Where do you rate the Jets WR Room as of Today?

Warfish

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Apparently the Jets dont agree with you.  They also know there still is a draft and that they'll have a number of choices.  If they like the idea of picking one of a few in the the draft, are already set on one of those, as opposed to spending picks, cash or both on a WR who knows.

The point still stands, we're 6 months away from the start of the season.  We have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds of the draft.  Im not bitching about the WR room because we didnt get Hill like some 

C’mon nut. The Jets just offered a package of high draft picks for the chance to pay Hill $150,000,000 this afternoon, and you’re saying “apparently they don’t agree with me?”

28 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I love the WR room right now.  Davis and Moore on the outside with berrios in the slot.  Uzomah and Conky working the middle and Michael Carter out of the backfield.

Add in Garret Wilson/Drake London at 10.  Mcbride at 35 and Breece Hall at 38.

Weapons galore for Zach Wilson in 2022!

Big Breece Hall fan… agree with overall plan.  I think high end RB addition jumps up in priority since we didn’t add a playmaker WR in Free Agency.  Personally I think we can wait on tight end and instead grab another receiver to improve odds of picking up talent long term at the position.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Grandy said:

You think this guarantees a WR with one of our first two picks or may there be another trade target on the horizon?

No. I had heard dating back to offseason prep meetings that the Jets ideally wanted to trade for a WR (Ridley was the primary target) because there wasn't necessarily a WR worthy of a top 10 pick this year. I don't see why much would have changed. 

My best guess? Trade up from 35 if they don't trade down from 10. It's also not outside the realm of possibility they just wait until round 2 depending how they ultimately rank them. Christian Watson has been heavily associated with the Jets, as has Jahan Dotson and Drake London. Garrett Wilson is a logical fit based on style but haven't heard him directly connected yet. There are a number of guys who make sense on day 2 as well. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, football guy said:

No. I had heard dating back to offseason prep meetings that the Jets ideally wanted to trade for a WR (Ridley was the primary target) because there wasn't necessarily a WR worthy of a top 10 pick this year. I don't see why much would have changed. 

My best guess? Trade up from 35 if they don't trade down from 10. It's also not outside the realm of possibility they just wait until round 2 depending how they ultimately rank them. Christian Watson has been heavily associated with the Jets, as has Jahan Dotson and Drake London. Garrett Wilson is a logical fit based on style but haven't heard him directly connected yet. There are a number of guys who make sense on day 2 as well. 

So many good options.  We might even get 2 WRs early.  This is going to be awesome!

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

So many good options.  We might even get 2 WRs early.  This is going to be awesome!

I would really like to see us grab 2. Whether it's Garrett Wilson + Christian Watson or Drake London + Jahan Dotson/Skyy Moore, it would be really fun to see them just load the offense with young pass catching talent. 

• Upvote 2

Guys………don’t worry about the WR situation. Someone ALWAYS shakes loose later on or during TCs. Don’t you recall how we acquired our receptions leader WR in 2017? 

E6D9BF5C-61CB-4B37-8623-B3FFF8A0AAE1.thumb.jpeg.da9157a67022b9dc499b46350e1492d3.jpeg

Jermaine Kearse was acquired WITH A 2018 2nd round pick! as late as Sept 1st for the MERE pittance of Sheldon Richardson, lol!

JD will find us a WR1 by the first whistle of the season opener. 😁

1 minute ago, football guy said:

I would really like to see us grab 2. Whether it's Garrett Wilson + Christian Watson or Drake London + Jahan Dotson/Skyy Moore, it would be really fun to see them just load the offense with young pass catching talent. 

So may options to get good, young receivers.  This is going to be a heck of an offense with all these young, talented cats out there.  We have a chance to build this into an absolute monster.  Cant wait!

It could be better. The real question is whether Corey Davis can improve. Most feel he can’t/won’t and I agree. He’s a solid WR2 like Decker was to Marshall in ‘15, not the WR1 he was signed to be in ‘14. Davis is the same movie. 

It can be either through draft, trade, or TC cuts, JD will come up with something. So far he has shown that he WILL address the holes that are apparent; whether it’s up to all Jets fans’ expectations? Unlikely. Lol 

• Upvote 1

Hello! The jets want to RUN the ball! Look at SF in 2021. Jimmy G made 30 or LESS pass ATTEMPTS in 10 games with a 7-3 record. In 5 games he made more than 30 pass attempts going 2-3.

if the Jets have their O line right, they’ll be running the ball, and they won’t need 3 really good WRs for the 15 or so targets for WRs during the game because a bunch of targets will be going to the RBs and TEs, and there isn’t a world where JD wants a roomful of high end WRs who want to be paid.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

C’mon nut. The Jets just offered a package of high draft picks for the chance to pay Hill $150,000,000 this afternoon, and you’re saying “apparently they don’t agree with me?”

