JD's Wrong headed and Stubborn Approach

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Sorry I meant to say Jonnu Smith not Njoku 

So you’re trying to make the argument that Jets should have outbid the Patriots offer to Jonnu Smith, which was 4 years, 50 million, instead of balking at that ridiculous price, so he could put up this?

C5CFE967-180C-43AC-8526-0CAE670CA222.jpeg.829d9a676e011529c68c9a93f91a4f5c.jpeg

Offering a player a reasonable contract that they’re worth and walking away when someone swoops in with some stupid offer is not the same as “almost signed, but lost.”

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Jets Things said:

The end justifies the means. 

Next time Rosenhaus wants a favor from Douglas, I’m sure he’s going to remember this.  Tyreek Hill is not his only client.  I can assure you that other teams will take note of that.

The Chiefs will get that same treatment.

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Obviously most of my shtick was tongue and cheek but I'm going to give you an answer.

You have kids in public schools in Florida?  Most NFL players have families.  CT and NJ rank 2nd and 3rd behind MA.   Florida ranks 22.  North Carolina 30, Georgia 34, South Carolina 43.

I just moved back from Scottsdale after 8 years there.  Great weather, hiking, golf close to CA and MX.  I would never raise kids in AZ.  The schools are awful.

You're talking about NFL players on their second contract looking for a home with good schools for their kids and lots of experiences they can have with their kids.  I grew up in the burbs in the 60's when nobody had a lot of money.  The public schools were great and my parents were able to drag me into the city and take me to museums, theatre, book stores for very little money.  I went to Met games and the Worlds fair by myself on public transportation and it was cheap.  Now it's pretty expensive but were talking about guys with big money.  There are a lot of things NYC has to offer and the suburbs have to offer that can't be had anywhere else.  

Some one brought up boating.  I sail in the LI sound and up into New Englans and the Maine coast every summer.  It's as good as it gets.  There's great fishing, beautiful golf courses, beaches...

I get it when you get older it's easier to live in other parts of the country.  When you have kids it's not about easy, it's about grinding and being an example and doing the best you can for your family.  Doing stuff with your kids and exposing them to alll kinds of activities including great art, food, schools and a world view that they simply won't get in other places.  Granted Miami is a very diverse city.  It's still not a place that I would want to raise a family. 

We're talking about professional athletes.  Guys who are at the top of their profession, big earners.   In the metro NYC area the professionals are generally top shelf.   They have kids and their kids will  network with them.   NFL players are going to get access to people most of us can't dream of getting in a room with.   The access to business outside of football is insane.  It's just a different scale in the metro NYC area.  

I thought it was a fantastic place to grow up in.  Both of my parents are gone but we had so many shared outings.  I just think it's a fantastic place.  

On a serious note Hill going to Miami instead of NY is the Dolphins gain and Miami's loss.  NYC is better off without him.  The Jets on the other hand...

A professional athlete can send his kids to the best private school.  The quality of public schools is not really an issue.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

So you’re trying to make the argument that Jets should have outbid the Patriots offer to Jonnu Smith, which was 4 years, 50 million, instead of balking at that ridiculous price, so he could put up this?

C5CFE967-180C-43AC-8526-0CAE670CA222.jpeg.829d9a676e011529c68c9a93f91a4f5c.jpeg

Offering a player a reasonable contract that they’re worth and walking away when someone swoops in with some stupid offer is not the same as “almost signed, but lost.”

Yes I wanted the Jets to sign Jonnu Smith. You wanted to go through the season with Ryan Griffin and Tyler Kroft? How did that help Zach Wilson's development

the Pats signed Hunter Henry as well of course Smith's production isn't dominant. The Pats won 10 games with a rookie QB last year and blew the Jets out by 20 and 40 respectively. 

4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Next time Rosenhaus wants a favor from Douglas, I’m sure he’s going to remember this.  Tyreek Hill is not his only client.  I can assure you that other teams will take note of that.

The Chiefs will get that same treatment.

Of course he'll remember it and he won't ever draft a player repped by Rosenhaus. 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Yes I wanted the Jets to sign Jonnu Smith. You wanted to go through the season with Ryan Griffin and Tyler Kroft? How did that help Zach Wilson's development

the Pats signed Hunter Henry as well of course Smith's production isn't dominant. The Pats won 10 games with a rookie QB last year and blew the Jets out by 20 and 40 respectively. 

Ryan Griffin matched Jonnu’s production, so probably would have helped exactly the same.

Nobody is talking about Hunter Henry, so why are you bringing up Hunter Henry?  Hunter Henry didn’t cause a receiving TE to have 1 TD and sub 300 yards receiving.  Him not being very good did that.

• WTF? 1

12 minutes ago, Jets Things said:

Of course he'll remember it and he won't ever draft a player repped by Rosenhaus. 

He will.  But it won’t be one of those “Hey Joe, I got this really good kid who I would appreciate you drafting in the 5th/6th. In return, I’ll give you a break next time we need to negotiate on __(insert player here)__’s contract.  Do you think you can do me that solid?”

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Yes Ryan Griffin and Jonnu Smith are exactly the same. Because of stats.

You did it. You won the argument.

Congrats. 

We’re discussing their production from last year.  Did they, or did they not produce around the same numbers last year?  Jonnu Smith doesn’t get extra magic production because you liked him.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

This is a mic drop on the whole JD didn't do enough theory. End of discussion. Go find the next thing to complain about Kevin and crew.  

