Jump to content

Shanahan scheme wants a RB by committee so............


SouthernJet
 Share

Recommended Posts

Is Coleman the perfect 1B to Carter?

Is there better options out there. Obviously based on Carter skillset along with 'maybe' not burliest of RBs at goal line we may thing a compliment is a stronger back.

Who out there? Draft?

Melvin Gordon would actually be a perfect physical compliment and do well at the goal line (something sorely needed). HadsDouglas patiently waited out FA long enough to get Gordon a good price?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, kmnj said:

coleman is beyond washed how and why jd wants him back is a real head scracher-what about the scrub rb he drafted in perrine?

 

 

Knows the system and came at a great price. I wouldn't anticipate that the jets plan on heading into the season as him being the 1b back. I anticipate that the jets will bring in another RB, either by draft or FA. Coleman is the backup that takes over should one of the top 2 backs were to miss time. in that role, the signing makes sense and can be justified. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, kmnj said:

coleman is beyond washed how and why jd wants him back is a real head scracher-what about the scrub rb he drafted in perrine?

 

 

Ya, I think Gordon a perfect physical scheme fit to counter Carters attributes as a 1B to Carters 1A

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, extmenace said:

Knows the system and came at a great price. I wouldn't anticipate that the jets plan on heading into the season as him being the 1b back. I anticipate that the jets will bring in another RB, either by draft or FA. Coleman is the backup that takes over should one of the top 2 backs were to miss time. in that role, the signing makes sense and can be justified. 

agree and Shanahan scheme likes 3 rotating backs with 1C getting less reps but involved. Its why SF a nightmare for Fantasy owners per RB's LOL

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the Jets’ best opportunity to find a really good offensive playmaker in this draft would be a running back in the second round. Make Carter a 1B back and the rookie a 1A. Carter is absolutely a committee back anyway.

Someone like Alvin Kamara got under 40% of the Saints’ carries two years ago even though he played in 15 games. There’s a way to be a committee team and still get a high end back valuable touches while also keeping him fresh and healthy.

I don’t think they go that route but do think it’d be a viable strategy.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 personnel, 21 personnel, even 22 personel.... That's the SF offense.

Tell me why we're hellbent on upgrading Corey Davis right now?  Sure, I'd love to get a better WR than him, but this idea that the Jets need to go WR in Round 1 doesn't make sense to me.

Uzomah and Conklin might be on the field together a LOT along with Michael Carter.  That's a 12 personnel grouping and you're not getting more than 2 WRs on the field in that case.  Out of Corey Davis and CJ Uzomah I might actually argue that drafting a TE in Round 2 to upgrade Uzomah is as important as upgrading Davis.

The Jets could certainly go WR at #10, I just think a guy like Christian Watson at #35 is more likely.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, derp said:

I think the Jets’ best opportunity to find a really good offensive playmaker in this draft would be a running back in the second round. Make Carter a 1B back and the rookie a 1A. Carter is absolutely a committee back anyway.

Someone like Alvin Kamara got under 40% of the Saints’ carries two years ago even though he played in 15 games. There’s a way to be a committee team and still get a high end back valuable touches while also keeping him fresh and healthy.

I don’t think they go that route but do think it’d be a viable strategy.

ya committee are put together oddly and %'s mean zilch. Look at edmunds conner last year.

I wouldnt mind a draft pick RB but think if things fall right Jets may sneak a wildcarsdso a 1 year deal for Gordon may be a smart move . With most openings gone Gordon may love a 1 year deal with upfront signing bonus so he can do it all over again in 2023.

I think Gordon goes back to Denver of Chargers though. (That will piss of williams fantasy owners. Ekeler actually put up great #s w/Gordon. Was fresher and didnt get dinged as much)

Why I like him for Jets, keep Carter fresh and away from goal line injury zone

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, jetstream23 said:

12 personnel, 21 personnel, even 22 personel.... That's the SF offense.

Tell me why we're hellbent on upgrading Corey Davis right now?  Sure, I'd love to get a better WR than him, but this idea that the Jets need to go WR in Round 1 doesn't make sense to me.

Uzomah and Conklin might be on the field together a LOT along with Michael Carter.  That's a 12 personnel grouping and you're not getting more than 2 WRs on the field in that case.  Out of Corey Davis and CJ Uzomah I might actually argue that drafting a TE in Round 2 to upgrade Uzomah is as important as upgrading Davis.

The Jets could certainly go WR at #10, I just think a guy like Christian Watson at #35 is more likely.

