The Merged Trade for Deebo Samuel Thread

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Thats overkill.  WR will become the running back position in 2 years.  There are so many good ones nowadays the value is going to go way down.  Trading picks and spending big money on a receiver when you have the pick of the wr litter in this years draft would be an Idzik/McCagnan level mistake.

No way is Joe D doing it.

But didn’t Joe D already try to do it with Hill?

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, thebuzzardman said:

I've already come to terms with the fact that the Eagles will pony up the extra picks that get the trade done, while Douglas finds the deal "too rich" but Jets "were in it"

5 stages of Jets fandom trade grief:

Denial: This can't be happening! Followed by posting of "It's happening!" gifs. 

Anger: Usual cadre of posters sh*ts on trade, largely out of habit or some internal bitterness in their life.

Bargaining: 40-60 pages of trade scenarios running the gamut of realistic to ludicrous.

Depression: Realization dawns that we are Jets fans and this is, after all, the Jets. 

Acceptance: Comfort with the knowledge that the last minute team mentioned on Twitter was the team all along; that even if they weren't, their offer still beats the Jets and/or the player likes the weather there, or the turf, or the strip clubs or who the f*ck knows, but just winds up there. 

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

This may very well be the case and it may ultimately be what's best for the Jets anyway.

Take the best WR on their board at 10 and use that $28mm a year on filling out the roster with quality talent still available in FA's.  You could land 3 quality starters in the remaining holes on this team with that $28mm a year.  There's still plenty of talent out there - 

Joe just has to be willing to spend the money.

season 2 netflix GIF by Gilmore Girls

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

If Rapsheet is plugged into the situation, which I trust he is, I’d say it’s more likely than not Deebo is traded based on the tone of this.  And if he is traded, I’d say it’s more likely than not to the Jets for #10.

????????????????????????????

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Hoe much coke did Pat McAfee do before this clip and what is going on here? Are we supposed to read into what Ian Rapoport said because it seems like he's not saying much more than what we've been talking about here. AKA - he's not reporting anything but McAfee interprets it as he is?

Not trying to be a jerk face here, but obviously you have to read into things and understand which people in given situations are “playing the game” and read the tea leaves.  

Based on everything I’ve seen unfold in sports rumor world in the Twitter era, Rap is dropping vague clues as to information he has been given without flat out saying exactly what he knows.  Based on this, and Rap could be wrong or I could be wrong, based on this I’d say Rap knows the Niners understand they likely have to trade him, but they have to play the game to get the best deal possible.   

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Not trying to be a jerk face here, but obviously you have to read into things and understand which people in given situations are “playing the game” and read the tea leaves.  

Based on everything I’ve seen unfold in sports rumor world in the Twitter era, Rap is dropping vague clues as to information he has been given without flat out saying exactly what he knows.  Based on this, and Rap could be wrong or I could be wrong, based on this I’d say Rap knows the Niners understand they likely have to trade him, but they have to play the game to get the best deal possible.   

jerk face

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, PS17 said:

The worst thing you can call someone at an Iowa playground 

Reminds me of the day I figured out my parents would allow me to say jerk without slapping the sh*t out of me. I vividly remember being surprised by the discovery then repeatedly saying the word in different contexts in the back seat during the ride home from my cousins house. It was a special day.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

FWIW, I think it was Doug Whaley (ex. GM) who was on Sirius NFL radio his morning that said he didn't think Deebo was worth what was given up for Adams or Hill in terms of picks or contract value. Makes me think pick #10 is too much even in a weak draft.

Trader Joe at work!!

4 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

FWIW, I think it was Doug Whaley (ex. GM) who was on Sirius NFL radio his morning that said he didn't think Deebo was worth what was given up for Adams or Hill in terms of picks or contract value. Makes me think pick #10 is too much even in a weak draft.

Trader Joe at work!!

It probably is “too much.” However, the Jets’ leverage is down because the entire league knows they’re desperate for an elite receiver. Then you add the Jets Tax that they need to pay to sign said elite player to a team no one wants to be on.

I am okay with slightly overpaying given our tremendous draft capital and cap space with a rookie QB.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Trader Joe at work!!

