The Merged Trade for Deebo Samuel Thread

58 minutes ago, Lith said:

If we are going to get Deebo, and that is a big if, I would rather just give up 10 than a package of day 2 picks.

I know the draft chart says 10 is more valuable than 35, 38 & 69. But this draft is deep on days 2 and 3, but weak at the top. I would be happier with Deebo a pick at 4 and three day 2 picks than Deebo 4 and 10. Plus if we are going to have to pay him $25M, I would rather have a few more guys on rookie deals during the length of Deebo’s contract.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

100% Spot on. There is no guarantee we can trade pick 4 or 10 for much at this point.  Trading 10 keeps all picks intact.

• Upvote 1

The grim reality of this draft, and the NFL generally, is that a player picked at 10 in 2022 is highly unlikely to be as good as Deebo would be (who was drafted in the second round).  

We should just try our luck with one or both of Skyy Moore and Christian Watson in the second round

12 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Many of you will disagree I’m sure, but picking a player at #10 tonight instead of having Deebo in the fold is going to be a letdown.

JD better knock it out of the park with this selection, because rightly or wrongly, if it’s a WR we’re always going to compare the two.

Yes, picking Jameson Willimas or Garrett Wilson who are much better prospects coming out then Deebo was and will cost a fraction of Deebo will really put a damper on tonight.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, derp said:

Not that he sucks, that he’s slow.

It’s pretty simple, he’s completely uncovered, runs past guys with them going in the other direction, has a clear path to the endzone with their momentum going the wrong way and then they turn around and catch him.

If you can’t see that I don’t know what to tell you. Guys don’t need to be fast to be good receivers, but London doesn’t have good top end speed.

Burks ran a 4.55 and outran Alabama guys with an angle for a long touchdown. London had one career play over 50 yards. He should’ve scored on this play. He’s slow.

And yet this human-turtle crossbreed somehow managed to catch 88 passes for over 1k yards last year.  If he can reliably get first downs, I can live without the home-run speed.  There was an old poll about what type of player you would prefer and one of the choices was a RB who *always* ran for 2.4 yards.  Not sexy, but an absolute no-brainer.  Keenan Allen ran a 4.71 40 before his draft.  I guess he didn't get the memo that slow guys can't catch passes in the NFL.  

Look, I'm not saying London is the best choice, but I think the weird amount of derision he gets here after putting up good numbers for 3 years on a team that lacked much else in terms of high-end talent is weird.  If he's a Jet, I'm excited to see him play, not writing him off as a disaster before he gets to his first OTA.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Yes, picking Jameson Willimas or Garrett Wilson who are much better prospects coming out then Deebo was and will cost a fraction of Deebo will really put a damper on tonight.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I like you Joe W, and enjoy your schtick, but you need to realize how stupid it is to keep repeating “so and so is a better prospect coming out than Deebo.”

Deebo has actually proven he’s an elite player in this league. That trumps the “prospect” thing, no?

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Green Ghost said:

I like you Jen, and enjoy your schtick, but you need to realize how stupid it is to keep repeating “so and so is a better prospect coming out than Deebo.”

Deebo has actually proven he’s an elite player in this league. That trumps what type of “prospect” he was coming out, no?

You are correct. Which is why I want to trade for Deebo. But the same could have been said before the Bills traded a 1st to the Vikings for Diggs and the Vikings had to settle for a "prospect" named Justin Jefferson with that pick. Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make. Only time will tell. 

4 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I like you Joe W, and enjoy your schtick, but you need to realize how stupid it is to keep repeating “so and so is a better prospect coming out than Deebo.”

Deebo has actually proven he’s an elite player in this league. That trumps the “prospect” thing, no?

I dont think so.  To me, it means there is a better chance they can be the player Deebo is and have a higher ceiling.

• WTF? 1

33 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Many of you will disagree I’m sure, but picking a player at #10 tonight instead of having Deebo in the fold is going to be a letdown.

JD better knock it out of the park with this selection, because rightly or wrongly, if it’s a WR we’re always going to compare the two.

JD can't force the 49ers to trade him 

29 minutes ago, nycdan said:

And yet this human-turtle crossbreed somehow managed to catch 88 passes for over 1k yards last year.  If he can reliably get first downs, I can live without the home-run speed.  There was an old poll about what type of player you would prefer and one of the choices was a RB who *always* ran for 2.4 yards.  Not sexy, but an absolute no-brainer.  Keenan Allen ran a 4.71 40 before his draft.  I guess he didn't get the memo that slow guys can't catch passes in the NFL.  

Look, I'm not saying London is the best choice, but I think the weird amount of derision he gets here after putting up good numbers for 3 years on a team that lacked much else in terms of high-end talent is weird.  If he's a Jet, I'm excited to see him play, not writing him off as a disaster before he gets to his first OTA.

You’re responding to things I didn’t say. I’ve been pretty clear you don’t need to be fast to be a good NFL receiver. Literally within the post you quoted: “Guys don’t need to be fast to be good receivers”.

But, he’s slow. That’s a factor in his evaluation. Limits which areas of the field he can be used, doesn’t fit with how Wilson likes to throw deep, etc.

That stuff really matters when you took a QB at 2 last year and a guy you take at 10 is pretty much an every down guy. And your current best long term receiver isn’t really a deep ball guy either.

And none of that means you don’t take him. But it does factor into the decision making process.

Just now, nycdan said:

And another nobody drops a baseless rumor to get clicks.  Only in this case, he's going for the angry 49ers fan clicks.   I would love that trade.  49ers fans would burn the stadium down.  They have convinced themselves 10, 35, 69 and Elijah Moore isn't enough.  

At least this sounds like a reasonable offer.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, nycdan said:

And another nobody drops a baseless rumor to get clicks.  Only in this case, he's going for the angry 49ers fan clicks.   I would love that trade.  49ers fans would burn the stadium down.  They have convinced themselves 10, 35, 69 and Elijah Moore isn't enough.  

49ers reporters and commentators should be banned. They juiced up that fanbase beyond what is reasonable.

The 10th by itself is an overpay. But they've been convinced it’s not enough. 

29 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

A trade that I would support 100%

Ahhh, I love the guys who make predictions that can't be wrong no matter what happens.

If Deebo gets traded to the Jets - he's a genius.

If Deebo doesn't get traded to the Jets - it's only because the player the 49ers wanted wasn't available at 10.  What player was that?  WE WILL NEVER KNOW....but...."trujetsfans" will be "right" either way.

• Sympathy 1