If only it were that easy. They will return with God only knows what response.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Yes Ryan Griffin and Jonnu Smith are exactly the same. Because of stats.

You did it. You won the argument.

Congrats. 

Not giving big money to a TE who averages 30/300/3 in 5 years is a miss by JD?  You honestly think Smith is worth a 4 yr $50 million contract?  Ok.  You people are unreal.  Smith makes Corey Davis look like a bargain, but you put Davis in the miss column and Smith as a hit for NE and a failure by JD.  WTF?

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, slats said:

So, in your opinion, the Jets have done nothing in free agency to close that gap at all? 

Correct.  The cheaters won 10 games last season and Miami 9. 

The Jets were 0-6 in the division and I honestly can’t see more than 1 win this year, maybe 2. 

The rest of the schedule is really tough  

finishing  in last place by fewer games is not success. 

It’s going to take a team in the division having an injury year like the Jets did last year to o move up, but I don’t think you credit the Jets GM for that. 

If I believed in Sack Wilson, you could make the argument that if Lawson and Becton come to camp healthy and ready, and Davis and Joyner as well that adding pass rush to the defense and a WR to the offense makes a competitive team, but it’s a tough division in an insane conference, so is it enough?

I really hope I’m wrong btw, I hope JD pulls of a big deal and everyone dunks on my head and has a lot of fun at my expense ?

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

A professional athlete can send his kids to the best private school.  The quality of public schools is not really an issue.

Of course its an issue.   There are very few great private schools in FL and even fewer slots.

Its also a hidden tax on families.  

JD did his job....https://nypost.com/2022/03/24/tyreek-hill-says-he-was-never-picking-the-jets-who/

It sounds like the New York Jets were just a stalking horse.

The Tyreek Hill sweepstakes, in which the Miami Dolphins were ultimately the winner, developed rapidly Wednesday. Reports before the speedy receiver’s trade from Kansas City indicated that the Jets and Dolphins were the finalists, but Hill has disputed the idea that the Jets were ever close at his introductory press conference in Miami.

“How close was I? Who? The Jets?” Hill asked. “I knew I was going to pick Miami no matter what because I’m basically from here, I’m here all the time. This is home for me, for us.”

The Dolphins traded five draft picks, including a first rounder in 2022, to the Chiefs for Hill. They also signed the wideout to a new four-year, $120 million deal.

The Jets reportedly did not include a first rounder in their proposal to the Chiefs, but based on the way draft pick valuation works, their offer that included two second rounders would have been accepted by Kansas City had Hill wanted to play for Gang Green.

Florida has no state income tax, while more than 80 percent of Hill’s $30 million per year deal would be taxed at 10.75 percent in New Jersey – where the Jets play.

Last line tell us what mismanaging of state assets done to prevent us form signing some players as taxes is a huge factor in large contracts. Not one political party only.

25 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

We’re discussing their production from last year.  Did they, or did they not produce around the same numbers last year?  Jonnu Smith doesn’t get extra magic production because you liked him.

Jonnu Smith was the TE 2 in New England he'd be the TE1 here. 

it's not purely a matter of production. Tyler Conklin had 60 catches does that make him 3x the player of Jonnu Smith? 

Ask 32 NFL coaches who they'd rather have Jonnu Smith or Ryan Griffin I doubt you'd find many Griffin takers 

23 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Not giving big money to a TE who averages 30/300/3 in 5 years is a miss by JD?  You honestly think Smith is worth a 4 yr $50 million contract?  Ok.  You people are unreal.  Smith makes Corey Davis look like a bargain, but you put Davis in the miss column and Smith as a hit for NE and a failure by JD.  WTF?

Corey Davis and Jonnu Smith are both disappointing FA's from last season. I'd rather the 2022 Jets have both, even though their 21 production dipped

5 hours ago, Biggs said:

He didn't fly down to see him or send a Jet to fly him up to see him.  You don't do this over the phone when the player has multiple choice.   I have no problem with him going to Miami.  I have a problem with all gas and not getting off your chair.

Ok

7 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Once again, JD is rumored to make a big move that could change the franchise, once again JD does not have the juice to make it happen. 

Rumors are that if JD sweetened the deal with the 10 pick for Hill, it may of been an offer the Chiefs couldn't refuse, but once again JD didn't want to overpay. But here is where JD and his cult following get wrong. We stink. We have won 6 games in the last two seasons. We have a question mark at QB. It's NJ. (No offense to some of you) We have a terrible owner and reputation. It all adds up to the "jets tax" as its known. FA's also are usually not wanting to come here unless they PAY (they did overpay Uzomah and he made the move) 

This is the critical mistake JD makes, he doesn't realize the Jets tax and thinks he still is at some respected franchise like Baltimore. The fact is to be picky, to make hard offers and then withdraw, you need to have something to back it up. The Jets, and JD, a first time GM who has done nothing but lose so far, do not have anything to back their hard negotiating tactics up with. 

Now JD has improved this team, hard not to when you look at our CFL team from last year. But when you look around the AFC, are we even close? We are missing the playmaker impacts we need to win football games. JD will need to pay some players for the Jets to go 10-7 or 11-5 and start to rebuild this teams reputation. A team doesnt gain respectability with "cap space" or "thrifting teams with trades" they turn into Ashyton Davis. Teams gain respectability by winning seasons. 

I hope JD and this stubborn front office re-thinks their approach. 

The only reason I read this whole post was because it got 46 down votes

Shocked Ice Cube GIF

• Haha 1