I think you have wrong thread. This is RB by committee thread. Good points though

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, SouthernJet said:

I think you have wrong thread. This is RB by committee thread. Good points though

You're partially right.  I'm a bit off topic but I did intend to post that here.

Put it this way, I'd argue that TE and RB additions in the Draft are just as important as adding a WR, maybe even moreso.

The Jets need a 1A or 1B RB to go along with Michael Carter, a true committee guy (not a guy who spells the starter and gets 5 touches).  But they can wait until 2023 for the Corey Davis upgrade.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, SouthernJet said:

Ya, I think Gordon a perfect physical scheme fit to counter Carters attributes as a 1B to Carters 1A

I like Grodon in there if Carter hurt as opposed to Coleman

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, KRL said:

I'm hoping for a bigger RB in the draft, someone like Brian Robinson from ALA:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/brian-robinson/3200524f-4273-6177-6c0d-d79eb9d007d1

It would give us a different look because both Carter & Coleman are smaller quicker backs

agree,, why that good idea for future but I like a 1-2 year 'lets get a wildcard' deal for Gordon who fits same size bill,, 6'1 220

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Either get another smooth can do it all back like james cook or get a big banging beefy back.  Who is the closets player to aj dillon in this draft?

I think other than draft Gordon best compliment ot Carter.. we NEED proved RB that can pass block and pick up blitzes. There is reason Javonta Williams had huge year in Denver. Gordon terrific blocker and LBs have to respect play action cause he can catch opening up other RB

 

From AFC GM:

Gordon is a strong goal-to-go back that can find the end zone on top of being solid in the passing game both as a receiver and blocker.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Jets "stole" MC1 last year at the top of the 4th round.   He is a very good but undersized change of pace running back.

The Jets need to invest their high 3rd round pick, at a minimum, in a bigger back.  There are several in this draft.  That seems to be the value there.  Perine will be a reserve until his contract expires.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, extmenace said:

Knows the system and came at a great price. I wouldn't anticipate that the jets plan on heading into the season as him being the 1b back. I anticipate that the jets will bring in another RB, either by draft or FA. Coleman is the backup that takes over should one of the top 2 backs were to miss time. in that role, the signing makes sense and can be justified. 

I hear you, the only problem is after he replaces the backup he's the one joining them missing time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Jets "stole" MC1 last year at the top of the 4th round.   He is a very good but undersized change of pace running back.

The Jets need to invest their high 3rd round pick, at a minimum, in a bigger back.  There are several in this draft.  That seems to be the value there.  Perine will be a reserve until his contract expires.  

100% agree, but would like a 1 year starter proven in case he can get a wildcard. Gordon appears to be available for a friendly deal

 

I think other than draft Gordon best compliment ot Carter.. we NEED proved RB that can pass block and pick up blitzes. There is reason Javonta Williams had huge year in Denver. Gordon terrific blocker and LBs have to respect play action cause he can catch opening up other RB

 

From AFC GM:

Gordon is a strong goal-to-go back that can find the end zone on top of being solid in the passing game both as a receiver and blocker.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, kmnj said:

coleman is beyond washed how and why jd wants him back is a real head scracher-what about the scrub rb he drafted in perrine?

 

 

What exactly leads you to believe that Coleman is “beyond washed”?  He averaged a respectable 4.2 yards per carry last season, showed good burst, and even contributed some big returns on the kickoff team.  He’s a veteran who knows the system, and isn’t being paid a ton.  About the worst thing I can think to say about him is that he’s been nicked up a bit the last few years, but since he’s not the featured back, I don’t have a big issue with that.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Tell me why we're hellbent on upgrading Corey Davis right now?  Sure, I'd love to get a better WR than him, but this idea that the Jets need to go WR in Round 1 doesn't make sense to me. 

Because Corey Davis is a Y in this system and they don't have an X. The real reason is because Mims is worthless and the WR market is insane. Corey Davis is worth 40 mil (yikes) and Christian Kirk is worth 80 and Davonte Adams is worth 140 million... it drives up the value of every WR alive.  And guys like Allen Robinson aren't interested in signing with another rebuilding program. 

If the Jets want to get better on offense they have to draft this player, and with WR value skyrocketing, they need to use a premium pick to do it  

Oh, and Tevin Coleman sucks 

 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, SouthernJet said:

Is Coleman the perfect 1B to Carter?

Is there better options out there. Obviously based on Carter skillset along with 'maybe' not burliest of RBs at goal line we may thing a compliment is a stronger back.

Who out there? Draft?

