Will WR Be This Year's Blindspot?

23 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Well, you just never know what players will be available when roster cuts happen.  So, there's always that option and of course we'll take at least one WR in the draft.  

There are excellent receivers in every draft. Pick the right ones.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

33 minutes ago, STLuLu said:

The problem with you Red Zone jockeys and fantasy league geeks is that you don't watch the games, only highlight reels and stats. DK makes just as many boneheaded plays to hurt his team as he does fabulous plays to help his team. That's why nobody hasn't traded for him yet. That's certain not the type of player the Jets need because they can do bad all by themselves.

Well, I don't watch Redzone or highlight shows so there's that. I don't see many Seattle games granted. I do know he's a physical freak that makes a lot of plays. With regard to bonehead plays he must make a hell of a lot I guess.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

Lots of talented WR came and went over the last week and Douglas didn't reach for any.  There are some possibilities left but will Douglas find one who will make a difference?  It's hard to say but I believe he will find a tier 2 guy and use two high picks on improving this unit.  

• I don't have a problem with Joe not handing out stupid money for the likes of Amari Cooper and Christian Kirk.  They would have been roster killers in short order, On the other hand, I would have given Juju a similar deal that he got from the Chiefs.
  • I was hoping Joe would make a move for Cedric Wilson.  He's a reliable WR3 and would have helped Zach.
  • DK Metcalf is a pipe dream.
  • The remaining hope is that Douglas can find a second AND third round stud like Michael Thomas, the aforementioned DK Metcalf, Cooper Cupp, Davante Adams, Tyler Lockett, Chris Godwin, and the list goes on and on.  We fans always focus on the top of the pundits list guys and think they are the only ones who will succeed.  It's nonsense.  Douglas's plan is to build through the draft and you only get so many first round picks.  For him/us to succeed, he has to find guys on days two and three.
  • Taking Garrett Wilson and Christian Watson, for example, could form a great nucleus of receivers to go along with what we have.

We will probably here in the new week or so he resigns Kole if the guy we had who already knows the O, has worked with Wilson, and if he is not much different than most of the FAs leftover. Then like you said 1st and another round will be WR.

1 hour ago, STLuLu said:

The problem with you Red Zone jockeys and fantasy league geeks is that you don't watch the games, only highlight reels and stats. DK makes just as many boneheaded plays to hurt his team as he does fabulous plays to help his team. That's why nobody hasn't traded for him yet. That's certain not the type of player the Jets need because they can do bad all by themselves.

Agreed, we need WRs with steady hands and not ones that are huge and explosive, but drop balls at critical times.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Well, I don't watch Redzone or highlight shows so there's that. I don't see many Seattle games granted. I do know he's a physical freak that makes a lot of plays. With regard to bonehead plays he must make a hell of a lot I guess.

I don't as well...what I do like to do is look a players stats...take a look at DK's stats and us Jet fans only wish we had a WR of late that has put up those kinds of stats...the kid is well on his way if he stays healthy to have himself a HOF type career...I would take him in a minute over some prospect in the draft.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

Since now lol. Since the Jets signed him to a starting caliber WR contract.

All of last year he showed he can stay healthy, be productive, develop chemistry with Zach and add value on special teams as a returner. This is what makes him a starting WR in the NFL. I mean, I don't know what your cut-off or pre-requisite is. For the Jets he will be a #3 receiver. Most of the targets will still go to Moore and Davis, and the Jets will be using their TEs a lot more, but he will definitely have his role, and his spot on the roster is pretty much secure.    

I'm saying if berrios is one of our top wrs we are going to struggle to score points. 

13 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

I'm saying if berrios is one of our top wrs we are going to struggle to score points. 

But he's not. And he won't be. Its Davis, Moore- then Berrios. He was only thrust into that role last year due to injuries. And sometimes that just happens. 

It would really help if JD hit on a WR at some point in the draft tho. Mims was supposed to be that guy but has been a disappointment so far. If he turns things around AND JD hits on a receiver at some point in this draft we suddenly have a talented, deep receiving room. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

The Jets have drafted WR in Round 2 twice in a row now. They gave out their second biggest FA contract to a WR last year. They just signed two pass-catchers at TE this year and re-signed their WR3.

And, they’ve drafted OL in Round 1 twice in a row now.

Here’s an idea for the NFL’s 32nd ranked defense….. Draft some damn defenders!

How about NOT pressuring the offense to score a TD on every drive because the Jets are giving up 30+ points per game?

Having a top offense might have more of an impact on a defensive ranking than an individual player himself.  Don’t make me bore you with the stats.  It was something like this — top ten offenses had on average close to a 70th percentile defense across the past 5 years.  In the age of the salary cap where you might expect the defensive rank to be below 50th percentile given the investment in the offense.  

A top offense has control over the game that a defense doesn’t have and gives the defense a time to rest and make the opposing offense play riskier.

I built and sold an Amazon business to a private equity company based on using data to develop competitive advantages.  You start at the strategic level and not the individual player level.  

