Tyreek Hill on the Block-Jets Involved. This is not a drill

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

young players form habits in these games - these can be good winning habits or bad losing habits. 

past wins and losses do mean something in the area of self-confidence. 

the difference between the best team in the NFL and the worst team in the NFL isn't really a difference in the amount of world class athletes each team has. Everyone has studs 

it's about confidence and momentum - what these players think they can do, when the game is on the line 

the Jets are a franchise with low confidence players and zero year-to-year momentum. that's not a judgment or an opinion it's what they are 

from 2 wins to 4 wins is a positive step. from 4 to 6 is the next step. It's crawl before you walk type of stuff. And on the other extreme, teams like the Bills make it one round further every time so the next time they are in the AFC Championship game they have the experience from last year and get over the hump 

I don't want to push this off-topic anymore, as this is a thread about the miss of snagging Hill.

I do not believe that players care about losses 6 years ago when they're still kissing their High School girlfriend.

Zach will win games.  The team just needs to get better around him.  Especially on defense.

Would Hill have been a nice piece.  Absolutely.  Do I believe the Jets are lamenting about this?  Absolutely not.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 2

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

So, was this the move JD was backloading all these contracts for?

I wonder if the Jets stayed in the game just to drive the price up for the Dolphins?  Would be smart to not let them get Hill at too good a price. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Green Truth said:

I don't want to push this off-topic anymore, as this is a thread about the miss of snagging Hill.

I do not believe that players care about losses 6 years ago when they're still kissing their High School girlfriend.

Zach will win games.  The team just needs to get better around him.  Especially on defense.

Would Hill have been a nice piece.  Absolutely.  Do I believe the Jets are lamenting about this?  Absolutely not.

The question is, would the chiefs have given hill the choice if the jets had upped the offer to include a first round pick?

12 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This is beautiful.  Well done and totally agree.

We will get a stud receiver at 10.  Its going to be awesome.

I personally don't see an elite receiver in this draft class. Plenty of good and some very good ones, sure. Not seeing a guy that jumps out as that Tyreek Hill/Davante Adams/DeAndre Hopkins level guy.

That's probably why Douglas was on this. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

They have done nothing to upgrade the WR position, that is a fact.  In fact, without Cole and Crowder they're not as deep or as talented as last year.  I do think that JD has done a good job at adding talent to the offense.  The 2 TE's are better than what we've had here for a while but are not world beaters by any stretch.  The Guard is a massive upgrade and will help with the run game and Wilson's protection.

All of that being said, the Jets have a massive question mark at Tackle with Becton based on his injury history and weight issues.  The WR's are the exact SAME guys minus a couple from last year where they were one of the worse WR groups in the NFL.  Did the Jets upgrade on offense overall?  Yes, but that's not hard when they were one of the worst offenses in the league in 2021.  Teams will still stack the box to stop the run and dare our 2nd year QB and our below average WR group to beat them.  It's the same thing they've been doing to us for years and the FO has done nothing to make them change.  It's a terrible way to develop a QB.

My suggestion:  Go take one of your 2nd's and go get TJ Lockett.  Stop with this youth movement nonsense and go help your young QB.  Counting on any skill position draft pick to have a major impact on your offense in year 1 is the surest way to get fired and JD is on the clock.  

I would expect the WR room will be better with a more experienced Moore and a healthy Davis. Add a draft pick and they are certainly better. 

• Upvote 1

I'm perplexed by some of these replies. I don't understand what is so hard to grasp. The Jets offer was better than the Dolphins. The Jets were not going to finalize an offer without an extension in place. Hill would not sign an extension with the Jets. The Chiefs could do nothing. Maybe if we offered Hill $40 million a year, he would have come. Why not $50 million!

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, Green Truth said:

the yearly 20 percent churn on every team means that yes you're right the losses from 6 years ago have no relevance

the losses from 2021 probably do though, to that 80% of the roster that returned. 

