Why Do You Love Cap Space?

Why Do You Love Cap Space  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Why Do You Love Cap Space

• It makes me feel safe.
    • I view the cap space as my own personal bank account.
    • If we aren't going to win games I at least want to have the most cap space.
    • It tastes good.
    • I love lamp.
    • One of these days we're going to trade all the saved cap space in for a Superbowl. Yes, I am the guy who saved my Marlboro miles up for the pool table.
    • Other: Explain

I love cap space because it can be used to sign players and create depth. Should be the first option on the list. Do I love having cap space? No. That means that the team does not have good enough players to fill it. Literally half the point of the salary cap

• Upvote 2

Just now, Beerfish said:

I hate cap space, cap space means you suck.

It usually means the players you drafted are bad and not worth re-signing.

Do you hate cap space, or just having a lot of it?

2 minutes ago, Hex said:

Do you hate cap space, or just having a lot of it?

one equals the other.

We also see every year all the many teams that are above the cap, in cap hell, omg they have no cap do whatever the heck they want in fa and trades.

The other part of having perpetual lots of cap space is you never end up with comp picks.  That adds up over time.

• Upvote 1

I like having cap space because I get to feel the excitement of almost trading for needle moving players only to be disappointed that they don't come here because taxes are high and living conditions are not as good as other states and people on message boards write long run on sentences and make fun of players for being too fat and lazy and the stadium looks like a toaster. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

If we didn't have all that space, people would not have been talking about us when Adams and Hill went on the market.  I am sure that the fact that we have it is not lost on the agents for the other guys due for an extension.  I'm sure Hollywood Brown, DK Metcalf and Deebo Samuel have agents fully aware of how much we can pay and that we are ready to offer up pick(s) for their clients.

• Upvote 1

Cap space made us one of 2 teams able to get Tyreek Hill. 

The Chiefs were forced to trade Tyreek Hill because of their cap situation. 

The Cowboys lost Amari Cooper and a Cedric Wilson and Laell Collins because of their cap situation

Only idiots don't think the cap matters. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Like 1

The lesson in 2022 is that the cap doesn't matter nearly as much as most of us assumed.  If you don't give out bad contracts, and have a savvy GM, you can almost always manipulate your cap situation so that it's a non issue. 

Jets fans like cap space because it creates optimism and hope every offseason that this will be the year that we will finally be able to improve. But having so much cap space year after year is the result of not having enough homegrown players worth paying.

I do think there's a big difference in spending to spend, and building a roster. The problem I have is that building a roster and using the majority of cap space should go hand in hand, yet it always feels like the Jets end up sitting every year on a pile of money while fielding a mediocre (at best) squad).

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, shuler82 said:

The problem I have is that building a roster and using the majority of cap space should go hand in hand, yet it always feels like the Jets end up sitting every year on a pile of money while fielding a mediocre (at best) squad).

what's mediocre, 8 wins?

If Saleh can win 8 games with this schedule and roster and whatever rookies they add between now and then he'll be coach of the year 

At Green Bay, At Denver, At Cleveland, at Seattle, At Minnesota, Baltimore and Cinci at home, the 6 division games, they might actually just be bad this year. 

Somewhere along the way Jets fans accepted that Bad is better than Mediocre.  That's the falsehood that feeds into all this "saving cap" business.

People used to say "we'll never get anywhere winning 7 games a year" and "we need a real rebuild"

now the team has been stripped so bare, they haven't won a division game in two years and seven wins feels like it would be a huge accomplishment 

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

If we didn't have all that space, people would not have been talking about us when Adams and Hill went on the market.  I am sure that the fact that we have it is not lost on the agents for the other guys due for an extension.  I'm sure Hollywood Brown, DK Metcalf and Deebo Samuel have agents fully aware of how much we can pay and that we are ready to offer up pick(s) for their clients.

The Jets are always on speed dial when it comes to a player seeking other suitors to drive up his price with his true intended destination for signing. Has happened before.

Why Do You Love Cap Space

I don't.

In a perfect world, a little cap space would let us make late moves at key spots to get us over the top.

In our real world, it's just unspent money that doesn't serve the team or the goal of winning.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

A lot of people are scarred from the Tuna/Tanny days when we were stuck in cap hell.  These were before the days of manipulating the cap so easily was figured out.  

It forced a few harsh rebuilds.  

Bull$hit. The genius of Tanny was that HE ALWAYS WROTE AN OUT (another astute accountant😁) in the player contracts and extensions he wrote up. The 2013 Cap Hell purge/cuts that Idzik executed was already built in by Tanny to alleviate those 2010 signings when he went all in. 🙄

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

The amount of miles you needed for it wouldve killed me already lol

I used to collect them from the discarded boxes in my HS’s Smoker’s back alley off campus. Saved up 250 Marlboro miles for a sweet ribbed black butane torch lighter with a push button cap to open. I didn’t smoke, but girls always loved to ask me for a light, lol

BCB72589-04B4-45B6-8BBF-8091D6D05B12.jpeg.dac02dbdef987bf265c90f28ceb8d3d4.jpeg

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

A lot of people are scarred from the Tuna/Tanny days when we were stuck in cap hell.  These were before the days of manipulating the cap so easily was figured out.  

It forced a few harsh rebuilds.  

There have always been ways to manipulate and kick the can down the road. But we see with the Chiefs being forced to trade Hill and the Cowboys being forced to trade Cooper and lose half their oline that EVENTUALLLY even with the best cap strategists there is a price to pay. 

You generally don't want to start doing that until your team is on the cusp of actually doing something in the playoffs. If we go 9-8 this year and just miss the playoffs, I am positive JD will be more inclined to start that process of spending more. But to do that this year and then still finish 6-11 would be a complete waste of future cap space. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I love cap space for one off season where you spend it on an impact players 

cap space year after year just to fill potholes means you are riding the hamster  wheel of mediocrity (apologies to whoever cane up with that )

• Upvote 1