Jump to content

My concerns with the #4 and #10 draft pick


Alka
 Share

Recommended Posts

I believe the Jets biggest need going into the draft, now that the first wave of free agency is over, remains wide receiver.  Edge is also a significant need, but Hutchinson will surely be gone by #4, and concerns about the type of player Thibs is and if he fits into the culture of the Jets might prevent the Jets from drafting him as high as the #4 pick.  Namely, does Thibs love football?  Is he a "all gas and no brake" guy?  

I have seen many simulated mock drafts that have the wide receiver, Garrett Wilson, be taken before the #10 pick.  If he is the #1 wide receiver on the Jets board, then why not pick him at the #4 spot?  Edge guys will still be there at #10, and I'm not sure after Hutchinson if we can't get a good one with the #10 pick.

Drake London has different skill sets than Garrett Wilson, and if seems the way I look at things that he will be available at #10.  How do the Jets feel about him?

If we are to move ahead with Becton, and I hope that we do, then it just doesn't make sense to me to draft Ekwonu, unless the Jets have given up on Becton.  Fant just got a 3 year extension, and he played very well at left tackle, enough so that Saleh said it was an open competition with Becton.  If Fant wins that competition, then the obvious choice is to insert Becton at right tackle.  We do need a depth tackle, and the Jets can certainly get a good one in the second round.

Picking Garrett Wilson at #4 may seem to be a stretch for a lot of fans, but we need a #1 wide receiver, and if the Jets have him as their #1 guy, than in my view, he must be the pick at #4.  To load up on tight end, and to not have a #1 wide receiver going into next season is just unforgivable to me, and I hope we don't blow it when Joe Douglas has the opportunity to seal up that spot.  Zach Wilson needs another target, and the Jets need more skill players who can make plays.

  • Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Link?

OOPS!!!  I thought the Jets gave Fant a new deal.  I am wrong.  They are actively working on giving him a new deal, but it hasn't happened yet.  Sorry about that.  

If a new deal doesn't happen before the draft, then part of my argument will not be valid.  

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think WR is as big of a draft concern as many people believe it to be. Of course, I would love to add another weapon for the offense, especially with Davis/Moore's health last season. However, with the return of Berrios, we have 2 legit outside receivers as well as a slot guy. 

There is no bona fide stud receiver this class. No Chase, Waddle, Lamb or even Pitts. However, there is a a lot of 1st-2nd round depth. To me it makes more sense to snag Gardner and an edge at 4/10 and pick up a receiver at the top of round 2.

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DjHoldyHold said:

I don't think WR is as big of a draft concern as many people believe it to be. Of course, I would love to add another weapon for the offense, especially with Davis/Moore's health last season. However, with the return of Berrios, we have 2 legit outside receivers as well as a slot guy. 

There is no bona fide stud receiver this class. No Chase, Waddle, Lamb or even Pitts. However, there is a a lot of 1st-2nd round depth. To me it makes more sense to snag Gardner and an edge at 4/10 and pick up a receiver at the top of round 2.

What sucks is that Berrios is a #3 or #4 wide receiver and Davis and Moore are #2 wide receivers.

If the Jets wait until the second round, then certainly we will be going into this next season again without a #1 wide receiver.  That is just unacceptable to me. Are either of the top 2 or 3 wide receivers in this draft projected as a #1 receiver.  If they are, they will not be there in round #2.  

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Alka said:

OOPS!!!  I thought the Jets gave Fant a new deal.  I am wrong.  They are actively working on giving him a new deal, but it hasn't happened yet.  Sorry about that.  

If a new deal doesn't happen before the draft, then part of my argument will not be valid.  

The time to extend George Fant was before free agency, to free up cap for spending. Ditto McGovern. The writing is on the wall with these two: they are not in the team's long term plans 

 

As for wr its going to be drake london, regardless of our preferences. He just fits this system too perfectly. So get used to the idea 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think there are any receivers who are worth picking at 10 since they are far from can't miss #1 guys. Wilson could end up as a 1 some point in his career but right now fits a similar mold to Moore. London has elite upside and can certainly be a 1, or he could Mims it and be a waste. 

These seem like unwise gambles for a team that still needs talent elsewhere with better prospects on the board at those positions (CB, S, Edge, Tackle, Center)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The time to extend George Fant was before free agency, to free up cap for spending. Ditto McGovern. The writing is on the wall with these two: they are not in the team's long term plans 

 

As for wr its going to be drake london, regardless of our preferences. He just fits this system too perfectly. So get used to the idea 

I suspect that there if the OT that JD wants is there at 4....he is taken and we keep Fant to play out this season while the rookie learns or if Becton comes in lazy again then we extend Fant.

If that tackle is not available I think we extend Fant post-draft / pre-camp. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Travon Walker may very well go ahead of Thibs.  He has top-notch size, speed, wingspan and effort.  I think he'll be more productive as a pro than in college where he was moved all over the line on their stacked defense.  