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I personally don't see an elite receiver in this draft class. Plenty of good and some very good ones, sure. Not seeing a guy that jumps out as that Tyreek Hill/Davante Adams/DeAndre Hopkins level guy.

How do you know? Did you predict Cooper Kupp would be the number one receiver in the league this year?

There will undoubtedly be a great receiver in this draft. There always is. Who it will be, who knows.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

None of those guys were top receivers in their draft classes. 

Cool. My point is that there's no obvious studs in this draft class. Of course there are always guys that end up better than anyone projected.

But this dude is acting like we have a choice of elite stud WRs here in the first round. It doesn't appear that way.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, rldev said:

How do you know? Did you predict Cooper Kupp would be the number one receiver in the league this year?

There will undoubtedly be a great receiver in this draft. There always is. Who it will be, who knows.

I don't know. No one knows. That's the point. Joe W. has been saying we're going to take a stud WR at 10 every third post as if he knows who that is. Last year was another story.

There's not an elite WR in every draft class.

32 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I guess i just think COrey Davis, Moore is good 1 2 punch at WR and more than what we need. Sure they were bad offense but it was more than just the WR's sucked. IT was injury related to the WR and the QB last year in new system. You are acting like they are subpar but I do not think so, they are actually pretty average but add in those TE that you dismiss, and alll of a sudden we are able to run the offense we planned on. Last year Matt had to reinvent the off gameplan for the team because our TE's were trash.

You think the off sucked cause of the WRs, i jsut disagree and unless someone like Hill or some other WR1 guy comes to our team then we are going to find out who is right this season. My money is on the team is in the playoff hunt and our offense will be able to move the ball. Hell last year we did at times and that was with our whole off playmakers taking turns on who was going to play that week with the rookie QB or his replacements.

Davis moore and even god damn i cant beleive im saying Sexton Berrios is decent enough squad to be our three starting WRs...barring injury we will be just fine. Add TE is like fixing the line. It makes the offense better overall and opens everything up. Just my opinion. I hope i am right!

Locket is not better than what we have I rather use the second on some WR draft pick

Last 48 games

255 rec, 3286 yds, 26 tds

Tell me again how Lockett isn't better than any WR on our team. 

Your fandom is clouding reality.

9 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Cool. My point is that there's no obvious studs in this draft class. Of course there are always guys that end up better than anyone projected.

But this dude is acting like we have a choice of elite stud WRs here in the first round. It doesn't appear that way.

Garrett Wilson is being mocked at 8.  Drake London at 10.  You might not think there is a cant miss stud wr in this draft, but experts smarter then both of us are telling you there are at least 2 of them.

You dont get mocked as a type 10 pick if people dont think you are going to be a total stud.

21 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

The question is, would the chiefs have given hill the choice if the jets had upped the offer to include a first round pick?

Regardless, I don't think it would have mattered if Hill wasn't gonna sign an extension with the Jets. The Jets would have likely had to give him way more than the Dolphins to consider it.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, docdhc said:

I would expect the WR room will be better with a more experienced Moore and a healthy Davis. Add a draft pick and they are certainly better. 

You're expecting that all to happen, what happens when it doesn't? How does that affect Wilson's development?

Moore missed 6 games too. The jury is still out if he can stay healthy just as much as it is for Davis. 

When you have a young QB the last thing you want to have is question marks around him. Unfortunately the Jets have a bunch.

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Garrett Wilson is being mocked at 8.  Drake London at 10.  You might not think there is a cant miss stud wr in this draft, but experts smarter then both of us are telling you there are at least 2 of them.

You dont get mocked as a type 10 pick if people dont think you are going to be a total stud.