That there arent going to be any other opportunities to improve the room?

Yeah, they totally dont agree with you and today proved that they dont.

Or dont you know what youre even arguing about 14?  I simply said, have said and will say, the WR room today isnt the one that we will see in Sept, that the offseason isnt over and with the draft etc there will be opportunities to add to whats here.  But do argue that 

Brutal watching the fins building a far superior team than joe is building 

they are better at almost every position- tua is a question but Wilson is too so I will call that a wash 

i think they bills win 12 the fins win 10 the pats win 6 and the jets win 3-4

i know the draft still has to happen but other teams draft too

Joe supporters already talking about how this year not to expect much

at what point can we expect to win ?

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Warfish said:

A thread asking to rate a unit as it exists now is a method of evaluating how we feel about the unit as it exists now, with the draft and camp cuts still ahead of us to foster conversation.  

Someone as deeply desperate to trade for Hill today as yourself sounds like a serious hypocrite complaining about this thread. 

Clearly and unquestionably, YOU wanted to add to this group yourself, a not-even-close-to-tacit complaint about this unfinished product.  Why is your pining for Hill different? 

Right, it isn't.  You just skipped the "evaluate what we have" and went strait to "trade all the things for Hill".

So while you may have refused to engage in this thread, you clearly and unquestionably do not rank our existing unit very high and feel it needs more.

But instead of just saying that, you had to be a dick about it.

As you said, to each their own.  

LOL get over yourself. The most insufferable windbag on this site.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

44 minutes ago, kmnj said:

they are better at almost every position- tua is a question but Wilson is too so I will call that a wash 

That’s not true at all, they are not better at every position.

10 hours ago, football guy said:

On Daniel Jeremiah's podcast he was saying that with how much WRs get paid now (like QB's from 10 years ago), plus the value they bring back in trades, he (or maybe it was his guest) said he could see 6-7 WRs going in the 1st round.  I think he even said "before KC picks in round 1".   One of them also said they definitely see Jameson Williams getting taken in the 1st.

Based on that, I'm not sure the Jets will have the luxury to wait until round 2 for a WR (which is what I was hoping for too).  Otoh, maybe JD decides to take advantage of that by taking better players of whatever is left over and trying to hit a homerun later in the draft with a WR.  Heck, he can still take a quality TE to improve the passing game.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kmnj said:

If the Jets win three or four games, they either clean house or open the 2023 season sitting on a broiler. I’m a Joe supporter, and I’ll be disappointed with anything less than 7-9-1. So I guess I’d also tell you not to expect too much, but I do expect more. More points, more wins. 

I get the frustration, but outside of Cooper, it seems like all of these big WR moves were dictated by the player. And, shockingly, the Jets aren’t a desired destination. For some reason, players don’t want to come to the cold to pay high taxes and lose. It’s hard to turn the culture around in one or two years, especially when the team is pretty barren talent-wise. People are critical of his draft centric approach, but when you’re running a laughingstock franchise, it’s hard to acquire top talent otherwise. The Catch-22 being that it’s hard to stop being a laughingstock when you can’t get talent. The Jets have tried overpaying players who really didn’t want to be here before, and I have yet to see it work. The Jets have more draft capital this year than any other team in the league. Joe needs to build on last year’s draft. If Becton comes back looking like the player he could be as a rookie and Mims contributes anything, that first draft no longer looks so bad. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Hello! The jets want to RUN the ball! Look at SF in 2021. Jimmy G made 30 or LESS pass ATTEMPTS in 10 games with a 7-3 record. In 5 games he made more than 30 pass attempts going 2-3.

if the Jets have their O line right, they’ll be running the ball, and they won’t need 3 really good WRs for the 15 or so targets for WRs during the game because a bunch of targets will be going to the RBs and TEs, and there isn’t a world where JD wants a roomful of high end WRs who want to be paid.

I agree that the Jets want to be a run first team. But we will still likely play 11 personnel 50-70% of the time. Having good WRs prevents defenses from crowding the line of scrimmage.

Maybe we don’t need a Hill caliber player to accomplish that but what we have now is not scaring anyone. Teams will be shooting through gaps without fear.

The FO and CS obviously feel we need a WR. We’ve called about Cooper, Ridley and now Hill.

11 hours ago, football guy said:

I’d say two main things have changed. First, they so far haven’t been able to trade for a WR, and John Schneider is afraid to take his calls. Second, the WR market has exploded to the point where the top guys are making more than Edges. If he wants a top talent, at an inexpensive price, the draft is the only way to get one. 

