Grading the Jets Free Agency Moves

LIJetsFan

The flacco comments and laughable.

"A 37-year-old former Super Bowl MVP with enough left in the tank is what the Jets need should something happen to Wilson. The offense won’t completely crumble if he has to enter the game. They can win."

Joe Flacco has been involved in 7 games for the jets the last two years ...... 0-7

You should give your team a chance if he starter goes down, Flacco gives you no chance.  Flacco at best should be QB3. even that....

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

"A 37-year-old former Super Bowl MVP with enough left in the tank is what the Jets need should something happen to Wilson. The offense won’t completely crumble if he has to enter the game. They can win."

Joe Flacco has been involved in 7 games for the jets the last two years ...... 0-7

You should give your team a chance if he starter goes down, Flacco gives you no chance.  Flacco at best should be QB3. even that....

He wasn’t my top choice either, but this is bit of an oversimplification. It’s a team sport not a 1 player sport. Blaming him in any part for 2 losses where he threw 2 and 3 passes (all of them completed, including a TD, with no turnovers) is some major agenda-driven stuff.

He had a couple bad starts in his first 2 games returning to live action after his prior injury, with the same crappy cast around him that the starter failed with. e.g. his 2nd start his only legitimate starter, Crowder, had 116 yds and a TD. There were no other NFL players on the field much with him. Next-best Berrios was active, but didn’t play much with Crowder manning the slot. Awful outing, but he had little to work with in backs and receivers and TEs, plus 4 of the Jets’ 5 OLmen mostly sucked in 2020, including Fant.

Last 3 starts 7 TDs 2 INTs. He’s nothing great, and again he wouldn’t have been my top choice, but he’s not been as bad as you make it out.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

The Jacob Martin signing is interesting.  He's obviously a situational guy but if you look at his production vs. his snaps, he's effective and this was on a team that rarely saw leads, similar to the Jets.  I think him and someone like Huff make a nice rotation for situational pass rushers opposite of Lawson.  Seeing what some gettable FA's edge rushers got money wise this season, I think JD has his heart set on finding a pass rusher via the draft for the long term.

i think you can judge each player individually but it still remains to be seen how they play as a team.  thus far douglas has brought in players that fit specific needs of the team.  the tomlinson choice finally give the jets some really good oline talent across the board.  signing uzomah and conklin finally addresses the te position. berrios deserved to be re-signed.  whitehead and reed also strengthen the secondary.  the jets haven't had great safety play for quite some time.  maye was good and adams was more of a small lb.  hopefully whitehead can solidify the position and reed can add some veteran experience to the young guys .

the bottom line is the paper evaluations only go so far.  let's see what they bring in september.

They signed quality players at positions of need to largely reasonable deals. Maybe a little extra to lock up Tomlinson or Uzomah, but nothing crazy. No real top end game changers but we improved the team. Hard to be critical of any of these moves...

...an A- for Flacco though? It's bizarre we keep bringing him back. He's got nothing left. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Yes, M. Figgen White did beat the Bengals, so at least he gives you a chance to win a game. He should be the Backup and Flacco should be the 3rd string basically player/coach like Paul Newman was in Slapshot.

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Geno Smith was the backup in Seattle last year. 

Brandon Allen was the backup in Cinci. 

Cowboys backup was Cooper Rush. 

Rams backup was John Walford. 

Those were teams looking to win a SB last year and they didn't have good backups. Why do the Jets need a better backup QB than Flacco or White? 

If Flacco was good enough to win games in the NFL, he wouldn't be a backup. There are no good backups in the NFL. There are barely enough good starters. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He wasn’t my top choice either, but this is bit of an oversimplification. It’s a team sport not a 1 player sport. Blaming him in any part for 2 losses where he threw 2 and 3 passes (all of them completed, including a TD, with no turnovers) is some major agenda-driven stuff.

He had a couple bad starts in his first 2 games returning to live action after his prior injury, with the same crappy cast around him that the starter failed with. e.g. his 2nd start his only legitimate starter, Crowder, had 116 yds and a TD. There were no other NFL players on the field much with him. Next-best Berrios was active, but didn’t play much with Crowder manning the slot. Awful outing, but he had little to work with in backs and receivers and TEs, plus 4 of the Jets’ 5 OLmen mostly sucked in 2020, including Fant.

Last 3 starts 7 TDs 2 INTs. He’s nothing great, and again he wouldn’t have been my top choice, but he’s not been as bad as you make it out.

I never blamed him for those 2 or 3 pass loses, if you see how i worded it i specifically said he was involved with the game.  The guy in the article stated Flacco gives you a chance if the starter goes down, he doesn't.

Worse yet he is a totally different QB than the starter, he is a pure pocket statue so if he goes in the offense and all play calling has to change.

Flacco is Mark Brunnel, a guy the jets have for no good reason at all other than to be zero threat to the starter.

Awful guy for a backup, as your season is over if the starter goes down and it does not have to be that way.

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I never blamed him for those 2 or 3 pass loses, if you see how i worded it i specifically said he was involved with the game.  The guy in the article stated Flacco gives you a chance if the starter goes down, he doesn't.

Worse yet he is a totally different QB than the starter, he is a pure pocket statue so if he goes in the offense and all play calling has to change.

Flacco is Mark Brunnel, a guy the jets have for no good reason at all other than to be zero threat to the starter.

Awful guy for a backup, as your season is over if the starter goes down and it does not have to be that way.

I saw how you worded it, but the obvious insinuation and/or guilt by association, is he was a part of 7 losses otherwise why bother mentioning them? He had a 100% completion percentage. 