That's positional value. Malick Willis will probably be a top 10 Qb and last year he wouldn't even be top 20 selection.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Copernicus said:

We are building a culture, a team with sustainability, we are not quite ready to add a talent like Hill nor are talent's like Hill going to want to play for us just yet. Factoring in this particular player punched his pregnant girlfriend in the stomach, and I am a bit relieved that I don't have to justify in my own head a reason why this is ok. I don't think the NY media would ever let him be successful. I could see the NY Post having a field day and never letting up. I think we avoided disaster and maybe this time next year is our time to acquire a talent like Hill. 

Let’s stop with this building a culture BS, shall we?

Their offer for Hill was accepted by the Chiefs. YOU don’t get to say they’re building a culture when you’re trading for a guy like Hill.. ?

In reality, JD and the Jets are as interested in “culture building” as the Cleveland Browns. When everything is equal, they’ll go with the Boy Scout. When the thug woman beater or sexual abuser is the much better player? You saw today how the Jets will go.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 3

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You can disagree with my stance all you want.  But I'm not "full of it" when I say I indeed did not watch the Jets the year they signed Vick.  You can look up my post history if you want.  

You don't f**k with dogs man.  Some people deserve to get hurt.  Dogs never do.  If you can harm an innocent creature, then I do believe it indeed makes you a "bad person".  No doubt, Kevin Spacey is a bad person.  As is Michael Vick.

My views on this subject can be summed up in a speech by this man:

https://www.historyplace.com/speeches/vest.htm

George Graham Vest (1830-1904) served as U.S. Senator from Missouri from 1879 to 1903 and became one of the leading orators and debaters of his time. This delightful speech is from an earlier period in his life when he practiced law in a small Missouri town. It was given in court while representing a man who sued another for the killing of his dog. During the trial, Vest ignored the testimony, and when his turn came to present a summation to the jury, he made the following speech and won the case.

thin-blue-365.jpg

Gentlemen of the Jury: The best friend a man has in the world may turn against him and become his enemy. His son or daughter that he has reared with loving care may prove ungrateful. Those who are nearest and dearest to us, those whom we trust with our happiness and our good name may become traitors to their faith. The money that a man has, he may lose. It flies away from him, perhaps when he needs it most. A man's reputation may be sacrificed in a moment of ill-considered action. The people who are prone to fall on their knees to do us honor when success is with us, may be the first to throw the stone of malice when failure settles its cloud upon our heads.

The one absolutely unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him, the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous is his dog. A man's dog stands by him in prosperity and in poverty, in health and in sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground, where the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely, if only he may be near his master's side. He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer. He will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounters with the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince. When all other friends desert, he remains. When riches take wings, and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its journey through the heavens.

If fortune drives the master forth, an outcast in the world, friendless and homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege than that of accompanying him, to guard him against danger, to fight against his enemies. And when the last scene of all comes, and death takes his master in its embrace and his body is laid away in the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there by the graveside will the noble dog be found, his head between his paws, his eyes sad, but open in alert watchfulness, faithful and true even in death.

George Graham Vest - c. 1855

I hate to break the news to you, but dogs turn on people sometimes as well.  The daughter of a family friend of ours had her face mauled by a neighbor's pitbull for no reason.  Had to be put down.  There are stories every day of how dogs bite and attack people. Just like there are bad people, there are bad dogs.  How a thread about Hill became one about dogs, I have no idea.  

23 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

D Adams was a late 2nd round guy so he was probably not thought of as elite. Maybe a solid starter.  
    Hopefully the jets can find some gems like that that become better than what we think. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Let’s stop with this building a culture BS, shall we?Their offer for Hill was accepted by the Chiefs. YOU don’t get to say they’re building a culture when you’re trading for a guy like Hill.. ?

In reality, JD and the Jets are as interested in “culture building” as the Cleveland Browns. When everything is equal, they’ll go with the Boy Scout.
When the thug woman beater or sexual abuser is the much better player? You saw today how the Jets will go.