Garrett Wilson was ranked as a top 10 prospect in this year's draft by Daniel Jeremiah, the most plugged in guy there is. His size is adequate, ran in the 4.3's and is a very good route runner.

Give me Walker and Wilson.

I see Drake London as a possession receiver and is down the list for me.

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Personally, I'm not taking any of these WR's with at top 10 pick.  Trade down? Sure.  But IMO, none of them fit the profile, except Jameson Williams.  I also think the need for WR is over exaggerated on this board.  It's a need, no doubt but it's not such a gapping hole you have to force the issue in the top 10.  This offense with adequate QB'ing (White, Flacco, Johnson), went off!  Most productive offense in the league when Zach was hurt.  I dont think the loss of Crowder and Cole hurts all the much.  Berrios is probably better than Crowder at this point in their careers and is an ascending player.  I actually like Cole as a player but replacing 25 receptions, 400 yards and 1 TD is not challenging.   

IMO the sweet spot for WR in this draft is round 2-3.  Watson, Pickens, Robinson, Pierce, Dotson, Tolbert, etc.  

Sauce at 4, Johnson at 11

 

Everybody is getting the drake london evaluation wrong. He's Mike Evans part 2.

This is what's going to happen. Like how they decided to draft Zach in January. They are already all in on London. It's a done deal, assuming he's there at 10 and JD does not trade down 

A cornerback at 4 is ludicrous when Saleh runs a zone scheme and does not really blitz much 

  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Alka said:

I believe the Jets biggest need going into the draft, now that the first wave of free agency is over, remains wide receiver.

Yes.

2 hours ago, Alka said:

Edge is also a significant need

Yes.

2 hours ago, Alka said:

Words

Sure, Wilson at #4 and an Edge at #10?  Why not.  

Whatever JD thinks is best.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, David Harris said:

Travon Walker may very well go ahead of Thibs.  He has top-notch size, speed, wingspan and effort.  I think he'll be more productive as a pro than in college where he was moved all over the line on their stacked defense.  

Garrett Wilson was ranked as a top 10 prospect in this year's draft by Daniel Jeremiah, the most plugged in guy there is. His size is adequate, ran in the 4.3's and is a very good route runner.

Give me Walker and Wilson.

I see Drake London as a possession receiver and is down the list for me.

It’s quite possible Walker and Hutchinson are taken top 3, and Wilson is gone before 10.  Then what?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Everybody is getting the drake london evaluation wrong. He's Mike Evans part 2.

This is what's going to happen. Like how they decided to draft Zach in January. They are already all in on London. It's a done deal, assuming he's there at 10 and JD does not trade down 

A cornerback at 4 is ludicrous when Saleh runs a zone scheme and does not really blitz much 

Yeah, no.  He's nowhere near Mike Evans.  Not even remotely close. 

And anytime you can get the best player in the draft, you do it.  Sauce could be that and your take is silly.  Saleh doesnt need corners?  lmfao.  Sauce can play both boundary and zone.  He's got that Richard Sherman length and fight to him.  Saleh loved him some Sherman, had him in Seattle, brought him to San Fran.  Only difference is, Sauce is a bonafide freak. 

 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

It’s quite possible Walker and Hutchinson are taken top 3, and Wilson is gone before 10.  Then what?

Getting the sense Walker will be gone before the Jets too. Hutchinson, Walker both off the board. You hope someone wants to move up for Pickett and take that deal. Or just stay at 4 and take Jermaine Johnson. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I see no way Joe D stays at 4.  He will move back een if he cant get top shelf compensation for moving back.  Whoever wants willis, come up and get him.  

If we’re bypassing OT and Hutch is gone…

I think trading back from both (but staying in the 1st round still) from 4 AND 10 would still give us plenty of good EDGE and WR options.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Everybody is getting the drake london evaluation wrong. He's Mike Evans part 2.
This is what's going to happen. Like how they decided to draft Zach in January. They are already all in on London. It's a done deal, assuming he's there at 10 and JD does not trade down 
A cornerback at 4 is ludicrous when Saleh runs a zone scheme and does not really blitz much 

thank you for posting - i miss your analysis of jets


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Alka said:

What sucks is that Berrios is a #3 or #4 wide receiver and Davis and Moore are #2 wide receivers.

If the Jets wait until the second round, then certainly we will be going into this next season again without a #1 wide receiver.  That is just unacceptable to me. Are either of the top 2 or 3 wide receivers in this draft projected as a #1 receiver.  If they are, they will not be there in round #2.  

Moore was a freakin rookie!!!!  How many people are going to pigeon hole him into a level of play based on half a season.  Look at the best WRs in the game now and they mostly broke out in years 2-3.  Just stop with this #1 and #2 crap until a player matures.  If Moore is putting up the #s Davis is after 3-4 years, yes he is not a #1.  If you factor in the normal growth and maturity with health, he will be a top flight NFL receiver in 2022 or 2023.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Everybody is getting the drake london evaluation wrong. He's Mike Evans part 2.

