JD's Wrong headed and Stubborn Approach

Just now, ZachEY said:

Had we made this move, we would have weakened our draft position, had the highest paid WR in the NFL, and still been, at best, the 11th best team in our 16 team conference heading into the season.

Not overpaying for Hill was the right move, even if it was the less fun move.

With the worst d in the nfl, douglas probably thought if he can get tyreke and not give up those 1sts he would use both on d.

9 minutes ago, docdhc said:

I don’t think paying him more than he got from the Dolphins would have been smart. There is a limit to even a great players value within a salary cap. 

Not to mention the fact that Hill is on the downhill side of his career. The question is how fast will Hill's production fall off in the coming years.

• Upvote 1

This is wrong. JD did his job here and actually secured a really, really good deal for us that was agreed to by the Chiefs. The problem was that so did Miami and they gave Hill the choice. He lives there, he’s from Georgia, and Florida has no state tax - so the choice was kinda clear.

This was not a scenario where JD wouldn’t part with an extra pick so they went with Miami, as has happened in the past with free agency money. If that had happened, I think the fanbase would collectively want to run him out of town today. IMO we learned a lot about JD yesterday and I think it was good things - it’s just too bad that the allure of NY is gone and there are some things that the area just can’t offer when compared to other places

3 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

you may not want to hear it (i imagine my toddler sticking her fingers in her ear and going blah blah blah), but the rams let woods pick his destination

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33579498/robert-woods-says-quickly-decided-tennessee-titans-given-choice

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- It all came together perfectly for the Tennessee Titans and former Los Angeles Rams wide receiver Robert Woods.

The Titans desperately needed a veteran wide receiver after they released Julio Jones, and Woods was in need of a new team after the Rams signed free-agent wideout Allen Robinson.

The Rams gave Woods the opportunity to choose where he'd suit up next and, although there were a few teams he liked, Woods quickly decided he wanted to be traded to the Titans.

"They told me I'd have a say in where I'd be traded," Woods said at his introductory news conference. "I did my research and spoke with past players that were here. And just having a relationship with Todd Downing and Rob Moore already from being in Buffalo. Then Derrick Henry, Ryan Tannehill, A.J. Brown ... they're a top-performing team and the Coach of the Year [Mike Vrabel], so joining this team is beneficial for my career.

Thats after the trade happened. I don't buy the Rams would have hung up on Joe Douglas if he came with a better offer than the Titans when the Rams are desperate for draft picks. 

Just now, Augustiniak said:

With the worst d in the nfl, douglas probably thought if he can get tyreke and not give up those 1sts he would use both on d.

Agreed.  I didn't hate the deal as proposed. OP is suggesting "sweetening the deal" with the #10.

42 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Once again, JD is rumored to make a big move that could change the franchise, once again JD does not have the juice to make it happen. 

Rumors are that if JD sweetened the deal with the 10 pick for Hill, it may of been an offer the Chiefs couldn't refuse, but once again JD didn't want to overpay. But here is where JD and his cult following get wrong. We stink. We have won 6 games in the last two seasons. We have a question mark at QB. It's NJ. (No offense to some of you) We have a terrible owner and reputation. It all adds up to the "jets tax" as its known. FA's also are usually not wanting to come here unless they PAY (they did overpay Uzomah and he made the move) 

This is the critical mistake JD makes, he doesn't realize the Jets tax and thinks he still is at some respected franchise like Baltimore. The fact is to be picky, to make hard offers and then withdraw, you need to have something to back it up. The Jets, and JD, a first time GM who has done nothing but lose so far, do not have anything to back their hard negotiating tactics up with. 

Now JD has improved this team, hard not to when you look at our CFL team from last year. But when you look around the AFC, are we even close? We are missing the playmaker impacts we need to win football games. JD will need to pay some players for the Jets to go 10-7 or 11-5 and start to rebuild this teams reputation. A team doesnt gain respectability with "cap space" or "thrifting teams with trades" they turn into Ashyton Davis. Teams gain respectability by winning seasons. 

I hope JD and this stubborn front office re-thinks their approach. 

Stopped at "if JD sweetened the deal".  The Chiefs accepted the Jets and the Dolphins trade offers.  They left it to Hill to decide.  He trains in FL, loves FL and wants to live here and picked the fish.  Had nothing to do with the JD offer.  

Guessing the rest revolves around your usual we suck message 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Jd is doing a great job by Woody's standards. Keep the team under the cap, sign cheap bums like tevin Coleman etc 

Winners do not get paid any more than losers. Woody just needs jd to keep the lights on while he buys Chelsea. 

I don’t think Lawson, Corey Davis, Tomlinson, Uzomah, Conklin, Reed, Whitehead qualify as superstars but they aren’t cheap bums either. He was also willing to pay big money for Hill. He’s signing solid players and improving the team which doesn’t fit your narrative. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Jd is doing a great job by Woody's standards. Keep the team under the cap, sign cheap bums like tevin Coleman etc 

Winners do not get paid any more than losers. Woody just needs jd to keep the lights on while he buys Chelsea. 

Ignore the solid players hes signed, whine about Coleman and spew your usual nonsense about Woody being cheap, keeping the team under the cap, when we've clearly spent to the cap.  Because if you keep saying it over and over again it will magically become true  

9 minutes ago, chirorob said:

For professional athletes, they pay state taxes in every state they play a game, where they live doesn't really factor.

