Take Jameson Williams at 10

Doggin94it

The more I think about it, the more convinced I am this has to be the move (assuming your medical staff is confident in his prognosis). Every WR in this draft comes with real questions, so why not take the one with the most upside? Of course, Zack needs help now, not in a year, so if you're going to do this you need to double dip with a wide receiver at the top of the second too. But a Williams-Pickens combo doesn't sound like a bad idea, especially now that tight end isn't a black hole of need that has to be filled at the top of round 2

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

54 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

The more I think about it, the more convinced I am this has to be the move (assuming your medical staff is confident in his prognosis). Every WR in this draft comes with real questions, so why not take the one with the most upside? Of course, Zack needs help now, not in a year, so if you're going to do this you need to double dip with a wide receiver at the top of the second too. But a Williams-Pickens combo doesn't sound like a bad idea, especially now that tight end isn't a black hole of need that has to be filled at the top of round 2

I would certainly be OK with it. We need a pipeline of WRs, We still do not have a viable 11 personnel grouping.

7 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

It does 

I would definitely be on board with this as he is the best WR in this draft pre-injury.

I just don't know if Douglas pulls the trigger on this knowing how crucial this draft is for his job security. 

Now, if we can trade down from 4 or 10 that additional pick(s) will offer some safety to roll the dice on him.

Jameson in the first seems like something either a playoff team can afford or a freshly rebuilding team taking a lottery ticket can handle (similar to stingley honestly), but for the Jets I think that's super risky to take a guy not able to play a full season, missing training camp, and who's whole game is based on acceleration and speed having a knee injury. Even while healthy, he isn't a slam dunk scheme fit as someone like Garrett Wilson, although he does have 1st round talent.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Are we getting them in the second round? Then maybe it’s a good idea. 

But taking Jameson who has never beaten press in his life and is only available for half the year at 10 is a waste. Then you take Pickens who has character and injury issues in the second round. In that scenario, we’ve taken the opportunity to generally improve the team in multiple places and overloaded it with premium assets and limited play time. 

Fans need to look beyond the big names in the premium picks and wish for a late hit that solidifies depth. 

Pickens has tiny hands, too.

Shy of Sauce-DL I have no clue what the Jets are doing in the first round, so maybe it's a WR, but I think a WR they draft this year is playing roughly half the snaps - unless he beats out Davis, which is certainly on the table - instead of a nearly every snap guy that folks seem to think we need. If that's the case I imagine Douglas hopes he can find some magic in the second round.

"We loved coaching Christian at the Senior Bowl, he fits what we want our wide receivers to be able to do in terms of movement skills but also in the run game..."

Whether or not that's what they should do is a different question, but it strikes me as very on brand. Fits across from Moore, fits the scheme, run blocks, developmental instead of day one starter, "speed creates pressure, pressure bursts pipes", and athletic. All the talk about WR at 10 - Williams and London haven't tested so maybe they're loopholes but Wilson isn't an impressive size adjusted athlete and that's all they've drafted in the first three rounds so far. 

I've been really averse to taking him due to the injury and our issues with injury lately. But now I'm thinking - what if we took Wilson at 4 and Williams at 10? Wilson could contribute immediately and Williams later. Long term a receiving corps of Moore/Wilson/Williams could be ridiculous.

The Edge class is deep enough to plan on some good ones being available early 2nd. 

I doubt this is the direction Douglas goes given the way he went in FA, but I think it could create a dominant home grown WR group.

No

I hope to god that Douglas has something up his sleeve trade wise for a receiver.

Even if the Seahawks don’t want to part ways with Metcalf, then dangle a pick for Tyler Lockett or something.

I hate this sh*t relying on a rookie WR (much less one who just tore his ACL a couple of months ago) to play a major roll in the offense when the Top 3 wideouts currently on the roster all finished the season on IR.

I love pretty much everything Douglas has done this offseason besides the situation at wideout.

• Sympathy 1

The 2 most important positions that desperately need upgrades are CB and edge.  And there are numerous very good players available for the Jets  in round 1 to get one of each.  WR can wait until round 2.  Unfortunately, Hutch and Thibs will be gone by pick 4. JD then must go with BPA at 4 and take…..Sauce CB. He is the best CB in the draft and is perfect for Saleh and compliments the secondary. Which, by the way, was atrocious last year. People are clamoring for edge but with the top 2 edges off the board, Sauce is the move.  At 10, JD can afford to trade back and pick up an extra 2nd rounder which would be sweet since it’s a very deep draft.  With the trade back AGAIN take BPA in LB Dean or Lloyd. We suck at LB as well. Where’s the edge? No need to rush it. We are getting Lawson back which is huge. So Then in round 2 - you still have some very good edges there for the taking in Sam Williams or Boye Mayfe.  This draft will be a slam dunk for JD. 

