Blessing in Disguise - Sometimes, the best Trades are the ones you Don't Make

MaybeOneDay

Just now, choon328 said:

Good luck with him developing surrounded by JAGs at WR plus 1 2nd year player with upside. 

This wr core isn't bad. If Wilson can't grow with this wr corps he'd have never been a top guy in the league anyway and we should move on. And this is coming from someone who had Wilson as his #1 qb in the 2021 draft class.

Besides, they'll most likely draft guys in this wr class and it's pretty deep.

• Upvote 1

In hindsight, we're absolutely better off not having made that trade. Kudos to JD for throwing his hat in the ring, but WAY too much to give up and then have to pay Hill. Gotta admit, I was pretty friggin excited for about 20 minutes though

• Upvote 2

Just now, mattg said:

In hindsight, we're absolutely better off not having made that trade. Kudos to JD for throwing his hat in the ring, but WAY too much to give up and then have to pay Hill. Gotta admit, I was pretty friggin excited for about 20 minutes though

The dude is the top offensive weapon in football. Do fans think we were going to land him for peanuts or something?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, artemusclyde said:

35 and 38 are not chump change. Elijah Moore was drafted with the 34th pick for all you mouth breathers out there. This team sucks right now, and Tyreek Hill is a 28-year-old receiver whose game relies on speed. Our defense was ranked last in the league by DVOA. Trading away assets right now on older players to try and compete with the monsters in the AFC is not a recipe for success. This team needs to draft well and slowly rebuild while Wilson, hopefully gets more experienced and grows at the QB position.

Tyreek hill is 10 times better then elijiah Moore you know that right? And who was the other 2nd round receiver? Mimms? Stephen hill? 

• Upvote 2

This wr core isn't bad. If Wilson can't grow with this wr corps he'd have never been a top guy in the league anyway and we should move on. And this is coming from someone who had Wilson as his #1 qb in the 2021 draft class.

Besides, they'll most likely draft guys in this wr class and it's pretty deep.

It’s not bad, it’s awful. Corey Davis is borderline atrocious even when he wasn’t missing games, Denzel Mims is useless, and Elijah Moore missed half the season over a hamstring. None of them are reliable, In fact the truth right now is Berrios is our best receiver and we’re just one injury away fro Vyncent Smith. And then next year when Zach sh*ts the bed again assholes out there will be like “he didn’t have any weaponzzz man, he deserves another year”. Here’s a great ****ubg idea…. Stack your #2 overall project QB with talent around him and give him at least a fighting chance. We got Berrios and CJ Uzomah…. Wooooo!!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, choon328 said:

So the Jets should just pack it in bc other teams are better right now? Wtf kind of thought process is this. 

Draft capital and cap space. Both way way overrated. The only way to be successful in this league is to have a premier QB. The way to develop a premier QB is to put enough talent around him to support him till he's able to lift the players around him. 

What good is cap space if your GM won't bring in premium players? It isn't any good

Did you even read what was written?  

I said, yes short term, it makes us better.  Not sure how much better, not sure if it makes us a playoff team in 2022...

However, if you project out longer term...2023, 2024, 2025....my suggestion was that we may have dodged a bullet.  

Hill has been one of the premier play makers in this league...however, he also played with Pat Mahomes and Kelce.  How's he going to do with Tua, Jalen Waddle, and Mike Gesicki?  I'm honestly curious.  Does he play with the same intensity?  How does he react on a team hovering around .500, just trying to scratch and claw their way into the playoffs?  Does he seem like a guy who is going to raise his game in that situation?  How about the off field stuff?

Just saying that IF the Jets use their cap space / draft capital to add more play makers...younger guys, perhaps better complements to Moore and Davis...this may be a blessing in disguise.   

I never said this is a finished product or that we are better off today without Hill...I said let's look a few years down the road and we may realize we were better off that this trade didn't happen.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1

Honestly I’m not really upset.  I would not have hated it all at all but I’m happy we still have two high second rounders which we can fill key holes on rookie deals and we aren’t paying a massive contract to one guy 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, MaybeOneDay said:

Hell, if we want a play maker who is a bit older and we don't mind a checkered past - go out and sign OBJ.

Don't even have to give up draft capital for him.