3rd time, he wasn't my preference, but when the backup QB is throwing multiple TDs and/or leading the offense to 25+ pts, not throwing picks, and the team's still losing, the problem wasn't the backup QB. He's not been Brunell, who was 40 & 41 when he was here. If he throws 2 TDs without any picks and/or the offense scores 25+, that loss is more on those around the QB2. 

That said, it's doubtful he's going to get better rather than worse with each passing season. My feeling is if they wanted him to be the QBC then pay him off the cap as the QBC with that same $3-4MM for all I care. But they figure he can start a few games to a month if needed. If they need him as long as they needed Moses last year, I'd be less than thrilled with him, but probably that'd go for most other QB2s, too.

3 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Geno Smith was the backup in Seattle last year. 

Brandon Allen was the backup in Cinci. 

Cowboys backup was Cooper Rush. 

Rams backup was John Walford. 

Those were teams looking to win a SB last year and they didn't have good backups. Why do the Jets need a better backup QB than Flacco or White? 

We need a better backup QB because Zach Wilson threw 9 TD's and 11 picks last year.

I'm not just worried about Zach getting hurt, also concerned he'll play like he did last year. We needed a better contingency plan than Flacco/White.

3 minutes ago, RichardTodd27 said:

We need a better backup QB because Zach Wilson threw 9 TD's and 11 picks last year.

I'm not just worried about Zach getting hurt, also concerned he'll play like he did last year. We needed a better contingency plan than Flacco/White.

If he plays poorly, this team isn't making the playoffs regardless of who the backup is. So again, who cares if we have Flacco or Fitzpatrick or Geno or Henne or Daniel or any other Backup QB. They all suck. If they were good enough to win in the NFL they wouldn't be backup QBs. 

• Like 1

Laken Tomlinson is only OK 

He's like a B or B- type of player. He is good at run blocking, he's only OK in pass protection and he's not that amazing of an athlete. he is smart and durable. is he better than GVR? absolutely

but they are moving him from LG to RG and that's always weird. It's a fine signing. It's not like Alan Faneca part II and it certainly doesn't prevent JD from drafting another tackle 

there are two things about free agency to really consider it as a whole

who did Joe sign

who did the division rivals sign

did we upgrade our talent and did we upgrade our talent relative to when considering what the fins bills and pats did

we are the worst team in the division we need to be improving vs our rivals and I dont think we did

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If he plays poorly, this team isn't making the playoffs regardless of who the backup is. So again, who cares if we have Flacco or Fitzpatrick or Geno or Henne or Daniel or any other Backup QB. They all suck. If they were good enough to win in the NFL they wouldn't be backup QBs. 

Mac Jones, Ryan Tannehill and Jalen Hurts made the playoffs.  Plenty of QBs in the NFL suck, the idea they shouldn't have a better backup is silly.  There is a fair chance the backup could be better than Wilson.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I liked all of our FA moves but I still think the team is thin at RB, WR, OL, LB.  

Luckily the Jets have 9 draft picks, 4 in the top 38. 

We also had enough cap space to sign Tyreek Hill to a mega deal. It's pretty likely a few teams will be trying to unload high priced players, especially after the draft. Tyreek  

17 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Mac Jones, Ryan Tannehill and Jalen Hurts made the playoffs.  Plenty of QBs in the NFL suck, the idea they shouldn't have a better backup is silly.  There is a fair chance the backup could be better than Wilson.

Who would you want as backup QB that’s available and at what price?  Other than Mayfield I don’t think there’s anyone out there significantly better than Flacco and he may be a valuable mentor for Zach behind the scenes. Our long term success hinges on Zach’s success. If a backup has to play it’s unlikely we’re in playoff contention anyway and winning a couple more meaningless games doesn’t help us. 

1 minute ago, docdhc said:

Who would you want as backup QB that’s available and at what price?  Other than Mayfield I don’t think there’s anyone out there significantly better than Flacco and he may be a valuable mentor for Zach behind the scenes. Our long term success hinges on Zach’s success. If a backup has to play it’s unlikely we’re in playoff contention anyway and winning a couple more meaningless games doesn’t help us. 

A few meaningless games?  No games are meaningless.  I am not advocating breaking the bank for a backup QB.  Our long-term success hinges on finding a QB.  If it is Zach, great, but I don't think the old "if Zach isn't good we should give up the season" is a valid way of thinking.  If you want to use the extra 2 million to upgrade elsewhere, fine, but acting like winning a couple more games is meaningless?  I don't want that near my team. 

12 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

A few meaningless games?  No games are meaningless.  I am not advocating breaking the bank for a backup QB.  Our long-term success hinges on finding a QB.  If it is Zach, great, but I don't think the old "if Zach isn't good we should give up the season" is a valid way of thinking.  If you want to use the extra 2 million to upgrade elsewhere, fine, but acting like winning a couple more games is meaningless?  I don't want that near my team. 

Ok but who can we sign better than Flacco?

25 minutes ago, docdhc said:

Ok but who can we sign better than Flacco?

Mike White?  

I don't really give a ****.  I don't have anything against Flacco.  I think he seems like a strange choice, being a statue and all, but whatever.  They seem to like him.  My post was not to complain about Flacco, but to disagree with the whole argument that it doesn't matter cause it is Zach or bust.  That is silly thinking in my opinion.  Saying that you shouldn't draft a QB in the 4th because you have Darnold?  Well, then Washington on shouldn't have burned a 4th on Cousins when they had Griffin, or the Cowboys Prescott behind Romo.  Tannehill to backup Mariota seems smart now, but I'm sure Titans fans complained.  The issue is in the execution, not that teams should just accept that they will not score if the starter goes down.  IMO that is doubly true when the starter is sketchy.