The Merged Trade for Deebo Samuel Thread

1 minute ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

More than likely we overpay in draft capital, contract and get this dude for three good years, maybe four.

It's never ideal unless you draft the superstar yourself.

I'd say for Wilson's make-or-break-year, this is price worth paying.

Ekwonu & Deebo from picks 4 and 10, even if it means we can't recoup capital via trade down, is pretty good.

It sucks that Becton and Mims didn't work out. But we've got surplus assets from two great trades.

Let's take a risk here.

My thoughts, too. Costly stuff, but it’s make or break for Zach Wilson. And if you recoup a two for Becton, it will at least feel like a win. 

• Upvote 2

I heard Bucky Brooks say this today, that the Niners won’t even blink because they can just slide Aiyuk into the Deebo slot and draft someone like Drake London or Treylon Burks to be their slot guy. 

Its true. Jets are being played and their fans dont have the patience to wee a rebuild through.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

Makes you wonder why the jets don’t just draft london.  If the ask is absurd i think the jets are better off taking a wr and having him on a rookie deal.  Truth if london actually ran a decent 40 he wouldn’t be there at 10 anyway.

My guess is that they’re worried about Zach Wilson and they want a veteran receiver who will be ready on day one.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

More than likely we overpay in draft capital, contract and get this dude for three good years, maybe four.

It's never ideal unless you draft the superstar yourself.

I'd say for Wilson's make-or-break-year, this is a price worth paying.

Ekwonu & Deebo from picks 4 and 10, even if it means we can't recoup capital via trade down, is pretty good.

It sucks that Becton and Mims didn't work out. But we've got surplus assets from two great trades.

Let's take a risk here.

Joe agrees with you. 

1 minute ago, RVAJet815 said:

LaFleur had him in SF. I'd really think they know what they're getting. 

He's a damn good player but doesnt it feel like we already have his skillset on this offense?

I'll take him on the team, sure but #10 + 30 mill a year might be overpaying. We are not trading for a traditional #1 WR here. 

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

My guess is that they’re worried about Zach Wilson and they want a veteran receiver who will be ready on day one.

My guess is that woody is back and is putting the screws to douglas to improve quickly and knows that a veteran wr makes it easier for wilson next year.  But I’ve come around to believe that london will be a good wr in the league, he’s a beast and can run routes.  

Just now, Gastineau Lives said:

We'd at least give ourselves a shot to compete offensively with anyone. It would all be on Kapono and if he isn't the guy none of this would matter because we're ****ed anyway.

I was definitely one those White Knighting for the boogie boarder because he had no offensive line and no weapons.

It turns out he just sucked. 

Bringing in Deebo after this free agency (and likely adding a tackle @ 4)?

Now there's no excuses. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Imagine going into the draft with 9 picks, getting Ekwonu and Deebo on day one. Then trading Becton for a day 2 pick and Mims for a day 3 pick, which would allow them to start day 2 still with 9 picks.

Just now, Barton said:

He's a damn good player but doesnt it feel like we already have his skillset on this offense?

I'll take him on the team, sure but #10 + 30 mill a year might be overpaying. We are not trading for a traditional #1 WR here. 

No that's true, but we don't have anyone with that combination of speed, size, and playmaking ability. We need an established wr1, and he is that. Now I don't want to see an overpay either. I'm not a "get him at all costs" type. If they can't do 10, maybe 69 for Deebo, I say thanks but no thanks. I agree that this is probably Woody's eagerness to make a splash. Within reason, I like it. Any more than that and I'm good just taking Jamo and moving on. 

Yeah, Jets fans aren't patient. 
Great argument!

They arent. Replace Deebo with Laveon Bell and you have the same thing just a few years ago. They need to see this through. They accumulated these picks to have flexibility and take advantage of a desperate team if possible. Not to blow half of it on a wide receiver.

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

My thoughts, too. Costly stuff, but it’s make or break for Zach Wilson. And if you recoup a two for Becton, it will at least feel like a win. 

Honestly I don’t have a strong enough stake in Deebo to hate or love #10 for him and his contract. We haven’t been even able to get to place where extending a player let alone a Receiver has been a pinch point for us. I’d like it better if Deebo was 6’5 but whatever 

really this is about Tight Ends for me.

Every decision the jets make gets put through a “how does this increase the chances of us drafting incredible Tight Ends” machine. So far this off-season has not been kind. This trade will assure day 2 is defense across the board. Boo. 

Just now, T0mShane said:

Because if Zach Wilson is still garbage eight games in to this season, he will lose his job.

Eh, QB sucking in year 2 is usually a built-in excuse to stay employed another year for HC/GM.

High picks usually get more time.

Just now, RSJ said:

They arent. Replace Deebo with Laveon Bell and you have the same thing just a few years ago. They need to see this through. They accumulated these picks to have flexibility and take advantage of a desperate team if possible. Not to blow half of it on a wide receiver.

"Half" of what? You think they are trading "half" of their picks? Hyperbole?

Also, comparing a 26 year old WR entering his prime to a running back is . . . silly 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RSJ said:

You want to trade a ton for a WR who has had one good season. He also played in a system tailored for his talent. Winning organizations dont do this. What consistently winning organization does this? Which one?

He's played three ******* seasons. Using this last season, the very last thing Deebo did on a football field, Tyreek Hill has had one good season.

16 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

With the rumor of Moore being asked for in a deal and the Eagles possibly being in the mix, it makes me wonder if they are offering Reagor (who is supposedly on the block per reports today) and one of their #1s for Deebo. That would explain the player & pick from us speculation. 

Give them Berrios (as much as I love him).

I know one poster who that would make happy.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

Honestly I don’t have a strong enough stake in Deebo to hate or love #10 for him and his contract. We haven’t been even able to get to place where extending a player let alone a Receiver has been a pinch point for us. I’d like it better if Deebo was 6’5 but whatever 

really this is about Tight Ends for me.

Every second decision the jets make gets put through a “how does this increase the chances of us drafting incredible Tight Ends” machine. So far this off-season has not been kind. This trade will assure day 2 is defense across the board. Boo. 

Imo, they weren’t going to let another tight end into the rotation anyway. Uzomah and Vikings Mullet Guy are going to eat up all those snaps.