This is what's going to happen. Like how they decided to draft Zach in January. They are already all in on London. It's a done deal, assuming he's there at 10 and JD does not trade down 

A cornerback at 4 is ludicrous when Saleh runs a zone scheme and does not really blitz much 

Hell no lol

@maury77 actually had the perfect, spot on London comparison in the draft forum.

Michael Floyd

If that’s what you’re dreaming of with a Top 10 pick then…okay then.

Wilson is the only receiver who should even go in the Top 20 in this class, much less Top 10. I’d include Jameson Williams but the dude won’t even be able to step on the field until November most likely.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I see no way Joe D stays at 4.  He will move back een if he cant get top shelf compensation for moving back.  Whoever wants willis, come up and get him.  

I see this too. What a great year to move back as the position we need are stacked. Especially when trading the 4th pick likely gets us three First found picks. 

I'm usually very anti picking WR high - But Drake London at 10 would be special. I want to say Mike Evans but he seems more athletic than him. If there's ever a time to draft a WR for Zach its this year. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Alka said:

I believe the Jets biggest need going into the draft, now that the first wave of free agency is over, remains wide receiver.  Edge is also a significant need, but Hutchinson will surely be gone by #4, and concerns about the type of player Thibs is and if he fits into the culture of the Jets might prevent the Jets from drafting him as high as the #4 pick.  Namely, does Thibs love football?  Is he a "all gas and no brake" guy?  I mean, the clear holes are Edge, FS WR and LB. And we can't assume the Jets will find great starters or rookie studs for ALL of those positions THIS year, may take until end of 2023. Also, if they love Walker, they need to draft Walker at 4. There's no guarantee Walker is going top 3. Then again, they may love Karl. or Johnson- we really don't know for sure. This idea that suddenly Walker is a lock to go top 3 and Thibs will fall is not guaranteed AT ALL. 

I have seen many simulated mock drafts that have the wide receiver, Garrett Wilson, be taken before the #10 pick.  If he is the #1 wide receiver on the Jets board, then why not pick him at the #4 spot?  Edge guys will still be there at #10, and I'm not sure after Hutchinson if we can't get a good one with the #10 pick. If Wilson is the #1 WR on the Jets board but the 15th player, no thank you. Catch my drift? This is a weak draft for WRs. The Jets are NOT desperate for a WR, nor do they have the luxury to waste a pick on a non-elite WR. Sure, if Wilson is up there, top 5 on their board and they REALLY like him and some of their other guys are gone- by all means, take him.   

Drake London has different skill sets than Garrett Wilson, and if seems the way I look at things that he will be available at #10.  How do the Jets feel about him?

If we are to move ahead with Becton, and I hope that we do, then it just doesn't make sense to me to draft Ekwonu, unless the Jets have given up on Becton.  Fant just got a 3 year extension, and he played very well at left tackle, enough so that Saleh said it was an open competition with Becton.  If Fant wins that competition, then the obvious choice is to insert Becton at right tackle.  We do need a depth tackle, and the Jets can certainly get a good one in the second round.

Picking Garrett Wilson at #4 may seem to be a stretch for a lot of fans, but we need a #1 wide receiver, and if the Jets have him as their #1 guy, than in my view, he must be the pick at #4.  To load up on tight end, and to not have a #1 wide receiver going into next season is just unforgivable to me, and I hope we don't blow it when Joe Douglas has the opportunity to seal up that spot.  Zach Wilson needs another target, and the Jets need more skill players who can make plays. While I agree that JD needs to add a WR. At least one. This idea that the Jets NEED to get a #1 WR this year and do so by drafting one early in the draft is just inaccurate. We don't even really know if Wilson is a true #1 WR. If you think he's going to come into the NFL and just be uncoverable, you have another thing coming. Sure, he could be that guy. But IN THIS DRAFT, the Jets could probably get a guy in Rd. 2 or 3 and be just fine. If they hit on him, I'm guessing he will make a similar impact as Wilson will in the NFL.   

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, RSJ said:

The best scenario is that Seattle needs to jump to 4 to get a QB. The 9-11 picks this year are nice because you will get the same quality player as the top 5. Especially if you add two QBs to the top 8 picks.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

If the Jets do trade back with Seattle or Atlanta to 8 or 9, the return value will not be nearly as high as it typically is because the dearth of top end talent in this draft has devalued the picks at the top. Don't get me wrong Seattle or Atlanta should want to trade up to get their preferred QB, they just won't have to pay a kings ransom to do so.

Don't sleep on JD selecting Sauce at 4 and packaging Hall with a pick to move up from where the Jets are in round 4 or 3. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't see Douglas passing on Neal or Ekwonu if either or both of them are available at #4.   I think Douglas will go best OL available at #4 and best defensive player available at #10.  Hamilton, Sauce, Stingley, Lloyd, Walker, Johnson II.   No matter what we do we will get two potentially great players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...