Where do you rate the Jets WR Room as of Today?

18 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

What tight ends? Uzomah? Dude is about as average as it gets. We’re so bad that we actually look at Uzomah as a good thing, pathetic

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I literally opened the post with "They're average". No clue why you felt the need to quote me to reiterate that but make it seem like I said something else.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, football guy said:

I don't think so this year, but I get the sense a lot of teams are going to copy GB and KC if it works out for them. WR is arguably the deepest college pipeline right now and should be for the foreseeable future, but teams with young QBs are going to pay the premium for proven WR talent 

As far as Watson, 10 feels high. I do think he ultimately goes much higher than expected. 

He's not known to be a great identifier of WR talent. He likes big guys but a lot of "his guys" haven't worked out. Elijah Moore was all the coaching staff, but it sounds like JD and his personnel execs are buying into what LaFleur is selling at WR

I wanted CD ? and this year I want Garett Wilson !! I hope he is the pick over London 

On 3/24/2022 at 9:53 AM, Sonny Werblin said:

I agree with you, but the fact is the Jets would not pay the price to get those guys. Why? Because high end WR is not a featured position in the Offense. Linemen and a cadre of RBs are more important to the system then great WR play. Also, I do believe that the calls into the WRs you mentioned are part of the plan to be done with Davis in 2023. 

Joe was willing to give up two top 40 picks, a high third rounder and pay $30mm a year for a 28 year old WR.

I think he considers this a featured position.

Right now the #1 RB is a 4th round pick and no effort whatsoever to sign a high end RB.

13 hours ago, Warfish said:

We’ll it worked so well with Mims, why Wouldn’t JD try it again….

Ill be honest, I’m beginning to think JD is just a poor judge of WR talent, given the net sum of his WR decisions since he arrived here.

Oddly I think the receiving core is better now than it was when Joe arrived.  Davis is a high end #2 and is being paid that way.  Elijah looks like he could be very good.  Braxton appears to be a contributor in the slot and as a returner.  The core could use upgrading but beats Enunwa/Robbie or Kearse/Robbie duos in Sams first couple of seasons.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Joe was willing to give up two top 40 picks, a high third rounder and pay $30mm a year for a 28 year old WR.

I think he considers this a featured position.

Right now the #1 RB is a 4th round pick and no effort whatsoever to sign a high end RB.

I didn’t say #1 or high end RB. I said a “cadre of RBs”.

1 hour ago, jNYC1 said:

Oddly I think the receiving core is better now than it was when Joe arrived.

Shouldn't that be a given for a GM entering his fourth year who inherited a near-talentless roster?

1 hour ago, jNYC1 said:

Davis is a high end #2 and is being paid that way.  Elijah looks like he could be very good.  Braxton appears to be a contributor in the slot and as a returner.  The core could use upgrading but beats Enunwa/Robbie or Kearse/Robbie duos in Sams first couple of seasons.

Don't disagree.

With that said, it's a bottom 5 or bottom 10 at best unit, league wide.  It's not good enough.  

I remain hopeful we draft a guy at #10 to play WR and another TE sometime before the draft is over.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Shouldn't that be a given for a GM entering his fourth year who inherited a near-talentless roster?

You consistently make this point but fail to note he was signed after the draft and free agency. He's had 2 drafts and free agency periods, and one of those with Saleh.

3 hours ago, Jdub03 said:

You consistently make this point but fail to note he was signed after the draft and free agency. He's had 2 drafts and free agency periods, and one of those with Saleh.

Does that make any difference to the point being made?

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Does that make any difference to the point being made?

It does, because the interference behind the comments indicates you believe the roster should be farther along then it is. This has been a consistent comment in other threads. Which is fine if the context is 2 years in instead of 3. We may disagree, but that is fine.

2 hours ago, Jdub03 said:

It does, because the interference behind the comments indicates you believe the roster should be farther along then it is.

Yes.

2 hours ago, Jdub03 said:

This has been a consistent comment in other threads. Which is fine if the context is 2 years in instead of 3. We may disagree, but that is fine.

This is his third FA period now mostly in the rearview, and his upcoming third draft.  And his fourth camp and camp cuts, and his fourth season of games.

That's enough time for the issue here to which you quoted, i.e. the receiving core being better than he arrived. 

In point of fact, I'd expect it to be better after 1 year. Much less three/four.  He's missed on almost every WR decision he's made, outside (TBD) Elijah Moore.

Perhaps your patience is endless for last place finishes and dead last rankings, but mine isn't.  

• Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, Jdub03 said:

Please tell us when we can safely evaluate JD then.   When can I refer to the actual win/loss record as a reflection upon JD?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Please tell us when we can safely evaluate JD then.   When can I refer to the actual win/loss record as a reflection upon JD?

I think the team needs to be noticeably better this year.  Certainly wins and losses matter but more importantly is a team that looks like it belongs on an NFL field.

For the past two years we haven't seen that.

I've been patient with Douglas and on board with his overall plan - But yes, wins and losses should matter this year.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yes.

This is his third FA period now mostly in the rearview, and his upcoming third draft.  And his fourth camp and camp cuts, and his fourth season of games.

That's enough time for the issue here to which you quoted, i.e. the receiving core being better than he arrived. 

In point of fact, I'd expect it to be better after 1 year. Much less three/four.  He's missed on almost every WR decision he's made, outside (TBD) Elijah Moore.

Perhaps your patience is endless for last place finishes and dead last rankings, but mine isn't.  

