Sauce at 4 confirmed

16 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't know where you get the idea that Wilson is the highest paid Jets player since Sanchez, but as usual you're not even close. 

Zach Wilson received a 23.5 million dollar signing bonus last summer

You're the historian, has any Jet ever gotten 23 million dollars in one check? Maybe Sanchez? 

That's on top of his 8 mil per annum salary. Again, I'm not the expert but bonus plus salary gets him to 31 mil last year

that sounds like the highest paid Jet player ever. I threw in Sanchez just to be safe. 

• WTF? 2

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

In fairness, Revis was the best player on the field for the leagues top defense and some of top defenses in the NFL and in Jets history during his heyday .

Theres more than one way to skin a cat but I think we go EDGE if one that the Jets like is there, its more of a need on this team that corner.  

Sure, he was great for a time; I don't deny that. I just question how much his greatness mattered at that position. A great pass rusher will limit the time a QB has and can rattle him. A qb can't avoid that, whereas he can avoid 1 WR, and beat you with his other targets. I think this D scheme takes that into account fortunately.

8 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Otoh, an elite CB, that would (hopefully) prevent us from an elite WR wrecking us in a game.  And the likelihood is that if we ever make the playoffs again, that's where we'd be facing a team with an elite WR. 

It's funny since we beat teams with elite WRs while playing with an extremely young, and inexperienced backfield. Does an elite CB help? Sure. Are they necessary, particularly as the league spreads out on offense? Doesn't seem so. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Zach Wilson received a 23.5 million dollar signing bonus last summer

You're the historian, has any Jet ever gotten 23 million dollars in one check? Maybe Sanchez? 

That's on top of his 8 mil per annum salary. Again, I'm not the expert but bonus plus salary gets him to 31 mil last year

that sounds like the highest paid Jet player ever. I threw in Sanchez just to be safe. 

Your math is so far off it's hardly worth correcting, except it's one of my favorite things.

Wilson didn't get a signing bonus that high AND $8-9MM/year -- that $8-9MM is the whole thing, including the signing bonus.

The $23MM up front is subtracted from the $35.1MM contract total, and that $23.5MM paid in year 1 includes his league-minimum $660K salary. He didn't get anywhere near $8MM on top of his $22.9MM signing bonus. I don't know where you ever got the idea he did, other than just making it up. 

$35.15MM total contract value over 4 years = $8.8MM/year

Subtract $23.5MM paid in year 1 = ~$11.6MM remaining over the remaining 3 years. That's just under $4MM/year on top of his 1st year pay, not $8MM/year. 

His $35MM contract value is $8.8MM/year x 4 years. He's nowhere near the highest paid Jet ever. He's nowhere near the highest paid Jets QB, and his rookie contract is less than Sanchez's was from way back in 2009 (in total money and in $ per season) when the top QBs were still making less than half what they get today.

https://overthecap.com/player/zach-wilson/9466/

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Your math is so far off it's hardly worth correcting, except it's one of my favorite things.

Wilson didn't get a signing bonus that high AND $8-9MM/year -- that $8-9MM is the whole thing, including the signing bonus.

The $23MM up front is subtracted from the $35.1MM contract total, and that $23.5MM paid in year 1 includes his league-minimum $660K salary. He didn't get anywhere near $8MM on top of his $22.9MM signing bonus. I don't know where you ever got the idea he did, other than just making it up. 

$35.15MM total contract value over 4 years = $8.8MM/year

Subtract $23.5MM paid in year 1 = ~$11.6MM remaining over the remaining 3 years. That's just under $4MM/year on top of his 1st year pay, not $8MM/year. 

His $35MM contract value is $8.8MM/year x 4 years. He's nowhere near the highest paid Jet ever. He's nowhere near the highest paid Jets QB, and his rookie contract is less than Sanchez's was from way back in 2009 (in total money and in $ per season) when the top QBs were still making less than half what they get today.

https://overthecap.com/player/zach-wilson/9466/

Ill admit i misread the 8 mil per but you're giving me yearly averages. 

Straight up question has any other Jet player ever gotten a 23.5 million dollar check all at once?

I don't think so. 

Sanchez got 20 mil guaranteed in 2012 but that bonus was in the 10 million dollar range. Trumaine Johnson and CJ Mosely also had huge bonuses but I'll stand my ground on this - no one in NYJ history has ever gotten a single check bigger than Zach Wilson's 2021 Signing Bonus. That makes him the highest paid player in franchise history. Not by average, but by single season earnings. 

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Straight up question has any other Jet player ever gotten a 23.5 million dollar check all at once?

I don't think so. 

Sanchez got 20 mil guaranteed in 2012 but that bonus was in the 10 million dollar range. Trumaine Johnson and CJ Mosely also had huge bonuses but I'll stand my ground on this - no one in NYJ history has ever gotten a single check bigger than Zach Wilson's 2021 Signing Bonus. That makes him the highest paid player in franchise history. Not by average, but by single season earnings. 

Who cares, the semantics about this sh*t is irrelevant 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Disagree and that has nothing to do with your original comment.  The beauty is, they could address all 4 in the first 4 picks, if they so desire.

I'm  not against drafting a corner. Just not at #4 and 10. We have to give Wilson more help with an impact player at WR. I don't think we should be counting on Lawson to be the same player  so to me d-line and wide receiver have to be our 1st rd picks. I know, they're are edge rushers available later, but they all carry more question marks. 

13 hours ago, bitonti said:

I don't think so. 

No offense, but that’s ****ing stupid. It’d make as much sense as saying a family paying $3000 in rent on the first of the month means they paid $3000 just to live there for 1 day. In practice, that’d be $100/day and it’s merely paid in advance, and everyone knows this.

If Wilson quit football after his rookie season, he’ll have to pay most of that $23.5MM back to the Jets precisely because it was not payment for one season of football. If you want precedent, there’s Ricky Williams and Barry Sanders. 

• Sympathy 1

15 hours ago, Tranquilo said:

Who cares, the semantics about this sh*t is irrelevant 

You’re a vastly overpaid employee on payday, but then you get stiffed by your cheapskate boss on the 9 workdays in between paychecks. Therefore you are unpaid 90% of the time. 

Likewise in the expenses column, you pay way too much rent on the 1st of the month — but making no additional rent payments (living rent-free) for the next 29 days is somehow a separate matter. 

This is the logic I’m dealing with here.

?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

“Jets are totally and completely content with there Corner position . I would be stunned if they drafted a CB at 4 and 10” -Conner Hughes

https://twitter.com/i/spaces/1vAxRkbYpZYKl

54min mark 

As they should be considering Douglas drafted like 5 of them last year. The Jets shouldn’t be drafting any position on defense besides pass rush.

• Upvote 1