Jets’ hunt for elite receivers continues: Some more options

Ryan Dunleavy

The Jets might as well hold up a Help Wanted sign asking for elite receivers.

After showing interest in Amari Cooper (at a potentially reduced price) and finishing as the runner-up in the Tyreek Hill trade, where can they turn next? Free agents Allen Robinson and Christian Kirk are off the board, but the surprise trades of Hill, Cooper and Davante Adams show anyone is available in this bold offseason.

Free agency

Julio Jones, 33: Is the future Hall of Famer washed up? 

The Titans traded a second-rounder for him last offseason but cut him after getting just one touchdown in 10 games of Jones’ second straight injury-plagued season.

Draft

Advertisement

Drake London, 20, USC: Hunt for a red-zone threat ends with the 6-foot-4 skyscraper, who had 88 catches for 1,084 yards and eight touchdowns in eight games before a broken ankle.

Garrett Wilson, 21, Ohio State: Combine 4.38-second speed in the 40-yard dash with a big catch radius and inside/outside versatility and you have a home-run hitter.

Julio Jones and Michael Thomas Julio Jones and Michael Thomas AP; EPA

Trades

Michael Thomas, 29, Saints: Missed all of last season with an ankle injury that seemed to cause a rift in his relationship with the Saints. Is he still worth $51.9 million over the next three years without Drew Brees’ throwing and Sean Payton’s coaching?

Tyler Lockett, 29, Seahawks: Getting better with age, averaging 78 catches for 1,062 yards and nine touchdowns since 2018. He is owed about $50 million through 2025. DK Metcalf supposedly is unavailable even after the rebuilding Seahawks traded Russell Wilson.

DeAndre Hopkins, 29, Cardinals:Clearing out Kyler Murray’s best receiver (owed $41 million over three years) might be one way to afford the quarterback’s demanded big extension, especially if Hopkins’ injury-plagued down season in 2021 was a sign of what’s to come.

we’re füçked, eh? ?

• Haha 4

I think Garrett Wilson is the guy I want to see the Jets draft at receiver. I wouldn't be disappointed if they took London over him, because nobody really knows how draft picks are going to turn out, but if I were making the pick right now it would be Wilson. 

I don't see anybody available right now who could step in and be a legit number 1 receiver for the Jets. Hopkins isn't getting traded. Doesn't sound like Metcalf is either. 

Maybe somebody will pop up and become available like Tyreek Hill did, but that hasn't presented itself yet. Hopefully JD is working the phones.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

Build through the draft. As a crappy team, it's sadly the only way to get better. I have come to realize this offseason that FA is for the powerful and the proven, not for the bottom-feeders.

Best case would be if Jets could get London and Wilson and still have a 1st round pick from trades.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Ryan Dunleavy

The Jets might as well hold up a Help Wanted sign asking for elite receivers.

After showing interest in Amari Cooper (at a potentially reduced price) and finishing as the runner-up in the Tyreek Hill trade, where can they turn next? Free agents Allen Robinson and Christian Kirk are off the board, but the surprise trades of Hill, Cooper and Davante Adams show anyone is available in this bold offseason.

Free agency

Julio Jones, 33: Is the future Hall of Famer washed up? 

The Titans traded a second-rounder for him last offseason but cut him after getting just one touchdown in 10 games of Jones’ second straight injury-plagued season.

Draft

Advertisement

Drake London, 20, USC: Hunt for a red-zone threat ends with the 6-foot-4 skyscraper, who had 88 catches for 1,084 yards and eight touchdowns in eight games before a broken ankle.

Garrett Wilson, 21, Ohio State: Combine 4.38-second speed in the 40-yard dash with a big catch radius and inside/outside versatility and you have a home-run hitter.

Julio Jones and Michael Thomas Julio Jones and Michael Thomas AP; EPA

Trades

Michael Thomas, 29, Saints: Missed all of last season with an ankle injury that seemed to cause a rift in his relationship with the Saints. Is he still worth $51.9 million over the next three years without Drew Brees’ throwing and Sean Payton’s coaching?

