The Merged Trade for Deebo Samuel Thread

Stay calm folks. JD is at the wheel. It’s #10 and a day 3 pick. Still an overpay but worth the risk.

If these trade packages were real, Seattle and Tennessee would be fighting to trade their disgruntled WR to the Jets.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, GangGreen Machine said:

It sucks to say but the odds of all four picks (4,10,35,38) hitting are astronomical. Meaning they are starting level players throughout their rookie deal and receive second contracts with the Jets. 
you’re lucky if 2 of those picks make a lasting impact on this team. Why not make one of those picks Deebo? 

Agreed. The only pushback against that is that you increase your chances of landing a stud by having extra picks in the 1st 2 rounds. But yeah, a guy like Deebo is a young stud so the only negative is that you have to pay him now. But we have a rookie QB so now is the time to make that kind of move. 

Plus he is literally built for the Jets offense. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

tom brady was a 6th round pick.  i guess you'd rather have kenny pickett who is a better prospect coming out than brady was...

Now we are comparing a receiver who has had 1 good season to the best football player of all time.

Jet fans............... SMH

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Agreed. The only pushback against that is that you increase your chances of landing a stud by having extra picks in the 1st 2 rounds. But yeah, a guy like Deebo is a young stud so the only negative is that you have to pay him now. But we have a rookie QB so now is the time to make that kind of move. 

Plus he is literally built for the Jets offense. 

The negatives to Samuel are the niggling injuries and the wear and tear his style may bring - He invites contact even as a receiver. We had those concerns with Enunwa at the start of his Jets career and it ruined him.  

Beyond that though he's just about the surest thing you could ever bring to the Jets - More so than Hill, Brown, Metcalf and maybe even Adams. Fits seamlessly into the system and perfect underneath guy for the QB whose main struggles have been throwing downfield. Hell we seen Braxton Berrios thrive getting turning upfield with those passes - Deebo will feast. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, varjet said:

The 49ers are fishing for an offer they can’t refuse.  They know Woody is involved.  

Woody was around when Tyreek was available and we didn't even offer a 1st round pick. I doubt Woody impacts the situation at all. The Jets haven't overpaid for anyone the last couple of years. We have traded away our best player. Woody isn't going to suddenly step in and force JD to do something JD doesn't want to do. There is literally zero history of that since JD has been here. But it's a fun Jetnation talking point. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

People can complain about JD all they want, but being undisciplined is not one of them. I highly doubt that's close to the compensation, they'd walk away way sooner before it got to that point.

Agreed. I’m one of the biggest JD critics on the board but I don’t have any concern that he’ll overpay. He’s not going to give up more than #10 and maybe a mid round pick. Elijah is untouchable. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Now we are comparing a receiver who has had 1 good season to the best football player of all time.

Jet fans............... SMH

you are the one comparing people who never took a snap in the nfl to someone who has put up an all pro season based on their respective draft spots.

you said those guys were better "prospects" than deebo, assumedly because they are picked to go in the 1st and deebo was a 2nd rounder.  that is a flawed way of evaluating players when one guy has shown he can played and excel in the nfl.

corey davis was the #5 pick and john ross was the #9 pick in 2017.  you'd probably rather them then the guy taken #69 (or #84) that year, being they were better "prospects" 

38 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

What if the throw in was a fourth? Would you let that get in the way?

Lets elevate it to a 2nd rounder....or a 2nd and elijah moore, or 2 2nds and elijah moore as well?

It's easy to play that game.  How far would you go.

I did a mock draft in the draft forum, with this trade.  It was the 10th pick and a swap of later round picks as the add in.  That's how far I would go.

If this bidding gets too crazy and the Jets aren't enamored with any of the WR's then pass on Deebo, pass on a WR in the 1st round and bring in Jarvis Landry.  Professional WR who can get open and make life easy for a young QB.  The Jets obviously want a vet WR to play an important role in the offense and don't want to count on a rookie WR to make an impact early.  These moves would make some sense then.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

I haven’t been able to follow this saga as much as I’d like to. What’s the reason here? The amount of draft capital it would take to get him? At some point we need to give Zach a proven playmaker, I think he fits the system perfectly even though it’s slightly different than what Shanahan runs. 

Prohibitive Cost, both draft capital and cap costs. Deep receiver class, to many holes on the roster to fill.

Limited production history, doesn’t want to be used in the versatile way he’s been used in San Francisco. No guarantee that he doesn’t mail it in after getting paid. No thanks. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Prohibitive Cost, both draft capital and cap costs. Deep receiver class, to many holes on the roster to fill.

Limited production history, doesn’t want to be used in the versatile way he’s been used in San Francisco. No guarantee that he doesn’t mail it in after getting paid. No thanks. 

This is beautiful.  Good thing Joe D thinks like we do.

• Haha 1