So, if you're a Dolphin, but play 1 game in NE, 1 game in NJ, and 1 game in NY, you have to pay state tax for the game check to each of those states.  A work around is the bonus money is only paid in the state you live, but it makes doing taxes a pain in the butt as you may owe state income tax in 5 or 6 different states.

Didn't even realize that but he's still playing 8-9 games every year in a state that has 0 income-tax.  

• Upvote 1

I am far from a Joe Douglas fan. In fact I think he should be on the hot seat starting this season if results don’t start to show.

However this is one of the most moronic, misinformed threads ever made on this forum, and it should seriously be locked.

OP is either trolling or even more clueless than everyone thinks he is.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Thats after the trade happened. I don't buy the Rams would have hung up on Joe Douglas if he came with a better offer than the Titans when the Rams are desperate for draft picks. 

well i can go with robert woods' word that the rams consulted with him on where he would land, or i could go with a disgruntled poster on a jets message board.

i think i'll go with the player who actually was involved in the scenario.  30 other teams could have offered more than the titans ultimately paid.  it wasn't just "sleepy joe" who missed out on topping the offer.  obviously woods' wishes were taking into account, no matter how much it doesn't fit with your narrative

9 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

He didnt want to play in NY.  It was his choice.  What is wrong with you people?  lmfao

It is a fair question that if douglas had offered a 1st rounder in the deal, would the chiefs still have allowed hill to make the decision when he did not have a no trade clause?  This is different than the chiefs accepting the trade proposal and allowing hill to make the choice.

42 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Once again, JD is rumored to make a big move that could change the franchise, once again JD does not have the juice to make it happen. 

I disagree. 

Douglas offered more draft capital to KC and more money to Hill than did Miami. What was Douglas supposed to do? Some say Douglas was remiss by not talking Hill into signing with the Jets. He can talk all he wants, but if a player is fixated on another team, then there is no hope.

Some of JD's moves and non-moves can been criticized, but this is not one of them.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

It is a fair question that if douglas had offered a 1st rounder in the deal, would the chiefs still have allowed hill to make the decision when he did not have a no trade clause?  This is different than the chiefs accepting the trade proposal and allowing hill to make the choice.

And if Hill would not commit to a long term deal with the Jets? Then what?

• Sympathy 1

I'm not a defender or against JD.  I'm not sure the Hill move was the right move.  Based on the offer it appears we wanted Hill badly and had a deal with KC.  

Watson told Cleveland he wasn't interested.  Cleveland got off their backsides got on a plane and sold him the deal.   I'm a little dissapointed that JD, Saleh and even Zach couldn't stall him for 24 hours gotten their asses on a plane and sold him on the Jets.  If anything the reason to question JD is why he can't sell the Jets against a team like Miami with a second rate QB.  

The reality is they wanted him and they made a competetive offer.  JD lost the sale to a division opponent.  Frankly that says something about the Jets organization from top to bottom.  

JD all gas means all gas.  Get it done when you're all in.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jet Blast said:

I disagree. 

Douglas offered more draft capital to KC and more money to Hill than did Miami. What was Douglas supposed to do? Some say Douglas was remiss by not talking Hill into signing with the Jets. He can talk all he wants, but if a player is fixated on another team, then there is no hope.

Some of JD's moves and non-moves can been criticized, but this is not one of them.

I agree with you.  100%.

Is it that hard to understand.  If you give up a ton of draft captial for a guy on the last year of his contract, you better be damn sure he is going to re-sign with you.  JD made the Chiefs an offer that they were willing to accept.  The player did not want to be here.  Offering up the #10 pick may have encouraged the Chiefs to take the deal, only for the player to leave as a free agent after one season.  He tried.  Made a fair offer.  Other team was willing to accept that offer.  Player did not want to be here.  It sucks, but it happens.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

The rumor is, the first off was #10 and #38.  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Joe Douglas been here 3 years and players still don't want to come here. It's messed up. 

And the reasons he wanted to go to Fl have nothing to do with JD and his rebuild. 
Just doesn’t sink in

5 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

And if Hill would not commit to a long term deal with the Jets? Then what?

If JD and the Jets staff can't sell top players to come here they aren't the right people to run the organizaton.  Nothing wrong with building through the draft but if you're going to make a move don't let Miami look like a better place to play.

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

I agree with you.  100%.

Is it that hard to understand.  If you give up a ton of draft captial for a guy on the last year of his contract, you better be damn sure he is going to re-sign with you.  JD made the Chiefs an offer that they were willing to accept.  The player did not want to be here.  Offering up the #10 pick may have encouraged the Chiefs to take the deal, only for the player to leave as a free agent after one season.  He tried.  Made a fair offer.  Other team was willing to accept that offer.  Player did not want to be here.  It sucks, but it happens.

That's the bottom line here. End of story.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

Rumors are that if JD sweetened the deal with the 10 pick for Hill, it may of been an offer the Chiefs couldn't refuse, but once again JD didn't want to overpay.

Once again for the 1st graders posting on here.... Doesn't matter what JD offered, because the Chiefs accepted the deal... Sweetening wouldn't have made a difference, because they gave Hill the opportunity to choose his destination. HE CHOSE THE FINS !!!

How much more does it need to be spelled out.

• Upvote 3