Tyler Lockett, 29, Seahawks: Getting better with age, averaging 78 catches for 1,062 yards and nine touchdowns since 2018. He is owed about $50 million through 2025. DK Metcalf supposedly is unavailable even after the rebuilding Seahawks traded Russell Wilson.

DeAndre Hopkins, 29, Cardinals:Clearing out Kyler Murray’s best receiver (owed $41 million over three years) might be one way to afford the quarterback’s demanded big extension, especially if Hopkins’ injury-plagued down season in 2021 was a sign of what’s to come.

we’re füçked, eh? ?

I’d take any of those guys via trade if they’re somehow available 

3 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

So how exactly does one become a NY Post Jets beat writer?

Do you need any qualifications other than "I visit teh Jetnations once a week for an hour"

The first requisite is not to be an antagonizing wise-a$$ who promotes himself as a hairy unkempt ginger heathen bankrupt in civil etiquette. ?

but I think most beat writers go to Syracuse school of communications to answer your question. 

• Haha 1

It's funny how we want to draft or trade for all these guys who were hurt but with Jameson Williams it is OMG!  He was hurt, right in front of our eyes!  Avoid him!

Kyler Murray was so so to okay before they fleeced obrein for hopkins, with hopkins murray looks like an all pro franchise guy, hopkins gets hurt murray turns into a pumpkin so of course zona would want to trade hopkins.....pure lunacy

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

It's funny how we want to draft or trade for all these guys who were hurt but with Jameson Williams it is OMG!  He was hurt, right in front of our eyes!  Avoid him!

Kyler Murray was so so to okay before they fleeced obrein for hopkins, with hopkins murray looks like an all pro franchise guy, hopkins gets hurt murray turns into a pumpkin so of course zona would want to trade hopkins.....pure lunacy

The Jets are so thin at WR and Garrett Wilson looks really good too.   I don’t think there is a chance Wilson is there at 10 though.  

Jameson Williams could be in play at 10.  If they don’t see an EDGE they thing will dominate at 4, I hope they take Wilson at 4.  

3 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

The Jets are so thin at WR and Garrett Wilson looks really good too.   I don’t think there is a chance Wilson is there at 10 though.  

Jameson Williams could be in play at 10.  If they don’t see an EDGE they thing will dominate at 4, I hope they take Wilson at 4.  

Williams was WR numero uno before the injury,  do the Jets have the ability to wait until he is ready.   If Moore, Davis and Berrios could stay healthy until he is ready.  Which is a big if.  Williams is the guy.  The teams that have the ability to wait for him to be healthy will reap the benefits.

12 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

You might be on to something there. I previously thought Sauce was a lock at 4 since it’s 99% Hutch and Thibs will go in top 3. JD got a guard in FA so OL not a priority with our two 1st rounders. And Reed stepping in at CB seems to imply the starting secondary is set with Joyner, Whitehead, Reed and Hall. Sauce would seem a pick that’s not as necessary now. That leaves WR and edge. With the top 2 edges off the board (hypothetically) JD goes WR with that #4 pick OR uses it or the #10, as a trade to pick up a stud WR. But he didn’t do that to entice Chiefs for Hill so, perhaps he’ll try with another team or just grab a WR at 4 or 10. But an elite WR appears to be on JD’s mind. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Jameson had a clean tear. No associated damage like there is a lot of times with ACL tears. The recovery time is less than 12 months for clean tears, and Jameson is already way ahead of schedule in his recovery. 

I am not saying Jameson Williams will be ready to go week 1, but if he is a teams top guy, I wouldn't suggest they shy away from him. He will for sure be fully ready to roll by mid-season. This could be your elite WR for the next 10 years. Who cares if he can't practice until week 4 of his rookie season.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I think Garrett Wilson is the guy I want to see the Jets draft at receiver. I wouldn't be disappointed if they took London over him, because nobody really knows how draft picks are going to turn out, but if I were making the pick right now it would be Wilson. 

