The Merged Trade for Deebo Samuel Thread

15 minutes ago, section314 said:

If we are going to give up assets fora WR, he’s got to be a true , no doubt about it, #1. This guy doesn’t seem to be that player. 

Yeah. 1400 receiving yards and 300 rushing while not even playing with an elite qb. "Not a true #1"... laughable

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

It won’t be the same trade because the 49ers don’t have to move him. 

Neither did the chiefs with hill.  The chiefs actually offered hill a contract.  I'm not crazy about deebo that being said.  Like others have said.  He had one great year and is hurt alot

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

Another Facebook comment from Deebo Samuel’s brother: 

“He won’t be a 49er? that’s all that matters”

Well damn. 

Sounds like bad feelings, which might be good for the Jets. 

Not to do a typical thing, but if Douglas can't close this deal, and if there's no appeal for Deebo to play for Saleh and whoever he brought from the 49'ers org, then not only does that feel like a trade/GM fail on trading for Deebo in and of itself, but you have to question the coaching hire by the GM as well. 

I mean, if you hire a guy who is a part of this successful "system", and he brings over some coordinators etc, and then a guy who played in the system is like "Nah, I'm good, no thanks" then you'd have to think maybe the coach isn't that good or respected by guys who were there, therefore coaching fail. 

Of course, it could just merely be that the Jets reputation is that awful, so there's that. 

Not sold on the narrative I just posted but something to think about. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

35 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Zach Wilson was a one year wonder in college and was drafted #2.  

Zach was drafted for his skill-set and how they translate to the NFL.   Plenty of QB's put up big numbers in college and aren't #2 overall.

Deebo's traits as a college player had him drafted in the 3rd round.

Trading anything more than a second rounder and change for him would be a mistake.

• Upvote 3

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Zach was drafted for his skill-set and how they translate to the NFL.   Plenty of QB's put up big numbers in college and aren't #2 overall.

Deebo's traits as a college player had him drafted in the 3rd round.

Trading anything more than a second rounder and change for him would be a mistake.

So youre going off what he’s done in college instead of the NFL?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

So youre going off what he’s done in college instead of the NFL?

No, I'm responding to someone calling Wilson a one year wonder in college (which he wasn't) therefor he shouldn't have been drafted.  My point was ZW was drafted for his traits.  If you're applying college performance to the NFL then I can do the same with Deebo.  It nonsense to compare Zach in college to an NFL football player that's had one outstanding season in his 3 years...

And want to give up #10, #35 and pay $30mm a year...

People underestimate how much Jimmy G is loved by the players in SF.  If you watch SF play there is a toughness and commitment to each other that you don't see on a lot of good football teams.  Deebo may well be upset at the lack of loyalty to Jimmy G and all the wasted draft capital they gave up last year when management could have restocked the deck and they may well have been a SB contender for years. 

They gave up a lot of value for a project QB on a team that obviously was a legit SB contender.   That trade said the GM and HC didn't believe the team could get over the hump.  They showed the players in the locker room they didn't believe in them.  The players took that team one game from the SB.   Deebo plays with a lot of heart.  He might not like being on a team where the management and players are on a different page.  

Jimmy G may not be elite but he plays the game and leads the team with a lot of heart.  Kittle and Deebo play the game with heart and hard.  I suspect they are very close with Jimmy G and don't like what's going on.

• Upvote 2

This just feels like aggressive negotiations. Can't fathom why the 49ers would let Deebo move given how his skill set has come to define what Shanahan wants to do on offense. 

For that same reason, he'd seem a no brainer for us to pursue. 

With 10, 35 and $25mm...

I can have...

1. Deebo Samuel (one year of elite production in 3)

Or

with 10, 35 and $25mm I can have:

1. Jameson Williams
  2. Breece Hall
  3. Honey Badger
  4. Jedeveon Clowney

(could be any mix of picks or FA's - OBJ, Stefan Gilmore, JC Tretter, Akiem Hicks etc)

But I think you get my point....