I was certainly hoping for that big trade, too, but sending five picks for the right to pay Tyreek Hill $30M on his 30th (thru 34th) birthday gives me a little pause. I’d still like to see a pre-draft upgrade, but the options are dwindling. While I don’t love the WR room as it stands, it is better than anything we’ve seen around here since Marshall and Decker. I feel that adding two solid (if unspectacular) TEs eases a significant amount of pressure on the WRs. I expect a lot more 12 and 21 personnel, more rushing of the football, and fewer three-WR sets. I expect help at WR in the draft, and I expect help at the RB and TE positions, too. 

It’s about the whole offense for me. We had four rookie starters on offense last year, this year they’re second year players. The rookie coaches need to be better in their second years. The OL should definitely be better with some continuity, an upgrade, and a full year in the system. There’s certainly a ton of pressure on Zach, but I like the way they’re trying to ease that by giving him bigger targets in the passing game and better blocking all around. 

All that said, waiting until the second round for a WR would be a big mistake. They should really be taking one by that #10 pick. Not too concerned about reaching over a safety or LB or DT or OL to do that; not when the top guys are getting paid better than some good QBs. WR is a premium position, and needs to be addressed as such. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

57 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

That’s not true at all, they are not better at every position.

I said qbs are a wash

their wr core is better, their rb core is better their tight end is better-their line is better-their defense was nasty last year and got better.

It pains me but I would swap rosters in a heartbeat and the difference is growing.

Joe best nail the draft in a big way for us to be competitive -cant lose every game in the division again especially when the AFC west is crazy good

29 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

I agree that the Jets want to be a run first team. But we will still likely play 11 personnel 50-70% of the time. Having good WRs prevents defenses from crowding the line of scrimmage.

Maybe we don’t need a Hill caliber player to accomplish that but what we have now is not scaring anyone. Teams will be shooting through gaps without fear.

The FO and CS obviously feel we need a WR. We’ve called about Cooper, Ridley and now Hill.

I agree with you, but the fact is the Jets would not pay the price to get those guys. Why? Because high end WR is not a featured position in the Offense. Linemen and a cadre of RBs are more important to the system then great WR play. Also, I do believe that the calls into the WRs you mentioned are part of the plan to be done with Davis in 2023. 

11 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I keep reading how the jets are following the niners model -  and are run first -the 9ers have 3 guys that are good for about 1000 wr yards per guy-two of them being young very talented WRS one has about 1500 yards the other near 1000 

well to do that you need to have the same caliber of players and just because our coach ran their d for a short period of time it does not mean he can coach as well-see the list of fallen leaves from the BB tree

The Niners have

a stud young RB  in Mitchell

an elite guy in debo who is near 1500 wr yards who also is lethal out of the backfield

a very good young gun in BA at WR who is near 1000 rec yards

an elite TE in Kittle a 1000 rec yard tight end 

a great full back

and their D is high end defense that can rush the passer

9 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

On Daniel Jeremiah's podcast he was saying that with how much WRs get paid now (like QB's from 10 years ago), plus the value they bring back in trades, he (or maybe it was his guest) said he could see 6-7 WRs going in the 1st round.  I think he even said "before KC picks in round 1".   One of them also said they definitely see Jameson Williams getting taken in the 1st.

Based on that, I'm not sure the Jets will have the luxury to wait until round 2 for a WR (which is what I was hoping for too).  Otoh, maybe JD decides to take advantage of that by taking better players of whatever is left over and trying to hit a homerun later in the draft with a WR.  Heck, he can still take a quality TE to improve the passing game.

8 hours ago, slats said:

I’d say two main things have changed. First, they so far haven’t been able to trade for a WR, and John Schneider is afraid to take his calls. Second, the WR market has exploded to the point where the top guys are making more than Edges. If he wants a top talent, at an inexpensive price, the draft is the only way to get one. 

I was certainly hoping for that big trade, too, but sending five picks for the right to pay Tyreek Hill $30M on his 30th (thru 34th) birthday gives me a little pause. I’d still like to see a pre-draft upgrade, but the options are dwindling. While I don’t love the WR room as it stands, it is better than anything we’ve seen around here since Marshall and Decker. I feel that adding two solid (if unspectacular) TEs eases a significant amount of pressure on the WRs. I expect a lot more 12 and 21 personnel, more rushing of the football, and fewer three-WR sets. I expect help at WR in the draft, and I expect help at the RB and TE positions, too. 

