Tyreek Hill on the Block-Jets Involved. This is not a drill

14 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Let’s stop with this building a culture BS, shall we?

Their offer for Hill was accepted by the Chiefs. YOU don’t get to say they’re building a culture when you’re trading for a guy like Hill.. ?

In reality, JD and the Jets are as interested in “culture building” as the Cleveland Browns. When everything is equal, they’ll go with the Boy Scout. When the thug woman beater or sexual abuser is the much better player? You saw today how the Jets will go.

Yes! and this is my point. There are many things that are forgivable in this world, but Hill punching his pregnant girlfriend? Choking her? This is what many fans wanted? His talent alone and ignoring what happened specifically with HIS character? I am a bit embarrassed the Jets pursued him at all. 

• Post of the Week 2

14 hours ago, choon328 said:

What benefit was it to Hill to play the Jets? Hill could've just said he's only playing for the Dolphins and saved the Dolphins some draft assets. More then likely what happened is that the Chiefs independently shopped Hill and then when they had acceptable packages from both teams they let Hill know who they were and then he chose. 

The benefit was two fold. First it was the KC front office that told Hill's Agent to set up the trade. They need to have two teams in the bidding as the KC Front Office could torpedo the whole thing at will. Two teams in the bidding also jacks-up the money Hill ultimately receives

16 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I personally don't see an elite receiver in this draft class. Plenty of good and some very good ones, sure. Not seeing a guy that jumps out as that Tyreek Hill/Davante Adams/DeAndre Hopkins level guy.

That's probably why Douglas was on this. 

It’s funny because none of the elite receivers you mention were top ten picks anyway. Hopkins late first, Adams 2nd, and Hill fifth. It would be nice if we could find a later round superstar for a change. 

• Upvote 1

In the long run many of these afc moves will torpedo these teams.  They will not have the cap to build an entire roster-at least the dolphins and browns. 

in the short run, without some real WRs and LBs I don’t see the Jets improving their record this year.  Maybe 2023.  

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Copernicus said:

Yes! and this is my point. There are many things that are forgivable in this world, but Hill punching his pregnant girlfriend? Choking her? This is what many fans wanted? His talent alone and ignoring what happened specifically with HIS character? I am a bit embarrassed the Jets pursued him at all. 

Copernicus there was an element of defense involved in the Jets pursuit of Hill. Now they have to play him twice a year. No doubt about it Hill is a Dirtbag but Tua has a noodle arm. It should be fun to watch Hill fly by Lamarcus Joyner and the ball land on the turf 10 yards behind both of him.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Disagree to some extent as there are steps forward for bad teams, the jets got hammered many times last year, that is bad, if you lose but lose close games and are in many of them that is a step forward, eventually you have to start winning obviously but how you lose when you lose does make a difference.

Helps the young players o know the team is moving in the right direction, that there is light at the end of the tunnel and that management knows what they're doing, JDs plan is sound.  Moral victories have their place sometimes on a young rebuilding team.

1 hour ago, docdhc said:

It’s funny because none of the elite receivers you mention were top ten picks anyway. Hopkins late first, Adams 2nd, and Hill fifth. It would be nice if we could find a later round superstar for a change. 

When was the last time the Jets found a WR in the draft? Lol the last 1000 yard receiver that came from the draft was Santana Moss over 20 years ago

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, WestCoastMole said:

The benefit was two fold. First it was the KC front office that told Hill's Agent to set up the trade. They need to have two teams in the bidding as the KC Front Office could torpedo the whole thing at will. Two teams in the bidding also jacks-up the money Hill ultimately receives

12 teams were in on it and the Fins & Jets were the final 2:

Drew Rosenhaus said he had extensive talks with 12 teams, confirming it came down to Miami and Jets. Rosenhaus didn't say why Hill picked KC over the Jets, but he did praise Miami's front office, coaching staff and overall team outlook. Hill has a home in upstate Florida, he added. Rosenhaus said GM Joe Douglas was "phenomenal to deal with." Rosenhaus: "The Chiefs weren't trying to force Tyreek to one team or the other." He also confirmed the Jets' offer to KC had no bearing on Hill's decision.

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fcimini_rich.png&w=80&h=80&scale=crop
Rich Cimini, ESPN Staff Writer37m ago
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Even though I think Tyreek is a scvmbag, apparently he's loved by his teammates.  

Fellow football players only get a small say in vouching for a guy.  

OJ, Ray Lewis, Vontaze Burfict and possibly even Rae Carruth were loved by teammates too.

At least teammates hated Aaron Hernandez.  lol.

