Where do you rate the Jets WR Room as of Today?

7 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Oof. Really hey. Suddenly puts Jameson Williams back on the radar I guess for round 2 if you want draw imaginary lines. 

True re:DEN but the counter is they are down draft capital as a result and you ought not to need a plethora of WRs if you have a top 3-4 QB. …they’re Minus Fant tho.

I thought the Lafleur connection with Aiyuk and his slump year without Mike would play a part - but if rolling up the club looking for dimes…. Then maybe we looking at Mike Evans, DK fire power. Still think Hollywood is a possibility. 

with the NFL being so WR crazy, im starting to think rd 2 may have only 3rd to 4th rd wrs left in it. 

5 minutes ago, derp said:

Yeah I don't think it's as important how they do it, but I think they want guys who can get loose down the field and create big plays. I'd argue Williams would've been ideal since he also can impact in the red zone but Hill's after the catch ability is key.

Fuller would be the cheapest way to tick that box but I assume he ends up in Cleveland.

It would seem like they want a guy that can do more than just tick that box of taking the top off.  

Hill was underneath, screens, take the top off, crossing nightmare.. Fit the offense perfectly. 

Williams is redzone, intermediate, deep contested catches. 

Fuller at this point, im not even sure what he offers, except going deep and even that the last few years has been meh. 

9 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

It would seem like they want a guy that can do more than just tick that box of taking the top off.  

Hill was underneath, screens, take the top off, crossing nightmare.. Fit the offense perfectly. 

Williams is redzone, intermediate, deep contested catches. 

Fuller at this point, im not even sure what he offers, except going deep and even that the last few years has been meh. 

Fuller was down last season when he had the suspension and then barely played - but the year before he had a monster year prior to getting suspended. Was 53/879/8 in 11 games. Would be 77/1279/11.6 over 16 games. Yardage would've been fourth in the league, TD's tied for fifth. Definitely wouldn't say the last few years have been meh - he absolutely misses time but big impact when he played.

I agree they probably want a more diverse skill set in an ideal world, but I'm not sure who that's going to be at this point. And absent that, the common thread is the big play ability.

We'll see what they can put together.

Maybe Lockett's a decent middle ground?

Just now, SR24 said:

Brandin Cooks, Metcalf, Mclaurin, Claypool go out and get somebody. Can't count  on a rookie WR to come in and be a WR1 this year

That just hasn't been true the last few years.

Chase, Waddle, Jefferson, A.J. Brown, Claypool, Metcalf... And a few more that have had really good seasons.

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, derp said:

he added the two TE’s so Wilson has big security blankets but he doesn’t need to add a big possession WR.

those tight ends are average tho... below average even 

which is awesome compared to who they had before but it's not like JD found a George Kittle for this offense

Zach Wilson still lacks a security blanket, someone who he can just chuck garbage to and will win the jump ball 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Joe just offered the farm outside of his 1st round picks for Hill and was prepared to drop a 100 million dollar contract on Hill...

I think i would place my bet on a trade before draft day. He's not satisfied with just "taking a WR at #10" -- so says the tea leaves.

Douglas offering that much for Hill...I would place my bet on him not being a good GM. 

11 minutes ago, bitonti said:

those tight ends are average tho... below average even 

which is awesome compared to who they had before but it's not like JD found a George Kittle for this offense

Zach Wilson still lacks a security blanket, someone who he can just chuck garbage to and will win the jump ball 

They're average, there are two of them, and I think the security blanket WR is overrated these days. Ergo, the tight ends.

2 minutes ago, derp said:

They're average, there are two of them, and I think the security blanket WR is overrated these days. Ergo, the tight ends.

Tyler Blocklin is a below average receiver

CJ Osumah is only OK as a receiver 

both of these guys are good if not great run blockers 

The Jets WR room doesn't have anyone who can win a jump ball. Corey Davis might have a 3 inch vertical leap 

40 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

with the NFL being so WR crazy, im starting to think rd 2 may have only 3rd to 4th rd wrs left in it. 

