First desperation move by Joe

6 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

He wouldn't have even given up a 1st round pick in that deal. You say desperation, but I say calculated. 

He would have blown up the 2nd and 3rd rounds, where the heart of this draft is.  We are not one player away.  And I still believe Tyreek was not a good fit for this organization.  He makes Santonio look like a saint.  And Santonio disappeared after he got his contract.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, slats said:

There’s speculation that Hill used the Jets to increase his price. I don’t mind that the Jets helped cause the fish to send five picks away to pay a guy nearing his peak $30M/year starting next season. 

If so, douglas would have been happy to trade 2nd round picks for him.  But it’s unclear what the jets would have paid him annually anyway.

Just now, Phillyjet said:

He would have blown up the 2nd and 3rd rounds, where the heart of this draft is.  We are not one player away.  And I still believe Tyreek was not a good fit for this organization.  He makes Santonio look like a saint.  And Santonio disappeared after he got his contract.

Good points, the guy is not a model citizen to say the least but to deny what he would have done in this offense seems a little short-sighted. JD knows what the team needs and went all in on this one.

Like what JD is doing, good plan with that said this team has been rebuilding for 12 years.  And in this conference as you mentioned even w a perfect draft 7-9 wins? I don’t see it

3 minutes ago, slats said:

There’s speculation that Hill used the Jets to increase his price. I don’t mind that the Jets helped cause the fish to send five picks away to pay a guy nearing his peak $30M/year starting next season. 

Yup. This was a no brainer move by the Jets. They either get a stud WR (without giving up a 1st) or they force the Fish to give up extra draft capital and pay Hill a few extra bucks. 

• Upvote 3

I mean, if Zach becomes what we expect him to become why wouldn’t we want to maximize the talent around him during his rookie contract with a still elite receiver who perfectly compliments Zach’s strengths? And not even give up a single first? How far are we going to go to make ourselves feel better for not landing Hill lol

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I know you are a troll...... but wouldn't panicking include overpaying for Amari Cooper or Robert Woods? 

Check my rep history and time on this forum. I'm a Jets STH and the guy who is there 4 hours before a game but go ahead and call me a troll....

Let me ask you. Do you think this team is a legitimate AFC contender? I will wait for your ansswer

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

I think you are conflating off the field issues (and morality issues) with locker room issues. To my knowledge, Hill has had no issues in the locker room the way Holmes had. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I think you are conflating off the field issues (and morality issues) with locker room issues. To my knowledge, Hill has had no issues in the locker room the way Holmes had. 

The NY media would have given him no forgiveness for that, and they would have roasted him here.  And I still question whether his best days are behind him.  How would he react to that negativity here and the constant barage from the media.  The Jets are not given the benefit of the doubt; when they lose, the negativity multiplies.  Not sure that would have gone well. 

• Upvote 1

Hill is still considered to be a high end receiver, no? I don’t watch any other teams or play fantasy so I don’t know what his last few years have been like, but this sounds like an attempt to get Wilson a threatening wr at a reasonable price. The price became too unreasonable, so no receiver. At least he drove the price up for the Phins. Hill’s a POS so I’m glad it didn’t happen. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

Let me get this straight, the Jets were going to "blown up" their draft but still have two first rounders?  Sign me the **** up.  From what I read, they were going to get a 3rd back in the deal.  They'd still have had at least four picks in the top 111.  I get having issues with the man, and not wanting to pay him, but the whole reason the Jets have these assets is to use them.  You can't deny that Hill is a unique player that could really change things for this offense.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

We dodged a bullet by not getting the most explosive WR in the league without giving up either of our top 10 first round draft picks. 

Riiiiiiiiight. 

Listen, I'm still exciting about the draft and believe Douglas has a tremendous opportunity to put us on the right path with all of the draft capital we have but we just missed out on nabbing one of the most dangerous non-QB offensive players in the sport without giving up a 1st round draft pick. Let's get f*cking real here!

The good news is that Douglas is aggressively trying to improve this team, and once again, had negotiated a winning trade for the NYJ. Douglas has a chance to be a very good GM for a long time if Wilson can develop, IMO. 

At least he’s not going after the Keelan coles of the world.  That said, the jets aren’t winning any popularity contests until they prove they have a qb.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

The NY media would have given him no forgiveness for that, and they would have roasted him here.  And I still question whether his best days are behind him.  How would he react to that negativity here and the constant barage from the media.  The Jets are not given the benefit of the doubt; when they lose, the negativity multiplies.  Not sure that would have gone well. 

I honestly don't care if they give him the benefit of the doubt.  Vick played here and though I wasn't a fan, I don't remember it being a huge issue.  People complained and I felt a bit dirty, but I don't remember many rumblings from the locker room and that was as sloppy a loose ship as there has ever been. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Check my rep history and time on this forum. I'm a Jets STH and the guy who is there 4 hours before a game but go ahead and call me a troll....

Let me ask you. Do you think this team is a legitimate AFC contender? I will wait for your ansswer

Investing in PSLs, spending hours in a parking lot before a team inevitably loses another heartbreaking game isn't a ringing endorsement for your judgment skills. It just means you are likely lashing out at every Jets GM/HC/Player because you are angry at yourself for all that wasted money/time. I'd probably be bitter also and troll every move the team makes. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 2

29 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

Count me as someone who has been impressed by Joe's plan, never overpaying and taking the pain to restore a draft pipeline to the organization.  He was poised to strike for the right players if they were available and he spread it around.  Then came word that he was seriously considering paying a safety Marcus Williams over 15 million, a couple of years after he jettisoned Jamal, and then refused to pay Marcus Maye.  We dodged that bullet and he held.