On 3/21/2022 at 12:56 AM, Doggin94it said:

That's the only way I'd be on board with it. Wouldn't necessarily have to be Pickens either.

My question is:  could Wllliams be had at the top of round 2? Go with London or Wilson at 10.

On 3/21/2022 at 12:56 AM, Doggin94it said:

On the Daniel Jeremiah podcast they said Jameson Williams has the speed of Tyreek Hill but not the elite ability to change direction that Hill has.  Fwiw, they said he's definitely going in the 1st round. They were talking about the Chiefs potentially trading up to get him (with pick #50 and their 1st rounder) so I think they're thinking probably mid-1st.  They said that even though he'll miss some time at the start of the year, he's a long-term investment.

I don't see why the same arguments couldn't be applied to us taking him at #10.  I'm not saying I necessarily want that (I'll trust JD's judgment) but I don't think it's out of the question that it'll happen.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

On the Daniel Jeremiah podcast they said Jameson Williams has the speed of Tyreek Hill but not the elite ability to change direction that Hill has.  Fwiw, they said he's definitely going in the 1st round. They were talking about the Chiefs potentially trading up to get him (with pick #50 and their 1st rounder) so I think they're thinking probably mid-1st.  They said that even though he'll miss some time at the start of the year, he's a long-term investment.

I don't see why the same arguments couldn't be applied to us taking him at #10.  I'm not saying I necessarily want that (I'll trust JD's judgment) but I don't think it's out of the question that it'll happen.

Since Douglas' approach has been methodical and "the long game" if he sees Williams as a great fit long term you pull the trigger on him.

But Douglas' seat will be pretty hot if we are terrible again this year so he needs some on the field results this year. Quite the conundrum....

I'd say if possible trade back from 10 and take Williams wherever you trade down to in the first.

29 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Since Douglas' approach has been methodical and "the long game" if he sees Williams as a great fit long term you pull the trigger on him.

But Douglas' seat will be pretty hot if we are terrible again this year so he needs some on the field results this year. Quite the conundrum....

I'd say if possible trade back from 10 and take Williams wherever you trade down to in the first.

The downside to that is that if he missed the first 6-8 games and we start 0-4 again, the pitchforks might start to come out with the fans after JD.  Otoh, if JW comes back and both he and ZW play well, I think fans will be encouraged for the future.  It sucks that this year is going to be somewhat of a "have patience" year but I don't think we have a choice.  I do expect that we'll be a much better team this year than in previous years but I still don't know how many games we're winning.  At the very least we need to be competitive, including against good teams.

• Upvote 1

On 3/21/2022 at 9:27 PM, Paradis said:

God... I wouldn't take #10 if he was healthy. Blown knee? 

ugh. I would be done with the jets. 

Athletes come back from injuries. It’s a good idea to consider — his acceleration is top notch. Question I have had for everyone is where does a healthy Jameson go in this draft? 

• Sympathy 1

On 3/25/2022 at 12:04 AM, Vader said:

Athletes come back from injuries. It’s a good idea to consider — his acceleration is top notch.  Question I have had for everyone is where does a healthy Jameson go in this draft?  

I wonder about this as well.

On 3/23/2022 at 3:19 AM, Maynard13 said:

The 2 most important positions that desperately need upgrades are CB and edge.

I strongly disagree CB is a need. At this point with the development of Hall, Echols, MC2 and Guidry, along with signing of DJ Reed...how is CB a need? 

• Upvote 1

Just now, YankeeJet22 said:

I strongly disagree CB is a need. At this point with the development of Hall, Echols, MC2 and Guidry, along with signing of DJ Reed...how is CB a need? 

Because

1 Guidry was used and abused last year

2 Echols is good but he’s not a starting cb. He’s an excellent depth piece.

3 Mc2 is a slot cb- we need a #1 cb which would allow Hall to take on WR2. 

4 Sauce is there for the taking. I’d pull the trigger. He’s the BPA at 4 and would be our #1 cb for years to come. unless Thibs or Hutch were there which either won’t be. 