Yeah, the guy who won’t be ready to step on a football field until November.

Totally the same…

• Upvote 1

I said, yes short term, it makes us better.  Not sure how much better, not sure if it makes us a playoff team in 2022...
However, if you project out longer term...2023, 2024, 2025....my suggestion was that we may have dodged a bullet.  
Hill has been one of the premier play makers in this league...however, he also played with Pat Mahomes and Kelce.  How's he going to do with Tua, Jalen Waddle, and Mike Gesicki?  I'm honestly curious.  Does he play with the same intensity?  How does he react on a team hovering around .500, just trying to scratch and claw their way into the playoffs?  Does he seem like a guy who is going to raise his game in that situation?  How about the off field stuff?

Just saying that IF the Jets use their cap space / draft capital to add more play makers...younger guys, perhaps better complements to Moore and Davis...this may be a blessing in disguise.   
I never said this is a finished product or that we are better off today without Hill...I said let's look a few years down the road and we may realize we were better off that this trade didn't happen.  

Look a few years down the road…. You deserve every ounce of the bullsh*t this team pulls on you. We’ve been looking a few years down the road for decades, Jesus Christ man

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

It’s not bad, it’s awful. Corey Davis is borderline atrocious even when he wasn’t missing games, Denzel Mims is useless, and Elijah Moore missed half the season over a hamstring. None of them are reliable, In fact the truth right now is Berrios is our best receiver and we’re just one injury away fro Vyncent Smith. And then next year when Zach sh*ts the bed again assholes out there will be like “he didn’t have any weaponzzz man, he deserves another year”. Here’s a great ****ubg idea…. Stack your #2 overall project QB with talent around him and give him at least a fighting chance. We got Berrios and CJ Uzomah…. Wooooo!!

Exactly.

and when Tua has a good season, those same guys saying they’re happy we didn’t get Hill, will be saying the only reason he’s good is he has talented guys like Tyreek Hill around him

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, MaybeOneDay said:

It's always "a few years down the road". How about putting out a competitive team now? 

The Bills, the Dolphins and the Patriots all have a young nucleus of players that will be around for a while and they're all miles ahead of the Jets in talent.  You don't make up that distance by only drafting your way out of it. The reason most of us want the big time WR is to develop Wilson bc without him becoming a star in this league the Jets will remain basement dwellers for the next 10 years when you consider who is at QB for the Bills and Patriots. Both of those guys aren't going anywhere any time soon. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Tyreek hill is 10 times better then elijiah Moore you know that right? And who was the other 2nd round receiver? Mimms? Stephen hill? 

This is really not fair, and I think you know it. 

Tyreek Hill has also had 6 years in the NFL, 4 of them with Patrick Mahomes.

Why don't we just wait 5 years to make this comparison...I bet you it's a hell of a lot closer to even than 10x better.  

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Irktusk1957 said:

All these posts and one Le'Veon Bell comparison?

What's the comparison? Bell sat out a year and was coming off his worst statistical year the year prior to that. Hill is coming off 111 rec, 1279 yds and 9 tds and is in his prime

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, MaybeOneDay said:

Why don't we just wait 5 years to make this comparison...I bet you it's a hell of a lot closer to even than 10x better.  

The comparison is for the year 2022 since we can't live in the future.  Nobody gives a **** about 5 years from now when you want to be competitive now. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

No, it's not, awful is what the Eagles were rolling out with Hurts as qb, who still ended up making the playoffs. Wilson played like sh*t last year making the wrs look worse then they were. Davis damn near put up 1000 yards when he was on the Titans, only to have a major setback once he signed with the Jets. Did you forget how the rest of the qbs looked when Wilson was out? Mike White was literally seen as a possible franchise qb by you idiots last year for the few games he played. Do you honestly think White carried this team or was it the other way around? ******* Davis Mills and Mac Jones looked better then Wilson did with a much worse wr core.

7 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Tyreek Hill was drafted in the 5th round. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Let’s be very clear, there isn’t a single GM on the planet that takes Elijah Moore over Tyreek Hill having to sign then for the next 5 years, regardless of Hill’s age.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Tyreek Hill was drafted in the 5th round. 