Agree completely.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, rldev said:

It will be whoever the Steelers draft in mid round that no one heard of. Hate the team but damn can they draft receivers.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Corey Davis and John Ross were drafted top 10... And were considered top WRs by 'experts' 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

8 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

Maybe he chose Florida b/c he didn't want to get car jacked and shot at 3am heading home from the club?

I guess he prefers to be shot at at South Beach.  https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/miami-beach/article259656500.html 

Or maybe he likes street flooding from rain or high tides https://www.local10.com/news/local/2022/02/21/controversy-arising-in-miami-beach-over-raising-roads-to-combat-flooding/

And he might want to avoid buying a condo unit in the hundreds of unsafe buildings https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/unsafe-structures-in-miami-after-surfside-condo-collapse-12592271

And - oh by the way - the crime rate in Miami is much higher than NYC.https://www.bestplaces.net/crime/?city1=69600500&city2=51245000

And for the record, the Jets facility is in Morris County NJ, 40 miles from NYC and is beautiful. And the crime rate is minuscule compared to  Miami https://www.bestplaces.net/crime/?city1=53464050&city2=51245025

But Miami does have nicer weather except for spring, summer and fall......

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

22 minutes ago, choon328 said:

You're expecting that all to happen, what happens when it doesn't? How does that affect Wilson's development?

Moore missed 6 games too. The jury is still out if he can stay healthy just as much as it is for Davis. 

When you have a young QB the last thing you want to have is question marks around him. Unfortunately the Jets have a bunch.

And when the $120 million man Hill goes down with a high ankle sprain, how does that impact the Miami WR room and Tua's development? 

• Upvote 1

Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make.  Good riddance.  With his past, how do you think he is going to react to the NY media?  And while you may have loved his 26 yo self, he is now pushing toward 30.  With that fat contract, how certain are you this is going to work?

The Jets are not getting an easy way out here. They have to hit on the draft.  They need to follow the Bengals and Bills blueprint.  It is what it is.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Hill will be in and out of the lineup all year and will disappear into obscurity in miami.  The Chiefs arent dumb.  They know hill is small, getting older and has a ton of mileage on him.  They decided to get something for hill while he still had value.

So Jet fans will continue to whine and cry about it.  But some of us understand this wasnt the move to make and are super excited about the upcoming draft and the stud receivers will will take.

JD wanted this guy, his offer was accepted. The reality is, your boy has done such a dismal job the past 3 years, there is no reason for an elite player like Hill to sign here if winning is a consideration.

Your boy JD has us buried at the bottom of the AFC East, with a 3rd consecutive winless year within the division looming. 
Thank you Joe Douglas! Thank you!

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 5

47 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I call BS on this post. It is the ultimate in hindsight.   Hill was a 5th round draft pick!  Who saw him as a star?  Adams was a 2nd round pick and did not break out until his 3rd season.  He was no can't miss player.  Hopkins was picked 27th and Tavon Austin was drafted ahead of him.  It was a weak WR draft.  None of these three players were can't miss prospects. Don't tell us you can tell who from this class is a future star and who is not. Yes, the draft is a crap shoot, as Illustrated by the three players you listed. But to say that there are no WRs in this draft who will be stars is just completely wrong.   And it is also wrong to state that the stars from this draft will be evident after the 2022 season.  It takes 2-3 years.  By the time Hill and Adams and Hopkins are at the end (Hopkins is already declining.  All three will likely be average or worse by 2024) , Moore and draft pick X could be current WR stars for the Jets.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make.  Good riddance.  With his past, how do you think he is going to react to the NY media?  And while you may have loved his 26 yo self, he is now pushing toward 30.  With that fat contract, how certain are you this is going to work?

The Jets are not getting an easy way out here. They have to hit on the draft.  They need to follow the Bengals and Bills blueprint.  It is what it is.

The Bengals and Bills drafted elite QBs.

Wilson was awful last year. Unless he gets to their level, the draft isn’t going to save the Jets.

• Thumb Down 1