Melvin Gordon would actually be a perfect physical compliment and do well at the goal line (something sorely needed). HadsDouglas patiently waited out FA long enough to get Gordon a good price?

Shanahan scheme wants a RB by committee so............

 

Is that really true and what exactly does that have to do with our offense? IMO both the Jets and 49ers only go committee due to injury and would like to have a feature back with some back ups to only come in to provide breather. Not really a full blown committee.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, derp said:

I think the Jets’ best opportunity to find a really good offensive playmaker in this draft would be a running back in the second round. Make Carter a 1B back and the rookie a 1A. Carter is absolutely a committee back anyway.

Someone like Alvin Kamara got under 40% of the Saints’ carries two years ago even though he played in 15 games. There’s a way to be a committee team and still get a high end back valuable touches while also keeping him fresh and healthy.

I don’t think they go that route but do think it’d be a viable strategy.

RB in the 2nd round?  They'd better love the guy if so.  The 4th round feels like the right spot for a RB.

I hope we draft a TE in the 3rd or 4th round too.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gordon makes sense if he's cheap. Anyone thinking we're gonna take a RB before round 3 tho isn't paying attention. The Jets are gonna want a guy that can catch and is fast. That's all they need from a guy that's gonna play 30% of snaps. The compliment to Carter isn't gonna be a bigger guy, it's gonna be a fast potential home run guy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, kmnj said:

coleman is beyond washed how and why jd wants him back is a real head scracher-what about the scrub rb he drafted in perrine?

 

 

I was shocked to see them re-sign Coleman as well. I was hoping for a guy like Ronald Jones or Phillip Lindsay. I am assuming that means we will be looking for find the true 1B to Michael Carter's 1A in the draft. Likely in rounds 3-5. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

RB in the 2nd round?  They'd better love the guy if so.  The 4th round feels like the right spot for a RB.

I hope we draft a TE in the 3rd or 4th round too.  

I think the running backs who will go in the second round are better running back prospects than the wide receivers who will go in the first round are wide receiver prospects, if that convoluted sentence makes any sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Shanahan scheme wants a RB by committee so............

 

Is that really true and what exactly does that have to do with our offense? IMO both the Jets and 49ers only go committee due to injury and would like to have a feature back with some back ups to only come in to provide breather. Not really a full blown committee.

its shanahan approach (dad, son, mcvay etc)

unless of course he has that rare beast a stud 3 down RB which maybe the NFL has 3-4 any given year. I think shanahan systems has been best at utilizing committee approach IF no stud.... we dont have that stud and we have a OC that learned form guys who honed committee approach. You be surprised some teams try and force feed a RB 3 downs when they or OL isnt built for that

https://www.nfl.com/news/sean-mcvay-wants-to-copy-shanahan-s-approach-with-rb-committee

Sean McVay copying Shanahan's approach with RB committee

The Los Angeles Rams moved on from 

Todd Gurley
 with the plan of employing a committee approach in 2020.

Coach Sean McVay told Dan Hellie on the Helliepod recently that he's taking a page out of Kyle Shanahan's playbook in how he plans to approach the running back position.

"I think it'll just naturally work itself out. I think if you look at that success San Fran had last year with that running back-by-committee approach," McVay said, via Cameron DaSilva of The Rams Wire. "What I thought Kyle (Shanahan) and their players did a great job of is, 'Hey, we're going to have an open-mind approach, we're going to be committed to trying to have some balance and then we'll go with the hot hand or whoever really expresses himself as deserving of the carries."

In the wake of 

Todd Gurley
's disastrous contract, the Rams' plan to ride a committee is natural. It's not wholly unlike when a person breaks up with someone and subconsciously seeks out a partner diametrically opposed to their previous companion.

McVay noted that 

Darrell Henderson
, Malcolm 
John Kelly
 and rookie 
Cam Akers
 all have the ability to carry the load if needed.

"We feel good. We've got three guys really on our roster that have played football when you look at 

Darrell Henderson
 , 
John Kelly
 is another guy, 
Malcolm Brown
 has consistently produced in that No. 2 role behind Todd," he said. "And then 
Cam Akers
 is a guy that we're excited about. So we've got four backs that we feel like are all NFL-legitimate starting-caliber backs and not feeling like you've got to force carries or touches to any of them. Just open mind and see how these guys do."

How the carries shake out will depend on a myriad of factors, including how fast 

Akers

 picks up the offense given the lack of offseason work prior to training camp. The rookie remains the best bet to win the most substantial role, especially on early downs, but, as McVay said, all four running backs should play a part.

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...