Don't see Watson making it to round 2 like I said a few weeks ago. Especially with the Chiefs I'm sure wanting to restock WR with a cheaper option. A guy like Pierce I think may even get overdrafted because of the athleticism, even if he's kind of a one-trick at this point in my opinion. Someone like Bell who tested poorly but was productive and is an underdraft candidate I feel is interesting to see where he lands.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Tyler Blocklin is a below average receiver

CJ Osumah is only OK as a receiver 

both of these guys are good if not great run blockers 

The Jets WR room doesn't have anyone who can win a jump ball. Corey Davis might have a 3 inch vertical leap 

They were middle of the pack among NFL tight ends receiving wise and neither is a liability as a run blocker. Ergo, average. 

Jump balls in the NFL with illegal contact rule enforcement are like post offense in basketball. It's an inefficient source of offense and dying. Find guys who can get open, it's easier now than it's ever been.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Who cares about the WR room look in March 

I presume our GM does, as his opinions today will inform his actions in the future, including in the draft.  

I presume our QB does, as he needs (and likely wants) all the help he can get to succeed in 2022.

And clearly many posters do, as evidenced by this thread's 3 pages of replies so far in a short period.

And clearly you did, enough to come into the thread, and post in it.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, football guy said:

Clearly WR is a priority. It will ultimately get addressed within the top 38 picks 

You think this guarantees a WR with one of our first two picks or may there be another trade target on the horizon?

39 minutes ago, nycdan said:

That just hasn't been true the last few years.

Chase, Waddle, Jefferson, A.J. Brown, Claypool, Metcalf... And a few more that have had really good seasons.

Sure there's been a few guys that have come on strong as rookies but banking on a rookie who's never touched and NFL field to come in and be your WR1 is a big gamble. Hopefully we can end up with someone like the guys you listed, but we can also end up with a guy like Ruggs, Corey Coleman, John Ross, etc 

1 hour ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I mean we've said it for months in the draft forum.. This was my case for Wiliams being the best fit for the Jets this year in this draft because of what he could do to open up other players on the offense.  We'll see though, a lot of different styles of guys they have looked at. 

Williams is a big box out player with a huge catch radius.  Hill is just an absolute burner and dangerous on underneath stuff.  Can point to a few guys in the the draft but we'll see what opens up here in FA. There will be more trades to come, its just the nature of this offseason. 

My problem with this is Williams has not demonstrated the ability to perform the other 40% of the WR’s job. He’s electric when given free release and runs posts and corners all day - but that’s a mighty big leap to assume he’ll be as dynamic as Hill who has better short area quickness and has been able to “get off his man” 

Not saying YOU said he’s as good as Hill, but look around - some posters are talking #10 overall/generational/make the damn pick when it comes to Jameson Williams. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, derp said:

Jump balls in the NFL with illegal contact rule enforcement are like post offense in basketball. It's an inefficient source of offense and dying. Find guys who can get open, it's easier now than it's ever been.

the problem that no one wants to talk about is that Zach Wilson isn't actually all that accurate. 

If they had gotten Tyreek Hill, his accuracy would be tested. They need a guy who can reach behind his head on crossers and make Wilson look good. 

6 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Sure there's been a few guys that have come on strong as rookies but banking on a rookie who's never touched and NFL field to come in and be your WR1 is a big gamble.

Perhaps JD doesn't see it as a gamble, because he's not feeling pressure to win in 2022, and is building for the long term.

Not saying I would like that, or even that I think it's the case, but it could be true.

He may believe he has time to work with, and that the best route is the draft, even if that player may not be lights out as a rookie.

6 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Hopefully we can end up with someone like the guys you listed, but we can also end up with a guy like Ruggs, Corey Coleman, John Ross, etc 

Henry Ruggs III, the ex-Raider?  The drunk who burned alive that young girl and her dog to death in his DUI event?

I don't think he'll be signing with us any time soon.  Or anywhere else, if the courts get their say and get one right for a change.

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

My problem with this is Williams has not demonstrated the ability to perform the other 40% of the WR’s job. He’s electric when given free release and runs posts and corners all day - but that’s a mighty big leap to assume he’ll be as dynamic as Hill who has better short area quickness and has been able to “get off his man” 

Not saying YOU said he’s as good as Hill, but look around - some posters are talking #10 overall/generational/make the damn pick when it comes to Jameson Williams. 

