The Merged Trade for Deebo Samuel Thread

11 minutes ago, varjet said:

OJ hit it on the head for me.  Why would a team that almost made it to the Super Bowl get rid of one of its best offensive weapons?   Paying weapons like Deebo is how you go to the Super Bowl, even if it means you crash later. 

Well…the 49ers created a mess for themselves by drafting an QB at 3, who may not be very good, in addition to having to pay Jimmy G.  So why would the Jets who picked a QB at 2 in the 2021 draft be willing to pay Deebo (plus a draft pick) whereas the 49ers who picked a QB at 3 in that same draft won’t. Does not make sense to me.  Yes, the Jets do not have to pay Jimmy G, but we pay Mosley and others.   

If I am the 49ers I am trading one of Jimmy or Lance Asap.  

But the 49ers know that Woody is switched on here and looking to do something stupid, and they are willing to cash that in and roll with Aiyuk and the draft picks they will get from the Jets.  I think both teams are going to screw this up.  

49ers are going to have to pay Bosa $30 million per year soon.  They have 33 FA's next year including 6 starters and a number of other very important depth payers. And only $37 million in cap space to do so. That's why they don't pay Deebo if they get a deal they like. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Bills won a Super Bowl? Bills are a good team - but lets not confuse them with the 1992 Cowboys.

Yeah those teams picked the right QBs and they developed them. Similarly they also picked and developed the right guys at other positions too. Where was TJ Watt selected again? See the pattern?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

So a trade is only a success if you win the Super Bowl? You're moving the goal posts. There's nothing remotely negative you can realistically say about the Diggs trade. That was a homerun. 

Believe whatever you want. Like you said, the trade probably won't happen anyway. 

And FYI, take a game away from Deebo last year - Coles still never had a season that good here. Deebo averaged 18 yards per catch last season. 

• Upvote 3

So a trade is only a success if you win the Super Bowl? You're moving the goal posts. There's nothing remotely negative you can realistically say about the Diggs trade. That was a homerun. 
Believe whatever you want. Like you said, the trade probably won't happen anyway. 
And FYI, take a game away from Deebo last year - Coles still never had a season that good here. Deebo averaged 18 yards per catch last season. 

Ok so we arent trying to win a super bowl now? Whats the goal here then?

Maybe the Diggs trade was good or maybe they could have kept the pick, picked a WR to develop him cheaper and a defender to get KC off the field in OT. Buffalo isnt that great anyway. The AFC East was down last year. Jets were young, NE was developing a QB and Miami isnt that good.

Deebo has a long way to go to have a career as good as Coles and he is two years in age behind him.

2 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Maybe the Diggs trade was good or maybe they could have kept the pick, picked a WR to develop him cheaper and a defender to get KC off the field in OT. Buffalo isnt that great anyway. The AFC East was down last year. Jets were young, NE was developing
a QB and Miami isnt that good.

Deebo has a long way to go to have a career as good as Coles and he is two years in age behind him.

Maybe the Diggs trade was good. Right. 

Maybe I've had enough of this very silly discussion. 

Enjoy your night. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, varjet said:

OJ hit it on the head for me.  Why would a team that almost made it to the Super Bowl get rid of one of its best offensive weapons?   Paying weapons like Deebo is how you go to the Super Bowl, even if it means you crash later. 

Well…the 49ers created a mess for themselves by drafting an QB at 3, who may not be very good, in addition to having to pay Jimmy G.  So why would the Jets who picked a QB at 2 in the 2021 draft be willing to pay Deebo (plus a draft pick) whereas the 49ers who picked a QB at 3 in that same draft won’t. Does not make sense to me.  Yes, the Jets do not have to pay Jimmy G, but we pay Mosley and others.   

If I am the 49ers I am trading one of Jimmy or Lance Asap.  

But the 49ers know that Woody is switched on here and looking to do something stupid, and they are willing to cash that in and roll with Aiyuk and the draft picks they will get from the Jets.  I think both teams are going to screw this up.  

the 49ers are not trading a QB because 1) they traded up for Lance and 2) Garrapolo is coming off an injury and is not healthy now and they can't get value for him.  They do not want to trade Lance because they believe his is their future and they have no buyers from JG coming off shoulder surgery ( I think). So they are stuck.

1 hour ago, RSJ said:

Maybe the Diggs trade was good or maybe they could have kept the pick, picked a WR to develop him cheaper and a defender to get KC off the field in OT. Buffalo isnt that great anyway. The AFC East was down last year. Jets were young, NE was developing a QB and Miami isnt that good.