I don't see anybody available right now who could step in and be a legit number 1 receiver for the Jets. Hopkins isn't getting traded. Doesn't sound like Metcalf is either. 

Maybe somebody will pop up and become available like Tyreek Hill did, but that hasn't presented itself yet. Hopefully JD is working the phones.

Issue with London is he broke his ankle last year and not sure we want to take anyone in the 1st round with a season ending injury from last year. Heck, we have enough injuries every year and don't need to flirt with college players drafted that high coming off serious injuries.

Honest question regarding Cooks, why has he been on so many teams?  I know he had concussion issues at some point right?  He’s been on 4 teams in 8 seasons, and he’s had a 1000 yard season on ever team.  

So the production is there, but why doesn’t he stick anywhere he goes?  

I’ve never heard that he’s a bad teammate or a bad guy and I’m not insinuating anything, but it’s a valid question.  When I see 4 teams in 8 years, it kicks up a red flag to me….be it deserved or not.

13 minutes ago, Rob Moore said:

Honest question regarding Cooks, why has he been on so many teams?  I know he had concussion issues at some point right?  He’s been on 4 teams in 8 seasons, and he’s had a 1000 yard season on ever team.  

So the production is there, but why doesn’t he stick anywhere he goes?  

I’ve never heard that he’s a bad teammate or a bad guy and I’m not insinuating anything, but it’s a valid question.  When I see 4 teams in 8 years, it kicks up a red flag to me….be it deserved or not.

Great question. I always assumed it was injuries/concussion related but the fewest amount of games he's played the last few seasons is 14.

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/9294/brandin-cooks

23 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Issue with London is he broke his ankle last year and not sure we want to take anyone in the 1st round with a season ending injury from last year. Heck, we have enough injuries every year and don't need to flirt with college players drafted that high coming off serious injuries.

All this kind of makes him the perfect JD pick, though doesn't it? 

In terms of predicting what JD will do, not what we want JD to do. 

JD looks at free agents like Carl Lawson with 2 torn ACLs, Corey Davis making it through 1 full season out of 5 with TEN. JD drafts players with injuries (Zuniga, Bryce Hall) with seemingly no care about their medicals. 

Heck Zach Wilson tore two labrums (one in each shoulder) in college and JD didn't flinch. 

Drake London coming off a broken ankle is exactly JD's style  

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

50 minutes ago, fullblast said:

I'd throw AJ Brown and Terry McLaurin into the mix as well. Both should be looking for new contracts this offseason. Maybe an opportunity there.

Hard to imagine either is made available but we're desperate (and bored).

This would excite me.  But why would the Titans look to move him?  Last year of his contract, but they are a playoff team looking to win now.  Would love this, but I think it is a longshot.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, bitonti said:

All this kind of makes him the perfect JD pick, though doesn't it? 

In terms of predicting what JD will do, not what we want JD to do. 

JD looks at free agents like Carl Lawson with 2 torn ACLs, Corey Davis making it through 1 full season out of 5 with TEN. JD drafts players with injuries (Zuniga, Bryce Hall) with seemingly no care about their medicals. 

Heck Zach Wilson tore two labrums (one in each shoulder) in college and JD didn't flinch. 

Drake London coming off a broken ankle is exactly JD's style  

Omg this literally made me LOL and cry at the same time. Smfh it’s always harsh truths with us 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

6 or 7 first round talents at wr this year.  This class is loaded with them.

We need to get 2 of them this year.  "Douglas!!!  Get me 2!"

Cooper for a 5th and 20 million sounds real nice right about now huh?

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

15 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

6 or 7 first round talents at wr this year.  This class is loaded with them.

We need to get 2 of them this year.  "Douglas!!!  Get me 2!"

Yea

we can snag wilson, jj, breece and trey with our first 4 and thats a really nice haul

1 hour ago, fullblast said:

I'd throw AJ Brown and Terry McLaurin into the mix as well. Both should be looking for new contracts this offseason. Maybe an opportunity there.

Hard to imagine either is made available but we're desperate (and bored).

JD gets this done, i will personally pull the #11 off of Mims bum a** ?