The Merged Trade for Deebo Samuel Thread

1 minute ago, Larz said:

This is a super boring draft.  They are reporting on each other’s opinions 

Seriously?

Hard disagree. 

This is the most interesting draft in years. Everyone is guessing about picks 1-10. No clear consensus guy. Disagreements about the best edge, OL, WR. Total chaos. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

One good year of production? He had 1800 yards averaging over 18 yards a reception! Hes only 26 and probably the best offensive weapon in football. And Jets fans don’t want him cause of why? We have to pay him?

Ok and he still only had one good year of production. Nothing you said counters that argument. 

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Look, I'm not interested in him at an inflated cost but the injury but is there for everyone.  Fact is he started 15 of 16 in year one and 16 of 17th year 3 producing really good numbers.  

Look at his injuries in college as well and not just in the nfl. 

25 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

The teams who made runs in this years playoffs ALL had a superstar WR.  “Weaponz” is real.   You can’t be aggressive in the trade market often, but this is the time to do it 

Those teams also had above average QB's. Get Deebo and let Zach eat.

1 minute ago, sec143dmf said:

Ok and he still only had one good year of production. Nothing you said counters that argument. 

So wait clear something up for me cause I think I’m missing your point here. You’re saying what exactly? Deebo is a fluke? He’s not that good?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

We just better be 100% clear as to why he wants out of frisco before any deal.  As I've said before Deebo is unicorn Deebo because of the running aspect of his game and all you can do to stress a defense.  If he insists on just being a WR well he will be a good one but so are adams and hill thus zero reason to pay more contract or draft pick wise.

I'll have zero issue with douglas if we end u not making a trade for him is SF wants too much.  Others will just kill him.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

So wait clear something up for me cause I think I’m missing your point here. You’re saying what exactly? Deebo is a fluke? He’s not that good?

He's saying I need someone to be prime Jerry Rice for at least eight years before I give up on my chance at taking a player who was destroying Akron and Purdue.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

The teams who made runs in this years playoffs ALL had a superstar WR.  “Weaponz” is real.   You can’t be aggressive in the trade market often, but this is the time to do it 

Yup.  And those weapons were cooper kupp, jamar chase, tee higgins, Joe Mixon, Cam Akers, Tyler Boyd, CJ uzomah, Tyler Higbee, van jeffereson etc.

All drafted by their teams.

None of those "weaponz" were acquired by trading valuable picks and then making them the highest paid non-qb in the league.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Never called him a fluke. What I have said is giving up a high first round pick and what is likely to be a multi year contract at over 25/mill a year is a bit concerning. I’d love the player but if joe gives up anything more then the 10th pick I will feel like we are setting ourselves back. 

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Yup.  And those weapons were cooper kupp, jamar chase, tee higgins, Joe Mixon, Cam Akers, Tyler Boyd, CJ uzomah, Tyler Higbee, van jeffereson etc.

None of those "weaponz" were acquired by trading valuable picks and then making them the highest paid non-qb in the league.

None of those things have to do with the value of a player on the football field to your team. You think the Bills give a **** about the four picks they gave up for Diggs?

6 minutes ago, sec143dmf said:

Never called him a fluke. What I have said is giving up a high first round pick and what is likely to be a multi year contract at over 25/mill a year is a bit concerning. I’d love the player but if joe gives up anything more then the 10th pick I will feel like we are setting ourselves back. 

Ok well I can agree with you on that statement. Seeing what all these other WRs have been traded for pick 10 is probably over paying a bit. But at the end of the day who cares? They need to do everything they can to support their young QB and bringing in a proven stud is a no brainer. JD would have turned Jamal Adams into AVT and Deebo Samuel. 

We have a ton of cap space and a QB on a rookie contract. If you’re worried about cap space for next year they have a lot more coming off the books as well if they want to. Plus the cap is going up every year and some predict it’ll hit $300m in a few year. So giving Deebo a 4 year $100m contract doesn’t even mean that much to our current situation.

12 hours ago, RSJ said:

You want to trade a ton for a WR who has had one good season. He also played in a system tailored for his talent. Winning organizations dont do this. What consistently winning organization does this? Which one?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The Rams, Bills, Chiefs, Steelers, Seahawks and Broncos have been pretty liberal with trading draft capital for proven talent. All are usually always in the mix for playoff spots.
Ramsey, Miller, and Stafford seem to be good trades for both sides. 
steelers traded their first for Minkah Fitz. Chiefs traded a first in 2019 for Frank Clark and a 3rd.  
Seattle went for it with Jimmy Graham in 2015 giving the saints Max Unger and a 1st rounder then went for it again with Jamal Adams. The Colts struck out on Wentz but landed on Buckner for the 13th overall pick in 2020. 
the league is littered with first round trades.

I would say there are plenty of perennial playoff teams going for it with big draft capital trades. Not saying it always works but there are bold moves being made by plenty of  good franchises. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Robert Woods, OBJ, Matt Stafford, Jalen Ramsey

5 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

You think the Bills regret trading for Stefon Diggs? Every now and then a star player, who's a proven commodity, becomes available and you strike with a trade to acquire said star player. You don't draft an entire team, Joe W. There are several avenues to build a great team. Thank Joe Douglas. Thank you. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Ok well I can agree with you on that statement. Seeing what all these other WRs have been traded for pick 10 is probably over paying a bit. But at the end of the day who cares? They need to do everything they can to support their young QB and bringing in a proven stud is a no brainer. JD would have turned Jamal Adams into AVT and Deebo Samuel. 

We have a ton of cap space and a QB on a rookie contract. If you’re worried about cap space for next year they have a lot more coming off the books as well if they want to. Plus the cap is going up every year and some predict it’ll hit $300m in a few year. So giving Deebo a 4 year $100m contract doesn’t even mean that much to our current situation.

We agree on a lot of points except the proven stud. To me he isn’t that yet. Maybe he will be but then you are gambling a lot on a maybe. In the end I hope it does the right thing for the QB and franchise. 

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The market says he is worth less than the 10th pick.  We are supposedly offering the 10th pick.  Nice player, I'd like him on the Jets.  I'll be aghast if we cough up more than the 10th pick in the draft.

I’d give up the 10th pick and if we had to a 4th and call it a day. Make the Niners cave, that’s the best offer they’ll get. The nonesense rumors out there that we offered 10,35, Moore, and a 2023 2nd are hilariously false 

Notable recent first round pick trades for vets:

Steelers - minkah Fitz

Chiefs - frank clark

patriots - Brandin Cooks 

seahwaks - Jamal adams and Jimmy Graham 

colts - deforest Buckner and Carson Wentz

bills - stephon Diggs 

Rams - Jalen Ramsey, Brandon cooks, and Matthew Stafford 

cowboys - amari cooper

bears - Khalil Mack 

it can be a gamble just like the draft but the majority of these trades worked out for both teams in certain ways. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Seriously?

Hard disagree. 

This is the most interesting draft in years. Everyone is guessing about picks 1-10. No clear consensus guy. Disagreements about the best edge, OL, WR. Total chaos. 

I was lying awake last night wondering if Ikey goes #1 we have a shot at a corner 

no clear consensus because it’s weak af lol

18 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

None of those things have to do with the value of a player on the football field to your team. You think the Bills give a **** about the four picks they gave up for Diggs?

Yes.  That was a horrible trade for the bills.  They could have Justin Jefferson and an extra $25 million to spend right now.

The Diggs example is so bad its mind boggling.  If the Bills could go back they would have never made that trade.

• Haha 1