Revis gives encouragement to Becton

1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I'm betting that quote does not originate where I remember it from...

but I remember that quote from Game of Thrones uttered by a proud man that could not accept his brilliant dwarf son because of the 'opinion of sheep'. 

Everyone likes to pretend they're above it all but we're pack animals - of course we care what people think. 

False. Mature and confident men shrug off Twitter trolls. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

A superior in most business environments would not use that type of language to antagonize or censure a subordinate.  If you assaulted a superior or peer on the job that was critical of your work, you'd lose your employment and most probably get arrested.  Then, there would be legal fees and possibly a civil suit.  You'd also have a hard time finding a new job afterwards  Or, perhaps the person you tried to assault may defend themselves. 

Fantasy based suggestions like that come from inexperienced kids or adults with maturity issues. 

It might feel good for a second to pound an abuser, but it is not practicable. 

Yes, sticking up for yourself when being demeaned by your boss is immature, yet calling someone you don't know a fat lazy sh*t without the underlying context is fine.

Doesn't really mean I'd kick his ass, but you get the point.  But you really don't since you ignored my point that making a lot of money should not open you up to being a bigger target for personal attacks than others.  Does your implied maturity agree with this point?  Because your original argument for why Becton should accept this is because he is making a lot of money.

You've also assumed that he is underperforming and is not legitimately injured or unable to come back due to weight or other personal issues.  Yes, we all know he came to camp out of shape and there remain reasonable questions about his future.  We also agree that the Jets have every right to cut bait if he doesn't answer these questions, much like an employer has the right to fire us.  I guess you are not ok with legitimate cases of workers' comp for injury or for people taking time off to deal with personal matters.  And if they did, then it's a performance issue that should welcome personal attacks if the pay was high enough.

3 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Yes, sticking up for yourself when being demeaned by your boss is immature, yet calling someone you don't know a fat lazy sh*t without the underlying context is fine.

Doesn't really mean I'd kick his ass, but you get the point.  But you really don't since you ignored my point that making a lot of money should not open you up to being a bigger target for personal attacks than others.  Does your implied maturity agree with this point?  Because your original argument for why Becton should accept this is because he is making a lot of money.

You've also assumed that he is underperforming and is not legitimately injured or unable to come back due to weight or other personal issues.  Yes, we all know he came to camp out of shape and there remain reasonable questions about his future.  We also agree that the Jets have every right to cut bait if he doesn't answer these questions, much like an employer has the right to fire us.  I guess you are not ok with legitimate cases of workers' comp for injury or for people taking time off to deal with personal matters.  And if they did, then it's a performance issue that should welcome personal attacks if the pay was high enough.

Where did I call anyone a fat lazy sh*t ?

As for any fan being critical of a players performance in a sports talk forum.. 

What the public has to say goes along with the big media money.  If you cant deal with rejection don't become a sales professional.   If you don't want to get hit, don't become a boxer.  If you can't deal with public criticism, don't become a professional athlete or public entertainer of any kind. 

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

You've got your logic wrong. Becton accepted it as part of making a lot of money and being on twitter allowing the public to comment. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

He's in show business.  What the public has to say comes along with the job and the big media money.  If you cant deal with rejection don't become a sales professional.   If you don't want to get punched, don't become a boxer.  If you don't want to deal with public criticism, don't become a professional athlete, 

Ooh, I’ve got one… If you don’t want to eat bananas, don’t become an ape.

Seriously though, I don’t disagree with you. I simply think it’s gone beyond criticism and is no longer categorically a “toughen up” thing. It’s gotten toxic and personal.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

one of the best times i had as a jets fan was watching wrs stranded on revis island-sadly he got fat and slow at the end but I never faulted him for going for the money-teams cut guys at the drop of a hat

I am glad the post was from revis instead of vernon gholston

sadly becton will be out of here within the year-you cant be a first round pick that cant get on the field especially when the mantra is  your lazy

6 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

You've got your logic wrong. Becton accepted it as part of making a lot of money and being on twitter allowing the public to comment. 

Making a lot of money and being on twitter means you are a fair target for abuse?  Criticism, SURE but abuse as in being called a fat lazy **** .. in so many words?  I do get that is what often happens, I just don't agree with it.  Nor do I agree with the cancel culture that often happens when public figures themselves cross the line.  

In my opinion, most would likely agree to the following:

1. As a professional athlete in the public eye, he is absolutely open to criticism over his performance

2. If he doesn't answer some of these questions-- some related to weight, maturity, or mental health, he should not be guaranteed to keep his job.  I mean who would disagree with this?