I think all the draft forum regulars get frustrated when the rest of the board goes into draft mode.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

the problem that no one wants to talk about is that Zach Wilson isn't actually all that accurate. 

If they had gotten Tyreek Hill, his accuracy would be tested. They need a guy who can reach behind his head on crossers and make Wilson look good. 

I agree Wilson’s accuracy is overrated and still stand by jump ball receivers being overrated.

• Upvote 1

the wr's as a group seem to be average.  but i think if the te's and rb's are factored in then it looks a lot better.  the biggest issue will be keeping them all on the field for the 17 games.  they really need to grab a wr in the draft.  tyreek was a fifth rounder.  kupp was a thrid rounder.  it's about time for the jets to hit a homer with the 3rd pick or later.

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Why does it matter? That won't be the WR room when it's time to play games.

Exactly.  Considering what the rumors are on the original offer from the Jets for Hill, I'd have to assume JD is working some other channels.  He clearly knows WR is gap.  At this point I wouldnt be surprised if the Jets did pull of a trade for a veteran WR but even if they dont, they're going to sign a veteran and draft a WR, if not both of each before the season starts.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Perhaps JD doesn't see it as a gamble, because he's not feeling pressure to win in 2022, and is building for the long term.

Not saying I would like that, or even that I think it's the case, but it could be true.

He may believe he has time to work with, and that the best route is the draft, even if that player may not be lights out as a rookie.

Henry Ruggs III, the ex-Raider?  The drunk who burned alive that young girl and her dog to death in his DUI event?

I don't think he'll be signing with us any time soon.  Or anywhere else, if the courts get their say and get one right for a change.

My point was you don't really ever know what you're getting in the draft. Raiders made Ruggs the first WR taken and a year later he's out of the league. Drafts just the ultimate crapshoot imo especially at WR 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I believe Ruggs was included as part of a list of former first round WR’s who didn’t make an impact their rookie years.

If the mentality is “the Jets need a WR *rightnow*” then rookies are hit or miss for that. The old attitude used to be that it took time for WR’s to develop and while that’s not longer true and rookies can be stats, rookies can be duds too.

It’s a long term issue too, if the roster is structured appropriately then they can see if the guy hits and not be in trouble if he doesn’t. They’re probably close to that but not quite there.

Yeah I think JD is being patient but willing to take a swing, though a rookie could always do well. In a call today with a lot of the Jets beat they said that they believe Garrett Wilson would put up 800 yards at worst as a rookie, and this is probably based on something legit. Ya never know though.

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

1 minute ago, SR24 said:

My point was you don't really ever know what you're getting in the draft. Raiders made Ruggs the first WR taken and a year later he's out of the league. Drafts just the ultimate crapshoot imo especially at WR 

Ah, re-reading it I think I misunderstood what you were saying. 

Mea Culpa on that one, what sounded like "I want Ruggs" at first read is clearly NOT that at all on second reading.

My bad, 100%.

19 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I presume our GM does, as his opinions today will inform his actions in the future, including in the draft.  

I presume our QB does, as he needs (and likely wants) all the help he can get to succeed in 2022.

And clearly many posters do, as evidenced by this thread's 3 pages of replies so far in a short period.

And clearly you did, enough to come into the thread, and post in it.

I also presume our GM, like all GMs has a plan.  One that fans arent privy to.

No I came here to comment that its too early to complain about the WR room.  That this isnt the room we will have in September 

2 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Exactly.  Considering what the rumors are on the original offer from the Jets for Hill, I'd have to assume JD is working some other channels.  He clearly knows WR is gap.  At this point I wouldnt be surprised if the Jets did pull of a trade for a veteran WR but even if they dont, they're going to sign a veteran and draft a WR, if not both of each before the season starts.

I get the logic, but I don't think it is necessarily the case.  They keep talking about playmakers.  Hill is certainly up there as a playmaker.  He may have seen this as the unique opportunity it was.  I guess they know they need monsters, but might not care that much to upgrade from to a guy like Woods who would still be a huge upgrade.