My patience isn't endless, more like realistic. The #1 priority coming in was to improve the Oline, which he stated and has. Yes, the WR room isn't complete yet, but I expect improvement in the draft and/or trade market. Moore and Davis are starting caliber player, and Berrios is a good rotational / gadget guy.  Ideally, I'd like to swing a trade for a known quantity, and draft a high upside guy, but I'm also open to drafting 2 guys.

2 minutes ago, Jdub03 said:

Ideally, I'd like to swing a trade for a known quantity, and draft a high upside guy, but I'm also open to drafting 2 guys.

If the meida can be trsuted, he swung.  And swung. And missed.

Agreed on the drafting 2 guys.  Hopefully Moore-types, not Mims-types.

• WTF? 1

9 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I never said it wasn't fair to evaluate JD for his job thus far. I simply stated he should be judged on 2 years thus far, not 3. However, a GM is trying to aquire players that fit the vision/system of his coaching staff. We harp on the 2020 draft class, which looked better when playing in Gases system, as opposed to MLF/Saleh's. The 2021 class has looked good thus far, but it's still a TBD. My expectation is to see a 7-9 win team in 2022 if we draft well again, and the player improve in the system. However, we don't have our roster finalized, so I'll wait until post draft to lock in my projection.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If the meida can be trsuted, he swung.  And swung. And missed.

Agreed on the drafting 2 guys.  Hopefully Moore-types, not Mims-types.

The player chose another destination, it happens. The issue I have with Mims is not his talent, it's the mental side. In my opinion taking a high upside player is less risky if they have the right mental make up. This is one of Mims issues. I don't see that ssue with Watson, so I would take a shot on him.

• Upvote 1

On 3/24/2022 at 8:21 AM, UntouchableCrew said:

LOL get over yourself. The most insufferable windbag on this site.

Whats the matter, you didnt want to participate in the lets ask what people think about our WR room right after we missed out on Hill to read all the negative comments before the draft, before the 2nd round of FA and 6 months before the start of the season?  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Jdub03 said:

The player chose another destination, it happens.

A miss is a miss, mate.  Every miss has reasons, it doesn't make it any less of a miss.  

The issue I have with Mims is not his talent, it's the mental side. In my opinion taking a high upside player is less risky if they have the right mental make up. This is one of Mims issues.

Clearly, from what we've seen to-date.  My views on Mims are well documented, not going to repat them yet again now.  Suffice to say I give him 2022 as a final year here to show us he's something other than trash

I don't see that ssue with Watson, so I would take a shot on him.

Not the guy I'd take, too risky, too workout warrior for me.  All supposed 'upside" backed by very little reality in his resume.  Also, not going to help Wilson day 1, which Wilson needs, badly.

Wilson is my guy, all day long.  But I can respect a desire for Watson and the promise of upside.

• Sympathy 1

31 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I think the team needs to be noticeably better this year.  Certainly wins and losses matter but more importantly is a team that looks like it belongs on an NFL field.

For the past two years we haven't seen that.

I've been patient with Douglas and on board with his overall plan - But yes, wins and losses should matter this year.

Well said Fid.

• Upvote 1

On 3/23/2022 at 4:57 PM, Warfish said:

Davis #1

Moore #2

Berrios #3

Mims #4

And some hang-around-camp type guys after that for the most part.

We (as a population) seem split on WR in the first this draft, or in some cases, at all.

In FA we keep getting reported as "interested" in name guys but have not signed anyone of consequence.

So as of today, knowing the Draft is still to come, where would you rank the Jets WR Room in terms of the NFL?

Or put differently, how many WR rooms do you think are worse, today, than the Jets?

WR1: Moore

WR2: Davis

WR3: Berrios

WR4: Draft pick

If they get one of the top 8 WR's in this draft at 35 or 38 they're in good shape now that they don't have a couple of corpses at TE.

On 3/25/2022 at 11:26 AM, Snell41 said:

What tight ends? Uzomah? Dude is about as average as it gets. We’re so bad that we actually look at Uzomah as a good thing, pathetic

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

We gave a mediocre tight end a 3 year $24 million deal.  That’s how much we have to overpay people to come here

On 3/25/2022 at 11:06 PM, Warfish said:

Don't disagree.

With that said, it's a bottom 5 or bottom 10 at best unit, league wide.  It's not good enough.  

I remain hopeful we draft a guy at #10 to play WR and another TE sometime before the draft is over.

I disagree. The Jets receiving corps is better than:

Atlanta, Chicago, Detroit, GB, Houston, Indy, Jags, NE, 

And on par with:

Arizona, Baltimore, Carolina, Cleveland,  NO, Philly, Wash, 

And not far from or arguably comparable to

Dallas, MInn , Pitt. Tenn

They are squarely in the middle of the pack.  

2 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

And on par with:

Correct. This WR corps is mediocre at best with everyone healthy

If anyone gets injured it’s the 2020 sh tshow again

9 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

And on par with:

That seems optimistic, but ok, fair enough.

Do you want a WR in the 1st/2nd round this year, or no?

If not, what is your preference with those first four picks, position wise?

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

That seems optimistic, but ok, fair enough.

Do you want a WR in the 1st/2nd round this year, or no?

If not, what is your preference with those first four picks, position wise?

I don't think there is any question that a WR will be drafted with one of the first 4 picks and I would not be surprised if a WR was picked at 10. I also think 2 WRs will get drafted.  It's needed.  I just don't view the WR situation as being dire, but help is needed to give Wilson every opportunity to succeed.  There are WR rooms around the NFL that make the Jets appear loaded by comparison though.