3. On the flip side, there might be a line where criticism turns into personal attacks (a form of abuse or bullying).  For Becton, there seems to be a quite a lot of this

4. Yes, he is partly to blame and in a perfect world should just ignore it all, probably quit Twitter.  Immature human beings and even mature ones might find it tough to ignore.  We've all been there

5. Given his age and some questions around why he wasn't able to come back from injury, it might be better to support the young buck rather than writing him off or directly questioning his character/effort

Is that fair Jeremy?

2 hours ago, JTJet said:

Yes. I am.

I'm not on his twitter page mocking him, nor engaging him at all (and for clarification I dont think anyone should be saying anything to him on Twitter in the first place, AND he shouldnt even be reading what they say on top of that)

But here's the kicker. We are talking on an internetttttt messageeeeee boardddddddd.

Keep your fake altruistic BS at home. Holier than thou internet crusaders arent any better than trash talkers. 

Haha, you get so triggered by anyone with any semblance of moral integrity or values. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Ooh, I’ve got one… If you don’t want to eat bananas, don’t become an ape.

Seriously though, I don’t disagree with you. I simply think it’s gone beyond criticism and is no longer categorically a “toughen up” thing. It’s gotten toxic and personal.

Give me what Becton has made and you can throw rotten tomatoes at me, concoct any personal insult you want and hurl them at me.  Easy task to bare for 18,000,000 pus 10,000,000 signing bonus. 

Besides, I didn't call him names in any of my posts.  

2 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Give me what Becton has made and you can throw rotten tomatoes at me, concoct any personal insult you want and hurl them at me.  Easy task to bare for 18,000,000 pus 10,000,000 signing bonus. 

Besides, I didn't call him names in any of my posts.  

We’re discussing what he gets called on Twitter. Not what you posted.

I’m happy for you that it wouldn’t bother you. That’s seems important.

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

This thread is stupendous. Who would have thought a bunch of middle-aged dudes would have this much lent up hostility over a kid making tons more money than they ever will. 

“Toughen up” fatsos.

The respective amounts of money being made by players or middle-aged dudes isn't what is driving this thread.  The compelling issue is NOT EARNING the compensation. 

Hump or hit the bricks.

If that hurts anyone's feelings, perhaps one of the sensitive people here can send out a coloring book and pack of crayons for their gender neutral safe space. 

Just now, THE BARON said:

The respective amounts of money being made by players or middle-aged dudes isn't what is driving this thread.  The compelling issue is NOT EARNING the compensation. 

Hump or hit the bricks.

If that hurts anyone's feelings, perhaps one of the sensitive people here can send out a coloring book and pack of crayons for their gender neutral safe space

Oh, it absolutely is. 

That and the simple desire to be cruel and then rationale it with some BS about work ethic (coming from people spending all day online while at work).

I mean, you’re proving my point. 

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Oh, it absolutely is. 

That and the simple desire to be cruel and then rationale it with some BS about work ethic (coming from people spending all day online while at work).

I mean, you’re proving my point. 

Heck sake... Where was I intentionally cruel to anyone ?  I dont think Becton is going to work out and I want JD to draft another OT.  

That is tame compared to other stuff I hear in this forum. 

Where is the sensitivity police in here when Brady and or Belichick get ripped apart ?

11 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Heck sake... Where was I intentionally cruel to anyone ?  I dont think Becton is going to work out and I want JD to draft another OT.  

That is tame compared to other stuff I hear in this forum. 

Where is the sensitivity police in here when Brady and or Belichick get ripped apart ?

I feel like you’re struggling with comprehension, and frankly I don’t have any interest in this topic any longer.

Hump or hit the bricks.

If that hurts anyone's feelings, perhaps one of the sensitive people here can send out a coloring book and pack of crayons for their gender neutral safe space. 

You sound incredibly mature, happy, and compassionate.  I'll pray for you tonight :).

Hey, shouldn't you be working instead of on a message board.  Are you sure you are earning your pay?  

31 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

You sound incredibly mature, happy, and compassionate.  I'll pray for you tonight :).

Hey, shouldn't you be working instead of on a message board.  Are you sure you are earning your pay?  

You are mocking my work ethic :(  Cant you be more sensitive ??? I'm a human being. 

It seems like you are the one with a struggle here.  Feel free to move along

Yes. This seems correct. I am fighting with the whole thread and unable to discern whether people are talking about what I said vs. what people on Twitter said.

Martha Stewart Nod GIF

39 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

You sound so miserable and angry.   Maybe rent a silicone doll or something to release some of that negative energy.

You would know best what dolls are being made of these days and what they are used for.