of the forum.  

It has to be repeated a thousand times to the uninformed. 

I was speaking in reference to needing to replace Mims and Becton, specifically. Which is unfortunate.

We need to replace Mims.  I don't agree on Becton. Premature T0m..  just like she always says.

• Haha 1