The Merged Trade for Deebo Samuel Thread

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You could have said the same thing about the 4.53 running, separation-challenged, Mike Evans.

I am all for WRs that create separation, but not all great WRs are great because of their ability to create separation.  That is especially true for guys that are 6'5.

This.  At first when i watched london highlights i focused on the lack of separation.  This past week i focused more on how he used his body frame and height to create the separation rather than elite feet, but then you watch him run and he can evade tacklers.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

This.  At first when i watched london highlights i focused on the lack of separation.  This past week i focused more on how he used his body frame and height to create the separation rather than elite feet, but then you watch him run and he can evade tacklers.  

He just uses his body to create space and catches the ball and then bulls ahead for a few extra yards.  No, he's not Tyreek Hill but he was very productive and I think it may translate well to the NFL.  

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, CT Jets said:

I didn’t like the Robert salah hire because the bills have Sean McDermott and the pats have belichick … ?

so should they have just not even hired a coach ???

Precisely….no coach, just forfeit the season.  

He had a similar take years ago when we acquired Brandon Marshall….essentially saying we had no QB so there wasn’t any point to acquiring other pieces.  I know his job is to get viewers/listeners and riling up Jets fans is a good way to do so but that doesn’t erase any of his overall dooshbaggery. 

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

It's easy - you just pick future studs in the draft. No chance they'll be average or bad or bust, just draft all the studz.

Yep, just ask Denver.

They drafted a pair of studs in rounds 1 and 2 in 2020, and just to dot the "i" took another in round 7.

Easy peasy. 

6 minutes ago, nycdan said:

He just uses his body to create space and catches the ball and then bulls ahead for a few extra yards.  No, he's not Tyreek Hill but he was very productive and I think it may translate well to the NFL.  

Also for a guy that is "big and slow" he was used by USC a ton on short screens where he used his own unique abilities to make plays,  Generally those quick screens are reserved for the Berrios types, but London was a freak that was able to make plays despite not exactly being the quickest guy on the field. 

I am not even the biggest London fan. I like Wilson almost as much and if Jameson wasn't coming off an ACL I would likely like him a little more. The point is that many here will regret comparing him to scubs like Laquon Treadwell. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Also for a guy that is "big and slow" he was used by USC a ton on short screens where he used his own unique abilities to make plays,  Generally those quick screens are reserved for the Berrios types, but London was a freak that was able to make plays despite not exactly being the quickest guy on the field. 

I am not even the biggest London fan. I like Wilson almost as much and if Jameson wasn't coming off an ACL I would likely like him a little more. The point is that many here will regret comparing him to scubs like Laquon Treadwell. 

If Jamison did not tear his acl he would likely be wr1 in the draft and would not be there at 10.  London seems like a guy who may never be a true #1 but could be a solid 2 for many years and still be a prime contributor.  For a team starved for offensive playmakers for more than a decade i would shake hands on this with the 10 pick.  

3 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

?

Except if they had a deal in principal beforehand, they would have allowed the jets to discuss the parameters of an extension with deebo which means they also would have done the medical clearance. Which means those things have been kept a total secret. 

• Sympathy 2

41 minutes ago, Rob Moore said:

Precisely….no coach, just forfeit the season.  

He had a similar take years ago when we acquired Brandon Marshall….essentially saying we had no QB so there wasn’t any point to acquiring other pieces.  I know his job is to get viewers/listeners and riling up Jets fans is a good way to do so but that doesn’t erase any of his overall dooshbaggery. 

Well, in retrospect, if we hadn't signed Brandon Marshall, we probably would've struggled to go 8-8 that year and Maccagnan might've been fired a year sooner.

13 minutes ago, ZachWilsonRightArm said:

Couldn’t the Jets just make the pick for the Niners with the understanding that it would be swapping hands once the physical is complete?

13 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

but there are many examples of players being traded for draft picks while the draft is happening.  don't understand how a physical is a hold up here but not all those other picks.

12 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Except if they had a deal in principal beforehand, they would have allowed the jets to discuss the parameters of an extension with deebo which means they also would have done the medical clearance. Which means those things have been kept a total secret. 

Good points 

16 minutes ago, ZachWilsonRightArm said:

Couldn’t the Jets just make the pick for the Niners with the understanding that it would be swapping hands once the physical is complete?

Well, then if Deebo fails the physical we're stuck with a player that we didn't want to draft. What if the Niners wanted Hamilton?

• Upvote 1

if they draft another Tackle, or pass on Thibs, or draft a CB at 4, or trade for deshmo I will be convinced this is the start of another failed rebuild effort and its just a matter of time before the next house cleaning new gm, coaches, players, etc... laughing stock.

47 minutes ago, Shockwave said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Id be very happy drafting burks and having our own bigger/faster version of Deebo homegrown. 

He's taller. Not bigger. He's nine lbs heavier spread over an extra 3 inches of height.

He ran a 4.55

Deebo ran a 4.48

I love Treylon Burks but neither he nor anybody else is homegrown. We're not growing these mfers in test tubes. 

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

imagine keeping all our picks this year and just giving them a 1 next year!

A move like that would tell me that Joe Douglas’ seat is a lot hotter than I thought it was. It would be exciting, though. That’s an all-in kinda move. Deebo and four picks in the top 40 would/should be quite a haul. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, slats said:

A move like that would tell me that Joe Douglas’ seat is a lot hotter than I thought it was. It would be exciting, though. That’s an all-in kinda move. Deebo and four picks in the top 40 would/should be quite a haul. 

It could be rough because that 2023 pick might be a top five pick in what’s predicted to be a loaded class. Would you rather have Deebo at $28 mil per or Alabama’s Will Anderson for pennies? 

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It could be rough because that 2023 pick might be a top five pick in what’s predicted to be a loaded class. Would you rather have Deebo at $28 mil per or Alabama’s Will Anderson for pennies? 

We're not seeing the top five for the next fifteen years until Zach retires. Ring. Of. Honor.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, slats said:

Douglas’ seat is as hot as Zach Wilson makes it next year.

If he bombs it’s over. As it should be.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

We're not seeing the top five for the next fifteen years until Zach retires. Ring. Of. Honor.

Counterpoint: if Zach Wilson is going to be good enough to get us out of that top five range, then we probably don’t need to pay a premium for Deebo Samuel

• Upvote 1