There is a reason that teams are trading away picks for offense and much less for defense.  First, get your franchise QB.  Then protect him, then give him weapons.  7 of 8 tags on offensive players, The WR market exploding and trades for Franchise QBs and some here want to draft a safety.  Hell No!!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

I think the only wr they’d take in the first round is wilson.  If he’s not there at 10 they will try to trade out of the spot. 

I’ve been pounding the table for Jameson Williams since before the injury.  He is the best receiver in this class bar none.  His upside is a true game breaking #1 receiver.  I still take him at #10 even with the injury.  I understand it’s not ideal for Zach’s development, but the Jets aren’t competing for a Super Bowl this year no matter who we draft.  Adding a healthy Jameson Williams once he is healed to Elijah Moor and Michael Carter has the makings of a dangerous offense when we are ready to compete in 2023

6 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

The Jets have drafted WR in Round 2 twice in a row now. They gave out their second biggest FA contract to a WR last year. They just signed two pass-catchers at TE this year and re-signed their WR3.

How about NOT pressuring the offense to score a TD on every drive because the Jets are giving up 30+ points per game?

Heres an idea, we were 4-13 with holes everywhere - if JD wants a WR in the first, great.  If he wants defense, great.

In this case beggers can be choosy.

3 hours ago, WhartonJet said:

I’ve been pounding the table for Jameson Williams since before the injury.  He is the best receiver in this class bar none.  His upside is a true game breaking #1 receiver.  I still take him at #10 even with the injury.  I understand it’s not ideal for Zach’s development, but the Jets aren’t competing for a Super Bowl this year no matter who we draft.  Adding a healthy Jameson Williams once he is healed to Elijah Moor and Michael Carter has the makings of a dangerous offense when we are ready to compete in 2023

I am starting to think that might be the darkhorse pick. With the 2 TE pickups I could see it as an option.

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

I am starting to think that might be the darkhorse pick. With the 2 TE pickups I could see it as an option.

I've been doing more of my mocks with Jameson Williams as my pick.  I noticed most of times he's been gone by pick 13.  He's there for the taking at 10 for sure.  I just did a mock and took him at 12.  

I hope JD takes him.  He's done risk picks before...like Bryce Hall.   Williams may only play some in 2nd half of 2022.  But in 2023...he'll be a big time weapon for the playoffs for sure.

• Sympathy 1

15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I predict that the Jets will draft a punter before they draft a receiver this year. 

Fixed to reach the lowest. We are giving zero credit to the stabilization of this team. Pretty crazy don't you think?

14 hours ago, Paradis said:

Well i've littered half the board with my thoughts on that topic; I've heard tale of Joe's affinity for Jerry Jeudy, that name has floated around. They currently have Sutton and Patrick on extensions and if believe Russ Wilson is a franchise WR, he doesn't need an army of WRs - they need draft capital. So Jeudy, Aiyuk was 10x better under Lafleur in SF, so maybe he's an option for a team that self-fleeced for Trey Lance, and dark horse Hollywood Brown. He looks to be done with BAL. 

yeah that makes no sense. Denver isnt trading a receiver after bringing in a QB finally, and neither is SF with a rookie QB who needs all the help he can get. I dont think the league is very high on Brown...and i don't see how he helps us enough to trade for.

30 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

yeah that makes no sense. Denver isnt trading a receiver after bringing in a QB finally, and neither is SF with a rookie QB who needs all the help he can get. I dont think the league is very high on Brown...and i don't see how he helps us enough to trade for.

If you watch the Ravens, he drops like 3 passes a game. We already have someone like that.. No thanks.

10 hours ago, WhartonJet said:

This is the quintessential risk vs. reward pick.

Williams is a game breaker and if not for the injury...would have been in the conversation with our 4th pick as I doubt he would have been available at 10.

Apparently Williams is ahead of schedule with his rehab but I just can't JD rolling the dice at 10 for someone who may not be ready until mid/late 2022 or even 2023. Douglas needs to nail this draft and show some results this season and he knows it.

Now if we trade out of 10 and back a little in the first, grab an additional 2nd rounder...I can see him taking a swing on him.

16 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

League average would be at 22ppg.

Only two teams scored above 30ppg.

The top 10 offenses all scored over 26.5ppg.

The Jets were at 18ppg, and were the 28th ranked O. Those numbers are also inflated by the two highest scoring games of 2021 being started by QBs no longer on this team.

I fully appreciate the idea of complimentary football. I agree that the best way to win games is to support the offense by fielding a strong defense. However, complimentary football can only be achieved if all facets are playing well.

In our case, the O flat out sucks. If we were around 23ppg and it was clear that the O was good enough but the D was holding us back, I’d agree with you. Unfortunately that’s not the case. And, we’ve already sunken heavy resource into a QB on a rookie deal. We have 2 more years to find out if he’ll be worthy of an extension, play on a lame-duck contract, or need to be discarded.

I’m ok with an Edge in Round 1, but the other 3 premium picks this year should go O. I know they won’t, but they should.