5 Reed does seem to scramble the idea of taking Sauce. But there are other cb’s in play in round 2 that would be nice to get. Our secondary was abominable. So far JD signed Joyner, Whitehead, Reed. Nice! 3 new guys which are all veterans. Yet getting a stud rookie to prep like McCreay, Gordon, McDuffie etc would be a smart idea. 

37 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Because

1 Guidry was used and abused last year

2 Echols is good but he’s not a starting cb. He’s an excellent depth piece.

3 Mc2 is a slot cb- we need a #1 cb which would allow Hall to take on WR2. 

4 Sauce is there for the taking. I’d pull the trigger. He’s the BPA at 4 and would be our #1 cb for years to come. unless Thibs or Hutch were there which either won’t be. 

5 Reed does seem to scramble the idea of taking Sauce. But there are other cb’s in play in round 2 that would be nice to get. Our secondary was abominable. So far JD signed Joyner, Whitehead, Reed. Nice! 3 new guys which are all veterans. Yet getting a stud rookie to prep like McCreay, Gordon, McDuffie etc would be a smart idea. 

Without a passrush EVERY secondary in the NFL gets abused. I feel you are undrerrating the collection of CBs we have. Especially Echols. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, YankeeJet22 said:

Without a passrush EVERY secondary in the NFL gets abused. I feel you are undrerrating the collection of CBs we have. Especially Echols. 

We have Lawson coming back. JFM will move inside where he is better suited. JD WILL draft another edge. JD signed Martin. The DL will be much improved. Echols is NO Sauce. Not even close. 

1 hour ago, YankeeJet22 said:

It’s also not good roster mgmt. Reed and Hall are outside boundary CBS. Neither one of them are kicking inside, and although Reed could due to his measurables, Hall likely could not. Sauce definitely could not and drafting a slot CB in the first is just a no-go. If Sauce starts, one of these guys has to kick inside, again very inefficient. I would put money on JD drafting DL, OL, or WR.

• Upvote 2

On 3/21/2022 at 1:28 PM, Untouchable said:

No

I hope to god that Douglas has something up his sleeve trade wise for a receiver.

Even if the Seahawks don’t want to part ways with Metcalf, then dangle a pick for Tyler Lockett or something.

I hate this sh*t relying on a rookie WR (much less one who just tore his ACL a couple of months ago) to play a major roll in the offense when the Top 3 wideouts currently on the roster all finished the season on IR.

I love pretty much everything Douglas has done this offseason besides the situation at wideout.

I agree. I have wanted the Jets to take a WR 1 in round one for 15 years. And this year I unfortunately don’t see that guy.

I’d rather just take two pass rushers in the first. Load up!

I just don’t see JD going from trying to provide an established WR to help Zach immediately to then not only going rookie but one that won’t even play this year. 

It’s a shame because J.Williams really is the best WR in this draft. I feel like Eagles might bite on him or Bills if he falls.  

31 minutes ago, Be_a_Jet said:

I just don’t see JD going from trying to provide an established WR to help Zach immediately to then not only going rookie but one that won’t even play this year. 

It’s a shame because J.Williams really is the best WR in this draft. I feel like Eagles might bite on him or Bills if he falls.  

JD prob doesn’t have tunnel vision. Striking out on one strategy doesn’t mean a different strategy wont emerge. In fact it makes a new strategy more likely. 

1 minute ago, Vader said:

JD prob doesn’t have tunnel vision. Striking out on one strategy doesn’t mean a different strategy wont emerge. In fact it makes a new strategy more likely. 

During the presser today he talked about how they pivoted to tight ends because of the WR market. I don’t think he’s going to add for the sake of adding. Goals are going to be more macro - “support Wilson” “improve the defense” and there will be more nuanced ways they think they can accomplish that within the scheme. Long as he and the coaching staff are on the same page should be in good shape.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Vader said:

True but even if strategy changes the philosophy of helping Zach now doesn’t. which brings us back to Jameson Williams doesn’t help Zach this season - this critical season. 

Maybe they draft him but I’m just tryin to read the tea leaves here 

40 minutes ago, Be_a_Jet said:

True but even if strategy changes the philosophy of helping Zach now doesn’t. which brings us back to Jameson Williams doesn’t help Zach this season - this critical season. 

Maybe they draft him but I’m just tryin to read the tea leaves here 

It does help him this season. JW won’t miss the whole year.