Will WR Be This Year's Blindspot?

22 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Lots of talented WR came and went over the last week and Douglas didn't reach for any.  There are some possibilities left but will Douglas find one who will make a difference?  It's hard to say but I believe he will find a tier 2 guy and use two high picks on improving this unit.  

• I don't have a problem with Joe not handing out stupid money for the likes of Amari Cooper and Christian Kirk.  They would have been roster killers in short order, On the other hand, I would have given Juju a similar deal that he got from the Chiefs.
  • I was hoping Joe would make a move for Cedric Wilson.  He's a reliable WR3 and would have helped Zach.
  • DK Metcalf is a pipe dream.
  • The remaining hope is that Douglas can find a second AND third round stud like Michael Thomas, the aforementioned DK Metcalf, Cooper Cupp, Davante Adams, Tyler Lockett, Chris Godwin, and the list goes on and on.  We fans always focus on the top of the pundits list guys and think they are the only ones who will succeed.  It's nonsense.  Douglas's plan is to build through the draft and you only get so many first round picks.  For him/us to succeed, he has to find guys on days two and three.
  • Taking Garrett Wilson and Christian Watson, for example, could form a great nucleus of receivers to go along with what we have.

I agree. The problem last year was the Wilson was a rookie AND his best receiver was a rookie. Wilson should be more advanced this year as well as Moore. Coupled with Moore and a polished rookie like Wilson or Olave or Watson should produce immediate results. There will be sufficient veteran presence with Davis, Berrios and the TE's. I would love to see the Jets take an early 2nd round chance on Jamison Williams if he's there, assuming they get one of the above as well. Or Pickens. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

DK Metcalf is a pipe dream.

Why, the Sea hawks just traded their FQB... That doesn't happen often, and if they're willing to trade their FQB why not a WR as part of a tear down? That DK hasn't been traded yet is probably because no one is offering a noteworthy deal for him, and teams are waiting for the price to drop. Trade back with the 10 and use that later first round pick if you need to.  He's a young monster that would open up the Jets offense in many ways.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Why, the Sea hawks just traded their FQB... That doesn't happen often, and if they're willing to trade their FQB why not a WR as part of a tear down? That DK hasn't been traded yet is probably because no one is offering a noteworthy deal for him, and teams are waiting for the price to drop. Trade back with the 10 and use that later first round pick if you need to.  He's a young monster that would open up the Jets offense in many ways.

Lol they haven't traded DK because they're not trading DK.

• Upvote 3

There's a hidden scripture in JetsLand.  Only mentioned in a whisper... 

"Thou shalt not grant a young drafted QB a legit #1 type wideout.  1st round WR is forbidden." 

This I believe is hanging...like a sword...over the necks of Jets GMs.  Will JD risk his neck...and defy the scripture?  We'll find out come draft day.

Can't wait!

• Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, GreenReaper said:

There's a hidden scripture in JetsLand.  Only mentioned in a whisper... 

"Thou shalt not grant a young drafted QB a legit #1 type wideout1st round WR is forbidden." 

This I believe is hanging...like a sword...over the necks of Jets GMs.  Will JD risk his neck...and defy the scripture?  We'll find out come draft day.

Can't wait!

Is there one in the draft?  Garrett Wilson maybe?  Jameson Williams if he can fully recover?  Anyone else?

17 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Barring a trade for a veteran WR before the draft, I expect the Jets to pick a WR in either round 1 or 2 (mostly likely with the #10 overall pick in round 1). 

I'd be shocked if they don't. 

Agreed.  I think it'll be in the 2nd but we'll see if JD ends up trading down.

• Upvote 2

The Jets have drafted WR in Round 2 twice in a row now. They gave out their second biggest FA contract to a WR last year. They just signed two pass-catchers at TE this year and re-signed their WR3.

And, they’ve drafted OL in Round 1 twice in a row now.

Here’s an idea for the NFL’s 32nd ranked defense….. Draft some damn defenders!