I'd say they could send a pick back, but they already have very few picks and are likely trying to get more in than they return.

Could it be both 2nd rounders?  I actually hope not.  I'd almost rather trade 10 than 35 and 38 even though they are worth more unless we can trade down from 10.  However, I'm not at all against doing either in this case.  I don't want to see us send the entire Hill package of 35, 38 and 69 (with a 4th coming back) though.  That's a lot of pretty good prospects.  Maybe 35, 38 and a 2023 3rd rounder. 

Ultimately, I'm okay with the trade not happening at all.  What would be the worst outcome for me is if another team got him for less than I think we would reasonably have offered.  That would sting just a little.

1 minute ago, PS17 said:

It probably is “too much.” However, the Jets’ leverage is down because the entire league knows they’re desperate for an elite receiver. Then you add the Jets Tax that they need to pay to sign said elite player to a team no one wants to be on.

I am okay with slightly overpaying given our tremendous draft capital and cap space with a rookie QB.

Good points.

45 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Trader Joe at work!!

Bit of news: It's not too much and Deebo is better than Tyreek Hill

Deebo averaged 18 yards a catch. Hill 11

Deebo averaged 11 YAC. Hill 4

Deebo had more yards after catch on passes that were at or behind the line of scrimmage than 52 other receivers. Hill, uh no

Deebo caught passes from Jimmy Garropolololoolol  and Trey Lance. Hill, not sure who he caught passes from but I think he's famous.

Dummy count thus far: 2

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

I'd say they could send a pick back, but they already have very few picks and are likely trying to get more in than they return.

Could it be both 2nd rounders?  I actually hope not.  I'd almost rather trade 10 than 35 and 38 even though they are worth more unless we can trade down from 10.  However, I'm not at all against doing either in this case.  I don't want to see us send the entire Hill package of 35, 38 and 69 (with a 4th coming back) though.  That's a lot of pretty good prospects.  Maybe 35, 38 and a 2023 3rd rounder. 

Ultimately, I'm okay with the trade not happening at all.  What would be the worst outcome for me is if another team got him for less than I think we would reasonably have offered.  That would sting just a little.

I Agree. I'm 50/50 on it too.

If 35 & 38, then hope for a trade back from 4 or 10 to get more capital.

• Upvote 2

So in essence, there is no receiver in this draft that is graded as high as Deebo? No shot that, strike me with lightning as we speak, that there is a guy who could possibly be better than him? If not, shouldn't the line be twice around the block trying to trade for this guy?

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Justin Jefferson plus 25 million to spend or Stefan Diggs?

Its not even close.  Heck Jefferson himself is better then diggs.

Huge mistake by the bills.

In hindsight, I would prefer Jefferson. But there’s no gtd we will draft a great WR.

Who are you drafting at #10?

15 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

49ers pushing the narrative out. Trying to make JD move

? Our guy is not going to budge. So they'll either take it or have a WR who doesn't want to be there.

It’s not like we are trying to low ball them. No WR in the rookie cap era has been traded for more than what we are offering.

• Upvote 3

Just now, GreenFish said:

? Our guy is not going to budge. So they'll either take it or have a WR who doesn't want to be there.

It’s not like we are trying to low ball them. No WR in the rookie cap era has been traded for more than what we are offeribg.

What makes me worry is that the Eagles are involved and have 15/22 in the first. If you’re Philly, why not make that trade? They could be a really dangerous team in a weak division

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Just look at this gem from cynthia frelund from nfl.com in an article speculating on draft trades.

NEW YORK RECEIVES:

WR Deebo Samuel

SAN FRANCISCO RECEIVES:

WR Elijah Moore

Round 1, 2022: No. 10 overall

Round 2, 2022: No. 35

Gross

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Just look at this gem from cynthia frelund from nfl.com in an article speculating on draft trades.

NEW YORK RECEIVES:

WR Deebo Samuel

SAN FRANCISCO RECEIVES:

WR Elijah Moore

Round 1, 2022: No. 10 overall

Round 2, 2022: No. 35

Nope nope nope