3 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

When was the last time the Jets found a WR in the draft? Lol the last 1000 yard receiver that came from the draft was Santana Moss over 20 years ago

Laverneus Coles - 2000

Jerricho Cotchery - 2004

Brad Smith (Swiss army knife) - 2006

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Laverneus Coles - 2000

Jerricho Cotchery - 2004

Brad Smith (Swiss army knife) - 2006

Brad Smith never came close to a 1000 yard season lol. And this your way of proving me wrong? Guess the Jets are a WR factory!

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

The team has also had a lot of bad GMs in that span.

The franchise choosing WRs poorly in the past isn’t a reason to avoid them in the draft.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The franchise choosing WRs poorly in the past isn’t a reason to avoid them in the draft.

We drafted Vernon Gholston in the first round in 2008, so we clearly shouldn't take an edge rusher in the first ever again!

Think About It Reaction GIF by Identity 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I agree I’m just saying the odds aren’t on our side of finding a productive WR in the draft, getting a stud like Hill wouldve been a no brainer move. I guess keep trying and hope they don’t end up like Mims or Moore (where he’s injured a majority of year)

1 hour ago, docdhc said:

We've have a hard enough time finding a 1st round superstar, lol

Elijah Moore is our current best bet

1 hour ago, WestCoastMole said:

Copernicus there was an element of defense involved in the Jets pursuit of Hill. Now they have to play him twice a year. No doubt about Hill is a Dirtbag but Tua has a noodle arm. It should be fun to watch Hill fly by Lamarcus Joyner and the ball land on the turf 10 yards behind both of him.

Thanks for the response WCM, you make a great point. Looks like Hill was focused on the money more and less on the QB that can actually reach him. 

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

I agree I’m just saying the odds aren’t on our side of finding a productive WR in the draft, getting a stud like Hill wouldve been a no brainer move. I guess keep trying and hope they don’t end up like Mims or Moore (where he’s injured a majority of year)

The odds of finding a WR in the draft are no different than any other NFL franchise at the moment.  Joe Douglas is not the Jets' history.  

Keep taking WR's until you have a great WR room.  Period.  Ideally in that Rd 2-3 sweet spot where a lot of talented WR's can be found without the 1st round bust risk.

4 hours ago, Copernicus said:

What's even worse is she married him.

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Guess we’re just gonna skip over Jerricho Cotchery 1,000 yard season in 2007?

• Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

2004. But, it wasn’t two years in when new head coach Eric Mangini turned Cotchery into a star, so Cotchery was basically another feather in Mangini’s cap.

“To say Cotchery is motivated might be an understatement. Drafted in the fourth round in 2004 out of North Carolina State, where he was a favorite target of Philip Rivers, Cotchery was touted as a budding star in each of his first two training camps by former Jets coach Herm Edwards.

But when the regular season started, Cotchery found himself buried on the depth charts.

He got significant time on special teams as a kickoff and punt returner — he ran back a kickoff 94 yards for a touchdown against St. Louis in 2004 — but didn't consistently play wide receiver until Wayne Chrebet was injured late last season.

"When a lot of people are saying how well you are doing things, and it's not reflected on the field, it's just something that makes you think," Cotchery said. "A lot of coaches say they want to give you the opportunity, but it never happens. Coach Mangini came in this year and he let everyone know that it was going to be an open competition at every position, and he held his word."

Cotchery never really gave Mangini a choice. He outperformed Justin McCareins in training camp after surprisingly adding something in the off-season: more speed.

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

“To say Cotchery is motivated might be an understatement. Drafted in the fourth round in 2004 out of North Carolina State, where he was a favorite target of Philip Rivers, Cotchery was touted as a budding star in each of his first two training camps by former Jets coach Herm Edwards.

But when the regular season started, Cotchery found himself buried on the depth charts.

He got significant time on special teams as a kickoff and punt returner — he ran back a kickoff 94 yards for a touchdown against St. Louis in 2004 — but didn't consistently play wide receiver until Wayne Chrebet was injured late last season.

"When a lot of people are saying how well you are doing things, and it's not reflected on the field, it's just something that makes you think," Cotchery said. "A lot of coaches say they want to give you the opportunity, but it never happens. Coach Mangini came in this year and he let everyone know that it was going to be an open competition at every position, and he held his word."

Cotchery never really gave Mangini a choice. He outperformed Justin McCareins in training camp after surprisingly adding something in the off-season: more speed.

C096409E-35AA-419A-9ADF-4910D1517FA0.jpeg

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

2004. But, it wasn’t two years in when new head coach Eric Mangini turned Cotchery into a star, so Cotchery was basically another feather in Mangini’s cap.

Yeah, I edited it because I meant to say Cotchery’s 2007 season, lol.  I did know he was drafted in 2004.

• Upvote 1