The Tyreek thing was a whole other level.  A 28 yo Tyreek Hill, who let's face it, his best days are probably behind him, is going to blow up our draft and get the highest contract ever for a WR.  Domestic abuse history.  NY Jets and our history, our media.  This was a cocktail bound to blow up in our faces.  Reeked desperation to get that "player" for Zach.  There are no shortcuts here. THe best teams develop their players through the draft and use FA to supplement needs.  You overpay for your lineman, edge and CB.  At these prices for WRs, it makes no sense, particularly with a now steady pipeline of WRs every year in the draft.

We dodged a bullet again, but the fact that we almost sealed this deal convinces me that Joe is under a lot of pressure to win now.  I for one am happy we have our draft picks.  I would consider double dipping at WR in Rounds 1 and 2-3.  And I am willing to tolerate a 7-9 win season, to get us in position to grow again next year.  Tyreek sounded like a shiny new toy, but he wasn't.  He was a disaster waiting to happen in this market, and on this franchise.

Word. Ty eeeeek going down Hill. Efff that douche. Let’s just go back to the 70’s and sign every low life ex Raider. Once these low life athletes commit these transgressions, they shouldn’t be rewarded like they’re golden gooses. The average Joe Schmo couldn’t get a job at Trader Joe’s doing the crap these prima donna’s do. We gotta be better than that. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

33 minutes ago, slats said:

Efff tyeeek hill. He’s a temper outburst from being suspended for a year. His attitude, temperament is not worth the risk or the money. Andy was smart to get rid of this guy. Belicheat move if ever you’ve seen one. 

36 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

Count me as someone who has been impressed by Joe's plan, never overpaying and taking the pain to restore a draft pipeline to the organization.  He was poised to strike for the right players if they were available and he spread it around.  Then came word that he was seriously considering paying a safety Marcus Williams over 15 million, a couple of years after he jettisoned Jamal, and then refused to pay Marcus Maye.  We dodged that bullet and he held.

The Tyreek thing was a whole other level.  A 28 yo Tyreek Hill, who let's face it, his best days are probably behind him, is going to blow up our draft and get the highest contract ever for a WR.  Domestic abuse history.  NY Jets and our history, our media.  This was a cocktail bound to blow up in our faces.  Reeked desperation to get that "player" for Zach.  There are no shortcuts here. THe best teams develop their players through the draft and use FA to supplement needs.  You overpay for your lineman, edge and CB.  At these prices for WRs, it makes no sense, particularly with a now steady pipeline of WRs every year in the draft.

We dodged a bullet again, but the fact that we almost sealed this deal convinces me that Joe is under a lot of pressure to win now.  I for one am happy we have our draft picks.  I would consider double dipping at WR in Rounds 1 and 2-3.  And I am willing to tolerate a 7-9 win season, to get us in position to grow again next year.  Tyreek sounded like a shiny new toy, but he wasn't.  He was a disaster waiting to happen in this market, and on this franchise.

This theory only works if dont like Hill the player or believe that at 28 hes near done as a top WR.  

33 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

He wouldn't have even given up a 1st round pick in that deal. You say desperation, but I say calculated. 

He should have showed more desperation and made an offer the Chiefs and Tyreek couldn't refuse. Yesterday was a bad day for this organization. They're gonna need to cross their fingers and hope someone else like that becomes available. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, heymangold said:

PEOPLE

THE TRADE OFFER WAS ACCEPTED BY THE CHIEFS.  HILL PICKED THE DOLPHINS.  STOP SAYING "IF HE UPPED THE OFFER".  HIS OFFER WAS ACCEPTED!

I think the beef many have is that maybe the chiefs wouldn’t have allowed hill to make his own decision if the jets offered a first round pick in the deal.

19 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I honestly don't care if they give him the benefit of the doubt.  Vick played here and though I wasn't a fan, I don't remember it being a huge issue.  People complained and I felt a bit dirty, but I don't remember many rumblings from the locker room and that was as sloppy a loose ship as there has ever been. 

Vick was not the highest paid player on the team, and if I remember correctly, how'd that go?  Playoffs or bust?

40 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

Joe definitely feels the pressure to win now.  This season he's not going to be allowed the same excuses as his previous seasons here.  ZW is no longer a rookie.  And he can no longer say he's cleaning up Macc's mess.   I agree this move felt like there was some desperation to it.  I do think he wants to make ZW look good this year but he hasn't given him the "weapinz".  I think he also sees that the AFC is really looking loaded so, even though we improved, there's no guarantee we're going to win that many games.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Efff tyeeek hill. He’s a temper outburst from being suspended for a year. His attitude, temperament is not worth the risk or the money. Andy was smart to get rid of this guy. Belicheat move if ever you’ve seen one. 

From what I heard, his teammates love him.  But I still am very happy he's not here.  I couldn't root for a guy like that, regardless of how talented he is (and he's extremely talented).

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Joe definitely feels the pressure to win now.  This season he's not going to be allowed the same excuses as his previous seasons here.  ZW is no longer a rookie.  And he can no longer say he's cleaning up Macc's mess.   I agree this move felt like there was some desperation to it.  I do think he wants to make ZW look good this year but he hasn't given him the "weapinz".  I think he also sees that the AFC is really looking loaded so, even though we improved, there's no guarantee we're going to win that many games.  

Happens to every jets gm and hc.  After the grace period there’s pressure to show results and then they start spending.  Of course the jets haven’t had anyone like tyreke hill on the team since, well…

• Upvote 1