What is so hard to understand?  The Jets need and want a sure thing and do not want to bet it all on draft picks if they can help it.  Not every highly drafted receiver is worth it.  Samuel gives them WR1 production right from the start.  

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, RSJ said:

Coles had 1264 yards in his third season, in 16 games, and he wasnt 26 years old, he was 24. But continue……...

Yeah you know there's agenda's when you're seeing sh*t like this. 

Coles turned 25 in December of 02.

Deebo turned 26 in January of 22. 

There literally wasn't even 12 months between their respective ages let alone 2 years. And Coles peaked with that year. Deebo literally scored twice as many touchdowns last season as Coles ever did in a single season and got 1700+ all purpose yards. The comparison is absurd. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Yeah you know there's agenda's when you're seeing sh*t like this. 
Coles turned 25 in December of 02.
Deebo turned 26 in January of 22. 
There literally wasn't even 12 months between their respective ages let alone 2 years. And Coles peaked with that year. Deebo literally scored twice as many touchdowns last season as Coles ever did in a single season and got 1700+ all purpose yards. The comparison is absurd. 
Coles also played in an era where is was much harder to make a reception.

What is so hard to understand?  The Jets need and want a sure thing and do not want to bet it all on draft picks if they can help it.  Not every highly drafted receiver is worth it.  Samuel gives them WR1 production right from the start.  
He better... anything less that 1200 yards an 10 tds would be and abject failure.

The goals are to build a perennial winner with strength throughout the roster, see improvement in execution accross the board, see elevated play over last year from Wilson, contend for the division title yearly, have a healthy balance sheet and not overload one single guy ala Watson, make better hot dogs, get better uniforms.

If that takes another year to come to fruition I'm good w that.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Jets4Life1979 said:

On the 49ers message boards they're already predictably turning on Deebo, saying he sucks, he's overrated....starting to whine and moan already

https://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/191946-1st-team-all-pro-deebo-samuel-wr-south-carolina/page382/

Look what they thought of him by the end of the season. Comparisons to Bo Jackson, Terrell Owens and Goku.

Also props to the guy worried about his contract situation. Nailed it. 

16 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Coles also played in an era where is was much harder to make a reception.

This would have been a better point to make but Coles still never finished top 5 in receiving for a season, let alone top 5 in yards from scrimmage. He was just never the explosive threat Deebo was and to pretend otherwise is insane.

The concern with Deebo and the only legitimate one is injuries. You do wonder if after getting paid he will still play through any niggles. I still think it's worth the risk, certainly when looking at the WR's available in the draft and right now the priority still has to be giving Zach Wilson every opportunity to succeed. 

With Deebo we instantly have an elite set of WR's. A high end 1, 2, 3 and 4. That is how you help a QB. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

https://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/191946-1st-team-all-pro-deebo-samuel-wr-south-carolina/page382/
Look what they thought of him by the end of the season. Comparisons to Bo Jackson, Terrell Owens and Goku.
"We should honestly consider drafting his replacement. It's unlikely he'll have a long career." ... that guy ?

11 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

You’d think the 9ers would’ve squashed the Pauline report by now to control their fans expectations.

You have to think we are in negotiations with the 9ers as we speak  

But shefter has nothing?

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Here is the latest…The Jets have a chance..

no fu*&kng way do we send 10 overall and  our 2 second round picks unless Bosa is coming too... lol

Deebo for 10 and a later pick or a player, maybe / probably. but not the 2 second round picks included also. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

Thank you for the link.

It is amazing that some of those fans literally predicted the current contract problems and that the 49ers brass couldn’t foresee this situation coming is stunning to me. 

It just reinforces the reality of just because you are a FO guy doesn’t mean you know what you are doing.  

• Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, choon328 said:

49ers are going to have to pay Bosa $30 million per year soon.  They have 33 FA's next year including 6 starters and a number of other very important depth payers. And only $37 million in cap space to do so. That's why they don't pay Deebo if they get a deal they like. 

Let’s take the Bosa problem off their hands too.

Deebo and Bosa for 10, 38, and a future 2023 pick.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Every hour closer to the Draft Deebo isn’t a Jet I’m happy. I don’t want him.

I don't want him for some of the crazy prices that are being thrown around out there on Twatter - two #1s plus Elijah Moore, FFS.

He's Deebo Samuel, not Jerry Rice.

I'd give up our 10 for Deebo, and even then I would feel like I overpaid.

• Upvote 4