EDC8634C-4114-4DDE-BEDF-BD0450BFC44B.thumb.jpeg.e27ec4a2a6f7086cce5e74b3c2424cd3.jpeg

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

JD: hey we are interested in Metcalf, what will it take?
schneider:  we want all our picks back from the Adams trade you pancake eating bitch. 
JD: click

bottom line:  I have a hard time believing Seattle will trade with us any time soon   They’ve been publicly eating the ass of that Adams trade for two years now  

That trade was the death knell. They will never forgive us. Cleveland is about to learn the same with the Watson trade. Maybe not in 2022, but by 2024 to be sure that franchise will be a dumpster fire.

Edited by Dunnie
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, k-met57 said:

It makes as about as much sense as GB trading their #1 or DAL.... contracts and other options, friend. Both teams given away lots of draft capital and Aiyuk didn't stuff the sheet last year. You're over simplifying -- but lets forget about that -- if WR is such a HUGE need, you think #10 is gonna fix that? Either you believe more in Moore/Davis/Berrios or you think we "need all the help we can get" and thats more than just throwing a rookie WR out there and saying "here you go"... and if you believe in the Moore/Davis/Berrios - then you don't NEED one at 10. 

58 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

League average would be at 22ppg.

Only two teams scored above 30ppg.

The top 10 offenses all scored over 26.5ppg.

The Jets were at 18ppg, and were the 28th ranked O. Those numbers are also inflated by the two highest scoring games of 2021 being started by QBs no longer on this team.

I fully appreciate the idea of complimentary football. I agree that the best way to win games is to support the offense by fielding a strong defense. However, complimentary football can only be achieved if all facets are playing well.

In our case, the O flat out sucks. If we were around 23ppg and it was clear that the O was good enough but the D was holding us back, I’d agree with you. Unfortunately that’s not the case. And, we’ve already sunken heavy resource into a QB on a rookie deal. We have 2 more years to find out if he’ll be worthy of an extension, play on a lame-duck contract, or need to be discarded.

I’m ok with an Edge in Round 1, but the other 3 premium picks this year should go O. I know they won’t, but they should.

EDC8634C-4114-4DDE-BEDF-BD0450BFC44B.thumb.jpeg.e27ec4a2a6f7086cce5e74b3c2424cd3.jpeg

I wonder if having a defensive minded head coach is shading the decisions. 

“yeah , ground and pound, eat clock, and PLAY DEFENSE”.  It seems like every defensive minded head coach likes less possessions per game and killing time lol.  

We have Davis, Moore, Berrios and rookie Wlison/Burkes as our top 4 receivers.  We have 2 good pass catches at tight end w/ Uzomah and Conky.  We have Michael Carter to catch passes out of the backfield.

This is not a blindspot.  I love our pass catching options this year.  Will be a strength of our team.

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We have Davis, Moore, Berrios and rookie Wlison/Burkes as our top 4 receivers.  We have 2 good pass catches at tight end w/ Uzomah and Conky.  We have Michael Carter to catch passes out of the backfield.

This is not a blindspot.  I love our pass catching options this year.  Will be a strength of our team.

I remember when everyone said this before last season.  And the WRs were a big weakness last season.  

I don't like the way the WR spot has played out:

- Amari Cooper: could Douglas have re-worked his contract?

- Robert Woods: just like Cooper, could Douglas have re-worked his contract?

- Cordarrelle Patterson: did Douglas make an offer?  He would've brought
versatility at RB, WR and special teams

I'm hoping the Senior Bowl exposure has put someone on LaFleur's radar that
he loves because right now I'm not happy

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We don’t have that rookie wr until we do.  And there’s no guarantee the jets get a wr in the first round.  

23 minutes ago, KRL said:

I don't like the way the WR spot has played out:

- Amari Cooper: could Douglas have re-worked his contract?

- Robert Woods: just like Cooper, could Douglas have re-worked his contract?

- Cordarrelle Patterson: did Douglas make an offer?  He would've brought
versatility at RB, WR and special teams

I'm hoping the Senior Bowl exposure has put someone on LaFleur's radar that
he loves because right now I'm not happy

JD just finally cleared all the dead money off of his cap, I doubt he wanted to convert Amari Cooper’s $20M salary this year into a signing bonus. And Cooper, already overpaid, would probably want some new money in exchange for the favor. 

Woods didn’t want to play here, and the Rams facilitated a deal to his liking because they like and respect him even if they don’t need him anymore. 

Patterson is 31. 

The last point is a good one, though. The Senior Bowl is where the 49ers fell for Deebo Samuel. They could very possibly believe they have a line on an under the radar guy. If they don’t draft a WR in the first round, that’s what I’ll be hoping for. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Draft questionable QB, give him half assplaymakers… watch him fail, fire regime, wash rinse repeat.

It takes one season to revamp a defense into a top 15 D. It could take a lifetime to find a QB that can consistently put up30 points. It’s so senseless to draft a guy like Wilson and then hand him castoffs lie Davis and a potentially decent # 2 in E Moore and a couple mid level TE‘s. God forbid we make any attempt to give our QB some elite talent to work with. Nah, Corey ******* Davis and now Uzomah.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

He’s right you know