Davis put up nearly 1000 yards as a number 2 receiver. He was a bargain signing asked to be our #1, that’s why he failed. I think Zach is a terrible QB prospect, but you might as well throw a Hail Mary and give the kid some ******* talent around him.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Snell41 said:

Let’s be very clear, there isn’t a single GM on the planet that takes Elijah Moore over Tyreek Hill having to sign then for the next 5 years, regardless of Hill’s age.

They would due to cheaper salary, Moore’s youth, declining speed of Hill which is his main asset, & Hill’s off-field issues. 

I disagree with your assertion 🙂

I agree that it was a blessing in disguise.  People on here are only thinking about how explosive of a player he is rather than the downsides to acquiring him.  The guy got a huge contract with a ton of guaranteed money.   He can now get in as much trouble as he wants (and I'm sure the Miami nightlife will offer plenty of opportunities for that) and say anything he wants (e.g. criticize Tua) and there's nothing they can do about it.

I could easily see him getting suspended during the life of that contract.  Plus would it even make sense to pair up a guy like ZW (who seems like more of a choir boy) with a scvmbag like Tyreek Hill?!   I just don't know how well that would've gone over.  It could've created a toxic environment for ZW. 

To me, there's no way in heck I'd want to hitch our wagon to this guy.  And to give up 2 2nd rounders to get him?!  No chance!

Imo, it was the wrong move on many levels

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

I strongly believe, as someone mentioned in other thread:

JD drove up the price and NEVER would have paid that much. He just KILLED the fins cap and drafts for the foreseeable future; only exacerbated if the fins don’t produce and win with all that FA $$$ spent. Rosenhuas, like ALL OTHER PLAYER AGENTS used the Jets for more $$$. JD obliged knowing full well Hill was always going to choose Miami; like Antonio Winfield, Anthony Barr, Favre, etc: players USE THE JETS to get what they want from another team!

JD was Machiavelli’s The Prince in driving up the price 

JD has been putting a stop to using the Jets to drive up contracts, but this case was different. No reason not to hurt a team in your division by competing with them in this manner making them exhaust $ and draft picks to win the bidding. If JD really wanted Hill that badly he likely would have offered a package that included the 10th overall picks, and a few other lower picks. Usually that is how a team thinks i.e with the 10th overall picks and some lower picks will it get me someone as good as Hill in the draft and usually they say no and trade the draft picks for the player. No, he didn't include a 1st round pick showing he could not have been as serious about this as if he wanted Hill that bad. He would have taken Hill had less than a number 1 picks done the job, but he knew it would not and Fins did offer a 1st round pick and much more, putting themselves all in with depleted draft capital and cap space even though they do have I believe 2 1st round picks next year, but this year they are depleted and likely will not get much out of the 2022 draft. If they cannot be better with Hill/Waddle, a little better of an Oline, and with their current D, then they are in trouble moving forward. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

I strongly believe, as someone mentioned in other thread:

JD drove up the price and NEVER would have paid that much. He just KILLED the fins cap and drafts for the foreseeable future; only exacerbated if the fins don’t produce and win with all that FA $$$ spent. Rosenhuas, like ALL OTHER PLAYER AGENTS used the Jets for more $$$. JD obliged knowing full well Hill was always going to choose Miami; like Antonio Winfield, Anthony Barr, Favre, etc: players USE THE JETS to get what they want from another team!

JD was Machiavelli’s The Prince in driving up the price 

It is a great get for the Fins but they gave up a 1,2, and 4 this year and have 2 firsts next year. If the Fins are fined draft picks  due to Ross, let’s say both of their 2023 first rounders they are in some trouble besides their future cap. 

. This is not win now team, while I would have liked a player like Hill, minus the domestic abuse issues I wouldn’t be too comfortable about the future if I was in Miami’s position. Especially with a 30 year old oft injured Tackle and suspect drafting of the oline the past two drafts.

• Upvote 1

Joe Douglas. Our Mr. Conservative Penny Pinching general manager badly wanted Tyreek Hill. He was willing to trade the draft picks and give the wideout a huge contract. Why? Because he knew it would give this rebuild and his young QB’s development a bolt of lighting.

but sure...”blessing in disguise”

I swear some Jets fans would love to be in rebuild mode forever. 

• Upvote 2