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-100-best-available-2022-free-agents

• Upvote 2

I wouldn’t say “hard pass” on this guy, I mean he’s definitely talented, but valuable draft capital and a ton of money is a lot to give up for one player who has a significant injury history. I don’t see him living up to what he wants. Also, if he’s unhappy with the 49rs, wait’ll he gets a load of the Jets. 

37 minutes ago, sec143dmf said:

Neither did the chiefs with hill.  The chiefs actually offered hill a contract.  I'm not crazy about deebo that being said.  Like others have said.  He had one great year and is hurt alot

Hill wanted 30 million a year it was nowhere near what the Chiefs were offering. The Chiefs have a lot of money tied up going forward and once they knew they weren’t gonna meet his contract requirement he was gone he was going to be traded. There was only two teams willing to meet his contract demands along with giving up assets. 

6 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

This just feels like aggressive negotiations. Can't fathom why the 49ers would let Deebo move given how his skill set has come to define what Shanahan wants to do on offense. 

For that same reason, he'd seem a no brainer for us to pursue. 

I hear ya - and if this was two years ago I would have absolutely agreed with you...but the NFL has gotten a little wacky - Couldn't you say the same about Tyreek Hill or Russell Wilson?

When these guys get their minds set on leaving, there's little the organizations can do.  It sure does sound like Deebo just wants out at this point.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, sec143dmf said:

He had ONE YEAR where he missed more than one game. 

But let's discount his ONE YEAR of mvp level football by calling it a good year to help make a point.

Its also no small fact that his "one good year" came last season. It didn't happen in 2015.

18 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

This guy had an MVP worthy season last year.

He already knows and excels in our offseason.

He is entering the prime of his career.

We need a dynamic WR.

If SF will take the Tyreek deal... then get it done.

This isn't rocket science lol.

Some people here, will find a reason not to get or keep good players. Torture complex, or something. I don't get it. 

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I’d rather draft receiver at 4 and 10 than trade for Debo or DK. 

If you're trying to help Zach Wilson then there is literally nothing in the entirety of the universe that will do that more than getting Samuel on your roster. I don't mean a "Samuel level" player, I mean Deebo himself. He was an absolute monster in this system and can cover the faults of an even mediocre QB.

If you were trying to trade for Tyreek Hill you should be trying to trade for Deebo

If you were trying to trade for Davante Adams, you should be trying to trade for Deebo

If you're interested in trading for DK Metcalf you DEFINITELY should be trying to trade of Deebo

It's really not that hard.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

With 10, 35 and $25mm...

I can have...

1. Deebo Samuel (one year of elite production in 3)

Or

with 10, 35 and $25mm I can have:

1. Jameson Williams
  2. Breece Hall
  3. Honey Badger
  4. Jedeveon Clowney

(could be any mix of picks or FA's - OBJ, Stefan Gilmore, JC Tretter, Akiem Hicks etc)

But I think you get my point....

This is the sound logic I generally like to use in these situations. I prefer to be on the receiving end of these blockbuster deals (i.e.: receiving the picks). When you give up a couple high picks and big money, you’re giving up enough assets for a few good starters. With the #10 pick involved, you’re talking about a player who’s expected to be very good right away. The Jets crushed the Jamal Adams trade, for example, but the teams that traded away first rounders for guys like Diggs and Stafford are probably fairly pleased with how their trades worked out, too. 

It’s pretty obvious that the Jets really want to add a major piece to help jumpstart Zach and the offense, though, and I like that approach, too. JD is scrupulously frugal enough of the time that he can take a singular plunge like this if he’s feels it’s in the team’s best interest. 

I’ll have mixed feelings whichever way this goes down. I just know I want Zach put in the best possible position to succeed. There’s no doubt that Deebo Samuel would be a big help in that regard. 

• Upvote 4