Matt Ryan traded to Indy

Rhg1084

13 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I think it’s a good trade for them. They have a playoff quality roster and needed a veteran QB. No real downside here 

Yup. Plug and play team. Wentz crapped out, but I like this a lot for the Colts.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

What is Indy doing? Going from Wentz to Matt Ryan is a big win.

Maybe in your world.  If they were going to give Ryan the keys, they should have stuck with Wentz.  Ryan will be a train wreck for that franchise if he winds up the starter.  His glory days are over.  

And nice work overall by Indy the last few years with replacement QBs.   Luck retires, Rivers retires, Wentz gets traded, and now they bring in a fossil like Ryan, who will be gone after this season.  lol

18 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Watch mayfield end up on carolina at this point.  

No way. I can see Baker going to a team without a vet where he will be #1.  Panthers  most likely draft a QB than take another chance on another qB who has struggled throughout his career. 

27 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I think it’s a good trade for them. They have a playoff quality roster and needed a veteran QB. No real downside here 

It's not a complete disaster.   Close.  But if you're an Indy fan waking up to Ryan now as your starter, you can't be happy.   He's the future of the franchise?  That's the direction the team is taking?   In the same spot, this place would be incendiary.

26 minutes ago, Trotter said:

And JD got a 2nd for Sam. Get the age difference but you gotta give him props for the jamal and sam trades.

Who's talikg about JD?

Just now, munchmemory said:

It's not a complete disaster.   Close.  But if you're an Indy fan waking up to Ryan now as your starter, you can't be happy.   He's the future of the franchise?  That's the direction the team is taking?   In the same spot, this place would be incendiary.

Colts are a team ready to win now and Ryan is a former MVP with something still left in the tank. Unless they can talk Luck out of retirement, I don't see a better option out there.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, munchmemory said:

Who's talikg about JD?

He's probably the best option out there. They're a win now team. They should still draft a QB though. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I have to think this guy is bummed he's stuck on his rookie deal as a backup that keeps him off the FA market.  He's no All Pro but he's better than at least a handful of guys who are slotted to start, including the one on his own team most likely.

image.png

Minshew is a Jag even though he is no longer a Jag, if you know what I mean. Let's not build up this guy to be more than he is.  

Always liked Ryan.  He is definetly in decline but I think he's probably a much more steady veteran than Wenz and might be real good on and for the Colts.  Nice team for him.   

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

No way. I can see Baker going to a team without a vet where he will be #1.  Panthers  most likely draft a QB than take another chance on another qB who has struggled throughout his career. 

Tend to disagree for two reasons:  1) How many more years of tread on CMC's tires at Carolina?  They have to be thinking it's go time.  2) Tepper is a gazillionaire  in the Stevie Cohen mold - he's not going to sit around for a 3-5 year rebuild with the Panthers with a rookie QB unless he has to.  I could see them rolling the dice on Mayfield after losing out on Watson.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Besides sucking down the stretch, not coming through in the 4th quarter of games, costing the team a playoff bid, missing time for his failure to get the jab, and being hated by his teammates - again, nothing.  

People keep saying he was hated by him teammates, but no one actually can back that claim up.

He certainly blew it late last year with poor play.  No doubts there.

I'm not President of the Wentz Fanclub, I wouldn't have wanted him, even over Wilson, so I have no plan to play his defender here at JN.  Just pointing out it was pretty much 100% the Owners decision, and that Owner is a known meddler.  

We'll see if the move pays off, if Indy makes the postseason, and the 'Ders suck, we'll know it was the right call in the end.

• Upvote 1

I would guess if the Jets do make a "splash" trade now - it'd be Grady Jarrett. 

He has one year left on his deal - due a lot of money - would make sense for them to offload him now. He is 28 so not old old - but no point keeping him around for ATL's rebuild. Judging only by PFF it looks like he had a down year last year... wonder what the cost would be.

Doubt he is a Jet - but do think he'll be moved before the draft. 

59 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Harder than normal, that's for sure. 

Far more QB changes/trades than I can recall ever happening before, and with Baker Mayfield still waiting for his chair before the music stops...

Yeah, if you Rip Van Wynkled after last season woke up week 1 of this season  you would think you lost your mind! Haha 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

good move for the dolts.  matty ice isn't the reason why things didn't go so well for the falcons.  the dolts get a really good qb with 3+ years left and the falcons get nothing but a reduced cap number.  it'll be interesting to see where they go.

16 minutes ago, section314 said:

This is lunacy. Arthur Smith got to this point in his career because Vrabel dumped Marriott. If not, Arthur Smith would be calling plays got Rutgers. Maybe.

Yup.

Arthur Smith seems to be using the Eric Mangini guide to career extension.

Step 1: get rid of the only decent/veteran players you have

Step 2: opt for “familiar faces” that aren’t actual starters as interim solutions; lean into the ‘just need to find guys that fit my system’ process

Step 3: don’t add any guys that fit your system for 3 years

4 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Matt Ryan is criminally underrated. If they don’t blow a 28-3 lead, he’s a hall of famer. He may be a hall of famer anyway. Good for him for getting out of Atlanta while he had the chance

He's also getting old, and is only a year or two away from becoming a liability instead of an asset. This was a win-win for both teams: For Ryan Atlanta wasn't going to help him succeed. For the Falcons, they needed to get him out of there at some point before it was harder to get rid of him.

6 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Matt Ryan is criminally underrated. If they don’t blow a 28-3 lead, he’s a hall of famer. He may be a hall of famer anyway. Good for him for getting out of Atlanta while he had the chance

His play is slipping - but he's better than Wentz and is going to a run-first team. I think it's a good move for the Colts and they should make the playoffs.