The Merged Trade for Deebo Samuel Thread

1 minute ago, GreenFish said:

Damn. 22.6 mph is really fast.

I wonder if we see him as a big slot. I remember watching GB and seeing them use big WR in the slots.

22.6 MPH  is fast for top end speed but the question is, how fast can he get to that top speed? His acceleration from a stop to sprint is slow. That's why he ducked the 40. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, choon328 said:

22.6 MPH  is fast for top end speed but the question is, how fast can he get to that top speed? His acceleration from a stop to sprint is slow. That's why he ducked the 40. 

True. So we can confirm he has elite top end speed, but have question marks on his acceleration. Would have been nice to get some combine stats.

Been watching some highlights of him since he os likely our target at 10. He is pretty sudden at the top of his route tree. I dont understand why he doesn't get more separation. Guess that confirms the acceleration concerns. He gets open. Just that the window closes quickly. Luckily Zach has a cannon.

4 hours ago, derp said:

That speed, which was in high school right, doesn’t ever show up.

And he ducked the 40.

Drake london improved on his hs top end speed of 21 ish. 

If he wasn't coming off a fractured ankle they could have probably trained him down to the 4.55-4.6 range like those other guys 

He's not sub 4.5 and he might not even be sub 4.6 but that's not his game. 

But if they draft this guy it's not so he can run away from defenders or break tackles 

It's because he's a rebounder type who will catch back shoulder routes, fades and whatever other trash Zach throws. He helps ZW the most on day 1. He is more like a Plaxico Burress than a Keyshawn. Or tee Higgins maybe. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

If he wasn't coming off a fractured ankle they could have probably trained him down to the 4.55-4.6 range like those other guys 

But if they draft this guy it's not so he can run away from defenders or break tackles 

It's because he's a rebounder type who will catch back shoulder routes, fades and whatever other trash Zach throws. He helps ZW the most on day 1. He is more like a Plaxico Burress than a Keyshawn. Or tee Higgins maybe. 

he’s an interesting prospect.

he has really quick feet for a guy that size. The thing I’d like to see him get a little better at is YAC. 

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

He's a man vs boys in college - Literally. It's risky to think that dominance will carry over against elite athletes. 

It either will or it wont and that's the gamble with him, because if it doesn't he has literally nothing else to fall back on. He could be Plaxico Burress, he could be Mike Williams and the lack of separation kills him at the next level.

Not a risk I want to take in the top 10. I'd sooner go with Wilson or Williams if we're going WR. 

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

I don’t think he’s sub 4.6, agree that’s not his game, and said that doesn’t prevent him from being a good player in my other posts.

Higgins got downfield in college and the pros in a way I don’t see from London in college.

I don’t think you know what you’re getting day one, he’s so new to the sport and that contested skill set doesn’t always translate the same.

Also Wilson was such a downfield guy in college and got drafted early for the big arm. I don’t entirely get taking a guy who can’t factor in there at all.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

He's a man vs boys in college - Literally. It's risky to think that dominance will carry over against elite athletes. 

It either will or it wont and that's the gamble with him, because if it doesn't he has literally nothing else to fall back on. He could be Plaxico Burress, he could be Mike Williams and the lack of separation kills him at the next level.

Not a risk I want to take in the top 10. I'd sooner go with Wilson or Williams if we're going WR. 

If he was physically dominating guys at 23 I’d be completely out but at least he won’t even be 21 on draft day. Instead I’m more cautious than out. It’s hard to tell how he’ll translate.

I do think his basketball background helps him separate a little on the ground with quickness versus speed and in the air but I don’t know how much his catch point dominance got college defenders to start reps on their heels.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Dear god they’re gonna drag this all the way out until we’re on the clock at 10? Jesus

Doubtful.  I think if Joe were really willing up give away 10 the deal would have been done by now.  It’s more likely we draft there or possibly trade down 

9 hours ago, derp said:

He had one play over 50 yards in his college career on tons of touches and that’s a great example of him getting caught from behind after he got a step on defenders. He certainly doesn’t play fast.

Mike Evans who he gets compared to and ran a 4.53 ran away from guys in college. Treylon Burks who ran a 4.55 ran away from guys in college. Drake London didn’t run away from guys in college. That speed, which was in high school right, doesn’t ever show up.

And he ducked the 40.

He's not Mike Evans. Put Evans Texas tech footage side by side with drake. Their is a clear difference. Evans was way more explosive and physical. He compares more favorably to mile williams college tape.

I really don't care if we give up 10 for Deebo, I don't want Elijah Moore anywhere near this deal. We make one pick in the last 10 years that looks legit and we're all ready to give him away. DON'T DO IT !!!!! The Niners are on the spot , not us. They can't pay Jimmy G, Bosa, and Deebo . They 're stuck with Jimmy until he could prove he recovers. Deebo isn't coming back ,so it's the perfect scenario to underpay for a star. I give them a 2 and a three and "maybe " a 3 next year.

If we are going to get Deebo, and that is a big if, I would rather just give up 10 than a package of day 2 picks.

I know the draft chart says 10 is more valuable than 35, 38 & 69. But this draft is deep on days 2 and 3, but weak at the top. I would be happier with Deebo a pick at 4 and three day 2 picks than Deebo 4 and 10. Plus if we are going to have to pay him $25M, I would rather have a few more guys on rookie deals during the length of Deebo’s contract.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 4

Just now, Lith said:

If we are going to get Deebo, and that is a big if, I would rather just give up 10 than a package of day 2 picks.

I know the draft chart says 10 is more valuable than 35, 38 & 69. But this draft is deep on days 2 and 3, but weak at the top. I would be happier with Deebo a pick at 4 and three day 2 picks than Deebo 4 and 10. Plus if we are going to have to pay him $25M, I would rather have a few more guys on rookie deals during the length of Deebo’s contract.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Yup.

You're hoping to get one solid starter from that pick anyways. Deebo is that and more.

The Jets need to pick well and get some solid depth on the team as well. 

That said I think there's pretty much no chance of this happening now. If it does then we'd be fools to pay anything more than #10 and maybe a much later pick or two. 

57 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Ryan Leaf has an interesting take… 
Simple, Do not pay Wide Receivers!

Of course not.  WRs are a dime a dozen now.  They are going the way of the RB.  Dont pay for one, just draft one.

Look at this draft.  Its absolutley loaded at WR.  Trading picks for Deebo and then making him the highest paid non QB in the league would be worse then anything Mike McCagnan ever did.

Stay the course Joe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Thumb Down 1

28 minutes ago, Big Snell said:

I really don't care if we give up 10 for Deebo, I don't want Elijah Moore anywhere near this deal. We make one pick in the last 10 years that looks legit and we're all ready to give him away. DON'T DO IT !!!!! The Niners are on the spot , not us. They can't pay Jimmy G, Bosa, and Deebo . They 're stuck with Jimmy until he could prove he recovers. Deebo isn't coming back ,so it's the perfect scenario to underpay for a star. I give them a 2 and a three and "maybe " a 3 next year.

Literally nobody is ready to give him away. Not jets fans, not jd. Just wishful niners fans asking for the moon.