How about NOT pressuring the offense to score a TD on every drive because the Jets are giving up 30+ points per game?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Is there one in the draft?  Garrett Wilson maybe?  Jameson Williams if he can fully recover?  Anyone else?

Nobody knows for sure if there's an easy answer...that so and so...is definitely a #1.  Simply put...ZW deserves the best WR on JD's board.  

Is it Jameson Williams?   If yes then go for it.  If it's none in round one JD sees as a #1...then he won't take one there. 

I'm looking at it from a historical perspective.  Too often Jets young drafted QBs have had to do without something resembling a high volume go-to type of receiver.  Sanchez after his 2nd year when Santonio Holmes got hurt, and Braylon Edwards went elsewhere.  No significant receiver was added.  Geno Smith,  Darnold...and now ZW...never had a legit #1.  Corey Davis wet the bed last year.  A WR is needed in front of him.  IMO having one...is a sound recipe for developing a young QB...especially if they're struggling...and threw only 9 TDs like ZW did.  With the CAP and draft capital available...it should be doable...and a priority. 

If Jets don't get ZW up to speed and develop him into a FQB...none of these other moves are going to get Jets to multiple playoff appearances.  An AFCE title.  Never a Lombardi Trophy.  You can't successfully go through the gauntlet of QBs like Allen in AFCE, Mahomes, Rus Wilson, Watson, Herbert, Burrow. Lamarr Jackson.  And now Carr + Devante Adams joins this bunch.   

If Jets want to compete against these QB driven teams...then a FQB needs to be developed to do so.  Or else pay a high ransom and get one.  JD chooses to draft and develop one.   So ZW should be his top priority in this draft.  JD's best wideout on his board should be taken...whoever that may be.  

History shows Jets haven't drafted a WR in round 1...I believe...since Keyshawn Johnson in 1996.  Is the reason because there wasn't a legit #1 available each year?  Never the right circumstance to draft one there?   

After Namath...Jets have a graveyard of failures at the QB position.  IMO ZW is the most talented QB Jets have drafted since Joe Namath.  It would be a travesty to have him join that list of fails.  

Again...ZW only threw 9 TDs...he needs help at the WR position.  A high volume receiver that he can depend on.  It's up to JD to get ZW whatever he needs to get up to throwing 20+ TDs speed...this year. 

I don't care how JD does it...just do it...por favor!

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

The jets will have their receiver choice at 10, and will take one.

Is that going solve the issue? No Calvin Ridley, so here's a rookie WR, Zach... Is that what your tribe of "draft a WR at #10" expect to happen?... 

We need to draft a WR, no doubt - but Joe's willingness/desire to go after Ridley or Williams suggests he wanted something more than a dice roll and wanted immediate returns... If we don't have a choice, so be it -- but i still think there's a trade/something in the works.

• Upvote 2

The NYJ added two reliable, veteran pass catching TEs and brought back Berrios so that they have their core of 3 starting WRs in place with Davis and Moore. I don't nec. see Douglas drafting 2 WRs. One, sure, probably not early. Hard to tell because most of our selections are early any way you slice it. We have x4 selections in the first 2 rounds. But I don't think JD or the Jets coaches feel like they are in dire straits with their WRs. For better or worse. I guess we will see. 

I'm guessing they plan to carry 5. They plan to draft a 2nd tier prospect OUTSIDE of Rd. 1. And Mims, Smith, Montgomery, Black, Adams, etc. will all get an opportunity to fight for a depth spot in a group of Davis, Moore, Berrios and the newly added Rookie. Someone like Watson, who's big, strong and athletic and can be a true deep threat would be a nice addition but there's lots and lots of complimentary guys they can go with at different points in the draft.      

