QB carousel - Baker to Panthers? Darnold to… Seattle?

I was thinking that Geno could have a shot at the Seahawks starting job since he played well in relief when Wilson injured last year. But looks like they haven't re-signed him and as usual he shoots himself in the foot after doing something good. He had a DUI in the Seattle area in Jan so maybe a reason they haven't re-signed him. I was thinking he could maybe compete with Lock if they don't get Jimmy G, Sam, etc.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

This would be the last-ditch attempt for Darnold to go to Carrol and that tells you all you need to know about far Darnold has fallen.....

Carroll would bring back Sanchez before trying to resuscitate Darnold. I could see Pete talking to himself, “Damn I’m to old for this sheet”. 

• Haha 2

all of these teams are try to find that one guy who can lead them to the playoffs and beyond.  the thing is the football career is so short that if they don't latch on in short order they get pushed aside.  we may not see qb's like gannon or theisman anymore who play different positions and knock around or sit for a couple of seasons before finally getting onto a good team or winning the job.  it's all you got 3 seasons or you're out.  i also think the current qb salary structure works against the guys who need time to really develop.  owners aren't going to easily shell out 50 million for a guy who may be more than okay.  they want the qb to be the guy from the day they get him.

as for darnold and mayfield, the only thing they should be happy about is jackson is sort of getting burned out in baltimore.  allen is playing really well right now but that could change as his salary demands eat too much into the bills' cap.

15 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

How about Baker to the Buccaneers as Tom Brady's backup quarterback, where he can learn how to be a professional quarterback? I saw someone else say this, and thought it was spot on. 

Brady does not do mentoring! Ask Jimmy G. 
image.gif.b8ca849679b2d683e79e3cb65a2ee2a5.gif

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

How about Baker to the Buccaneers as Tom Brady's backup quarterback, where he can learn how to be a professional quarterback? I saw someone else say this, and thought it was spot on. 

The Browns are so f***ed right now in regard to moving Mayfield after backing themselves into this corner. I can’t remember a team having less leverage, and the entire league knows it.

Did you see that thing yesterday where a team told the Browns they wanted them them to include a draft pick in exchange for taking on his salary? ?

If I’m Baker, I’m sitting back, waiting on my check for 19 mil, and enjoying the show.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

The Browns are so f***ed right now in regard to moving Mayfield after backing themselves into this corner. I can’t remember a team having less leverage, and the entire league knows it.

Did you see that thing yesterday where a team told the Browns they wanted them them to include a draft pick in exchange for taking on his salary? ?

If I’m Baker, I’m sitting back, waiting on my check for 19 mil, and enjoying the show.

You'd think the Browns could at least get what the Jets received from the Panthers for Sam Darnold: 6th-round pick along with 2nd-round and 4th-round selections in the following years Draft. Heck even Josh Rosen got a 2nd  round pick (No. 62) in 2019 and a fifth round selection in 2020 draft. The Browns at the very least should get a future 2nd round pick for Baker.

17 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

You'd think the Browns could at least get what the Jets received from the Panthers for Sam Darnold: 6th-round pick along with 2nd-round and 4th-round selections in the following years Draft. Heck even Josh Rosen got a 2nd  round pick (No. 62) in 2019 and a fifth round selection in 2020 draft. The Browns at the very least should get a future 2nd round pick for Baker.

Not a chance, my friend. Rosen had 4 years left on his deal, and Sam had one, plus the option ( plus we didn’t HAVE to trade him).
Baker’s on his 5th year option making 18m. Teams know the Browns can’t bring him back, but they have to pay him. Why would anyone offer any value? They’ll be lucky to get a 5th or 6 for him right now
Cleveland is between a rock and a hard place thanks to their own stupidity. It’s amazing how badly they screwed this up. 

• Upvote 2

On 3/23/2022 at 8:29 PM, Green Ghost said:

No one wants Baker. He’s a prima donna who thinks he’s way better than he really is and would be toxic to any nfl locker room - he was toxic for the browns last season

The check for 19 mil will be his last so he better savor it

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 3/22/2022 at 2:00 PM, More Cowbell said:

The body of work for Baker is mediocre at best. The Browns are admitting  they sceewed up big time taking him number 1 overall. Baker as of right now is a mega bust. I would hope foe better from our QB.

If Baker is so good and can only be had for a 5th round pick or less why aren’t the jets calling?

Oh, right, that’s because he’s not good.

54 minutes ago, Dwight Englewood said:

No one wants Baker. He’s a prima donna who thinks he’s way better than he really is and would be toxic to any nfl locker room - he was toxic for the browns last season

The check for 19 mil will be his last so he better savor it

19 million can be savored for quite a while. He’ll be ok no matter what. Then he can hold a clipboard for a few years at 8 mill a pop. I wouldn’t worry about him. 

17 minutes ago, docdhc said:

19 million can be savored for quite a while. He’ll be ok no matter what. Then he can hold a clipboard for a few years at 8 mill a pop. I wouldn’t worry about him. 

The word on baker is apparently getting out and I don’t know if he could even be a backup anywhere.  He’s a headcase who thinks he’s way better than he really is.  The Seahawks are literally going with Geno and a rookie over him and the falcons chose stinkbag Mariota 

15 minutes ago, Dwight Englewood said:

The word on baker is apparently getting out and I don’t know if he could even be a backup anywhere.  He’s a headcase who thinks he’s way better than he really is.  The Seahawks are literally going with Geno and a rookie over him and the falcons chose stinkbag Mariota 

Your not wrong. I just think at some point he’ll get another shot. Especially after this year when he no longer costs 19 million 

1 hour ago, Dwight Englewood said:

If baker was so good, why are none of these teams with qb vacancies asking about him

Because the team trading for him will have to give him an extension. Just like Tyreek Hill, Baker will be able to dictate where he goes based on the extension a team is willing to give. Not to mention the 31 other teams are well aware the Browns will have to cut ties.

Teams will let Baker chose where he goes in FA because why on earth would you give up a pick knowing he'll be cut?

• Sympathy 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/21/2022 at 7:10 PM, Green Ghost said:

Sorry ZachEY, but you’re a distant second with that.

Remember @14 in green? He hated Darnold so much his name was the example @GREENBEAN used when he referred to the Darnold haters in his first video for JN.

14 was my favorite poster ever (don’t ask me why, lol). Smart, handsome, well spoken, he had it all. I miss him so much. ?

14 in green is still around Im pretty sure.  He jut changed his name.   ??‍♂️

• Haha 3

On 3/22/2022 at 2:36 PM, Rangers9 said:

I was thinking that Geno could have a shot at the Seahawks starting job since he played well in relief when Wilson injured last year. But looks like they haven't re-signed him and as usual he shoots himself in the foot after doing something good. He had a DUI in the Seattle area in Jan so maybe a reason they haven't re-signed him. I was thinking he could maybe compete with Lock if they don't get Jimmy G, Sam, etc.

they resigned him...3.5 mil I believe, 1 yr deal

Baker will be moved but at some point the Browns will need to cave and also pay like $10 million of his $18M guaranteed. Interestingly Browns get no benefit from releasing him cap wise so paying part of his salary might be the only way to go. It could possibly even come down to offering Baker and draft picks to get out from under the money