It’s about the whole offense for me. We had four rookie starters on offense last year, this year they’re second year players. The rookie coaches need to be better in their second years. The OL should definitely be better with some continuity, an upgrade, and a full year in the system. There’s certainly a ton of pressure on Zach, but I like the way they’re trying to ease that by giving him bigger targets in the passing game and better blocking all around. 

All that said, waiting until the second round for a WR would be a big mistake. They should really be taking one by that #10 pick. Not too concerned about reaching over a safety or LB or DT or OL to do that; not when the top guys are getting paid better than some good QBs. WR is a premium position, and needs to be addressed as such. 

I absolutely think both these are possible. The question I have is whether Joe would feel more inclined to take a WR at 10 or trade up from 35 to take one in the top 22 picks. Many teams would line up for a package that contains a combination of 35/38/69. Still, I'm going to say that I think it's more likely the Jets trade down from #10 or trade up from #35 to select a WR than staying put at #10 to take one. I can very well be wrong but just the sense I have. 

Ultimately, I expect they will explore trading down from #4 or #10, and if unsuccessful, move up from #35 to somewhere between #14-26 and select a WR then. 

• Upvote 3

@Mogglez and @football guy

Are AJ Brown or Terry McLaurin possibilities? I feel like it's wishful thinking, but there have been a ton of crazy trades so far and I'm curious if either of you hear/have heard that we're actively pursuing either one.

And is it crazy to say Christian Watson @ 10? As much as I respect Garrett Wilson as prospect, I feel like Watson has the highest ceiling of anyone after his combine and stellar week in Mobile. Right now it feels like a reach, but that dude tested off the charts. 

I don't know, talk some sense into me - starting to get desperate for WR help. 

• Confused 1

Davis and Moore combined to miss 14 games last season.   So where 's that high volume go-to receiver for ZW?   I don't think Berrios is the plan for that role either.

Mims...😖

This WR unit needs another decent productive veteran to be added.   JD can still get this accomplished before or on draft day.

Drake London caught 88 balls in just 8 games for a high end program at USC.  DBs couldn't handle him.  IMO he's a  strong candidate in this draft class that can fill that high volume receiver role...that Zach sorely needs.  A  big strong Boss type wideout, that can dominate DBs.  Give them problems the way a big TE can do.  And be another threat in the endzone.  Rumors are the Jets are in love with London.  So I hope JD takes him at 10. 

Also there's the possibility that Garrett Wilson could be taken there too.  If Jets trade down...maybe they want Jameson Williams if he's still available.  All three of these wideouts have the potential to be #1 type WRs.  

Zach Wilson only threw 9 TDs last season.  JD-Saleh need to focus on getting Zach up to 20+ TDs speed...now...this upcoming season.  To have some success and put more points on the scoreboard. 

Whatever is going to happen...I hope JD simply takes the highest rated wideout on his board.  Whoever that may be.  

Do it JD...por favor.  

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, kmnj said:

If we win 3-4 games the reset button gets hit again, and they all go. It means Wilson is a total bust also.

C.... between 20th and 32nd.. we need at least 2 more playmakers to elevate this group to a B+. We have no number one, a solid 2a and 2b ... and a ghost.

I'm coming around to the idea of

Wilson st 4,
London at 10

... and I was an edge, wr. ol, te guy originally.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2022 at 10:03 PM, football guy said:

We’ll it worked so well with Mims, why Wouldn’t JD try it again….

Ill be honest, I’m beginning to think JD is just a poor judge of WR talent, given the net sum of his WR decisions since he arrived here.

15 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

@Mogglez and @football guy

Are AJ Brown or Terry McLaurin possibilities? I feel like it's wishful thinking, but there have been a ton of crazy trades so far and I'm curious if either of you hear/have heard that we're actively pursuing either one.

And is it crazy to say Christian Watson @ 10? As much as I respect Garrett Wilson as prospect, I feel like Watson has the highest ceiling of anyone after his combine and stellar week in Mobile. Right now it feels like a reach, but that dude tested off the charts. 

I don't know, talk some sense into me - starting to get desperate for WR help. 

What?!?!

Watson is a take in the 2nd or 3rd - NOT 1st round or top 10!! He played at South Dakota St - weak competition where he was on the Stacked Titan of a team ( Bison) in that conference and football level. 

No Way at 10!! I think your beard needs a trim, it’s wrapping around your neck & choking the oxygen to the brain 😉lol jk

• Upvote 1

It’s not the greatest group of WR’s in the world, but that is still a good group of players for any competent QB to work with. The wildcard is Mims if he can overcome his issues from last season and the coaches find ways to get him the ball he could make this group look a lot better. Of course Moore has the highest ceiling of all the guys. 

• Upvote 1