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

4 minutes ago, PepPep said:

The NYJ added two reliable, veteran pass catching TEs and brought back Berrios so that they have their core of 3 starting WRs in place with Davis and Moore. I don't nec. see Douglas drafting 2 WRs. One, sure, probably not early. Hard to tell because most of our selections are early any way you slice it. We have x4 selections in the first 2 rounds. But I don't think JD or the Jets coaches feel like they are in dire straits with their WRs. For better or worse. I guess we will see. 

I'm guessing they plan to carry 5. They plan to draft a 2nd tier prospect OUTSIDE of Rd. 1. And Mims, Smith, Montgomery, Black, Adams, etc. will all get an opportunity to fight for a depth spot in a group of Davis, Moore, Berrios and the newly added Rookie. Someone like Watson, who's big, strong and athletic and can be a true deep threat would be a nice addition but there's lots and lots of complimentary guys they can go with at different points in the draft.      

Since when is berrios a starting caliber wr? 

• Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

I just posted this in cimini buzz thread..

I think we’re going to get DK Metcalf, I just wanted to put that out there in the heavens. I think the longer Seattle goes without an established qb the more inclined DK is going to want to get out of there, Seattle might also come to the conclusion that if he puts up a monster year (although doubtful with a rookie or bottom shelf FA) they might have to give him close to 30 mil per. 

i think the blockbuster is going to be something like JD giving back Seattle 10 and Mims, Davis?  AND Giving DK something like 90-100 guaranteed for 4.  DK doesn’t have to worry about putting up big numbers with a rookie or a slouch going into FA and Seattle gets to draft his replacement or a QB..I feel like Nostradamus right now.. but I don’t know why I didn’t see St.Peters?

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Is that going solve the issue? No Calvin Ridley, so here's a rookie WR, Zach... Is that what your tribe of "draft a WR at #10" expect to happen?... 

We need to draft a WR, no doubt - but Joe's willingness/desire to go after Ridley or Williams suggests he wanted something more than a dice roll and wanted immediate returns... If we don't have a choice, so be it -- but i still think there's a trade/something in the works.

who is out there outside of the seattle receivers MAYBE

Just now, k-met57 said:

who is out there outside of the seattle receivers MAYBE

Well i've littered half the board with my thoughts on that topic; I've heard tale of Joe's affinity for Jerry Jeudy, that name has floated around. They currently have Sutton and Patrick on extensions and if believe Russ Wilson is a franchise WR, he doesn't need an army of WRs - they need draft capital. So Jeudy, Aiyuk was 10x better under Lafleur in SF, so maybe he's an option for a team that self-fleeced for Trey Lance, and dark horse Hollywood Brown. He looks to be done with BAL. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

That DK hasn't been traded yet is probably because no one is offering a noteworthy deal for him, and teams are waiting for the price to drop. Trade back with the 10 and use that later first round pick if you need to.  He's a young monster that would open up the Jets offense in many ways.

The problem with you Red Zone jockeys and fantasy league geeks is that you don't watch the games, only highlight reels and stats. DK makes just as many boneheaded plays to hurt his team as he does fabulous plays to help his team. That's why nobody hasn't traded for him yet. That's certain not the type of player the Jets need because they can do bad all by themselves.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, ncjetman said:

crowder blocks moore in the slot plus berrios is slot guy too - think crowder is gone - need a number one wr for outside and deep plus moore plus davis etc

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

I was hoping we’d be more aggressive for a wide receiver in free agency or trade for one….but with what’s left available we don’t have many options left.

• Sympathy 1

34 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

Since when is berrios a starting caliber wr? 

Since now lol. Since the Jets signed him to a starting caliber WR contract.

All of last year he showed he can stay healthy, be productive, develop chemistry with Zach and add value on special teams as a returner. This is what makes him a starting WR in the NFL. I mean, I don't know what your cut-off or pre-requisite is. For the Jets he will be a #3 receiver. Most of the targets will still go to Moore and Davis, and the Jets will be using their TEs a lot more, but he will definitely have his role, and his spot on the roster is pretty much secure.    

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2